Start by marking “Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1)

Terrier (Beka Cooper #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  50,484 Ratings  ·  1,605 Reviews
"I knew well the rules to follow with our training Dogs: Speak when you're spoken to. Keep out of the way. Obey all orders. Get killed on your own time."

In 246 H.E., the Provost's Dogs guard Tortall's capital city. Beka Cooper is one of their newest trainees - a Puppy wet behind the ears but eager to learn. But Beka will have to learn faster than she bargained for because
Paperback, First Trade Paperback Edition, 582 pages
Published October 23rd 2007 by Random House (first published October 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Terrier, please sign up.

Amanda Morsing yes it is! beka is a really good main character. you will find out its a really exciting book becourse you not will found all the answers in the…moreyes it is! beka is a really good main character. you will find out its a really exciting book becourse you not will found all the answers in the start. you follow beka and see how she remain better and better with the story. in the collection are there six boox and them all are good. its not too hard to read but interesting so you will read it always. sorry im not so good to english:)(less)

Gail Carriger
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Tamora Pierce's Beka Cooper series, Book One: Terrier.

I'm beginning to, finally, recognize patterns in Tamora Pierce's heroines. When I was a kid I identified with her books so strongly I couldn't possibly step back as a writer to see her tricks. Now, with the benefit of age and distance, I read this book with new eyes. Her main characters always have some kind of fatal flaw - in Beka's case it's fear of public speaking and chronic shyness, for Alana it was cold and spiders, for Kel it was heig
Fran
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, own-tammy
The first time I read Terrier I thought it was some of Tammy's best writing in years and it quickly became one of my favourite Tortall books. I still feel that way after my latest re-read (in preparation for Bloodhound). Terrier feels fresh, and I attribute this reinvigoration of the Tortall world to several factors:
- Firstly: Terrier is written in first person, which is the first of Tammy's novels to be written thus (Note: Tammy has written short stories in first person).
- Secondly: it is writ
Sep 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Paige  Bookdragon
I love stories about the Tortall Realm.

I really really do. Cross my heart. Hope to die. Stick a needle in my eye

(You know, I never knew the reason why kids on our country say these things when they want to convince people they're telling the truth.This sounds painful.Maybe that explains the phrase, the truth hurts? )

But anyway ... por favor .

This book almost bored me to death. The only reason why I finished this one was because I have a high respect for Pounce . I think it tells a great d
Emily
I wish this had been written as a third-person novel rather than as a journal - I have many logistical and stylistic issues with journals as a medium. I suppose I'm willing to accept that Beka is coming back after a night of grueling exercise and writing thousands of words about her day, but I'm less willing to accept the grating writing style. Beka's "voice" is stilted and matter-of-fact, which made it read like low-grade YA fantasy from a debut writer instead of a novel written by an accomplis ...more
Cara
What is one word I can use to sum up the book hmm... probably AWESOME ! Seriously there isn't a lot of books that can do that (at least for me). Beka Cooper is the most kick butt, cool heroine I've encountered in all my reading days.

The book was just as good the second time around. At first I was wary of reading it again thinking it might not be as enjoyable this time around. Obviously I was wrong. I even caught myself looking ahead to see what happened, and then I would remind myself that I al
Elias
Jul 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I'm about a quarter of the way through this one, and I have to admit that I'm not enjoying it as much as I've enjoyed the rest of Pierce's bibliography. I don't have any specific complaints, except for the constant emphasis on the Dog/Puppy thing, which I find a little weird.

7/29 - Still trucking through. The story is good, but something about the narration is slowing me down, perhaps because it's in the form of a diary, and that seems cumbersome. Not only that, but here are the epistolary laye
Laudys
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
As I read this book, I entertained the idea that it should be a movie. Now, having finished it, I realize I was wrong. Beka Cooper deserves a BBC mini series, with very well written 3hrs long episodes. The world is so detailed, so real, there is so much life (and death) going on in the Lower City that if a single plot thread were to be eliminated to cram the story into a movie, it would be a shame.

'Cause you see, the Lower City is a crack pot of gamblers, smugglers, slavers, thieves and every ot
Ajax
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers for all Tortall books follow:

I have a love-and-hate relationship with Tamora Pierce's Tortall books. I found the Alanna quartet poorly written, enjoyed The Immortals, absolutely adored Protector of the Small ( so much so that Kel is now one of my favorite fictional characters ever), liked the Trickster's duo but also found it extremely problematic in certain respects. And then I moved onto Terrier which I'm sorry to say is my least favorite Pierce book that I've read so far. Pierce depa
Dichotomy Girl
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, rereads, 2011, 2012, 2015
I am attempting to read all the tortall books in Chronological order.

