Start by marking “The Amazing Story Of Adolphus Tips” as Want to Read:
The Amazing Story Of Adolphus Tips

The Amazing Story Of Adolphus Tips

A stunning novel about friendship, war, and one girl's bravery which changes her life forever.

It's 1943, and twelve-year-old Lily Tregenza lives on a farm in an idyllic seaside village in England. Apart from her father being away and the "townie" evacuees at school, her life is scarcely touched by the war . . . until Lily and her family, along with 3,000 other villagers, a
Published April 1st 2006 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Story Of Adolphus Tips, please sign up.
LB Taylor Well he needs a setting to write about and a period of time and also, it's easier to write about a tense atmosphere! He may also write about it becaus…moreWell he needs a setting to write about and a period of time and also, it's easier to write about a tense atmosphere! He may also write about it because the war may have been an impacting part of his life?(less)

Start your review of The Amazing Story Of Adolphus Tips
Charlotte May
This is a wonderful little story.
A young girl is forced out of her home in order for the army to practice for the impending war with Germany. During the move she loses her pet cat Tips.
The story involves her search for Tips - the friends she makes along the way and the impact the war had on local farming communities.
Its a sweet British story - I finished in a few hours, if you enjoy something that portrays a light story out of a historical event then this is one for you.
Yulia
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first glance, this book seems to be yet another typical story about a girl and her cat who keeps on running away, but once you start reading it, you realise there's more to it than meets the eye. Set against the backdrop of World War 2, and more particularly, the D-Day landing practices, it gives the reader an entirely unique and different perspective on the war, as it is told through the eyes of the twelve-year old Lily Tregenze, whose family was forced to leave their village to make way for ...more
Ji-ann O'Driscoll Silva
This book is not for children really. It is for Adults and teenagers. Most of Michael Morpurgo's books are based on the World War! II. I really love this book. I read this book when I was 10. I was in my old school, and we had to read this book for Guided Reading. At first I thought it looked extremely boring by the cover. But never judge a book by its cover. It is a wonderful book. It nearly as wonderful as the book," Alone on a Wide Wide Sea".

It is about a teenage boy who has a lot of probke
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ @bookwormthoughts
I read this with my daughter and we really enjoyed it.

#Historical
#Heartwarming
#Storiesaboutanimals
#Greatread
Olivia
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a while back but i still love it to this day and hopefully i will re read it sometime in the future
Briony Bastin
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Good book for looking at some of the features of diary entries.
Also good for looking at a child's view on WW2
Ebony
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Michael Morpurgo’s books I have read, it’s actually my daughter’s book, but it has definitely made me want to read more.

The story of lily living her life during World War II intrigued me. Lily’s father is a soldier gone to war and she keeps a diary about what she gets up to, she then shares her childhood story with her grandson Boowie who she is very close to.

I love the way the author has used lily’s childhood diary, Boowie’s views and letters from lily to her grandson, te
Emily
Mar 19, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Advantages:

• The very best of British authors, this was one of the first books I ever read as a young child and the nostalgia as I read was very touching.

Disadvantages:

• It felt very limited in style. The diary of Lily (Michael's grandmother), was well-written, but it seemed unnecessary to introduce Michael as a character when he had little to do with the real story.

• There were parts of the diary entries which seemed very out-of-place. Some language was basic for Lily's age, while other
Caitlin
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Can't resist a book by Michael Morpurgo or a book about a cat. Interesting story of a little-known facet of D-Day during World War II. ...more
Ken
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Your in safe hands with Morpurgo, this time a pet cat set during the Second World War.
Kimberley
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book that I have had on my shelves for years but never actually read! I am making more of an effort to get through these books so that I can try and clear some of my backlog!

In this book we follow a young girl called Lily and her family around the time of WWII, their town has to be evacuated so that the army can train in their village. However when they move Lily’s cat Tips goes missing and may be somewhere in the village. Will Lily find her before its too late?

This is an incredibly shor
Sophie Crane
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, history
Micheal Morpurgo writes beautifully, about a young girls experience of her village being evacuated during the second world war, so that the American soldiers could use the area to train for the D-day landings. His language and description have been a perfect stepping stone away from young childrens books to older childrens books. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and the lovely surprise ending.
Rebecca Stonehill
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of Michael Morpurgo's very best books, but lovely to read to the children nonetheless. ...more
Kimmy
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was soooo sweet. I love the ending, and how Morpurgo hints that all hope is lost and then brings back hope again. Also, I like how he introduces it as a story from a grandma to grandson and then has the rest as the story. A wonderful story!
Alex Acer
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I have read so far.
Heidi Burkhart
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucia Rial
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young boy, Michael (also known as Boowie), receives a letter from his Grandma outlining her childhood. He was very fond of his grandparents, and sadly he had soon lost his Grandfather, leaving Grandma living on her own in Slapton Village.
Set in World War II, the story focuses delves deep into Grandma's (Lily) life, from first hand, especially homing in on her home life, her friendships and her love for her cat, Tips.
The war had hardly touched Slapton Village, until one day in 1943, all the vil
17sikoraz213
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carli Vallance
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This heart-warming adventure begins with an introduction from Michael. Suspense and intrigue is formed immediately as he informs us that Grandma has just done something shocking! Mystery swathes the actual event and after a cliffhanger of a letter from Grandma, the real adventures start with a selection of her diary entries from 1943.

