Start by marking “Then Came You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #1)” as Want to Read:
Then Came You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #1)

Then Came You

(The Gamblers of Craven's #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  24,719 ratings  ·  1,303 reviews
A woman with a secret . . .

Reckless beauty Lily Lawson delights in shocking London society. She will break any rule to get what she wants . . . and she is determined to stop her younger sister from marrying Alex, Lord Wolverton, a handsome and arrogant earl who has vowed never to fall in love.

A man who will do anything to possess her . . .

To Alex's fury, the headstrong hel
Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Published September 30th 2003 by Avon (first published June 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Then Came You, please sign up.
❄️ Katelyn the Winter Queen ❄️ In Devil in Winter, there’s a reference to Cravens, the other gambling establishment besides Jenner’s (the owner being Ivo Jenner, Evangeline’s Dad) T…moreIn Devil in Winter, there’s a reference to Cravens, the other gambling establishment besides Jenner’s (the owner being Ivo Jenner, Evangeline’s Dad) This story is about the owner of Cravens. Worth the read 😉(less)

·  24,719 ratings  ·  1,303 reviews

Start your review of Then Came You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #1)
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Lily Lawson is such a great heroine. This is one of the books I love more for the heroine than the hero, although I really loved Alex Raiford. This is Lily's story. She is not perfect and she is considered a fallen woman. But the grit, and the determination she has makes you love her for who she is. Alex cannot resist her, and falls hard for her. I thought this book was so passionate and intense. The words just jump off the page and into your heart.

Keira Knightley as Lily

Matthew Marsden as Alex

Kristen
3 to 3 1/2 Stars

This is my first Lisa Kleypas book and there is not doubt that she is one INCREDIBLE writer. I can see why most of my Goodreads friends love and consider her one of their all-time favorite romance novelists. Unfortunately, this book didn't work for me like I had hoped. While I adored and fell head-over-heels in love with the hero, Alex, I can't say the same for the heroine, Lily. I started the book very much loving her vivacious, witty, and incorrigible behavior; however, by the
Warda
Aug 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt nothing.
edge of bubble
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
spoiler warning

There is a huge misunderstanding. Hero is leaving with his righteous anger. Heroine calls out to him and he stops. Heroine explains without turning it into huge ball of omissions. They talk it out and solve the problem. Aaannd romance readers everywhere cries!!!

Finally! This book gets a 5 stars rating just for that scene from me. I really liked the heroine and the hero as a cherry on top =)
Ursula
I re-read this one, needing a book where I could really LOVE the hero after plowing through a surfeit of tortured, arse-hole heroes.

And I certainly do love the hero, Alex. Fabulous book- Kleypas at her best. We have a strong yet vulnerable heroine, Lily. And we have a passionate, caring hero who does his utmost to win Lily's trust and support her through everything. An interesting (and emotional) sub-plot as well.
Just a really wonderful romance with a capital "R".

If you are looking for a bastard
Sam (AMNReader)
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was a bit of a mixed bag. I enjoyed both characters in their own right, but they also both did inexcusable things to one another. By the end they were quite charming, but this book was actually fairly horrifying at times.
Susana
Addictive for certain, but did it have to had so much drama?
If this had been cut to half its size, it would get a solid four star rating!
As it was, it was just too much: I am an emotional wreck by now, and it's six o'clock in the morning! o_O

The positives:
The banter between the main characters.
The fact that they pretty much hate each other guts on sight, and for quite some time (yes, I choose to place this amongst the positives, lol)

The fact that neither of them is your typical a hundred per cen
Mo
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. Strong heroine. Strong hero. Bit of a back story with her history.

Oh she hadn't expected to enjoy this so much. She had never felt such pure delight in provoking a man.

"Lily, don't be afraid. I want to please you. Trust me."

"Say yes," his fingers curled into her hair.
"Say yes, darling."

Bit pressed for time with reviews at the moment.

It was unfashionable for a husband to dote openly on his wife, but Alex didn't seem to care.

Rane
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing

I loved this book, that after I finished reading it, I flipped to the first page and started to re-read it again.

