Start by marking “Smashing Wordpress: Beyond the Blog” as Want to Read:
Smashing Wordpress: Beyond the Blog

Smashing Wordpress: Beyond the Blog

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Smashing WordPress shows you how to utilize the power of the WordPress platform, and provides a creative spark to help you build WordPress-powered sites that go beyond the obvious. The second edition of Smashing WordPress has been updated for WordPress 3.1+, which includes internal, custom post types, the admin bar, and lots of other useful new features. You will learn the ...more
Published March 31st 2011 by Wiley (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Smashing Wordpress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smashing Wordpress

Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WordPress developers
This book is mostly a how-to guide for creating WordPress themes and plugins, and generally bending WordPress to your will.

The book is laid out well, with colored blocks of code interspersed with the text describing it. It could have used more screenshots and diagrams to demonstrate what the code snippets were doing.

I read the first edition in 2010, then read the second (2011) edition in 2013. By that time the second edition was somewhat dated, but still contained some good info. Below are my no
Dhuaine
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Excellent book on Wordpress. Very technical, with tons of code and more advanced examples than what seems to be the standard technical book fare. Theming tutorials I've read in the past didn't go into such detail; I also learned about a few more obscure ways to use Wordpress. Great resource for someone who's into Wordpress coding, but may be too dry for others.
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: WordPress developers
This book is for the experienced WordPress designer, not the beginner. Although it does touch on some WordPress essentials, it's mostly a how-to guide for creating WordPress themes and plugins, and generally bending WordPress to your will.

The book is laid out well, with colored blocks of code interspersed with the text describing it. There are very few screenshots and diagrams; more of these would have definitely helped me better understand what the code snippets were actually doing.

Notes
WordPre
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WordPress developers
This is a useful guide for intermediate to advanced WordPress developers. It covers theme development, plugin development, and customizing sites for various uses. It has clear examples, code snippets, and color screenshots.

I skimmed it because I personally do very little development; I now leave that to my teammates at OptimWise, my web design agency.

Notes
Drop-in plugins overwrite core functionality. Example: advanced-cache.php.

Use plugins rather than functions.php in most cases. Only use functi
Angela Risner
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I switched from Blogger to WordPress in 2006/2007. I wish that this book would have been around then, as I would have loved to have been able to tweak my blog on my own. As it was, I ended up hiring someone to create a theme for me, which wasn't cheap, and it was a disaster as I couldn't then make any updates on my own. This book would have helped me to close those gaps and allowed me to create the look I wanted to achieve.

This book makes me want to go back to WordPress and try my hand at creati
Andy Gibb
Sep 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Between the welter of Idiots, Dummies and Beginners guides, and the few reference books (or Bibles) it's hard to find something for those who want to know more than the basics. This could have been it for WordPress but, having struggled past Part II, I reluctantly have to say it's a mess. Ideas and concepts are strung throughout the text and I've spent more time referring back than actually reading forward. It doesn't help that raw wodges of code are repeated and you have to extract the point of ...more
Katya Kean
It feels as if English isn't the author's first language. The grammar and spelling is technically correct and obviously intelligent and informed, but the feel of it seems "off" somehow, and it makes this subtly less readable. English isn't just about rules of grammar, it's about a customary way of using it.
I find that if I read the words in a Swedish accent in my head, it actually helps my comprehension.
Lara Thompson
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From this book and others, and the few posts of their blog that I've read, I'm fast becoming a Smashing fan. They offer the perfect balance of technical and aesthetic while constantly reminding me that foremost design is about functionality. I actually read this book start to finish but it'll sit handy for a long time to come, I'm sure. The perfect introduction to WordPress theme editing, creation and taking it all well beyond the basic blog.
dario
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For the geek inside of me... the book, the method, the explanations, the raison detre, it was ok. Technically, correct.
With lots of data, examples, and some hacks or tricks (choose the word that you like it) to rule this CMS.
Smashing Magazine does it again... in my humble opinion.
A healthy habit...
Beau
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: instructional
There seems to be some typos or mistakes in the code examples of this Kindle edition.
This didn't really become evident to me until I began working with the actual code exercises in chapters 4 & 5.
While I like Mr. Hedengren's writing style, I feel as if I'd wasted a bit of time with the book.

I would like to see more rigorous technical editing in the forthcoming 4th edition.
Kelly
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am setting up a custom theme for Wordpress and this book, along with his one on themes, really helped me understand it better than many of the online resources I have been using. I am heavily weighted towards the design side of things in terms of website development and this book helped by giving me a more visual way of learning the ins and outs of Wordpress themes and Wordpress structure.
Jason Jacobs
Useful as a reference. I found some good information/tips and helpful explanations. If the WordPress codex explanations start making my head tired, I'll consult this for a simplified explanation. Have encountered some outdated info.
Boadicea
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must-read to learn the nuts and bolts of the wordpress framework plus provides the basics of how to extend and use wordpress not just for blogging but as the cms of choice for small to medium websites.
Christine Leiser
Terrific book that really breaks down WordPress and just how useful a content management system it is. Covers basics to advanced, plugins, theme creation. Very well written, easy conversational style. Beautifully done. A must for any WordPress enthusiast.
Sebah Al-Ali
فيه أشياء مفيدة، تتعلق بالتصميم و إدارة الووردبرس تقنيا. أظنه يناسب المبتدئ في الووردبرس و المتمرس أيضا.
Dwayne
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good, covered much of what I was looking for, which were some fundamentals but also more intermediate questions.
The more I read the more I learn.
Jim
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good, as far as it goes. Well organized and easy to follow. This is for the first baby steps of coding WP, beyond just downloading and installing it.
Mohamad Billy
Good book, for advanced wordpress maniacs, but for newbie it needs alot of learning about Wp- structure
Robert
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Very good Wordpress instruction book. Liked it so much I bought a copy for my reference shelf.
Sonia
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of this information is available with a Google search. That being said, there are a few snippets which were useful. This is a great start for anyone wanting to learn WordPress templating.
Ahmed Abdul
Aaron
Nov 26, 2011
Ryan
Sep 11, 2015
Website Builders-Useful Tools For Creating Amazing Websites 1 1 Feb 12, 2018 01:57AM
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • Professional WordPress: Design and Development
  • Smashing CSS: Professional Techniques for Modern Layout
  • The Smashing Book
  • Introducing HTML5
  • Hardboiled Web Design
  • Digging Into WordPress
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book Volume 2: More of the Best Themes, Trends and Styles in Website Design
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • The CSS Anthology
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Sexy Web Design
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • Pro Html5 Programming: Powerful APIs for Richer Internet Application Development
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • Simply JavaScript

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »