Start by marking “High Noon” as Want to Read:
High Noon

High Noon

Police Lieutenant Phoebe MacNamara found her calling at an early age when an unstable man broke into her family's home, trapping and terrorizing them for hours. Now she's Savannah's top hostage negotiator, defusing powderkeg situations with a talent for knowing when to give in-and when to jump in and take action. It's satisfying work-and sometimes those skills come in hand ...more
Published July 10th 2007 by Putnam

To ask other readers questions about High Noon, please sign up.
Denise No High Noon was written in 2007. If Nora was going to write more about them she usually would have written another book or books by now. It was a…moreNo High Noon was written in 2007. If Nora was going to write more about them she usually would have written another book or books by now. It was a great story wasn't it?(less)

karen
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: it-is-for-class
just so you know, i really tried. anyone who knows me knows my - let's call it lack of enthusiasm - towards the romance genre. but i went into this with an open mind, thinking, "i didn't want to read the children's books when i took the children's class either, and look at me now!" but so i went in thinking it would make me a better person or a better, more rounded book-knower.

so i tried.

but shit - this is a pretty bad one. and it is more than just a matter of preference/taste for the genre, it
Jilly
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
Think of this one as Roarke and Eve Lite. You can definitely catch some of the same feelings because he is rich and she is a cop, but it is set in the now instead of future, and let's face it: there's only one Roarke with his Poet Face and Sapphire Eyes.
And, Lord knows there is only one Eve Dallas.

Obviously, no couple could ever be as perfect. But, this couple was pretty damn good too. Nora Roberts knows how to write good characters. And, I like a mystery and maybe a bit of bloodshed with my rom
Vinaya
So, this book marks a big moment for me...

Photobucket

Yes, that's right, I have now finished ONE HUNDRED books this year. *cue applause*

A couple of months ago, Flannery and I discovered that we shared a mutual love for Nora Roberts. We then decided that we would devote an entire week to Nothing But Nora, revisiting all of our favourite Nora novels. High Noon is the first in my NBN book list.

High Noon is not my absolute favourite Nora novel, but it is amongst the ones I like best. Actually, the reason I st
Karla
5 Stars! Exciting, gripping and brilliantly narrated by Susan Erikson! Another fantastic read/ listen from the talented Nora Roberts. The plot had me on the edge of my seat nearly the entire time.

Phoebe McNamara is a hostage negotiator for the Savannah police department. At the scene of an attempted suicide she meets Duncan Swift, former employer of the distraught man who is a jump away from committing suicide. Duncan is drawn to this strong confident woman, and she is taken by his charming per
Duchess Nicole
This is not my favorite Nora, but still good. I tend to rate her against herself anyways. I think the tough woman cop thing is a little overplayed. I really enjoy when she writes a heroine who is a bit softer, and Phoebe is definitely not that. I thought that Duncan, Phoebe's love interest, was sort of blah. I just never fell in love with him.

As always, there is a secondary love story going on between Ava and Phoebe's stand in Daddy and boss. But I was very frustrated to realize at the end of t
Melisa Ramonda
What the...?
If this is the "great" Nora Roberts, I'm awfully disappointed. This story is a compendium of cliches, one after another after another after another...
Cheri
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Started out quite slow in the 1st half but got much better. The 2nd half has all the action in it. I give it 3.5 stars due to the previous fact. I did like the H & h.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This Nora Roberts standalone novel starts off with a bang. Phoebe McNamara is the top hostage negotiator for the Savannah Police Department and she is called in to talk down a man threatening suicide. She heads out on the ledge with him and is able to get him to put down the gun and come inside. This is just part of the job for Phoebe as she has worked suicides, kidnappings, hostage situations and robberies gone wrong with very few fatalities. The man who is talking to "suicide Joe" when she arr ...more
Jane Stewart
Audiobook narrator was terrible. Story, characters, and chemistry were weak.

