Start by marking “Blue Dahlia (In the Garden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Dahlia (In the Garden, #1)

Blue Dahlia

(In the Garden #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  64,017 ratings  ·  1,363 reviews
Recently widowed Stella Rothschild has found a new love in Logan Kitridge. But there is someone who isn't happy about Stella's growing feelings for Logan: the Harper Bride, an unidentified woman whose grief and rage have kept her spirit alive long past the death of her body.
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published December 2nd 2004 by Piatkus (first published October 26th 2004)

·  64,017 ratings  ·  1,363 reviews

Cyndi
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A good romance and beginning of the trilogy. The hero is a bit hard to fall in love with, and the beginning is terribly sad, but the story comes around. Of course, It's Nora Roberts so its well written and the characters are developing perfectly.
Stella moves back to Tennessee after losing her husband. She wants to raise her two sons closer to her father. There she lands the perfect job and makes some wonderful friends. But when she moves into the Harper House, she meets the Harper Ghost.
Nora
Jane Stewart
2 stars. Not enough story. Not enough plot. Characters were nice people but not compelling enough for a story.

My mind kept wandering. A lot of conversation about ordinary things. Characters did not interest or intrigue me. Stella likes to organize and manage things. Logan is creative and artistic with his landscaping but appears disorganized in other things. I wasn’t drawn to the relationship. The sex scenes didn’t do anything for me.

The plot surrounding the ghost was not well developed and not
Kristen
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Nora Roberts's Blue Dahlia, she introduced to three women who came together to work in a garden nursery in rural Tennessee. First, there's Stella Rothchild, a recent young widow with two young sons have moved back to her hometown to be closer to her family. She met Roz Harper, who owned the Harper House and ran the flowery nursery. She wasn't intimated by her, since she tried to escape the ghosts of the past. As she settled down into her new life, she met expectant young mother Hayley and for ...more
Sombra
3,5 estrellas.

No puedo y nunca seré imparcial con esta autora. Nora Roberts para mí es de las mejores en el campo de la contemporánea y hay muy cosas historias que ella haya escrito y no me hayan gustado, interesado o entretenido.

En esta ocasión, tenemos una historia entretenida y con un misterioso fantasma de por medio, lo que lo hace más enganchable.

Con unos protagonistas totalmente opuestos, Stella y Logan han tenido escenas de todo tipo, pero sobre todo divertidas, ya que sus personalidades
Obsidian
Nothing really to say except that I love this series. After trying to start the inn series by Nora Roberts, I ended up seeing so many similarities to "In the Garden" that I happily DNFed the first book in the inn series and decided to re-read this one.

I love gardening and the outdoors so this series was always fun to me. We have some romance and some characters that I actually enjoyed enough to revisit through three books.

"Blue Dahlia" is the first book in the series and follows single mother a
Patricia
One review said that next to the ghosty atmosphere and romance, this novel also contains lots of gardening tips.

I don't really do flowers or nature. I mean, I like green. As, maybe, a wallpaper. Or pullovers when children wear them. We used to have a green bird, too. Sweet thing. Obnoxiously loud.

For f-cks sake, I'm probably the only human being, next to Bree's sex-addicted boyfriend in Desperate Housewives, who killed a cactus. In cold blood.

I'm a cruel, evil person and I get crazy obsessed
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

Like the Bride Quartet, this book is more about women running a business and their friendship. Even the ghost was more important than the romance, which was lukewarm and not very exciting. I never got the impression that the hero and heroine even liked each other, so I'm not sure how they fell in love.

I'm not that interested in gardens so all the talk about plants bored me to death. If I had liked the main character, maybe I could have enjoyed the book more, but Stella was a control
Marisa Sauco
Dalia azul” es el primer libro de la Trilogía del Jardín.
La historia me gustó (creo que es casi imposible que no me guste alguna historia de Nora Roberts), pero me faltó un poco más de romance entre los protagonistas.
Entiendo que en esta primera parte la autora tenga que hacer la presentación de todos los personajes y ponernos en situación sobre el conflicto principal de la trilogía, pero me faltó emoción y esa química tan característica entre sus protagonistas.
♡Karlyn P♡
Started off great, even made me cry after the first few chapters. Then the story moved ahead a few years and it went downhill from there. Just slow, touchy-feely fluff in a small southern town. That may appeal to many, but it became boring for me.
Ashley
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I needed a ghost book for a challenge and picked this up and it ended up being really good! I liked the characters and the little family that came together throughout the story, I'm glad the same characters are in the rest of this series. I didn't think I would like this because of something Stella went through in the beginning and I'm not big on sad type stories, but once it was over it didn't drag her down for long. And Logan was funny. I need to know more about the Harper Bride, I will read t ...more
Alba Turunen
3’5 Estrellas, pero se queda con 4 porque el romance de los protagonistas, y sobre todo Logan, me han encantado.

