Start by marking “Holy Brother: Inspiring Stories and Enchanted Tales about Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach” as Want to Read:

Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach was one of the most original and inspired Jewish personalities of the twentieth century. In this incredible volume, Yitta Halberstam Mandelbaum, a devoted student of Reb Shlomo, gathers dozens of stories about this charismatic, loving Jewish leader. The episodes retold here by Reb Shlomo's followers and admirers underscore his unfailing generosity, h ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Jason Aronson (first published July 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Brother

Esti
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
With all the chaos in the world, and the constant barrage of bad news in Israel, I needed something positive and uplifting to enjoy over Shabbat. This book has been on my shelf for a long time and I'm glad I took it down. I love Reb Shlomo's music and was part of the "Happy Minyan" in Los Angeles for a number of years. It's inspiring to read people's recollections of him and how he made the world a better place. Sometimes the stories are a bit over the top, but all in all I'm left with a feeling ...more
Daniel Stern
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book for anyone interested in an account of a modern zaddik—a Jewish holy man. For those who had some contact with Shlomo, it is "not to be missed" account of how truly extraordinary he was. I saw him three times in concert and was very moved. This book helped me to understand just how great and amazing a man he was.

Here are so many unbelievable stories of love and miracles-good for readers of all faiths and no faith. Beautifully written too.
Mark Klempner
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It is a treasure trove of stories about the great spiritual figure Shlomo Carlebach. The stories are very well organized with the themed chapters and all. Sometimes I wish the author had an appreciation for the power of understatement because sometimes the accounts were a bit gushy and hyperbolic without needing to be. But it is such a valuable collection that I am giving it five stars anyway.
Ronald
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that I wouldn't have been aware of had it not have been bought to my attention by Mrs Levene of Levene's Judaica 5th Ave NY. The book comprises short inspiring and true stories of the late Rebbe Shlomo Carlbach. It is a heart warming read of kind acts, faith and trust about a generous and very special man.
Susan Rothenberg
The book is a collection of memories of people who had know Rabbi Shlomo Carlbach and upon whom the rabbi had a lasting effect. The tales are profoundly moving. If only half of them are accurate, he truly was a holy man. Read it a secong time between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
Ayden
May 08, 2011
Following The Ancient Paths
Dec 08, 2018
Mordy
rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2018