Start by marking “The Weight of Water” as Want to Read:
The Weight of Water

The Weight of Water

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  3,733 Ratings  ·  698 Reviews
Armed with a suitcase and an old laundry bag filled with clothes, Kasienka and her mother head for England. Life is lonely for Kasienka. At home her mother's heart is breaking and at school friends are scarce. But when someone special swims into her life, Kasienka learns that there might be more than one way for her to stay afloat."The Weight of Water" is a startlingly ori ...more
Published January 5th 2012 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of Water, please sign up.

Skin Head she didnt write this book she just shat out some paper
Crank by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsI Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa SchroederBurned by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen Hopkins
YA Novels in Verse
142 books — 248 voters
One by Sarah CrossanNeedlework by Deirdre SullivanThe Space Between by Meg GrehanAsking For It by Louise O'NeillThe Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan
Irish YA
98 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Reading Corner
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Weight Of Water is a novel written in a beautiful,poetic style which creates a fantastic story and atmosphere.Kasienka and her mother move to England, in search of Tata,Kasienka's dad who her mother is determined to find despite Kasienka's reluctance. Kasienka encounters numerous problems throughout the book, in school and at home.

The novel deals with numerous themes, relevant to young people and adults.The honesty in Sarah Crossan's writing is a brilliant aspect of this book, as she doesn't
Emily May
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, poetry, arc, 2013

I need to finally brush off my prejudice against books that are written in verse. Every single time I raise a sceptical eyebrow in their direction - completely unable to believe that this is anything more than just lazy storytelling - and every single time I find myself impressed. The Weight of Water was no exception. This is a delightful, if somewhat heartbreaking, little story that took me just over an hour to read.

I've noticed some people shelving this as "middle grade" and I understand why
Cait • A Page with a View
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I usually have a hard time getting into stories told in verse, but the lyrical style here was absolutely mesmerizing.

Kasienka and her mother are Polish immigrants in England who are looking for the missing father. Even though Kasienka is smart, she's put in a lower grade level at school because she can't speak English as well. She navigates her way through this new world and its challenges with straightforward insight that paints such a clear picture of her life.

So I was invested in the story
Jo
“When I am in the water
My body moves like a wave:
There is a violence to it
And a beauty.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
“And it
Never felt so good.”

High Points.
Kasienka. William. The writing. Friendship. Saying goodbye. Reunions. Butterfly stroke. Kisses like Haribo. Love is a large W. Mama. Resilience. Culture. Blueberry ice cream. Girly sleepovers. Tummy tumbles.

Low Points.
I would have loved to have had a few more poems set when Kasienka and her mum were in Poland. I think it would have adde
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's my novel, so I'm giving it five stars in the hope that I start a trend! Do hope you enjoy reading it. Any thoughts, send me a message; I'd love to hear from you.
Arielle Walker
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, young-adult
I'm not usually a fan of novels written in poetic form, but this was an exception. Much like the water which is a recurring motive, this is far deeper than it first appears, with a beautifully written protagonist. The sparse words were infinitely more evocative than dense prose would have been. I found that the characters moved fluidly and realistically throughout Kasienka's life, and the result was a beautifully moving piece of literature.
Simply lovely.

Excerpt from book:

We weren't on a ship.
I
Marieke
Na nog even nagedacht te hebben, ga ik toch voor 3 sterren ipv 4. Niet omdat dit boek slecht was, maar omdat de hoofdpersoon mij niet zo aansprak. Kasienka is echt een lieverd, maar je leert haar niet helemaal kennen naar mijn idee.

Het vorige boek dat ik van Sarah Crossan las, Een, vond ik veel sterker dan dit boek. Daar leerde je de hoofdpersoon echt door en door kennen.
Maar dan nog even een positief punt: wat lezen deze boeken heerlijk snel weg! (ik had hem binnen een dag uit). Ik hou van ha
Rebecca
A short, basic read. The story was alright, quite mediocre and not much happened. It just felt quite basic and underdeveloped. I adored One, also written by Crossan in a freeverse format, but this just felt very two dimensional and boring.
Amanda

The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan is the story of twelve year old Kasienka. Kasienka’s mother is on a mission to find her husband after he left, so she and Kasi leave Poland and move to Coventry, England.

Kasi is an amazing girl; she’s intelligent and a talented swimmer. All she wants is to be accepted by the girls in her class but instead she encounters racism and bullying. I appreciated Kasi acknowledging that back home, she treated a new girl at her school similarly as I always find it har
Ben Babcock
Talk about come-from-behind challengers. I was so certain I had my Carnegie nominees sorted, and then I read the The Weight of Water. I almost didn’t read it. It’s getting close to the end of the school year, and in a week’s time I’ll be on a plane back to Canada for the summer. I wasn’t sure I wanted to invest the time in reading this book, particularly because it is written in verse. Poetry and I are … fairweather friends.

Not reading this book would have been a huge mistake, one I’m glad I did
Carnegie book war...: The Weight of Water 25 14 Jun 18, 2013 02:49PM
Goodreads Librari...: Help needed to add an edition to a book? 8 140 Oct 27, 2011 03:59PM
  • Out of This Place
  • Serafina's Promise
  • T4
  • Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse
  • Moonpenny Island
Sarah Crossan is Irish. She graduated with a degree in Philosophy and Literature before training as an English and Drama teacher at Cambridge University and worked to promote creative writing in schools before leaving teaching to write full time.

She completed her Masters in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick in 2003 and in 2010 received an Edward Albee Fellowship for writing.

She curren
More about Sarah Crossan...
“When I am alone
I do not know who I am.

When I am alone
I am nothing.”
3 likes
“I don't want you to write a poem for me
But it would be nice if you did.

And if you bought a rose for me
It would be OK too
But I don't want you to buy flowers
Necessarily.

I don't want you to carry my book bag
But if you feel like doing that
Spontaneously
I wouldn't stop you.

I wouldn't stop you being romantic
If that's what you wanted.”
1 likes