NARRATOR SUSAN ERICKSEN:
Imagine someone with a hair trigger temper, quick to yell and always ANGRY. That is how the narrator interpreted most characters. I don’t like to be around angry people, and that was how I felt during most of the book. The second most common interpretation was SMUG. Others: sarcastic, slick, arrogant. There was no warmth, vulnerability, sensitivity. My favorite narrator Frank Muller reads with a s
Cyndi
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Romantic suspense!! So good!!
You might think it's a bit like an In Death book, but you'd be a bit wrong, even though she is a cop and he is handsome and rich. Duncan is not Roarke, but he is still a good character and not quite as alpha.
Love me some Nora!!😁💕
Eviltwinjen
Aug 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance fans, suspense fans, people who wonder if romance novels can be feminist
Shelves: romance
I'm a total sucker for Nora Roberts, and as long as she's not recycling characters too obviously I have few complaints. Say what you will about Roberts and her incredibly prolific career, she's an effective writer. I laughed, I cried, I was concerned about whether some characters would make it out alive. So the hero is just a bit too good to be true--an emotionaly open, handsome, loyal lottery winner, fer chrissakes--the heroine is a hostage negotiator who's truly ballbusting. The opening, which ...more
Thenia
A friend in their review described this as "Roarke and Eve Lite", and I found that to be a very apt description.

Phoebe is a Police Lieutenant and experienced negotiator and Duncan is a charming Irishman who is not exactly hurting for money. They meet when one of Duncan's employees whom he recently fired is threatening to commit suicide and Phoebe is called in as a negotiator. Duncan is immediately captivated by her aura of competence and authority, and after the suicide is averted, starts pursui
Cathy
I've must've seen the movie version of this before or at least parts of it. There were certain scenes where I knew exactly how it was going to play out, I could predict it down to the letter. Then again, the entire middle section of the book was unknown to me so I figure I must've caught it while channel surfing and not knowing it was a Nora Roberts adaptation.

Things I liked:

1) the romance.
I wasn't head-over-heels with it, but Roberts does what she does best and I did like it. Or certain aspects
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Nora Roberts never fails to deliver in her standalone novels. Action, suspense, intrigue, chemistry, romance - High Noon has it all. And it'll be some time before I get that tune out of my head! This one starts off with a bang - straight into action as Phoebe is called to the scene of a man threatening suicide. As a hostage negotiator with the Savannah police department, Phoeboe goes out on the ledge to talk him down. It's just another day in her life as a police hostage negotiator, single mothe ...more
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
I was not too pleased with this Nora Roberts book. Maybe I've just read too many of her books and they are becoming too alike.
I feel that she could have told this story effectively in 200 less pages then it actually was. It seemed to drag on and I wasn't relating to the characters at all... they seemed so one-dimensional. It was a disappointment.
Zubee
A fully fledged novel which I class as a romantic thriller ...
This has Nora Roberts signature style written all over it ...
Strong and capable detective h who has a wonderfully convulted family; she loves all of them and looks after everyone happliy ... she has an adorable little girl as well ...
I liked the twist NR gave this H; in the way he gets his wealth ... he is a great character who has made a family for himself with his friends family ....
There is plenty of smartly plotted action that I d
Paraphrodite
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2017
4.25 stars.

I really enjoyed this... for some reason, I keep seeing shades of Eve and Roarke in Phoebe and Duncan.

Not sure if it's because Susan Ericksen narrated this and I could hear Eve's voice or because Phoebe is a cop and Duncan is rich.

Phoebe is not a kick-ass cop like Eve as she talks her criminals into surrender instead. However, the way she thinks and the way she protects those she loves are all very Eve-like.

Duncan is definitely not as dark as Roarke.... I love that he enjoys playing
Rachel C.
I'm over halfway done with this book and still have zero interest. I've been trying to slog through it for four months, which I think says everything that needs to be said. I'm sorry, book, but you must be abandoned.
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Well, I’ve read this one before but it wasn’t marked. Because I couldn’t remember the book clearly as I probably read it prior to 2010, I continued. I remembered a few plot points.

Overall it was a good solid read. The story was layered and believable. I would have liked a little more about Dave and Ava (side characters). But it wasn’t their story.

Would I recommend? Sure.

Susan Erickson is an awesome narrator.
Gina
Pretty good by not her best work…

I liked the characters, especially Ma Bee and Duncan. Ma Bee understands Duncan like no other - the only mother figure he’d ever known. Duncan is a take charge kind of man, one who does what he wants when he wants, and pursues Phoebe like a pitbull - jaw locked and refusing to let go. Phoebe needed him to balance her, and I’m glad they found each other. And Carly, Phoebe’s 7-year-old daughter - very much like my own 7-year-old daughter. The only difference is my
Colleen
I picked this up in an airport bookshop last weekend, when my plane got stuck in Atlanta. High Noon wasn't a bad read and certainly kept the boredom at bay as I waited for my flight to depart, but it wasn't up to Roberts' usual standard.

