Start by marking “On Angel Wings” as Want to Read:
On Angel Wings

On Angel Wings

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A young boy gets his wish after the other shepherds leave him behind in this golden, heartwarming holiday tale from a leading author and illustrator.

"I bring you news of great joy. For tonight, in Bethlehem, a child has been born, a savior who is Christ the Lord." When the shepherds are invited to follow the star to visit the child, one young boy is told to stay and mind t
Published September 11th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published September 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about On Angel Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Angel Wings

Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
A known story written for the young readers with his style of story telling.
Fiona Hill
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ks1
This book is a very magical twist on the Christmas story; told from the the shepherds point of view and their journey to see baby Jesus. Loved Quentin Beake’s illustrations.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
I'm baffled by how such a short book could not have been improved upon by the editorial process to make the voice consistent with the time period or location it's supposedly set (first century, probably the year 60s or some such, near Jerusalem) -- expressions such as, "scaredy cat" or "proper stupid we felt" are quite out of place. I also wonder if a humble shepherd youth, probably mid- or late-teen, would how to write down the grandfather's story because it is supposedly what the narrator did.
Thebruce1314
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what age group this book is aimed at - it looks like a picture book for children, but there is a lot of text on each page and fewer illustrations than I would expect. It is a retelling of the story of the birth of Jesus, told from the perspective of a young shepherd. Not my very favourite of Morpurgo's books (which I love!), but a nice Christmas story.
Nancy
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, christian
I enjoyed this story of a young shepherd who gets to meet the baby Jesus in his manger on the first day of his life. Michael Morpurgo tells a interesting adaptation of this Biblical story, and Quentin Blake demonstrates his distinctive style of art in a way that enriches its meaning. I think I'll read this to my college students at Christmas!
Den
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, children
A lovely version of the Christmas story told from the viewpoint of a young shepherd boy who got left behind to tend the sheep whilst the others went to meet the new baby.
Wonderful words and lovely illustraions - a perfect match
Linda
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is now my all time favourite Christmas Story. I want the chance to read it to all my grandchildren on the night before Christmas for as many Christmases as possible. It is full of wonder and promise which is just what Christmas is. Brilliantly illustrated by Quentin Blake.
Tanja
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Whatever Michael Morpurgo writes, I just love it. His stories always have a very special touch. In this one, he narrates the night Jesus was born through the eyes of a young shepherd. Lovely illustrations by Quentin Beake make this a special little gift especially around Christmas.
Susan
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lovely holiday book, more a slim novel than a picture book, really. The illustrations by Quentin Blake really add something special (as all his illustrations do).
Laurie
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mitten
A fresh take on the Christmas story. I thought Roald Dahl's illustrator was an unusual choice, but it works.
Brenda Wharton
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Read this with the boys and was a great retelling of the birth of Jesus, told by the shepards
Deyanne
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adolescent, christmas
I have read so many Christmas stories that something must be really well done and unique to stay with me. This was just so-so.
Desna
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice more traditional tale of Christmas.
Bex
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story of the youngest shepherd boy at the nativity. Angels we have heard on high etc. Love the illustrations in my edition.
Jane
A beautiful, magical retelling of the Christmas story with wonderful illustrations by Quentin Blake. A really special little gem of a book.
Fariza
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Walaupun buku ini berkenaan dengan kelahiran Jesus. Teknik penulisan Michael Morpurgo memang sentiasa mempersonakan.
Matt Chapman
Dec 27, 2015
Parsley Spasbinder
Sep 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Sir Michael Andrew Morpurgo, OBE, FRSL is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the Second World War, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, ...more