Start by marking “Warriors of God: Inside Hezbollah's Thirty-Year Struggle Against Israel” as Want to Read:
Warriors of God: Inside Hezbollah's Thirty-Year Struggle Against Israel

Warriors of God: Inside Hezbollah's Thirty-Year Struggle Against Israel

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Hezbollah is the most powerful Islamist group operating in the Middle East today, and no other Western journalist has penetrated as deeply inside this secretive organization as Nicholas Blanford. Now Blanford has written the first comprehensive inside account of Hezbollah and its enduring struggle against Israel. Based on more than a decade and a half of reporting in Leban ...more
Published October 25th 2011 by Random House (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Warriors of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warriors of God

Hassan
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In my opinion, this book deserves more than five stars and I will definitely read it again. It is a highly recommended book for anyone interested in an unbiased story of Hezbollah resistance against Israel. Thanks for the writer for this well written book. I had many sleepless nights in reading the details of the 30 years struggle from victories in south Lebanon to the sad massacre of Qana and the victory of the year 2006 war. Salute to Hezbollah heroes
Aboud Hamayel
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
يحاكي صعود حزب الله كجيش غير نظامي قادر على مقارعة اسرائيل و هزميتها. من التدريب الايدولوجي الي العملي الى منظومة اجتماعية/اقتصادية كاملة الكتاب يوضح تكامل حزب الله ليش فقط كمنظومة عسكرية و لكن كذلك كمجتمع مقاوم و محصن
Rachel Sharf
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Scary beyond belief. Hezbollah became so powerful and sophisticated and all they want besides domineering Lebanon's politics is to destroy the state of Israel.
Nicholas Blanford writes a very detailed and apparently well researched book and this makes it scarier.
Ljm
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites and too damn proud to be a Lebanese . Labayka ya Nasrallah
Letitia
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
THE MOST DANGEROUS VACATION OF MY LIFE

A couple months before I was slated to visit a childhood friend in Beirut, I got in the weekly habit of Googling “Lebanon news”. The results were petrifying: Bomb kills an ex-politician and five others in downtown Beirut. Twin suicide bombings target the Iranian Cultural Centre. Car bombing killed eight in 2012 and rattled the Singapore consulate building 1 kilometre away, where my friend was at the time. I needed Warriors of God to help me with two goals:

Phillip
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I took an opportunity to do some reading up on Hezbollah which has been featured in a series of headlines over the last year. One comprehensive source on the terror group’s regional operations is the book “Warriors or God: Inside Hezbollah’s Thirty-Year Struggle Against Israel” by Nicholas Blanchard. Some of my comments below have been supplemented by other reading, but Blanchard’s book was interesting enough to warrant individual comment. Without “going native” or taking sides, Blanchard wrote ...more
Jacob Aitken
Initial thoughts before a summary of the book:
*The writing, as one reviewer noted, is “pacy.” In many places it reads like a novel. The author’s 1st-person narrative adds flavor.
*It is slanted towards Hezbollah, though not uncritically.

Key argument: “Syria is the vital geo-strategic lynchpin connecting Iran to Hezbollah. It grants Hezbollah strategic depth and political backing, and serves as a conduit for the transfer of heavy weapons across the rugged border with Lebanon” (Blanford xvi).

Unlike
Fatima Hojeij
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok first not everything in this book was entirely accurate. And some facts were half the truth. Most importantly in the last few chapters of the book when Blanfords tries to show that Hezbollah has been weakened and lost some support. Which is completely wrong in my opinion Hezbollah is stronger than ever now and is getting stronger everyday. Always looking to improve themselves and ready themselves for the next war ( It saddens me to say it but the next war is surely inevitable). Also Hezbollah ...more
زنبيان
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أفضل كتاب عن تاريخ و تطور منظومة المقاومة
Sean
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A sympathetic-but-not-too-sympathetic look at the world's premier militarized NGO, or army-cum-social-services-provider if you prefer. I've got a tremendous deal more respect for Hezbollah than I did before reading this book, and a good deal more understanding of their aims and methods. I'm also even happier that I don't live anywhere near the Middle East.

My only gripe: Blanford should've spent more time discussing Hezbollah's weaknesses and internal tensions. Hezbollah owes much to the Shia of
Mary
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-middle-east
An excellent and well-written account of Hezbollah and its role in Lebanon. Blanford is an English journalist who has been in Lebanon for over 2 decades and he has a truly impressive list of people he has met and he tells their stories in a way that makes a reader have a better understand of the situation in Lebanon and its uneasy relationship with its neighbor, Israel. I would certainly suggest this book for anyone who wants to know more about the region and the nature of the resistance that go ...more
Ronn
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this to be informative especially in the political, social, and economical relationships between Hezbollah, PLO, Iran, Syria, Israel and of course Lebanon. I didn't realize the extent of the Hezbollah organization. Hezbollah does not seem to be a group of ragtag wild eyed terrorist running around try to create bloody mayhem for no purpose, if so they would be less scary then they are.

