Start by marking “Hidden Riches” as Want to Read:

Hidden Riches

#1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts unveils the intriguing world of antiques dealing, where an independent woman discovers the price of breathless desire-and the schemes of an obsessed killer...

Dora Conroy has a passion for antiques—and any other rarities she can acquire for her quaint Philadelphia shop. A seasoned dealer, she knows all the tricks of the trad
Published July 6th 2004 by Berkley (first published July 13th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Riches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Riches

Start your review of Hidden Riches
Jonetta
Isadora (Dora) Conroy is a Philadelphia antiques dealer with thespian roots as her parents and brother are seasoned actors and performers. When she travels to Virginia and buys a specific lot of items from a local dealer, she unwittingly places herself in the crosshairs of some extremely dangerous smugglers. Meanwhile, she’s rented the unit next to hers to prickly Jed Kimmerhorn, a former Philadelphia Police Department captain who comes in handy in a number of ways, especially when trouble comes ...more
Maria
The suspense is great but the frustration of not being able to warn the characters about something the reader has already read is awesome - and painful. I had a few issues with things that are pet peeves for me, like ignoring a hot meal so the main characters can have sex and ripping a sweatshirt in two to get at a woman - really, who lets their food go cold for sex when you can always have sex later and has anyone tried ripping apart a sweatshirt? You might be able to enlarge a hole that's alre ...more
Ann Lou
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Isadora runs an antique and collectibles shop.  Her family is into theater acting and she used to be an actress.  She is undaunted, persistent, beautiful and bright.  After bidding some collectibles in Virginia, she had no idea about the trouble those things would bring her.

Jedidiah (love the name) is an ex cop who turned in his badge after his sister died.  He is a rude boar, closed off, has a temper and wants to be left alone.  But Dora got under his skin and gradually breaks down the wall h
Anita
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this oldie Nora romance with suspense. I loved Dora, her humor and tenacity in dealing with Jed. Jed, his stern façade that hides an emotional damaged little boy and his inability to resist the irresistible Dora. And, Dora's wonderful family.

Dora Conroy is an antiques and collectables dealer with a small shop in Philadelphia. She lives above her shop and rents the other apartment. On a buying trip she buys several one-of-a-kind items and her dad rents the vacant apartment to the v
mina
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
This is the first and probably the only book by Nora Roberts that I finished and enjoyed. I was so surprised when I found out this book was first published in 1994! I was sure it was somewhere in the early 2000s. I wasn’t that interested in the crime part of the book, but I loved Dora’s family, and I absolutely enjoyed the sarcastic banter between her and Jed.
Bridget
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I am not going to review every Nora Roberts book that I have read in the past because she is quite prolific and it would get redundant and I honestly cannot remember all the plots. I think someone finds someone else attractive but at least one cannot admit it so there is sexual tension, then lots of sex, and then they live happily ever after? Sometimes there is some magic , a family legacy, or a mystery. Certainly not great works of literature (however still 100% better than “the grapes of wrath ...more
Angela James
Re-reading. Made the time on the elliptical and treadmill pass quickly this morning, which is always nice! this is still one of my favorite old-skool Nora books. Her non JD Robb books are always hit and miss for me, but I always enjoy this one.
Suzanne
Mystery plot was patently obvious, but enjoyed entering into the world of collectibles, old books, and antiques.
LibraryLass
I have so been missing my romance. This was just a breath of fresh air.
Thenia
An interesting story about Jed, a traumatized cop who's handed in his badge, Dora, an antique and rarities shop owner from a theatrical family, and a man who will to go any length to acquire the rare things he covets and whose actions will affect all of them.

Jed rents Dora's neighboring apartment and plans to keep to himself, but she gives as good as she gets and piques his interest and he ends up spending more and more time with her. Dora enjoys needling the prickly man who hasn't really quit b
Paige  Bookdragon
Nora Roberts is just not for me..
Cc
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an early work of Roberts that reads like the Collector. Except the Collector is far superior too me. I'm working my way through my charity find box of N.R's and finding that her earlier work, while very well written, just doesn't work as well for me. ...more
Paraphrodite
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, listened
3.5 stars.

A good romantic suspense from NR. I enjoyed Dora's theatrical family. Jed's character, on the other hand, is not as appealing. The finale was a bit more violent than I anticipated but all in all, a satisfactory read.
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars (c'mon GoodReads! Give us half stars!)

I was pretty surprised that I liked this one as I tend to not like her earlier works as much. I believe this was originally written in 1995.

I liked the characters. Jed was sometimes a bit too not nice. But I liked Dora's character a lot. Very fun and relaxed and didn't let his attitude bring hers down.

