Start by marking “The Sherbrooke Bride (Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:

Catherine Coulter

The Sherbrooke Bride

(Sherbrooke Brides #1)

Dear Listener,
Douglas Sherbrooke, Earl of Northcliffe, is a man besieged. He must have an heir. Thus he must first provide himself with the requisite bride.

Alexandra Chambers, youngest daughter of the Duke of Beresford, has loved Douglas Sherbrooke since she was fifteen. Unfortunately, it is her sister, the incomparable Melissande, he wishes to wed.

But life never ladles ou
Audio CD
Published September 20th 2005 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Sherbrooke Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sherbrooke Bride

Start your review of The Sherbrooke Bride (Brides, #1)
Eleanor
Jun 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why do I read these? These men are also described as being really hairy. I don't understand the whole wanting to grip heaps of chest hair. They also never describe that he probably has a lot of ass hair as well. Grabbing a fistful of chest hair? Evidently that is sexy, but just once I want a romance novel to talk about her stroking his furred behind. Maybe she could grip the tufts of virile butt hair and tug him closer and closer to her furry mound...something like that.
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
This book has a tragi-comic undertone, hugely angsty but making light of it. And this very treatment keeps you jumpy, antsy and hooked!

It’s not for readers who don’t like triangles with sisters – because this one has it in a big way and the sister is present almost throughout and the author seems to be in love with the very spoiled, very self-centered and extraordinarily beautiful sister and seemed set on not only giving her a great guy, a hea but also a character development. And the H hankers
Christine
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I've read this book twice, once half a lifetime ago when I was a teenager and again this week. It's interesting the perspective that comes with experience. I still enjoyed the book, but in a different way. As a teenager who wasn't entirely sure she was supposed to be reading romance at all, I took it at face value and enjoyed the love story. As an adult, I realized that there is a great deal of satire in here. The author is trying -- and now succeeding -- at being funny.

The setup is completely
Stacey is Sassy
I lasted 12 minutes...

This one is definitely not for me. It turned my stomach that a story... romance story, could show the "hero" and his brother with such a callous attitude to their illegitimate children. Not sure I have the patience to see him come good.

I'm cutting my losses and moving on. No rating as I didn't really give it a fair go.
Vintage
I almost DNF'd, but ended up re-reading due to GR friends reviews and dived back in.

I'm glad I did because after a truly disastrous start, the book, hero and heroine hit their stride and improved.

The reviewers weren't kidding when they said the two brothers compared how many bastards they had. I think I'm going to be sick. CC never pulls punches on the ick factor, does she?

Okay, I did finish it, and applaud CC for redeeming the hero. Kind of. He certainly does become besotted with the heroine's
Sonia
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Usually I don't read a book without reading reviews of what other people thought of the book, but I just happened to see this book and decided to try it. Now the whole idea sounded nice, where Douglas gets an unexpected bride, Alexandra, so I understood his temper at the beginning at being deceived, but I kept on getting frustrated as the novel went on because he kept comparing her to her beautiful sister Melissande and just humiliating her sometimes. And the love scenes were awful in my opinion ...more
Melanie
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed this book for my blog www.bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com

A couple of months ago I've read "The Valcourt Heiress" by CC, and my disappointment was so profound, that I gave that book a very scathing review, which brought forth a very lively discussion on Amazon, as well as with some of my personal friends. Some people agreed with me [...], and others not so much. In rereading my review of that book, I admit to being a bit harsh; however I still stand behind my words.

This being a New Ye
Aayesha Khatri
I'd read Catherine Coulter as a very young girl of 14, and I didn't like her at all back then. This book certainly did change my opinion, but I don't think I'll be reading any more of her books - they're too heavy and don't have enough candies-rainbows-and-unicorns-kind-of-sweet romance to suit me.

I loved the book in the beginning. It made me laugh out loud, snort and chuckle and just basically - I loved it. Coulter writes very well, there's a depth to her characters that you don't normally see,
Cheesecake
Alexandra and Douglas (the turd). I think I would have loved this 20 years ago, but my tastes have changed and I am less forgiving of asshat heroes now. I loved the Alex. She was all that. Didn't take any guff, courageous, spunky. But she was paired with an H who was the type to cut off his nose to spite his face. All Douglas can see is Melissande, Alex's beautiful but a-holish, self centered sister. It really annoyed the p*ss out of me that Melissande is there throughout the ENTIRE book. In you ...more
Regan Walker
4 and 1/2 Stars - Great Start to the Regency series with a Cast of Worthy Characters

This is the first in the Sherbrooke Brides series and a must read if you want to read any of the others. In it, we are introduced to the family and most prominently, the elder brother, Douglas Sherbrooke, Earl of Northcliffe.