So I feel like I didn't enjoy this as much this time around, and I'm wondering if it's because I listed to it in audiobook form rather than reading it? Or maybe it was just my mood. I'm going to let my original rating stand. But I might skip the rest of the prequel trilogy and skip to the Alanna books which I've only read once about 8 years ago.

3rd Read: 5/22/2015
2nd Read: 2/1/2012
Original Read: 2/3/2011

Previous Review:

Naughty
Caroline
May 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the last "for fun" book I got to read before I started teaching last winter. Ever since I arbitrarily grabbed the first of Tamora Pierce's "Circle of Magic" books off the library shelf two years ago, I've been hooked on the ways Pierce plays around with definitions of magic, power, heroes, and humanism...all within a medieval-ish context.

This isn't great literature, but it is an imaginative world that kept me entertained for several months. Tamora Pierce likes to write books in couplet
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Just when I thought there wasn't much more to be done in Tortall, I heard about this book's release. (prequels ftw). I was hoping Beka would be a closer relative of George, maybe his grandmother or great-grandmother or something rather than what she is (6x great I think?) but it doesn't really matter over the course of the story itself. After one installment, Beka is well on her way to being one of my favorites of Tammy's characters (although I highly doubt I could pick a favorite of her leading ...more
Valerie
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Terrier is just another example of how great an author Tamora Pierce is. The writing is very detailed and although it is hard to believe that a girl would be so diligent in writing a journal it didn't really faze me. Beka is a great kick-butt, female protangonist. She is smart, caring, dedicated, and tough. It's because of this why Beka is called a Terrier.

The imagination of Pierce proves to be limitles as she decribes Tortall. It has knights, magic, beggars, Dogs, slaves, mages, etc. There is
Cinda
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, kind of a combination police procedural/high fantasy. Set in the Tortall world, with a light touch of magic. I read while I work out and this is the first book in a long time that made me forget where I was and what I was doing and wish the workout session could go on longer...
Vaidah
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Vaidah by: Jodie
Oh. My. GOD! I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!!!!!!!! I was all aflail and I got SO into it that I was even yelling at the book last night! Pounce is totally my favorite character. He is so full of sass, I love it! I wish I had my own Breakfast Club!
Samantha
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Recommended to Samantha by: nada
Shelves: favorites
Allison Hurd
3.5 Stars

Tamora Pierce is one of my favorite authors. Her heroines are always so honest and well-rounded people who inspire and subtly encourage young women. When I was 10, I found Daine and Alanna, and they opened a whole new world to me of characters who looked like me, and did things maybe I could do. They were flawed but not fatally, and they grew up as I did.

Beka Cooper is another such young heroine. She grew up poor, no stranger to the ravages of fate. She has a small magic, and a huge de
Caroline
This is the first Pierce novel I've read and there were a few hurdles I had to get over (the heroine is the best at everything, omg, but she's totally shy and self-deprecating and doesn't realize how great she is; she has a super-intellgent cat as a sidekick; 'just because the author has invented a handful of world-specific slang that does nothing to expand or enrich the story, these words will be repeated endlessly to the point that they become verbal tics.') I suspect a lot of that is par for ...more
Aubrey
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tamora Pierce Lovers and good fantasy & crime lovers
Recommended to Aubrey by: Tamora Pierce
Another installment in the mythology of Tamora Pierce's fictional land of Tortall and I am not disappointed. I am impressed with Pierce's foresight and love enough of her characters that she instead went back in time to give a base to the well-known and beloved characters of her series. Had she done otherwise we would have had to accept a few deaths of main characters. By telling an ancient legend of an ancestor the stories remain alive and Tortall's characters expand.

I greatly admire that each
Wealhtheow
Worried that her son George is hanging out with criminals, Mistress Cooper shares with him the journals of their long-gone ancestor, Beka Cooper. Centuries before George became King of the Rogues, she was one of the Provost's Dogs: the city's watch, charged with keeping the peace. Like her descendant, Beka is tough, with a prodigious memory and fierce sense of loyalty. After years serving the Dogs as a runner, she's finally allowed to tag behind two well-respected veterans, Tunstall and Goodwin. ...more
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
This book started off strong for me and I really liked it but somewhere in the middle I got lost. I could not remember who was who or follow certain directions the story too. I am bummed that my love dwindled somewhat as the book went on. On the positive side I grew to be a big fan of Beka and Pounce and felt invested in their stories. As far as the other characters go I didn't really feel I got to know anyone else on more than just a surface level. It could be because this is the first book in ...more
Misti
This is the most recent of Tamora Pierce's books, and possibly the least hyped, and I think I know why. I can't say I was particularly enthralled by the plot (which was transparent and overly complex) or by the writing style which is Diary format and street slang which seems a hypocritical combination. I found out yesterday that the book is to be the first in a series of three. Oh Tammy, say it ain't so! I can't take too much of this style, and may skip the next two in the series if they're anyt ...more
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
4.25/5 stars

