Start by marking “Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past” as Want to Read:
Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past

Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past

“Readthis book to learn how to create a company as powerful as Apple.”—Guy Kawasaki,former chief evangelist of AppleInEscape Velocity Geoffrey A. Moore, author of the marketing masterwork Crossingthe Chasm, teaches twenty-first century enterprises how to overcome thepull of the past and reorient their organizations to meet a new era ofcompetition. The world’s leading high- ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by Harper Business

To ask other readers questions about Escape Velocity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape Velocity

Start your review of Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
Scott Wozniak
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is another mixed bag. Some parts are worth a five star rating. But the book as a whole isn't put together well. First, it's very formal and technical in it's writing style--like a business school PhD paper. I say PhD because it's got real depth and insight, but also because he seemed to look for the longer, more complicated way of saying things. Also, one of the cool parts of the book is overdone--there are so many models for thinking about how to separate from the pack. I like lots of ...more
Tõnu Vahtra
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not as groundbreaking as Crossing the Chasm, but generally useful read.
Companies have a structural bias for investing in things today that cause it to starve out the new products and services that will generate growth in the next 2 -3 years.

Hierarchy of powers:
Category Power – the demand for a class of products, for example smart phones, fuel-efficient cars, or energy bars.
*Category maturity lifecycle
*Growth/Maturity Matrix
*Horizon model

Company Power – the relative status and prospect for your
Magnus Härlin
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Some good points but very enterprisey kind of book. Useful in organisations with many layers of managers.
Omar El-mohri
Feb 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-copy, 2021
It feels too vague except some realistic examples, but the end it doesn’t feel you’d understand what’s needed to escape the velocity
Neeraj Kumar
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
It provides a series of frameworks for big companies to continue investing in linear and non-linear growth and innovation projects. It focuses on companies having outside-in focus vs many established companies who tend to start solving problems for themselves after a period of time.
Julian Dunn
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Geoffrey Moore is the Rainer Maria Rilke of business authors. So much insight is packed into each sentence that you have to read each chapter very slowly to ensure you absorb everything. Fortunately for the business executive, this book is only about 200 pages long. It's stuffed to the brim with Moore's no-nonsense roadmap for achieving escape velocity, that is, overcoming inertia ("we've always done it this way; why change?") at companies both large and small.

The challenge is not in getting exe
Deane Barker
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a classic business strategy book by the author of "Crossing the Chasm." It's not really practical advice -- the author concedes that it's a "framework of frameworks" that help you think about your company's future.

More specifically, he talks about "power" in several domains:

* **Category Power:** The relative demand for the category of product you offer.
* **Company Power:** The relative power your company has relative to its competitors.
* **Market Power:** The relative power your company
Horia
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a thought provoking book and will give you a lot of tools to tackle specific problems as well as a general framework for when you need a vision, strategy or better execution.
It's designed to be more of a manual, something you pick-up again in 4 months and start applying the frameworks.

Best phrase I've learned from the book = "majoring in minors"
Edward Robert
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
First couple chapters are a little dull, but once you get tot he meat of it and the case studies, it is pretty good. I am not a business person (I am a software engineer), but a lot of people in my company are reading this book and I learned quite a bit about differentiation.
Amr Elnahla
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting, but aside from the five powers framework, it's knowledge in many other startup-centric books. ...more
Daniel Blazquez
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A traditional strategy framework based on a 9-points plan, covering the process of innovation from target customer identification, to marketing positioning. Quick read and easy to follow.
Bart Du Bois
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent, will need to reread a few times to fully grasp it, though.
Matthew Bynum
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOTS of great information in here about innovation and overcoming the innovator's dilemma. ...more
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past by Geoffrey Moore was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2011.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

In Escape Velocity: Free Your Company’s Future from the Pull of the Past, author and tech industry expert Geoffrey A. Moore attempts to help executives stand up to the pressure of repeating their current success story.

One would assume that with Moore’s feet firmly planted in the tech world that hi
Mikal
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The best strategy book I've come across in a long time.

The challenge with strategy is like that with other fields such as technology, is that a new paradigm emerges often once a decade or so, and in-between, while publishing or press ink does not slow-- the field focuses on refining the field's philosophy and toolkit. This 'in-between' state is where I'd argue the field of strategy has been since Chen's Blue Ocean Strategy.

Escape velocity is one of those once in a decade books. While written wi
Li Li
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best portfolio management books I have read so far. As an operation lead for a Fortune 500 high-tech company, this is exactly what I need.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is in the position of portfolio managing over $1B Complex-system (high-tech) company. It provides the prescription for generating sustainable future growth within an established enterprise. All the frameworks explained in the book are not just theories, they are practical guide. I worked for the C company that Moo
Jacob
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a really interesting book for someone who is looking at a mature & successful organization and who is interested in helping it continue to evolve and innovate. Ultimately success breeds complacency, and this is even more likely with organizations than with individuals. How to utilize the organization's strengths to break its current form is a subtle and interesting process when described by Moore.

This sounds like the usual business book fodder, but Moore mixes many insights into every c
Caroline Gordon
This is one of those seminal books that I'll be returning to many times, in fact I plan to read it 4 or 5 times cover to cover. I'd like to write some really meaty blog posts distilling and absorbing some of the key points, it is really worth studying and analysing this book.
The breakthrough for me was after so many years living in product companies seeing the struggle to create new innovations along side doing business today and thinking that the 'problem' was something specific like 'we need a
Josh Steimle
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
As with Moore's other books, this one is full of good wisdom culled from personal experience and research. The content is rather focused on technology companies, and large ones at that, but it is not difficult to distill lessons that can be applied to most, if not all, types and sizes of businesses. I run a small Internet marketing firm and I found plenty of relevant points.

A lot of the content will fit right in for those who are fans of Clayton Christensen and the Innovator's Dilemma and Innova
Devin Partlow
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
THE "playbook" for growing you mid-large business... if leading by playbook is your sort of thing. This book goes into amazing detail about the strategies of growing you business by taking over niches, dominating the mainstream, and optimizing the old stuff. This book is so detailed that I wonder if it cannibalized the consulting firm's business that is behind this book.

If you need marching orders on how to grow your business, this is the book for you.
Richard
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Great book to have on your book shelf, the one in your office, if you want to be seen as thrustworthy and vigorous. Also useful for curing mild insomnia, and/or tossing at someone to get their attention.

Yes there is some useful stuff in the book, but you have to wade through a lot of repetition to get to those suggest of wisdom.

Seriously, this is the book to buy the brother-in-law that you don't like, but have to be nice to.
Ahmed Y.
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: product-strategy
Great insight into strategic thinking in the technology sector. Very informative and useful case studies at the end of each chapter.

I am sure I will reference the book again and again especially for the suggested frameworks.

That’s my first book for Geoffrey Moore. Looking to a get another book for sure.
James Kohli
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fairly interesting and modern business studies. I actually liked this a lot more than most business model generation books I've read, it feels a lot more relevant to the current technology market. There are a LOT of frameworks, though. ...more
Petyo Ivanov
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read for business noob

My copy is full of highlights. Worth re-reading. Gives a great vocabulary for concepts otherwise hard to articulate. A bit dense, but not too much.
Brandon Carlson
Started off a bit slow for me, but it picked up. Seems like decent advice although I thought some of his analysis on Apple was suspect.
Prana Business
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Simply fantastic. Geoffrey Moore has a real talent and voice when it comes to business books. This is a MUST READ for any executive or board member.
Bill
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Rather dull and basic. I normally enjoy Moore, not for new learning but rather for remembering. This wasn't up to snuff. ...more
Bryan
Feb 03, 2016 added it
Didn't find this nearly as compelling as Crossing the Chasm ...more
Pugal Panneerselvam
Feb 12, 2016 is currently reading it
great book. I would highly recommend it
Jeroen in UK
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Just brilliant; page after page great lessons to be learned

• The Startup Way: Making Entrepreneurship a Fundamental Discipline of Every Enterprise
  • The Leader's Guide
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Startup Lessons Learned, Season Two
  • Startup Lessons Learned: Season One 2008 - 2009
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • How to Build a Billion Dollar App
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • The Innovator's DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators
  • Lean Customer Development: Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • For the Win
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
Geoffrey Moore is an author, speaker, and advisor who splits his consulting time between start-up companies in the Mohr Davidow portfolio and established high-tech enterprises, most recently including Salesforce, Microsoft, Intel, Box, Aruba, Cognizant, and Rackspace.

Moore’s life’s work has focused on the market dynamics surrounding disruptive innovations. His first book, Crossing the Chasm, focus

News & Interviews

When it comes to the romance genre, second books can be a bit like second dates, can't they? You've had that great initial meet-cute with...
“Now if we map the three horizons onto the Growth/Materiality Matrix, we can see how they intersect with portfolio management (see Figure 2.5).” 0 likes