This was a really fun read. Sometimes there was a tad too much focus on the villains but overall I loved this one. NR really knows how to draw the e
Zubee
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sexy, funny, fast paced book. I absolutely loved the h and her quirky family while H was suitably tortured. I loved their interactions. She was smart, self-admittedly mercenary and liked to collect pretty things. She 'chased' H in the sweetest and funniest way.
And I loved the way they called each other by their surnames; I can imagine this couple being best friends, regularly bickering and loving each other.
The intimate scenes packed a punch; in a world of generic sex scenes, the scenes in th
Teri-K
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-suspense
I really enjoyed this romantic suspense novel from '94. I found it at the bookstore - I'm happy for an author's earlier books to be re-released, as long as they're clearly marked, as this one was.

I think my favorite part of this was the contrast between the really nice heroine and the truly nasty bad guys. Our heroine isn't a push over or bland, but she is someone who cares about others, tries to do the right thing, and is all around likable. The baddies are selfish, mean, and enjoy killing. Th
Teechbiz
May 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
My first attempt at reading a Nora Roberts book. I held my nose and chided myself that she was just to much a part of the vernacular to ignore her. I'm not really into romance novels.

I was surprised that it really was much better than I thought it would be. That works out well because someone gave me several of her books saying that I really "MUST" read them.
Karen ♐
Dora is an art dealer who becomes embroiled in an art theft after purchasing items at an auction. Jed is a cop who has taken leave from the force and rents an apartment from her. Together they work on discovering who is behind this art theft and at the same time, fight their attraction to one another. I really enjoyed this book.
Jéssica
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
There are authors whose names we easily recognize even without having read one of their books. Nora Roberts is one of those authors. With “Hidden Riches”, I finally entered the world of Nora Roberts and I can say that I'm now even more curious to read her other novels.

In this book we follow Dora and Jed, an antiques store owner and a former police officer. A story that follows the world of antiques, from the first moment that it is presented to us by Dora at an art auction. With each page read w
Irene Kiew
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Started this book on a Sunday night, always a bad decision... ended up sleeping at 4:30am. Went to work Monday morning with only 1.5 hours' sleep!

It's not meant to be a whodunnit because the villain is revealed quite early on, which I found rather different than what I'm used to from Roberts (I read her JD Robb books, too). Then again, this book was first published in 1994, and her first In Death book came out the following year.

Anyway, despite the lack of tension and anticipation waiting to s
Lindap
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.75 / 4 Stars

I realized from the start that this book was released in 1994, so the technology of today wasn't present. No cell phones at their fingertips. Also, since this is an older book, there's no need for me to go into the storyline....there are already a bunch of GR reviews if you want a rundown.

I will say I enjoyed the antique, actors & cop combination in the story. Liked Dora and Jed's banter, especially Dora's. Although I'd have to admit if she was my significant other, all her chatter
Vickie
It has been years since I have read a Nora Roberts' book and Hidden Riches was a good read to introduce me to her. No great shakes of "literature" but there is always a good story line, albeit cheesy, and a happy ending. This story worked for me since I listened to it in the car and while walking. I look forward to downloading a few more books by her.

Go Cards! L1C4!!
Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
Hidden Riches

The love story of Dora and Jed. Jed is a police officer in crisis. He has taken time off the job to get his head on straight. He move in to an apartment next to the landlord w ho turn out to be an antique dealer. Dora is on a shopping trip when her father rent the apartment next to her. On her trip she buy some antique that have hidden treasure and lots of trouble. Can Jed save her or will she save him? Great story.
Macjest
May 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Not bad at all. Lots of humor in this one. I love a woman who can stand up to a man with humor and intelligence. Dora runs a shop full of antiques and kitschy junk. Her new neighbor is an ex-cop. Handy, because Dora inadvertently bids on and acquires some goods that someone else wants back no matter the cost.
Carolyn
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roberts-nora
Another one that I was unaware of. This one was first published in 1994 (no handy cellphones in this book). Even though it is an oldie, it is a goodie! The dialogue between the two main characters was terrific. I really enjoyed it.
Cátia
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Nora Roberts! Mystery and romance - perfect!
Kate
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
The audio version of this makes it unique.
Michele
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book. Very well written, good romance, and wonderful story!
Allison
Jan 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Pretty standard Nora Roberts romance/drama. A little dated, but I needed an easy read!
Judy Churchill
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It included a very credible police mystery with lots of suspense. I’m reminded again of Roberts’ superior ability to create multidimensional characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Nora Roberts Grou...: Hidden Riches - November 2020 Book of the Month 15 33 Dec 01, 2020 08:55AM
Nora Roberts Book...: October 3 4 Nov 03, 2019 03:57PM

• A Forever of Orange Blossoms (The Merriams, #5)
  • The Trouble with Paradise (The Richards Brothers Book 1)
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • The Call of the Pines
  • Water Under the Bridge (Chalk Hill #1)
  • Araluen
  • Outback Heroes: Australian Romance
See top shelves…
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including Hideaway, Under Currents, Come Sundown, The Awakening, Legacy, and coming in November 2021 -- The Becoming -- the second book in The Dragon Heart Legacy. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her book ...more