Such a good start to a trilogy! I love Beka's character so much, plus she's so relatable - especially if you're someone who is super shy and hates talking in front of crowds and gets all nervous. I loved that about her and I loved how she doesn't just get over it in a couple chapters. It's part of her character and she struggles with it and I liked seeing that.

Rosto, though...I think I might be in love! The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the ending...SPOILERS...

When he kisses
Sienna K
Sep 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
THE. MOST. BORING. BOOK. I. HAVE. EVER. TRIED. TO. READ.

^^If don't understand that sentence ^^, 'I'D RATHER WATCH PAINT DRY'

Do not get out this book unless you are looking for torture. The chapters are a million pages long, and most of which are boring. I reckon I got up to about page 30 and then I had to stop, for the story was doing my head in. Whoever told me that was a good book, don't tell me anymore, cuz' obviously your eyes have incinerated and all that's left is the eye socket. SERIOUSL

Jodie
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what it is about Tamora Pierce but when I get into Tortall I don't ever want to leave. My office building has a lot of pigeons around it and that added something extra to reading Terrier I think. I stopped reading this book on Friday and spent the whole weekend wishing I'd brought it home with me to read! I also really need a cat like Pounce to boss me around and tell me what to do :)
Diamond Pray
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults and Adults 15+, anyone who loves fantasy
Shelves: best-of-the-best
I've been a huge Tamora Pierce fan every since I was a kid. I picked up Wolf Speaker in the library (not knowing it was the second book in a series) simply because wolves were my favorite animal at the time and Daine's powers were just about the most interesting thing in the world to me. Ever since I've adored all of her Tortall books. Often they were the only fantasy books I could find that had the female characters I was looking for.

That being said "Terrier" was a change of pace for me. Its th
Katie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Lower City is mine, its people are mine--its children are mine. If I find them that's doing all this kidnapping and murdering, they'd best pray for mercy. Because once I get my teeth in 'em, I will never let them go."

I loved this opening of another Tamora Pierce series! The journal and first-person format were pretty interesting, as well as the framing of Beka as an ancestor of George from Alanna's time. Let's see how Tortall fared in the past...

First of all, Goodwin is MY HERO (much as she
Bookbuyer
Kasey Jane
How have I never read Tamora Pierce?

Terrier features Beka Cooper, a streetwise young woman training to become a Provost's Dog -- policemen with the investigatory skills of Sherlock Holmes and the fighting prowess of Batman. Although her Training Dogs are reluctant, Beka soon proves herself a capable champion of the law in the dangerous Lower City streets. But Beka has more gifts than just quick hands and quicker mind -- she can catch whispers of deception and murder that no one else hears. Sinc
The Reading Corner : Chapter One 1 6 Feb 06, 2016 12:15PM
Gail Carriger Fan...: February 2016: Terrier by Tamora Pierce (YA) 2 24 Feb 01, 2016 10:17AM
Simple word game (so you better answer!!!) 4 17 Feb 09, 2015 12:42AM
Silver Stag Book ...: Terrier by Tamora Pierce 1 2 Jan 26, 2015 01:24PM
Willmar Public Li...: Terrier by Tamora Pierce 2 4 Nov 20, 2014 04:07PM
is this worth reading? 30 174 Apr 14, 2014 05:46PM
What's The Name o...: book with girl who is a trained officer but they call them "dogs"? /s 9 38 Apr 11, 2014 11:33PM
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
  • The Safe-Keeper's Secret (Safe-Keepers, #1)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Seer and the Sword (Healer and Seer, #1)
  • Wizards at War (Young Wizards, #8)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Half-Human
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

Beka Cooper (3 books)
  • Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2)
  • Mastiff (Beka Cooper, #3)
“The Lower City is MINE, Its People are MINE.
If I Find Them That's Doing All This Kidnapping
And Murdering, They'd Best Pray For Mercy,
Because Once I Get My Teeth In 'Em
I Will NEVER Let Them Go. ”
190 likes
“I well knew the rules to follow with our training Dogs: Speak when you're spoken to. Keep out of the way. Obey all orders. Get killed on your own time.” 165 likes