Start by marking “A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)” as Want to Read:
A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)

A Killing Season

(Medieval Mystery #8)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Baron Herbert’s return from crusade should have been a joyous occasion. Instead, he grows increasingly morose, withdraws from his family, and refuses to share his wife’s bed. When his sons begin to die in strange accidents, some ask whether Herbert harbors a dark sin for which God has cursed him. The baron suddenly sends for Sir Hugh of Wynethorpe, begging his friend to br ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Killing Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Killing Season

Margaret
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Had worked out who did, why and how by the time I was a third of the way through the book.

I prefer a mystery that challenges me, so I really didn't enjoy it very much. Also Prioress Eleanor's brother Hugh is a huge pain in the arse.
Judith Starkston
I’ve always enjoyed medieval mysteries. When well written, they pull me into a world distant and exotic enough to be utterly entertaining. Escape and history all in one read. Perfect. A friend recommended I read Priscilla Royal, and now I think I owe her a good lunch in return. Royal is definitely a skilled writer of medieval mystery.

Her duo of “sleuths,” Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas, have come to their vows from utterly different motivations and backgrounds, but nonetheless have a fascin
Gretchen
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
The plot seemed a bit far fetched and overly modern.
Cheryl
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
Eleanor, Hugh, Thomas & Anne are off to see Hugh's former war buddy Baron Herbert when upon their arrival, one of Herbert's remaining sons jumps out a window to his death. Apparently, this is something that has become quite common for Baron Herbert & his wife (sons mysteriously dying) and it's priests & nuns to the rescue! I just really love this series by Priscilla Royal. I love the time period it takes place in and all of the main characters are so intriguing, interesting, fun & ...more
Vicki Cline
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
A friend of Prioress Eleanor's brother, Sir Hugh, has asked Hugh to bring his sister and some physical and spiritual healers to his manor. Baron Herbert has returned from the Crusades and refuses to talk to his wife and children, believing he has something terribly wrong with him. This one was pretty interesting.
Rose Lambert
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intwresting

Learning is a never ending trail and again a great deal of knowledge is to be gained from this story as well as a great read!
Lydia Presley
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Original review posted here

I love it when I pick up a book that is, say, 8th in a series, and fall madly in love with it. Why? Because that means I have 7 more to enjoy before the 9th comes out!

Priscilla Royal might just be one of my new favorite authors. The Killing Season set the mood so incredibly perfectly and boasted such a thrilling cast of characters that I fell madly and deeply in love with them before I was even 2 chapters in.

And the story wasn't shabby either!

Gothic mysteries, to me, i
Susan in NC
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I got half-way through and just didn't care to finish this book; I knew who the killer was, and I frankly didn't care anymore what big secret Baron Herbert brought back from the Crusades. I did skim the last chapter to confirm the identity of the killer, but I just lost interest - same thing happened with the last book in this series, but I made myself finish it. I've read all of the books in the series but found the last two books annoying, plodding and totally lacking in humor; I know it was a ...more
Ken Kugler
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
A Killing Season, by Priscilla Royal, is a wonderful story to read. The author is wonderful in her ability to convey the time period and it is, be it dangerous or beautiful. Her characters are also fully fleshed out and all have flaws that they are ashamed of and well as goodness and graciousness.
That being said, I was disappointed that so early in the book I was able to figure out who the killer was in this story. I also knew why he killed. Still, I read on because of the characters and writing
May
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
While the mystery is relatively straightforward, the strength of Priscilla Royal's writing is her ability to draw well developed characters operating within the constraints of their time period. There is no modernization of the values of the Middle Ages, no concession given to their political incorrectness. I enjoyed the mystery very much, as much for its insight into medieval life and its primary concerns--the Crusades, inheritance, and the constraints of life as a religious figure, a woman, an ...more
Susan
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I have read very few books set in Medieval times, so "A Killing Season" was a pleasant deviation for me. Ms. Royal was able to capture the cold desolation of a remote British island to the point where I kept refilling my tea mug in order to ward off the imagined chill. The mystery itself was unusual, another treat. The main characters, devoutly religious Catholics, were portrayed as semi-masochists in their quest for forgiveness. I accept that as an accurate description of the times, although it ...more
Rogue Reader
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
Reading my way through Priscilla Royals medieval mystery series, and will catch up before too much longer. A Killing Season finds Prioress Eleanor, Sister Anne and Brother Thomas at Doux and Dur, a castle that seems cursed with darkness and pain. Too many secrets, too much pain troubles the family, and Eleanor, Anne and Thomas seek truth and light. Lovely research on medieval life and lifestyles from this masterful writer. Thanks Priscilla Royal, and Poisoned Pen Press for publishing the works.

Nidofito
The mystery itself was not too complicated. The beauty of the earlier books of this series was not their complexity but the way the information was presented. Often it was vague and not enough and it was wonderful to see Eleanor and Thomas come together to brainstorm and solve it.

Thomas saved this book as he seemed to be the only one using his wits. Everyone else was either blinded by trust or lust. On a different note, I miss Eleanor's cat!
Kk
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am an avid medieval mystery reader I wanted to like this first book I read by Priscilla Royal. I guessed the murderer and the cause of the strange behavior by Sir Herbert almost at the beginning. References to sinful behavior being the cause of misfortune were constant, repetitive and frankly boring. The characters were not quite likeable. Maybe this is not the norm from this author. Will try another title.
Stephanie
Well, I knew who the murderer was the minute he was introduced, but I still enjoyed listening to this while I did yardwork the other day. I really like the medieval setting- even though it mostly makes me really glad I didn't live back then.
Cara Barkis
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting characters, really get a feel for the time period and bleak setting. It did bog down a bit plot wise in the middle but picked up steam, finished with a dramatic but satisfying ending.
Another good medieval mystery!

From Priscilla Royal! It was a little slower starting than her previous novels, but still a good whodunnit, if more predictable than her others.
Cher Armstrong
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
It was an okay book. I was definitely intrigued by the mystery, but things got a little slow and blah for me at times.
Deb
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
No question here as to the killer or the reason for the murders. Seemed a bit perfunctory.
Joy
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit different & I didn't enjoy it as much as the others.
Susan Jaffe Pober
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it
The mystery itself was on the weak side, but the ambience of her stories is always a treat - if you're into the medieval world.
Susan Corcoran
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I adore the flawed characters of Brother Thomas and Prioress Eleanor and the medical settings of this series of books. They are easy to read but also very well written.
Becky
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall a fairly enjoyable quick read. I feel I was too quickly able to figure out the murderer though.
Anne Tudor
Jul 16, 2013
Elaine Corman
Oct 04, 2016
Joanne Hall
rated it it was ok
May 04, 2014
Ann Yonk
rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2016
Jeanne
Mar 21, 2018
Carl Kelso
Jul 14, 2017
Susan
Aug 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Outlaw's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #3)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the Chapman, #2)
  • The Song of the Nightingale (Hawkenlye Mysteries #14)
  • Templar's Acre (Knights Templar, #32)
  • The Widow of Jerusalem (Fools' Guild, #4)
  • Falconer's Crusade (William Falconer, #1)
  • Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)
  • A Parliament of Spies (Abbess of Meaux, #4)
  • Harald Hardrada: The Last Viking
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)
Priscilla has a degree in world literature from San Francisco State University, where she discovered the beauty of medieval literature. She is a theater fan as well as reader of history, mysteries, and fiction of lesser violence. She lives in Northern California and belongs to the California Writers Club and Sisters in Crime.

Medieval Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4)
  • Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)
  • Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)
  • Satan's Lullaby (Medieval Mystery, #11)