Start by marking “Defiance (Defiance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Defiance (Defiance, #1)

Defiance (Defiance #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  25,652 Ratings  ·  2,511 Reviews
Defiance by C. J. Redwine is rich postapocalyptic YA fantasy perfect for fans of Graceling and Tamora Pierce.

While the other girls in the walled city-state of Baalboden learn to sew and dance, Rachel Adams learns to track and hunt. While they bend like reeds to the will of their male Protectors, she uses hers for sparring practice.

When Rachel's father fails to return from
Published August 28th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Defiance, please sign up.
Rebecca The romance, while not graphic, I feel is still somewhat sensual, and unhealthy. The boy and girl are always putting eachother down. Most of the…more The romance, while not graphic, I feel is still somewhat sensual, and unhealthy. The boy and girl are always putting eachother down. Most of the characters are also, pretty perverted. the violence in this books is graphic. There are instances of blood jetting out of throats and people getting trample and eaten by a monster. This books is not something I would like my younger sibling reading.
I actually stopped reading this book, myself because I couldn't take the violence.

(less)
Jennifer Oh yeah!! I'm nearly done with it but don't want it to end!

Blythe
Honestly, I am shocked by the large number of glowing reviews Defiance has gotten thus far. Once again, it looks like I'm the black sheep, here to reign my terror on fangirls and fanboys all over Goodreads, and give my honest opinion on what I thought of the overrated mess known as Defiance.

In the city of Baalboden, Jared Adams is declared dead by the ruthless Commander, and Jared's daughter, Rachel, friend, Oliver, and apprentice, Logan, are gathered to the hearing of his will. In Jared's will
Emily May
1 1/2 stars. If this book was written 5-6 years ago and I had read it then, maybe I would have liked it. Maybe. Back before the formula it uses was used in every single dystopian novel. Back when I was less likely to see the huge gaping holes in it.

I judge a book on the entire story and effect, but also look at individual things - characters, writing, world-building and plot. And I must say that this book doesn't do anything that well.

Let's look at the characters. There are two POVs, Rachel and
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
“It’s probably my job to tell you that life isn’t fair, but I figure you already know that. So instead, I’ll tell you that hope is precious and you’re right not to give up.”

Gorgeous cover (the real reason I picked up the book, actually😜), gorgeous character and plot development, gorgeous Logan and Rachel... gorgeous everything.

Rachel is the perfect heroine in my opinion, she wasn’t blindly stubborn, or wishy-washy, and she wasn’t annoying. She was a true badass and a very real person. Her dad
Mitch
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
A thoroughly melodramatic misfire that ends like a B-grade Godzilla movie. Yeah, that definitely describes Defiance to a tee, I don't think I've been bashed so hard so many times over the head with manufactured emotions since, well, ever. Whether it's the melodramatic overwriting, the cruel, harsh, cookie cutter dystopian landscape, the one note antagonist, or all the awful things that happen to Rachel in the first chapter of this seventy one chapter mess, wow what an annoying book. I'm sure tho ...more
Zoey Talbon
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Defiance doesn't waste any time at throwing you right into the story. Once Commander Chase declares her father dead, Rachel Adams wastes no time in trying to come up with a plan to find him. Of course, Logan McEntire (Anyone think of Myra McEntire? I do.) doesn't plan to let her leave the "safety" of Baalboden on her own. Defiance is certainly filled with plenty of action, which is something I think a lot of dystopians are, oddly enough, missing.

Because Defiance is written in dual POVs, we get
♥Rachel♥
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
*“It’s probably my job to tell you life isn’t fair, but I figure you already know that….So instead, I’ll tell you that hope is precious, and you’re right not to give up.”

Seventeen year-old Rachel Adams can’t believe it when all the searches are called off, and her father, Jared, is declared dead. He is the best tracker/courier for the city state of Baalboden. Rachel’s heart is crushed with grief and despair, but she knows deep down that if anyone can make it in the Wastelands that lie beyond t
shady boots | #20gayteen
Yikes. I took almost two weeks to finish this. And to think, once upon a time I gave this book 5 stars and endless praise. It's amazing how opinions can change within a few years, huh?

This book was fine. The me from 3 years ago remembered it as awesome and heart-stopping and jaw-dropping and whatnot, but I suppose I was a tad too easily impressed at the time. My tastes have since developed and I no longer find much unique about this book.

You know how I usually say that there are some slower-pac
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. For some reason I expected this to be more YA fantasy with castles & magic (maybe it was the cover). It's more of a typical dystopian, though, complete with an evil Commander and a Wall the teens need to cross.

