Start by marking “The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

(Mara Dyer #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  141,519 ratings  ·  15,311 reviews
Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.
Published September 27th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Book_Lover_8 Oh, he's definitely real.
Renee Yes there is. A typical I hate boy but I end up loving him scene.

·  141,519 ratings  ·  15,311 reviews

Emily May
Jul 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, pnr, 2013
Warning: this review contains flashing gifs and foul language.

I've spent two years avoiding this book. I remember in 2011 when I stumbled across that exciting GR description and pretty - if slightly creepy and discomfiting - cover, but my initial curiosity was quickly dampened by the reviews from my trusted goodreads friends. And for nearly two years, I have listened. My intentions were to never give this book/series another thought, until I recently came across this interesting page: 15 Young A
Tatiana
May 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "Hush, Hush"
Well, let me get this out of the way - The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has nothing whatsoever in common with The Adoration of Jenna Fox, even though their publisher-provided plot descriptions are almost identical. What it is similar to is the infamous bestseller Hush, Hush, but it is just a tad less offensive. So, if you are a fan of that novel, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is your next natural reading choice.

I'll attempt to refrain from excessive ranting here, but, goodness, this novel is just as ba
Wendy Darling
1.5 stars Welcome to yet another teen romance masquerading as a paranormal novel. If you’re like me, you’ve been salivating to read this book for months because of the breathtaking cover—and of course, the premise of a girl waking up in a hospital with no memory of how her friends were killed is pretty intriguing. I’m sorry to say, however, that the maddening phenomenon I’m calling “cover fraud” strikes again, since this is another book whose interior does not live up to its beautiful cover art. ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After feeling this was a 3 Star read (based on content) that I had a 5 Star time reading, I decided to meet in the middle with a 4 Star Rating. 😂 Just go with it. All you Mara Dyer haters out there, I get it, there are all the same issues here that people had with Twilight and all the other hyped teen paranormal books of the era. I found them too, but I was prepared going in; I didn’t pick this up until after everyone else had already read it so I knew that these books set feminism back about 10 ...more
Steph Sinclair

Hmm...Where do I even start with this book? I guess I should start by saying The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and I have this awkward love/hate relationship. If this book were a person, it'd be the boyfriend I sometimes had fun with, but never wanted to take with me in public because I knew he would do something stupid and embarrass the hell outta me. For majority of the first half of the book, I wanted to stomp it into the ground with my pair of patent leather pumps. However, somewhere along the lin
"That's All" Ash
 photo download-17.jpg

This is THE best book I’ve ever read.

I don’t rate my books one star to five stars. I rate my books one-star to “The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.”

People always want to know what my absolute hands-down favorite book is. And it’s funny because when they ask, they always give me that good minute-long silence for me to think it over. But I never need a minute. And I probably never will.

This is my favorite book.

This book is my trump card whenever my friends and I are talking about the most amazing boo
Lola
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
What a strange book.

So strange in fact that I don’t know what to make of Mara Dyer.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is peculiar. It’s a paranormal story with scenes that border on illogical and highly infused with sometimes cringe-worthy, sometimes heart-stopping romance.

BUT.

It’s also thrilling and hard to put down. I kept my lights on, as recommended by Rachel Hawkins, and let me tell you that you’ll want to do that, too.

It won’t scare you. But it will raise goose bumps on your arms and legs and mak
Katerina
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
“But without my big mouth, no one would know that a seventeen-year-old who likes Death Cub for Cutie was responsible for the murders. No one would know that somewhere out there is a B student with a body count. And it's important that you know, so you're not next.”

This book messed with my sanity. It teased it, played with it and then tossed it aside and left me trying to gather my wits, something that felt like catching feathers in a tornado. Impossible.

I was very hesitant to start this book
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
You know when you read a book and you can stop rolling your eyes and think “I’m too old for this shit”?!
Well, that was me reading this book.

The premise was interesting. A girl uses a ouija board with her friend. She wakes up in the hospital not remembering how her best friend died. Paranormal things start happening…

But there were so many bad YA tropes I just couldn’t deal.

Conversations that would never happen between teenagers (come on nobody will quote a few sentences from Lolita just like th
Lori
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I truly have no idea where to even start. I'm sure if I just said 'Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow' over and over again that it would get my point across just fine, but that might be a little repetitive and inarticulate. I'm going to try to get my very gushing thoughts in order for you guys.

When I opened the pages of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer I had no idea what to expect. The synopsis really doesn't give you much, and I like it that way. The vague synopsis, the eerie cover, and the fantastic titl
emma
remember when i read a 2011 classic in 2018 and it went about as well as you'd expect based off that insane sentence??? yeah. i posted the review. find it here: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

-----

Well, this book didn’t exactly age like a fine wine!!!!

This is the wearing-eyeliner-on-your-bottom-lid-but-not-your-top of books. The I Heart Justin Bieber graphic tee of series start-offs. The Twilight of YA fantasy paranormal romance. Wait. Twilight is the Twilight of that.

Anyway.

The Unbecom
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fQpa...

People have been recommending this to me for ages and I just decided to pick it up on a whim recently and oh my freaking god, this was amazing. I flew through this and literally had to force myself to put it down and get some sleep.. it was that good. The characters were amazing, the plot was amazing, the writing was amazing, IT WAS SO GOOD. It really wasn't what I was expecting but in the best possible way. I'll film a more coherent r
John Egbert

description

Replace "with you and Jade i guess?" to "with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer?" and the reply can stay the same.

Yes. I went there.

Warning

description
(Yes I am actually aware of how juvenile that was.)

There will be no love for Mara Dyer here. If you have a problem with that, I suggest you go read another review. The funniest part is that whenever I make a warning like this it ends up getting ignored and I'm trolled anyway, but hey, it was worth a shot, right?

Right?

Also, because I can't be fucked to individually
Kiki
I want you all to know that the only reason I'm writing this review is because I have nothing better to do. It's not because I want you to understand how I felt about it; it's not that I have anything particularly inspiring or interesting to say. In fact, this quite nicely mirrors the sort of experience this book gave me.

Sometimes, when I'm reading a fucking terrible book, I have to stop and wonder: why did no one catch this? I'm sorry to keep banging on and on and on and repeating the same dre
Cait
megs_bookrack
**4.5-stars**

Oh my goodness.
That was a good time.
((Fans self...))

I had no idea what to expect going into this. It is a series I hear about all the time. One of those, 'everyone has read it but me' series. The one you hear EVERYONE talking about but can't relate...

For 2019, I created a TBR jar for myself to help me clear off some of my backlist titles and this was the first book I pulled. I knew that I would either love it or hate. Luckily, I truly enjoyed it!

Upon waking up in the hospital, Mara
L A i N E Y
Shit Shit Shit Noah effing Shaw Shit Shit Shit Shit

Damn you for making me squeal like an idot in front of other people!

Damn you.

For the past week I must have started close to a dozen books and this was the only one that I came back to and actually held my attention. I don't want to jinx it by proclaiming it had broke me out of my month-long slump because really it's too early to tell but what I can definitely say is my attention didn't waver the whole day I was reading the book.

Drat did I jus
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

I've had this book on my TBR before, but then I removed it because it looked too fluffy you know... But it was still on my ereader so I thought, "Why no give it a go?"

I'm so glad I did, because I could have missed out on one of the best stories I have ever read!

Mara Dyer has just survived a horrible accident, her friends weren't so lucky.To help cope with the stress, her parents move the entire family to a new town. New beginnings. But the past has a way of following you wherever you go. Mara re
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: The Girl In Boots

I’m definitely with Aunt Cassie (Clare) on this book. It’s completely romantic and intriguing, I was definitely drawn in from beginning till end and I did not expect that I’d like this book that much. It probably has a lot to do with Noah who had me swooning from scalp to toenails. I think I have a new book boyfriend!

I’m sure the plot wasn’t perfectly played and I definitely spotted loopholes in the storyline but you don’t get to read a lot of good paranormal stories these days. The school setti
Nick
Sep 19, 2014 marked it as to-read
description

I keep hearing mixed things about this series.I am intrigued to read it because of the mind thing and it really sounds interesting.Any feedback?