Eleven-year-old Lily Tregenza lives on a farm in the idyllic seaside village of Slapton with her mother, Grandpa and beloved cat Tips. Her father is away- it is th
Hanna Persson
“The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips” by Michael Morpurgo is a story of a young girl named Lily Tregenza living in England during World War II. She also has a cat names Tips who she loves and would never leave. Her dad has gone to fight in the war, but the American soldiers that come to help England have plans for all the villagers, they all have to move out so they can practice their landings, etc for the war. Her family lives on a farm and her grandfather was brought up, lived and works on thi ...more
Derek
An enchanting, easy-to-read story that's an ideal to help young readers to develop their knowledge of WWII.

This is the story of Lily Tregenza who, in 1943, lives on the family farm on the coast of Devon with her mum and grandfather, as her dad's away in the army.

Lily has a cat called Tips, and when the family are forced to move from their home for several months while the army take over the area as a training ground Lily's beloved Tips runs away and gets left behind. Lily is heartbroken but wil
Faye
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yup, this is another one of my Michael Morpurgo reviews! THIS book is about a little girl called Lily, who loves her cat, Adolphus. But when the army came to fight their area, Adolphus went back and ran away, and Lily came to get him back.....

A heart racing, sensational story with amazing descriptions, feelings and hilarious parts. The book is amazing, and if any child doesn't like this book, then they must be on planet Zombie. This is one of my favourite books, and it's very fun and likeable an
Susan
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is set in the Second World War in an English costal village. It tells the tale of Lily whose father goes to fight in the war. Lily’s family takes in an evacuee from London and they become close friends. During the story the American soldiers take over Lily’s home town and she has to move in with her Uncle George. During their move Lily’s cat goes missing and every day she return to their farm to look for her, only to be caught by the American soldiers.

The book is written as lily’s dia
Sarah Sammis
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Amazing Story Of Adolphus Tips by Michael Morpurgo is about a girl, her cat, D day training and a friendship with an American soldier. It's framed with a letter received by a boy named Michael from his beloved grandmother as she heads out on her first adventure in a long time. She includes her diary of the time her village was forced to relocate for D-Day training as an explanation for her current actions.

Most of the story then is Lily's flashback. Her father is a pilot in the war and now sh
Clair Cannon
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by Michael Morpurgo and it will not be the last. He is an amazing author as he really made me believe I was living the story. The book is an easy read and consists of a collection of diary entries from a young girl whose life is turned upside down when world war 2 is upon her, her family and her community. The book also describes through a child's experience what it is like for her when her father goes away to war and how upsetting and confusing it is for a 10 ...more
Cheryl
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats, wwii, ya
A charming little story, told mostly through diary excerpts, of some of the aspects of World War II and D-Day that we never hear about. Michael (aka Boowie) receives a package from his grandmother not long after his grandfather's death from MS, the contents of which will explain the reason for the scandalous thing she has just done. The contents are her diary excerpts from the lead up to D-Day which involve the cat she loved and their little town in Devon on the coast being co-opted for a traini ...more
Suzi
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another disappointing Michael Morpurgo book. It had a great beginning and end, but the middle dragged on. It is written from the perspective of a young girl as diary entries, and whilst it deals with the issues surrounding WW2 and the D-Day Landings, it does so in a remote way - you are an onlooker and not really involved. The cover of the book suggests that this is all about a cat, yet as the story unfolds she is the least of the characters. Moving at the end, and enjoyed by some but n ...more
Hayley
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I'm working my way through a box-set of Mihael Morpurgo and I'm starting to get slightly bored of his 'child is friends with an animal' theme so I wasn't much looking forward to this. However, I really enjoyed this book. Whether that's because I identified with the main character who was a girl who loves her cat I can't say for sure, but it was an enjoyable read in the context of the preparations for the D-Day landings. ...more
Daniel Williamson

• Fernando el Temerario
  • The Garbage King
  • The Dragonfly Pool
  • Eric
  • Emerald Star (Hetty Feather, #3)
  • Lily Alone
Sir Michael Andrew Morpurgo, OBE, FRSL is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the Second World War, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, ...more