Con “Dalia azul” comienza la trilogía del Jardín, una serie ambientada en una gran mansión colonial en Tennessee, cuyos dueños, los descendientes de la rica familia Harper, se dedican al cultivo y venta de flores y plantas.

Nuestra protagonista, Stella, es una mujer que lo tenía todo, una familia normal, con su marido y sus dos hijos pequeños. Pero la tragedia llamó a su puerta y se enc
Amber
Stella Rothchild's life comes crashing down on her when her husband Kevin dies in a plane crash. Willing for a fresh start, she uproots her boys and takes them back to her home place of Memphis, Tennessee to be closer to her father and Stepmother. Stella goes to Harper house where she is hired on by lady of the house Rosalind Harper to work in her nursery In the Garden as a manager. Her only condition is that Stella and her children must live in Harper House for the first months of her employmen ...more
Majo's Library.
Dalia Azul… ¿Qué pensar después de leer este libro? Simplemente me encantó.

Primero que nada, y admitiendo que no soy una (gran) fan de la literatura rosa, considero este libro como sumamente dulce. Si, no puedo calificarlo con otro adjetivo. De una lectura extremadamente fácil y rápida, con personajes sencillos y trama (aunque también simple) solida.

Roberts no se equivocó al optar por los clásicos personajes que intentan no caer en una relación relativamente “difícil” por circunstancias similar
Karen Syed
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This one is a keeper. It's one of those books that I don't think I would have normally read, but I was going on a trip and needed an unabridged audio for a long trip. I am totally pleased with the end result. Blue Dahlia is a fun and invigorating read. Logan is a great hero, and Stella is a delightful thorn in his side.

When Stella's husband dies in a freak accident, she is forced to take on a new type of life. She moves back to her birthplace in Tennessee and takes a job at Harper House. Her ne
Celeste
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I know I’ve read this series before, but it’s one of the few Nora Roberts trilogies that I don’t remember clearly. Which meant that I needed to reread them immediately!

This isn’t my favorite Nora series, but it’s still fun and sweet with just enough mystery to add some flavor to the narrative. In the Garden is a nursery business set up by Rosalind Harper on her family estate, and she’s on the hunt for a manager. Stella Rothschild would give her right arm to become that manager. She and her boys
Cyndy Aleo
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Nora Roberts books are a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine. Sure, she technically writes romance novels, but her books are always so well-researched you feel like you are actually learning something. Blue Dahlia is the first novel in her In the Garden series, and the gardener in me LOVES all the references she weaves into the story.

::: In the Garden :::

Blue Dahlia is the introduction to the story of three women who all work at a gardening store called (you guessed it) In the Garden. Roz Harper Ashb
✨Susan✨
A very typical Nora Roberts, with a good friendship story, a new romance, a birth and a ghost. Stella is a newly widowed, mother of two boys who moves back to her hometown in Tennessee, looking for a fresh start and a safe new place for them to settle. She ends up at a garden nursery owned by Roz, a strong older woman who provides her with a satisfying job and a safe roof over their heads at Harper House.

It is well known that a harmless, female ghost who is very protective of children inhabits
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I liked the author's other series about an Inn, 3 brothers, a bookstore, etc. And now found a new favorite.

This was a pretty good start. And liked that the ghost character was introduced from the beginning and is mentioned again as the story gets going.