At first glance Alex Raiford is your typical A Alpha Male, wanting it his way or the highway. But slowly your shown what has left Alex so cold and unfeeling and that he’s finally has to see that he’s been hiding behind this pain and building a wall around himself and the one person he didn’t want around him in a million years is the one who opens his eyes.

Lily is a cutting, gambli
Eastofoz
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tammy, Kathrynn, Isis, JJ; lovers of Loretta Chase's "Lord of Scoundrels"
What a page turner this turned out to be! It was nearly impossible to put down. This is right up there with Loretta Chase’s “Lord of Scoundrels” in terms of deliciously wicked banter between the h/h and the love-hate relationship is broiling hot with lots of unexpected twists and turns.

Alex is one short tempered, bossy man who cannot handle not being in control all the time. He just can’t stand the “screw you”, devil-may-care attitude of Lily Lawson and does everything he can to get one up on h
Stacey is Sassy
After all these years, still 5 stars

At the halfway point, I was certain that I must have been reading a different book to the one I had rated 5 stars. I was blubbering like a baby, swearing at men in general and calling Alex a bugger, bugger, poo bum git head (my most scathing insult). Had I got it all wrong? Maybe, I had read it with rose coloured glasses? It became imperative that I go on. I had to confirm that Lisa Kleypas is and was one of the Queens of Historical Romance.

What a bloody fool
Lover of Romance
Originally Posted At Addicted To Romance.
I was shocked to learn I hadn't done reviews on this series and that has GOTTA change now!! Because quite frankly both of these books are amazing. But let me discuss the first book in the series...Then Came You. Now what is so great about this book?? Well quite frankly quite a bit. We have our heroine, who is unconventional, wild and free and doesn't like to be tied to. She likes to ride, hunt, shoot, wear trousers and jump into freezing waters for a thr
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Although I’d previously read and loooved Kleypas’s Travis’s series, this was the first historical romance of hers that I read, and it’s no wonder that she’s such an incredibly popular romance author. The relationship between wild spitfire spinster Lily Lawson and stodgy Alex, Lord Raiford, from bitter antagonism to explosive passion that turns to cordial respect and then deep affection, is sheer magic to behold. This book inflamed my LK admiration that fi
Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell
This was one of the first romances I ever read and I really, really liked it, but I read it almost ten years ago. Hope it goes on sale soon because I really want to pick it up and see if it's as good as I remember. :)

What was your first romance?
Azet
Lisa Kleypas creates a carnal magical love-story between the spirited and scandalous beauty of a heroine Wilhemina "Lily" Lawson,and the one man she refuses her sister to marry, the head-strong and noble hero Alex Raiford. Alex with his realistic but tortured mind..can`t get over how quickly this wild-flower changes his whole life,soul and heart.These two head ahead together are MAGIC,and Lisa Kleypas is a master storyteller as usual in the way she presents these passionate characters,and their ...more
Korrie’s Korner
4.5 Gypsy stars!!

Well my Lisa Kleypas Cherry has officially been popped, and I now have a new unicorn author. I’m hooked on her writing! Historical Romance is my absolute favorite genre, and I’m so happy that Lisa didn’t disappoint at all.

“If you’re not quiet,” he interrupted with soft menace, “I’m going to give you the spanking of your life.”

“I’ve never been struck before tonight,” she said in a muffled, accusing voice. “My father never dared—” “He never gave a damn,” Alex replied curtly. “And
♥Sharon♥
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It is no secret that as of recent Lisa Kleypas is my go to author. I’m loving her Historical Romances. My first book by her was Sugar Daddy (Travis Series) and since then I don’t believe there has been book that I have read by her that hasn’t been a 4 or 5 star read. For me her storytelling is always engaging and entertaining. I adore her characters and the fact that love never really comes easy for them. There is always a challenge.

There was no insta-love between the heroine and hero but in th
Eni
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is so

Steelwhisper
So that was my first Kleypas.

I hope to god that the other two I unfortunately also bought sight unseen aren't as bad as this one, because this was pretty rotten reading up to when I and the book parted ways.

Most importantly, I couldn't at all connect to the prose. It was brittle, unemotional and as dry as tinder, not to speak of very, very boring.

Boring appears to be a staple for this book, because inspite of their antics I found both H and h to be utterly yawn-inducing. In fact, if the most e
Sharon
This book started out rather good. The protagonist was bold and funny and independent. Also, my heart ached for her because her child was kidnapped. It was certainly emotional at times because of that.

