Start by marking “Cat and Mouse in Partnership” as Want to Read:
Cat and Mouse in Partnership

Cat and Mouse in Partnership

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1812)

To ask other readers questions about Cat and Mouse in Partnership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat and Mouse in Partnership

Ahmed  Ejaz
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, short-stories
Verily, that is the way of the world.
Reading this tale really gave me Aesop's Fables vibes. I have read all of his fables and almost loved them. This tale is from famous fairy tale writers, Grimm Brothers. I love their work.
A cat and a mouse become friends. [How?!! Anyway..] They decide to hide a pot of fat for winter when there will be lack of food for them. But the cat becomes greedy and she, without letting know the mouse, eats all the fat by herself.
When the need really arises for them
Miriam
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Oh, THAT story. That fable about how cats and mice can't live together (view spoiler) of which I suppose the moral is "don't be too trusting" because mice aren't big readers so presumably it is not intended as a cautionary tale for actual mice.

I've read this before and never cared for it. I wouldn't have gotten it had I realized, but the illustrations were ok. This was my favorite.

Renata
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“You see, that’s the way of the world.”
❆ Crystal ❆
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars... So true, you shouldn't trust anyone when hunger abounds.
Lör K.
I didn't really like this one.

We start off with a cat and mouse living together in a house, and end with their friendship deteriorating very quickly. There was such a fast change, I didn't quite know how to deal with it, and it finished very abruptly. I would have liked a little more on how they became friends and how they came to live with each other - I know it's a faerie tale, but would a few more pages have made a difference, really?

2 out of 5 stars. Definitely won't be reading this one aga
Vaishali
My goodness.... Never have I experienced a children's tale so foreboding and admonishing as this one. Two great quotes:

"Nothing ever seems as good as what one keeps to herself." - Cat, after licking a pot that's been secretly tucked away.

"Verily, that is the way of the world." - Grimm's Brother's final sentence of the story, as Cat pounces on Mouse.

A short must-read, though a cheerless one :)
Melika Khoshnezhad
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
خيلى خوشحالم كه دارم داستان هاى برادران گريم و مى خونم. و چقدر شگفت زده مى شم از جادوى اين داستان هاى كوتاه سحرآميز. اصلا نمى شه صرفا اين داستان و يه داستان كوتاه بچه گونه دانست. خود خود زندگيه. عالى بود و شگفت زده ام كرد.
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Basically this tale will tell you that enemies aren't meant to live with each other. Or maybe that a cheetah can't change his spots cuz he's still gonna eat you.

A cat and a mouse become friends and decide to live together. In order to make it through the winter months they hide a pot of fat under a church alter cuz no one would take something from a church. As winter approaches the cat tells the mouse 3 times that she is going to be a god-mother and has to leave their place. These 3 times the ca
Cyndi Goodgame
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great shock ending unless you know what to expect.
Karim Elmenshawy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: jacob-grimm, 2018
Verily, that is the way of the world...................
Saeed Nikzad
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
It's really scary and absurd. Don't read it for your younger siblings, or you'll face their open-mouthed, confused face. It would be an awkward choice for a bedtime story.
Sikandar Ali
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Even love cannot change the nature of individuals.
Danielle Murray
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5 - Funny, classic short story with a timeless moral attached.
Hala Alzaghal
To never trust is the answer.
Paige
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this short story of the brothers grimm. Definitely the grimm tales I know and love. which means I like the darker kind of them. the ones that the brothers are well known for.
Fables&Wren
May 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

I have the complete set of the Grimm Fairy-Tales, and there are so many that I haven’t read! They are very short, as one would know, so I have decided to read each one and give them a review. Some are very vulgar, some are very cute and some don’t even make sense. Some of them are well known fairy-tales and some have never been told. Some are fairy-tales we know but are not the same because they have been downplayed for the children.

This story probably shouldn't be told to you
Gabrielle Patterson
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
love the Grimms brothers fairytales. a joy to read.
Dione Basseri
So, this was recognized as a great picture book originally published in a non-English language, which is such a specific thing that there was, of course, a fairly small sample set during the time it was printed. As such, this book is not...very...good. At all. It makes me think of books published on Smashwords for free, really. The artwork isn't very sophisticated or consistent, and the text feels directly taken from a Grimm's fairy tale.

You're unlikely to find this book in a story but, if you d
Kristy
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 1976 Batchelder may no longer fit the rules for the award (it's a folktale) but it is classic wonderful Grimm. Cat makes a deal with Mouse that he will provide the little one with food if Mouse will clean the house. Together they store a vat of butter in a church with the intention of eating it when the winter gets hard. Sure enough, the sly cat downs it all in three sneaky pre-winter visits to the church. When Mouse confronts Cat about the missing butter and Cat's alibis, he learns about C ...more
Jinx:The:Poet {the Literary Masochist, Ink Ninja & Word Roamer}
THE CAT AND MOUSE IN PARTNERSHIP: A Cat and Mouse decide to become room mates and help each other out. They keep a pot of fat for the future. Eventually the friendship is ruined. This one does not end happily. Personally I was not a fan. MORAL: Do not lie. Lies will be found out eventually. Do not trust anyone. The way of the world is harsh. [RATING: 1.5 STARS]
Cathie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A clear-cut case of "anti-cat" propaganda.... ;-) This is not book but the second fairy tale in the Grimm collection. It reads like a fable, but one without a "lesson", except maybe that the world is a treacherous place. The language is charming, the word "Gevatter" is used for godfather and "Base" for niece. It's humorous, because of the names the cat gives his supposed grandchildren.
Amanda Butler
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite stories to tell to kids I babysit! They love it! What kid hasn't wished that he/she could switch chores with someone? This is a perfect example of what "could" happen if you don't know what you're getting into. :)
Fer Urquiza
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such an important lesson and kind of traumatizing
Michael Sorbello
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Blind faith is dangerous. Some people are deserving of our trust while others only wish to gain our trust to manipulate us for their own gain. One can never be too careful.
Staci
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
A classic Grimm's fairy tale that teaches children a story, if in a non-happy-ending sort of way.
Aura
Apr 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not a story I might want to share with my daughter!
Janis Lai
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
dark.....
shrike
rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2015
Mattie
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2014
  • Der kleine Mann
  • Samir and Yonatan
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • The Remarkable Rocket
  • The Disintegration Machine (Professor Challenger, #5)
  • Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale
  • Princess Pigsty
  • Pelle's New Suit
  • A Hand Full of Stars
  • Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy
  • Snow White and Rose Red
  • La ciudad
  • Røde Orm: Hjemme og i Østerled
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)