The whole story, characters, setting, and basically everything were super forgettable to the point where I feel like I just had my mind wiped right after finishing the book. Basically, nothing stood out for me (good or bad). I think if I had gotten to this before a lot of o
Keertana
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5 Stars

If I had to describe Defiance in one word, it would be ‘forgettable.’ Like so m any books before it, Defiance has all the right ingredients to be an incredible novel, from its heart-stopping cover to its kick-ass heroine to its intriguing plot, but somehow, it just didn't work for me. I went into this novel with low expectations, simply because so many trusted reviewers had given this a low rating, and I absolutely have to agree with them. Defiance, far from being a defiant
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Well, it seems I can still enjoy dystopian after all! Now, this statement (and my delight) may seem a bit odd to those of you who don’t know me very well, but I was never a big fan of the (sub)genre in the first place, and there are only a handful of dystopian titles that I actually loved. (Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me trilogy and Ann Aguirre’s Razorland are the only two that quickly come to mind.) I was more than a little surprised and more than a little thrilled when I was able to add Defiance to ...more
Whitley Birks
I can just imagine the conversation that must have taken place with this book…

“So, I’ve got this manuscript about a girl who lives in this fantasy setting—”

“Fantasies aren’t big right now. Can you make it dystopian?”

“Um, I guess we could just say that the world got destroyed and this is what’s leftover?”

“Great, let’s go with that. That fact that it makes no sense will be beside the point. Tell me about the main character.”

“Her name is Rachel, and her dad is missing so she has to go find him usi
Giselle
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
In a futuristic setting with walled-in cities to stave off a monstrous killing machine, Defiance is a mix of dystopian and fantasy that has a very interesting premise, although its characters did leave me feeling kind of uncomfortable, as well as annoyed.

As it started out I began to really like our female lead, Rachel. She was tough and confident, knowing how to take care of herself, unlike other women in this city. As the book progresses, I found she made a lot of impromptu decisions - trying
Amanda The Book Slayer
Check out Amanda the Book Slayer

Rating : 1.5 Stars

Recommendation : I really don’t think I can.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of this book is Cover Lust! Seriously is that not an awesome cover? I mean it oozes Bad*ss and action packed right? I know that is exactly what I thought too. So for the Cover I am going to have to say it won all 5 Marks for getting noticed and wanting to read/buy. Way to go Marketing team!

I wish that I could say that what I found in the pages were up to m
Ashley
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this intriguing enough to continue on in the series, but I didn't really feel like this first book in the series was all that amazing. It took forever to read, and nothing truly exciting enough to draw me in happened.

I liked the main characters, and some of the things that happened to them made me sad. I liked how it drew them closer though. I am excited to continue on in this series sometime down the road. Probably sooner, rather than later.

come find me:
www.facebook.com/ReadsAsh
IG: ash.
Jodi Meadows
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I tried several times to start this review with something clever or profound, something that would let you know I mean Serious Business about this book. But every time I tried, I ended up with something like OMCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!

In case that wasn’t clear enough for you: I love this book.

There were so many things that thrilled me about DEFIANCE, from the characters to the worldbuilding to the gorgeous prose that pulled me so deep into the story I never wanted to leave. DEFIANCE was one of
Wendy Darling
2.5 stars This was...fine. But felt like an urban fantasy set in a fantasy/dystopian world, and I didn't really care that much about the characters.

I did like the way some of the action scenes were written, and the (view spoiler) was genuinely shocking. It was the only time I felt emotion while reading this, though.
Lindsay Cummings
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harpercollins12
finished it! this book....sigh. I love it. love, love LOVE it. Rachel is so tough, but she has pain in her that fuels her on. Logan- sexy. That's all I'm going to say about him, because what girl DOESN'T want a sexy inventor boy who can fight? It's chilling, has amazing characters, and the story is fresh and unique to what's out there right now. I LOVED IT.

I read through it pretty quick, despite the fact that I'm knee-deep in edits, and I can't wait to buy a finished copy!

Congrats, CJ. You're a
Reynje

Well, T.I.A. 1

It’s been a while since I’ve found it such a struggle to finish a book. I’m not going to sugarcoat this, I wouldn’t have reached the end of Defiance without resorting to pep-talks, a bit of page-skimming and outright bribery. ”You can do it! Finish this chapter and then you can eat all the chocolate in the house!”

Is anyone able to clear something up for me? Does Defiance take place in the future of our world, or an alternate world? Because if it’s ours, and Redwine is su
TL
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to TL by: my soul-sister Stephanie :)
Surprisingly excellent :)

Loved Rachel, Oliver,and Logan... a close knit family (even if not by blood). The closeness of them had a smile on my face, especially the moments between Rachel and Oliver.

Her father Jared (who has disappeared ) we don't get much screen time with but we get a good sense of him through the other's memories. An honorable man.

The commander... a good villain but oooooh! I volunteer to kick him on the balls! Haha... snake of a man with no conscience.