Douglas, a cold man who takes seriously his duty as head of the household, has no real interest in marrying except to fulfill his duty to produce an heir. In considering the woman he will tak
Nichole
Aug 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

READ THIS BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Well, hell! If it isn't the worst book I've read! Okay, I don't know where it started to be so painfully horrible because I really liked the story line and at first it was really wonderful, it has an emotional appeal and the cruelty of Douglas towards Alexandra could have brought tears in my eyes when he found out that his cousin, Tony, have married her instead of her sister, Melissande, who he really intended to marry. You see, Douglas' family is forcing him to g
Miriam
4 stars audio
2.5 stars foolish story.
Mitashi
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very different and very sweet story of a girl who loved the hero but the hero is so blinded by her sister's beauty that he doesn't look her way.. And than things changes... So much.. It was he'll of a interesting story.. Which I enjoyed immensely...
Bubu
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read this one for the love triangle with sisters.. lol...usually i dont like this trope bc its yacky...but here its fun.. its angst fun...
Zoe
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh man how I laughed re-reading this book. I don't remember being so amused before. Leave it to Catherine Coulter to write the most brainless lustful book.

The plotline was ok. Douglas found himself being married to the wrong woman, Alexandra. The pair did not start interacting until 20% into the story. The first 20% was spent on buildling up the backdrop of the story. Douglas had some government duties and Alexandra was already in love with Douglas. Douglas wanted to marry Alexandra's beautiful
Wendy F
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
There is nothing like stepping back into familiar shoes. I have read this book at least 100 times since my first as a young teen, and I still love it and enjoy it just as much now as I did then.

Is it a bit cheesy? Oh yes, in the absolute best possible way. The thing is, it's supposed to be a Historical Romantic Comedy, and if you remember that while you read it then you will see the same magic I do. In it's own way it's making fun of Regency romances, the male characters are all a bit overly pom
Leea
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leea by: Wendy F
Historical Romance is on of my favorite genres. I know it's not flashy or hip but there is just something about going back in time, feeling like you're apart of history or even that innocent first kiss. The Sherbrooke Bride is one of the best written Historical Romance books that i've read it a very long time. It's smart, witty, crass, sharp, bold and very sexy.

Alexandra is the sister that no one noticed, she's plain, smart, funny and wears out of date dresses because her sister is the beautif
Bakudis
This not my Fav book from CC.. Douglas is Mean Hero.

I dont like him for half book.
From the first page i gusess 50% He always humiliate h (Alex). Blame her because he can't married with his dream woman 3 years before.

Disapprove about her style.

Insult and often compare her because she not beautiful like her sister Mellisande.

Her sister Melli so annoying, she beautiful beyond compare,she always think men would bewitched if see her. Fortunate Mellisande married with Douglas cousin Tony. Tony instan
Jen Durand
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in high school and I loved it. I remembered laughing and just enjoying the interplay between the hero and the heroine. They were perfectly imperfect characters with flaws and it showed. Considering the time period of the book I did not expect to like it. Slavery is a thing in this trilogy which is why I hated the second book especially, but this first book was a treat. I guess I'm just a sucker for a ill-tempered bad boy.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Not a good read for me. I disliked both the hero and heroine. Hero was a jerk of the first degree and the heroine was a doormat. That said I will say the writing style was good. It had a good flow and moved at a good pace and not a lot of filler to bore you.
kookyquinn
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start with the good:

I was rivited. Seriously I could not put this book down and I read every single word. Never skimmed etc I was hooked!

I also absolutely loved this heroine. She was seriously adorable.

The bad? Head jumping but I quickly got used to/expected it after a few chapters. That wasn't huge what WAS huge was how much I hated the hero. God I hated him. Like seriously he was mean to her until almost the very end. Constantly drooling after her perfect beautiful (but stupid and mean) s
Nelly
Lool! That book was exquisitely funny.
Really, I couldn't turn a page without laughing or rolling my eyes.

The romance started out great. Typical hate to love story. This time the guy was lusting after his wife's sister, the impossibly beautiful Mellisande. The wife of course is plain but she has magical breasts... Instead of being a bitch we would love to hate, Mellisande is a silly darling whose vanity is absolutely priceless! When she met Ryder I was howling!

Now back again to the romance... Ale
Izzy
May 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I skimmed most of it.