The characters you like and get a hint as to what their story will be in the next book. Plus Logan I think is one of my favorites. While he and Stella bicker and try to get along, he's at least honest but at the same time unsure of some things. A
Kara Jorges
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Stella Rothchild's world comes apart the night her husband dies in a plane crash, leaving her to raise their two boys alone. When Stella makes a fresh start a couple years later, she moves to the city of her birth, Memphis, Tennessee, to be closer to her father and stepmother. She takes a job at In the Garden, a garden center run by Roz Harper, an admirable woman 10 years older than Stella. Roz stipulates that Stella and her children must live in Harper House, her ancestral home, for the first f ...more
Lyn* Nomad *Worlds await*
I'd forgotten how much I loved Logan.
Omaira
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Con un comienzo prometedor, esta historia va decayendo rápidamente y solo mantiene algo de interés gracias a los personajes secundarios y a un fantasma que va cobrando protagonismo poco a poco. La parte de romance no la vi creíble, más que nada porque la compenetración de la pareja es casi nula y porque pasan más tiempo discutiendo o ignorándose que conociéndose de verdad. No sé cómo será el resto de la trilogía, pero en base a lo que vi aquí, veo posible que los otros libros sean mejores y no ...more
Mari Carmen
No había leído hasta hoy nada de Nora Roberts, y sí, me ha gustado, sobretodo porque sus personajes femeninos son compañeras, amigas, no rivales a derrotar.Y porque a pesar de que algún chascarrillo hay, no son relaciones machistas.
El punto de misterio que introduce la autora me ha gustado mucho y me ha dejado ganas de seguir leyendo la trilogía.
Noelia
3,5. Hacía tiempo que una novela no me enganchaba para leerla sin parones largos y ésta sí me ha enganchado. Por eso recurro a Nora Roberts cuando me estanco en las lecturas. La relación de Stella y Logan es muy divertida, pasan del odio al amor con ayuda de los pequeños Gavin y Luke, que son adorables. El fantasma me intriga, y Mitch también. Buen inicio de serie, no sé por qué no la había leído todavía.
Tina
Stella Rothschild's husband suddenly dies and she is left alone with two young sons. Devastated and afraid, Sarah grieves but eventually turns her attention toward the future. She moves from Michigan to start all over again in Memphis, the place where she was born and her father now lives. There she gets a job as a manager of a nursery/garden shop. She quickly becomes friends with Roz, the enigmatic owner of the shop, her new boss and owner of Harper house where Stella lives as a condition of he ...more
Reen
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
The story was okay and kept my interest but the characters, especially Stella, I just found annoying. She was just too tightly wound for me. The ending is what really disappointed me. Listening to it in the car, even my son said, "that's it? Is there a sequel? There are way to many loose ends here and I haven't even listened to the whole book!" That about sums it up!!
Diana
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w
2019 Popsugar Reading Challenge #11 Un libro con una planta en el título o portada.

Se me hace cansado hacer una reseña de este libro así que solo pondré cuatro puntos negativos:
1)Las descripciones son super pobres ¿Qué significa para ella cuando dice que algo es "sexy", "masculino", "suave" o "bruto"? Simplemente solo pone "Huele sexy" xD Hasta me daba mucha pena de leer.
2)Super bonito su sororidad pero me desconcierta cuando los perosnajes femeninos hablan de personas fuera de su circulo famili
Paloma orejuda (Pevima)
Pues... fue muy difícil terminarlo. Me parecía que leía y leía y no avanzaba, porque pasar, pasa muy poco.

1. La historia. Una mujer viuda con dos hijos que emprende una nueva vida en el lugar donde nació, con un empleo nuevo y una casa nueva. Nada original. Una puede imaginar perfectamente por donde va a ir la historia. Lo bueno, y muy pobremente explotado (sirve de escusa para futuras continuaciones) es el meter en esta historia que parece simple, un fantasma. Sí, un fantasma!!

2. Los personajes
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
3.5 or 4 stars. Enjoyed the story and the characters, although I can't quite see how the two main characters, so totally opposite in terms of organization and spontaneity, will manage to get along in a marriage. The overall ghost-story arc plays out through the entire trilogy, and it's interesting without being too creepy. Full review to come.
Mª João Monteiro
Livro com pouca ou nenhuma intriga. Stella fica viúva com dois filhos pequenos e vai viver para a sua terra natal, para perto do pai e madrasta com quen se dá bem. Arranja um emprego com habitação incluída numa mansão sulista cuja dona tem viveiros que Stella vai organizar. Aparece um paisagista rude e musculado, uma grávida desgarrada e um fantasma que protege as crianças. Tudo muito suave e doce, srm complicações. A história há de continuar nos próximos volumes, com as histórias de Roz e Hayle ...more
Play Book Tag: Blue Dahlia / Nora Roberts. 3.5 stars 3 17 Aug 04, 2017 04:51PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #162, 163, 171 In The Garden Trilogy by Nora Roberts 1 1 Sep 01, 2015 09:02AM
USA Geography Cha...: Blue Dahlia by Nora Roberts 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 09:34PM
Nora Roberts Grou...: Blue Dahlia 18 34 Aug 05, 2014 10:27AM

• Divided in Death (In Death, #18)
  • The Darkest Touch (Demon Hunters, #3)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)

In the Garden (3 books)
  • Black Rose (In the Garden, #2)
  • Red Lily (In the Garden, #3)
“Oh, for heaven's sake, Harper, I didn't just pee on the floor. My water broke.'
'What water?' He blinked, then went pale as a corpse. 'That water. Oh, God. Oh, Jesus. Oh, shit. Sit. Sit, or... I'll get-'
An ambulance. The marines.
'My mother.”