Living under the rule
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

3.5 out of 5

There's a lot going on in those three-hundred-odd pages, the first-of-a-new-series by author C.J. Redwine. Defiance boasts a mix of several genres and subgenres, two decently flawed and interesting narrators and protagonists, and one of them a strongish female main character, as well as plenty of action and adventure to lure in readers and keep them invested. Like my other 3.5/5 ratings, I want to stress that I really enjoyed this, parti
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3.5-4 stars

The Defiance series by C.J. Redwine is one I've been meaning to read for a while. Dystopian books can be hit or miss, but I kept hearing good things about the story and characters. One thing I wasn't prepared for, though, is how dark and gritty these books actually get. The author is not afraid to make her characters experience pain, suffering, and heartbreak; she pushes Rachel and Logan past their limits and there were times I could hardly stand to read it. Themes of revenge, justice
Sandes gii
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5/5

hace rato necesitaba un libro que tuviera todo:
- chica valiente y luchadora
-chico sexy e indiferente
- romance y rechazo
- pelea, luchas, batallas
- y mucha sangre

me agrado de principio a fin porque tiene todo lo que antes dije y me parecio interesante la historia. Me gusto mucho la química de Logan y Rachel, (a Logan me lo imagine como Logan Lerman aunque no tiene nada que ver).
Me gusto mucho como se describe el paisaje y el tiempo en que esta. Es uno de mis libros preferidos y se los recomiend
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An unsolicited Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Rachel Adams lives in a city called Balboden where the women are meant to be obedient and docile (Yikes! This screams at the feminist in me.), and the men can freely take what they want. Balboden and its citizens are all under the rule of the tyrant Commander Jason. Rachel lives with her father Jared the city's best tracker and courier, and her father's a
Acordul Fin
“I'm no longer a daughter.
No longer a granddaughter.
No longer a girl with dreams. With hope.
I'm a weapon, now.”
I hate this book with the heat of a thousand suns!

The "post-apocalyptic" setting was one of the most ridiculous settings I've ever come across:

-The "city" of Baalboden was a glorified fortified village.
-We have not idea who are the Rowansmarks exactly and why they are building weapons to obliterate other communities starting with Baalboden.
-No idea what the heck is "The Cursed One"
Jasprit
Defiance was a book that was on my priority to acquire list ever since I first came across it earlier this year. The gorgeous cover and enticing premise instantly captured my attention. I’ve had certain issues with paranormal books where they just haven’t appealed to me, but I had a feeling Defiance would be different and different it certainly was.

The city of Baalboden is under the regime of the Commander and his brute squad. Whatever he says goes, if you step out of line or one of his guards c
Eunice
Defiance is one of the books I've been highly anticipating to read this year. So you can just imagine how ecstatic I was when I got approved for an ARC of it, I almost started jumping up and down like a three-year old kid. And I'm more than happy to find out and tell you that this book really did not disappoint. It wasn't flawless but it was certainly good. The plot, twist and character blend it effectively to make a really interesting, thrilling and gripping action-packed story.

I love heroines
Lili
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it

Baalboden is a walled in city that thrives under the command of Commander Chase and fears The Cursed One that resides underground in the Wasteland. Here, the women must be given a Protector at age sixteen. They cannot leave their home without said escort and when they turn seventeen, a man will court them and they will become a wife. Such a thing is necessary to the survival of a colony of people that do not leave the walls. One of the few people that is able to leave the walls is couri
Sylvia
Can I say that this book really surprised me in such a good way. I had no expectations going in except knowing that those who have read it really enjoyed it. And, enjoyed it I did. This book captivated me from start to finish.

Set amongst the backdrop of a new world, forged out of the death and destruction of the old, Redwine created a civilisation reminiscent of medieval times but set in the future, hence why the women in the story were treated like second class citizens and men as their protec
Nafiza
I’d like to start this review by saying that I loved this novel to bits. Well, okay, not to bits because I have no idea what bits have to do with loving. Or what the bits of a novel are or where that particular phrase comes from. Let me start again.

Defiance proved to be everything I look for in a novel that I read for entertainment. This is not to say that it is perfect and flawless but when you like something despite its flaws, I reckon it’s a good thing. A very very good thing. For me anyway.

I
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Apr 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
This book is set in a world where civilization has been destroyed by creatures that live beneath the earth’s surface that were awoken by people drilling for a new source of renewable fuel?? Once these creature were awake they were apparently really offended by all the noise being made on the earth’s surface they decided to exterminate everyone.

50 years later the remaining people on earth live in walled cities surrounded by wastelands, and the biggest change in society is that women are no longe
  • Renegade (The Elysium Chronicles, #1)
  • Skylark (Skylark, #1)
  • Black City (Black City, #1)
  • Auracle
  • Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)
  • Glitch (Glitch, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • The Treachery of Beautiful Things
  • The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)
  • Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #1)
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Luminosity (The Raven Chronicles, #1)
  • Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lost Girl
  • The Dark Light
  • Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)
  • Cold Fury (Cold Fury, #1)
  • Starling (Starling, #1)
**Please read my FAQ before sending any requests: http://cjredwine.blogspot.com/p/faq.html **

C.J. Redwine loves fairy tales, Harry Potter, and going to the movies. If the novel writing gig ever falls through, she’ll join the Avengers and wear a cape to work every day. To learn more about C.J., visit her website at www.cjredwine.com
More about C.J. Redwine

Defiance (3 books)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Deliverance (Defiance, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“It’s probably my job to tell you life isn’t fair, but I figure you already know that. So instead, I’ll tell you that hope is precious, and you’re right not to give up.” 330 likes
“I love how you still think if you tell me to do something, I'll just check my brain at the door and do it.” 140 likes