Raeleen Lemay
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Re-read in November 2014
THE ENDING THE ENDING OH MAN I FORGOT THAT WAS THE ENDING. My general thoughts on the book remain the same as the last time I read this; the romance was a bit cheesy, but the mystery and plot twists really held the whole thing together!

Onwards to book 2!!

First read in January 2013
WOOO. AWESOME BOOK. At times the main Mara and Noah gave off a very "Bella & Edward" vibe which was a bit of a turn-off for me, but the whole mystery and creepiness of the book was great! And
April
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a mind trip this book was! Throughly enjoyed it!
C.G. Drews
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was so darn creepy and delicious that I just want to take a moment to shriek: IT IS REALLY GOOD at you. Okay. I'm good now. I've done my shrieking.

HAHAHA JUST KIDDING I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY.

So I went into this book knowing a lot of people liked it but not knowing really what it was about. <-- #StoryOfMyLifeSinceIAmTooLazyToReadBlurbs (My bad.) But it's basically about Mara Dyer (SURPRISE) who has PTSD after an accident that killed all her friends. So she and family move to a new to
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This beauty is currently on sale for 1.99 (it's usually I think 10.99?!?) http://amzn.to/2xiinVD

description

“I didn’t know what was real, what was a nightmare, what was a memory.” – Mara Dyer

Well Mizz Mara Dyer, you and I have that in common. I spent the majority of this book in a state of utter confusion with the question “WTF is happening?” on repeat in my brain.

Let’s break it down quickly, shall we? Mara Dyer wakes up in a hospital having been involved in an accident she has no recollection of. Becaus
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“And just like that, I was completely, utterly, and entirely,
His.”

4.5/5 stars

Michelle Hodkin is such a good author. The novel just grips you and won't let you breath until you've read it all!
Most of what I have to say about the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is positive.
I've read it twice now and I have to say that I really very much enjoy reading the dialouges. I mean, I enjoyed all of it, but especially the dialouges. They're funny, sassy, sexy, always taking turns.
The plot is well worked out and the
Giselle
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
I think this was probably my most anticipated book in the past months, and I also think that was it's downfall. You really look forward to a book. Everyone is saying how incredibly awesome it is. Nothing could ever be as good as this book - except maybe Daughter of Smoke and Bone - so how can it possibly live up to my already extreme expectations? Well... not like this.

Mara Dyer - Oh Mara Dyer, you had such an awesome beginning. A mysterious and creepy letter to set the mood. A strange event no
Lala BooksandLala
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Regardless of the flaws, this story captivated me. Everything was too easy, the characters too clichéd, the romance too center stage, considering the "paranormal" genre it's put in..but I'm still hooked, feeling very "*~omg omg noah shaw*♡"
Saniya
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eva Rian ☾
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was sooo good
Sandra
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My name is not Mara Dyer, but my lawyer told me I had to choose something. a pseudonym. a nom de plume, for all of us studying SATs. I know that having a fake name is strange, but trust me - it's the most normal thing about my life right now.

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Well okay. Not that perfect. Second read showed me that, this book was not at all perfect as I thought it was, the first time I read it. But still, the 5 stars remain. Smiley

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've read this book back in 2012 I think. I loved it th
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
  • Speak
  • Possess
  • Shattered Souls (Souls, #1)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
  • Fateful
  • Clarity (Clarity, #1)
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
  • Hunting Lila (Lila, #1)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • The Predicteds
  • On the Fringe
  • All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1)
  • Haunting Violet (Haunting Violet, #1)
  • Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1)
  • The Beginning of After
Michelle Hodkin is the author of the Mara Dyer Trilogy, which was a New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling series. The trilogy, which includes The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, and The Retribution of Mara Dyer, was described as “haunting and dreamlike” by Cassandra Clare and “darkly funny, deliciously creepy, and genuinely thoughtful” by Veronica Roth. ...more

Mara Dyer (3 books)
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
  • The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3)
“Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.” 2928 likes
“What would you do if I kissed you right now?"
I stared at his beautiful face and his beautiful mouth and I wanted nothing more than to taste it. "I would kiss you back.”
1328 likes