I liked the h a lot. The H was tolerable but nasty.

Safety: H is h’s only lover. H had an illegitimate 4 years old daughter with some woman. They don’t mention the child or her mother again. It is only mentioned in the beginning when the H and his younger brother discuss about any children born out of wedlock 🙄

(ahh “what to do” — can’t believe we have to deal with this in romance novels, but oh well, you can’t expect Catherine Coulter to not write this, trus
Christina T
Honestly I have heard for years that Coulter was an exceptional writer and The Sherbrooke Bride is a great read. I feel lied to. I hated it. After reading the other reviews on this book (most are right around 4 stars) I am wondering if maybe it is just me.

Douglas is pretty ticked off that instead of finding the beautiful woman he expects to come home to he is married to her younger sister that although handsome (Alex said she was quite handsome when listing her attributes to Douglas) she appears
Sylvia
I read this book several years ago and recently read it again for a book club. I don't remember disliking it as much then as I did this go around. I found myself very disappointed in The Sherbrooke Bride seeing as one of my favorite books, The Wyndham Legacy, is also by Catherine Coulter.

To start out.. the family males are holding a meeting to discuss their (pardon me) bastards. I suppose this may be keeping with the era, but just.. wow. This was a major turn off as it placed the so-called hero
Rhapsody
May 12, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Coulter readers
Shelves: romance, fiction
Incredible, a Coulter novel without physical abuse and rape. It's the first in the Brides series. Douglas, the Earl of Northcliffe, is 28. He proposes to his old flame, Melissande, who agrees in order to save her family. However, the same week he's to be married, he's given a mission in France, so he sends his cousin Tony to marry him to Melissane by proxy. Tony takes Melissande for himself and marries Douglas to Melissande's younger sister, Alexandra (18).

Such an annoying book. I understand Ton
Mounika
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, jerk-hero
Well well well....

I liked Alexandra but not that Douglas, half the book he acts like jerk and he is like king of jerks.

Douglas wants to marry Melisande the beautiful and desirable sister of Alexandra. He's detained due to a mission and sends Tony( I like this fellow :D ), his cousin to marry Melisande by proxy. But when Tony reaches Claybourne Hall, he's bewitched by Melisande's beauty and marries her. Alexandra gets married to Douglas. When Douglas comes back he finds himself married to Alex

kate
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hero Douglas is a bit of a jerk. The heroine Alexandra is 18 years old and acts every bit of it. The cousin Tony is a dominating prick. Tony wife Mellesomething acts like she was the recipient of the world's first lobotomy. But it had lts moments so three stars.
Ruth
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, library-book
One of my favorites by Catherine Coulter
Carolyn
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading.

It has been years since I first read this series. I was a novice in the genre when I read it. I wondered if I might have changed my opinion of this book since I have now read hundreds of historical romance novels. Nope, it did not. I still enjoyed it. I still laughed at Ms. Coulter's crisp, humorous dialogue and the unconventional characters in this book. Yes, it is still a fun read.
Did Douglas and Alex have a daughter? 13 80 Oct 19, 2018 03:44PM
I liked this one 2 36 Sep 02, 2013 12:02PM

• Miss Hastings' Excellent London Adventure (Brazen Brides, #4)
  • The Duke's Winter Promise: A Christmas Regency Romance
  • A Duke's Desire (The Duke's Club, #1)
  • The Substitute Bride
  • Magnolia
  • Seductive Surrender (Highland Heather Romancing a Scot, #6)
  • The Baron's Rose (Unlikely Match, #2)
  • The Marquess Meets His Match
  • Mistress of the Groom
  • Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
  • To Catch A Countess (Douglas Trilogy, #3)
  • The Raider's Daughter (Raiders, #2)
  • The Temporary Wife
  • Tall, Dark and Royal (The Renegade Royals, #2.5)
  • Katie (The Cattleman's Daughters #1)
  • Shades of Twilight
  • Myriah Fire
  • Practically Wicked (Haverston Family Trilogy Book 3)

Sherbrooke Brides (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Hellion Bride (Brides, #2)
  • The Heiress Bride (Brides, #3)
  • Mad Jack (Brides, #4)
  • The Courtship (Brides, #5)
  • The Scottish Bride (Brides, #6)
  • Pendragon (Brides, #7)
  • The Sherbrooke Twins (Brides, #8)
  • Lyon's Gate (Brides, #9)
  • Wizard's Daughter (Brides, #10)
  • Prince of Ravenscar (Brides, #11)

News & Interviews