Start by marking “Bacacay” as Want to Read:
Bacacay

Bacacay

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  618 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
A balloonist finds himself set upon by erotic lepers…a passenger on a ship notices a human eye on the deck…a group of aristocrats enjoy a vegetarian dish made from human flesh…a virginal young girl gnaws raw meat from a bone…a notorious ruffian is terrorized by a rat. Welcome to the bizarre universe of Witold Gombrowicz, whose legendary short story collection is presented ...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Archipelago (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Bacacay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bacacay

Aslı Can
Genellikle öykü kitaplarını okurken zevk verse de ileride o kitabı hatırlamaya çalıştığımda zorlanıyorum. Bakakaii'deki öyküleri unutabilirim belki ama okurken bende oluşturduğu tedirginliği unutmam sanırım. Hikayeler o kadar garip ki; daha ne olacak diye tedirginlikle okudum hep. Tavsiye ederim, edebiyat seven birinin okuması gereken özgün bir kitap bence.
Olivia
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to think that I didn't like short stories. I thought they would leave me unsatisfied , without any time to develop neither story nor characters. Akutagawa made me doubt my attitude, Borges changed my mind, and now, Gombrowicz has sealed the deal. After having read a perfectly measured story, there is no turning back. And Gombrowicz really knows how to do this.

In Bacacay, Gombrowicz presents us with a ridiculing look at social interaction and expectations. The usual ideas of how "everythin
paul
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: european, fiction
Perhaps I need to attempt reading Gombrowicz in my native language rather than Spanish. Or maybe I need to read closer and with more observation. As one may can see, I'm finding an abyss between what I have heard and read from other readers and world literature enthusiasts, and my experience and chores of reading the author. There is a chasm between Gombrowicz and I.

Funny and bizarre, yes, these short stories are cracks at institutionalized ideas and ways of life, especially the aristocratic no
Marcos Francisco Muñoz
Los cuentos de Gombrowicz me parecen una obra ecléctica y algo desigual. Los cuentos buenos son muy buenos (y lo mejor, breves), pero hay otro par que se hacen en verdad tediosos y el leerlos se siente más como una tarea.
Sea como sea, Gombrowicz es un gran autor y si bien no comparto el entusiasmo de Sergio Pitol por "Bacacay", es una lectura más que recomendada.
Mike Polizzi
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Xenophobia, totalitarianism, traveling the ocean in a glass bubble...Gombrowicz creates stories that inhabit worlds parallel to our own that manages to shine a lot of light on the strange and arbitrary rules of human existence.
Joshua
This goes really high up on my list of favorite story collections. Unique, grotesquely weird at times and very funny. One of those works that makes you eager to read everything else available from the author.
Zvonimir
Priče slične Cortazarovim, s ludim događajima, likovima i sudbinama. Već me prva priča uvukla u taj posebni svijet, ali nisu mi baš sve sjele, neke su mi bile bespotrebno razvučene. Sve u svemu, vrlo pomaknuta i neubičajena knjiga.
Pamela Schiller
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
“Gdyby mnie starym nałogiem nagabywano o ideę, misję, o gwoli etc., to odpowiadam po prostu:
Marchewka
i w tym ważkim słowie zawieram całe szczęście wyzwolenia spod terroru [...]. Witaj mi, niski poziomie, niekulturalna, płytka, banalna - trywialna nawet - postawo, witaj mi!”
Marek Pawlowski
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zbiór opowiadań Gombrowicza przeczytałem już trzeci raz. Odzwyczaiłem się trochę od jego pióra i chyba muszę na nowo przypomnieć sobie jego twórczość. Samego Gombrowicza zawsze umieszczałem w ścisłej czołówce pisarzy, których uważam za geniuszy i z roku na rok nic się w tym wypadku nie zmienia. Po długiej przerwie (ostatni raz czytałem jego powieści na studiach a nowo wydany Kronos mnie jakoś nie przekonał), efekt zachwytu jedynie się zmaksymalizował. Tym razem moją uwagę przykuło przede wszystk ...more
Andrew
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are perfect moments in these stories:

When I do something well, I feel suspended on the inscrutable smiles of women, horses, frogs, dogs and bees.

Virginity - a stunning combination of physics and metaphysics, abstract and concrete - from a minor bodily detail there flows an entire sea of idealism and wonders that are glaringly at odds with our sorry reality.

When I kiss a lady's hand I lick it moistly, after which I quickly take out my handkerchief: "Oh, pardon me! "I say, and wipe it with
  • Tranquility
  • A Dream in Polar Fog
  • Diary of Andres Fava
  • Karaoke Culture
  • Barbarian in the Garden
  • A Dreambook for Our Time (Writers from the Other Europe)
  • Mandarins: Stories by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa
  • My Body and I
  • The Novices of Sais
  • Insatiability
  • The Collected Stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer
Witold Marian Gombrowicz (August 4, 1904 in Małoszyce, near Kielce, Congress Poland, Russian Empire – July 24, 1969 in Vence, near Nice, France) was a Polish novelist and dramatist. His works are characterized by deep psychological analysis, a certain sense of paradox and an absurd, anti-nationalist flavor. In 1937 he published his first novel, Ferdydurke, which presented many of his usual themes: ...more
More about Witold Gombrowicz...

“Rzecz prosta, im mądrzejszy czytelnik, tym i książka okaże się mądrzejsza; im zaś czytelnik głupszy i bardziej jałowy, tym i książka będzie głupsza.” 21 likes