However, she started making really bad decisions, and it went downhill from there. And I get it. Desperation makes you do stupid things. However, I also wanted her to make smart choices, if she really wanted to find her child, and if she really wanted to be happy. It was just…complicated. There wer
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
2.5

There is a lot of drama in this book, but I didn't mind that much.
Then Came You gives you two very stubborn and strong-willed people clashing for the most of the story.

It all starts when Lily decides that a man her younger sister is going to marry is not going to be good for her. I didn't get that. Only because he was unpleasant the first time they talked. You can't blame him for that really, because the first time he saw her was at a party when she jumped into the Thames to get her bonnet.
Bekah
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book made me fall in love with Lisa Kleypas again. I had devoured her books years ago, and then things happend and I just stopped reading altogether, and then I picked this up...This is one of those books where once the hero has decided to stop being stubborn, he falls like a 100 pound cement block! :-) Luckily for Lisa she has this ability to write these stories that make you want to pick them back up and feel that tenderness again and again, and thus makes her books 'keepers'!

Reread: Marc
Annie
Wow. I’m sensing another Kleypas craze coming on! Have I ever said how much I love this woman!? I may have mentioned once or twice, but I absolutely adore her historicals! No one can really compare with her. Kleypas is simply the historical romance queen!

Although this book wasn’t my favourite of her works, it was still pretty damn good! At first I wasn’t too fond of Lily. She was too showy, cared too much about being the center of attention and I didn’t like that at all. Lily says she doesn’t be
Rachel
Overall rating: 5 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimacy with om/ow: (view spoiler)

HEA: (view spoiler)

My review
Audrey
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
After waffling between a four and a five, I'm going for broke and slapping a fiver on this wonderful story. Lily is a magnificent heroine. She just feels so REAL in everything she says and does. She's audacious and bold and makes mistakes, but she also has very human quirks and vulnerabilities that she doesn't want to reveal to anyone (or doesn't trust to reveal) after having gone so long only relying on her own independence. When Alex comes along and is smitten almost from the start, she doesn' ...more
MG *Bury Me with My Kindle.. & a REALLY Long Charger*
3 1/2 stars

To most, Lady Lily Lawson ("Lawless Lily") is a scandalous, devil-may-care woman who doesn't care what anyone thinks and yet earns the admiration and respect of the men with whom she hunts, gambles, and banters almost as an equal. Though everyone believes she is his paramour, Lily's closest (and platonic) friend and confidante, Derek Craven, who is the owner of the most opulent gaming hell in London, is the only one who really knows her private pain. Alex is Lord Wolverton, the always
Somia
3.5 STARS

It’s been an age since I’ve read this LK book, and on a night where I couldn’t get to sleep this was a lovely escape. This is a book high on drama, so before picking it up ensure you’re in the mood, I certainly was. If you want a book super high on juicy drama that you know is unrealistic (especially given the era the book/characters are situated in), and for that reason is difficult to put down this is the book for you.

Reckless/scandalous beauty Lily Lawson and Alex, Lord Wolverton cla
Becca
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it
There is no doubt that Lisa Kleypas is a gifted writer. I breeze through her books so quickly! However, I never seem to finish her books satisfied with the love story. I think I've figured out why. Lisa kleypas' stories usually have very volatile characters. For many, I think they feel like the volatility adds greats drama and a perception of passion. For me, it just doesn't ring true...most likely because I've never bought fully into the opposites attract thing nor violence in a sexual relation ...more
Mei
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This oldie made me laugh! Lily was so unexpected and reckless! LOL

At the beginning I was incredulous about her antics, but I started loving her when she showed her love for her sister!

She's incredibly devious and she's not afraid of Alex who terrifies everybody else! She's so deternimed to break the engagement between him and her sister that she will stop at nothing at all! When Alex, exasperated by her scheming, throw her out of his home (and what a scene that was with her luggage flying out th
Carolyn
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kleypas-lisa
Re-reading.

I forgot how spicy these books are! Still an enjoyable read.

• A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
  • Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Splendid (The Splendid Trilogy, #1)

The Gamblers of Craven's (2 books)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)