The plot is laid out above and I will say that the characters were interesting by the end of the novel. Unfortunately, it seemed like two much was going on with the thriller plot to allow Roberts to flesh out the characters early enough for me to really connect.
Barbara ★
I have to start reading the back of Nora's books before I autobuy. This one’s about Phoebe MacNamara, a hostage negotiator, with a young daughter, an agoraphobic mother and someone stalking her. Enter Duncan Swift, a hottie bar owner who just happens to be the boss of the first person she has to talk off the roof. I truly enjoyed the story but I thought it got bogged down in negotiations which tended to be repetitive and rather tedious. I liked all the characters except the asshats but that's to ...more
JuliaOrlando
One of my favorite things about Nora Roberts books is not only the relationship she builds between the lead F-M characters, but also the relationships between the secondary characters; and I love when she had kids in her books, they bring a whole new level of fun and charm to the storyline.
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
This one’s about a hostage negotiator named Phoebe MacNamara who lives with her agoraphobic mother being stalked by a weirdo cop – it’s great suspense with a perfect multi-millionaire as the love interest thrown in for good measure. Rate 3.5
LJ
HIGH NOON (Police Proc/Romance-Lt. Phoebe MacNamara-Savannah, GA-Cont) – VG
Roberts, Nora – Standalone
Putnam, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780399154348
First Sentence: Jumping to your death was a crappy way to spend St. Patrick’s Day.
*** Lt. Phoebe MacNamara is single mother who lives with daughter, Carly, her mother, suffering from agoraphobia, and Ava, a family friend. As a hostage negotiator, she talks down a man threatening to commit suicide and meets the man’s attractive former employer. Phoeb
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
I couldn't finish. Just too many highly unusual factors mixed together in one story. First, what community the size of Savannah needs a hostage negotiator every week or more? I know sometimes it's to prevent suicide but still...

The heroine was almost killed along with her mother and brother when she was young when they were all held hostage by the mom's boyfriend. Okay - that's tragic. Now her mom won't leave the house even years later. Tragic again.

The hero won $132 million in a lottery.

The her
Wendy Darling
I picked this up for 10 cents from a library sale, since I like NR's In Death series. But this felt like a less cool, less focused version of Eve and Roarke. The first 200 pages were pretty good, but honestly this thing was just too long and drawn out for what it was. I lost interest, starting skimming, and eventually just gave up. Meh.
Barbara Heintz
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hostage negotiator, Phoebe MacNamara is called to the roof of an apartment to stop a jumper. That is where she meets Duncan Swift. He is impressed by her sense of purpose as well as her looks and can't get her out of his mind. Phoebe's life is rife with challenges: Single mother, demanding job, agoraphobic mother, and a stalker.

Duncan won the lottery and spends his time rebuilding old properties and increasing his wealth. They are perfect together. He understands her problems and isn't afraid t
Mei
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Call me an idiot! I've watched the movie before reading this! But, I didn't know it before starting the book! That's why you get to call me an idiot!

Or better, call the translators idiots because I didn't recognized the title since it was not rightly translated! Why would you translate "High Noon" into "Due vite in gioco" (="Two lives at stake")??? How stupid is that???!!!

But, I'm happy to say that the old "book is better than movie" is true here! :)
J.D. Robb : June Book Discussion - High Noon by Nora Roberts - Spoiler Zone 52 47 Jul 16, 2014 07:16AM
The movie? 13 100 Aug 04, 2013 04:21PM
What's the Name o...: Cop who lives with the daughter and agoraphobic mother [s] 3 25 Apr 17, 2013 11:12PM
Books to Movies 3 34 Dec 31, 2012 11:16PM

• Imitation in Death (In Death, #17)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
“Excuse me? Tonight you represent every dateless woman in this city, every woman who's about to sit down to a lonely meal of Weight Watchers past primavera she's just nuked in the microwave. Every woman who will get into bed tonight with a book or reruns of Sex and the City as her only companion. You are our shining hope....But no pressure.” 115 likes
“People who say not to speak ill of the dead are hypocrites, because you can take it ot the bank they're thinking ill.” 30 likes