I'm becoming much more of a skeptic when it comes to using military options to combat terrorism especiall
Aaron Bivins
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up to learn more about Israel's conflict with Lebanon given the current situation between Israel and Hamas. It is a great read with paragraphs of facts interwoven with short narratives. It was very enlightening and I feel like I have a much better idea about what is going on in that part of the world.
Tyler Bigney
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Extremely well written & researched, the book goes into exhausting detail of all things Hezbollah, from their inception to the present day (2011). If you don't have an interest in Hezbollah or Middle Eastern affairs, I think you'll find the book daunting. For those that do, it's a great book from start to finish that doesn't skimp on the details.
Raffi
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
He has revealed a lot of information and has tried not to be biased regarding the struggle between Israel and Hezbollah. He has gone deeper in understanding the motives of Hezbollah and how it has evolved throughout the thirty years.
Curt Carroll
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent review of Hezbollah's history and the strategic problem Israel faces. Great quote: "The real flaw, however, is that the anti rocket systems are a tactical solution to a strategic problem"
Michael Taouk
Blanford knows the people and the places. The book is well researched and well written with great insights. I enjoyed reading it and got a much better understanding of what is happening on the Lebanon-Israel boarder and well beyond.
Bill
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Amazing history of the Hezbollah. Their approach is so completely different than any other non-state organization. I highly recommend this as it will continue to be the forefront of Middle East news.
Teoh
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written shortly before #ISIL's rise, this is a recommended reading for those interested in the volatile Middle East.
Mazen Fakih
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: intel-espionage
Very objective in its description of the group's history and MO.
Ilango
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nicholas has a deep understanding of Hezbollah, having lived in Beirut for almost two decades. His book helps shed light into this militarized group.
Youssef Shalaby
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blanford went to great lengths to get his content, and it shows. The book is amazingly descriptive and the storytelling is just wonderful. It goes into every little detail and places every piece together regarding how Hezbollah came to be, how strong they are today, and their place in Lebanese, Middle Eastern, and even global politics. The book doesn't only detail the origins of the guerrilla group, but also the origins of the most prominent figures and leaders of the organization, all the way f ...more
Þorvarður Pálsson
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good overview of the history of Hezbollah until 2011 written by a journalist with years of experience in Lebanon. Recommended for those looking to read up on the most powerful non-state actor in world.
Christel Ghandour
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written. Finally unbiased story of how Hezbollah evolved. However it would have been more interesting if their structure was better detailed.
Max Balestra
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
You cannot come out of a reading of this book without a renewed respect for Hezbollah. In a little over three decades, the "Party of God" went from a ragtag militia to a powerful political and military organization that not only practically controls Lebanon, but extends its power and influence all over the world. Hezbollah militants are not to be underestimated. From Blanford's description, they remind me very much of the Waffen SS: carefully selected, thoroughly indoctrinated, and rigidly train ...more
Brigham
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
The author lived among the Lebanese people for one-third of his life as a journalist for the English news publication in Lebanon. While there, his insider allowances and relationships with Hezbollah's foundational members, prove insurmountable hermeneutic research into this book's subject matter. He mixes first-hand accounts with dogged research and personal interviews for his information. While this provides incredible insight from one perspective, it sits a bit lacking in Israeli perspective a ...more
Chuck
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
"Warriors of God" by Nicholas Blandford is a presentation of Hezbollah's narrative on itself. A presentation very similar to one that would be provided by a representing defense attorney, omitting information and avoiding embarrassing questions. It is, however, a literate and well written presentation.

For those interested in learning about Hezbollah's official public image and narrative, this is definitely the book. It will also appeal to those gathering secondary sources on Hezbollah. However,
K C
May 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Written by a journalist based on his twenty odd years of English language journalistic experience in Lebanon, the book provides insights into Hizbollah, its philosophy, strategy and tactics. Fairly objective, he interviewed both Hizbollah fighters as well as Israeli military personnel with a smattering use of secondary sources. As an Israeli, but not an arms expert myself, the description of the post-2006 arms build-up makes me wonder how I sleep at nights.
Sami Diab
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you want to know about the story of Hezbollah and learn about facts from the ground that the author as a reporter has collected along his over fifteen years of investigations through out Lebanon. This book is the right one. It has been written with enthusiasm that you rarely feel the need to slide up uninteresting pages. I can personally say he is objective and has a sympathy over the lebanese who struggled towards this conflict.
Alkoot
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
تعجبني هذي النوعية من الكتب تحكي قصة تجربة الكاتب مدعمة بوثائق عالمية عن نشأة حزب الله في جنوب لبنان ، هذي النوعية من الكتب تزيد القارئ ثقافة حقيقية صادقة مفيدة وتحكي تجارب جيدة ثمينة ظحى لها الكثير من الشباب المسلم.
أنصح كل مهتم لهذه النوعية من التجارب قراءة هذا الكتاب فعلى الرغم حجمه الكبير وعدد صفحاته إلا أنه خالي من الحشو
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • One Country: A Bold Proposal to End the Israeli-Palestinian Impasse
  • Marked for Death: Islam's War Against the West and Me
  • When Baghdad Ruled the Muslim World: The Rise and Fall of Islam's Greatest Dynasty
  • Inside the Jihad: My Life with Al Qaeda
  • Once Upon a Country: A Palestinian Life
  • The Oil Kings: How the U.S., Iran, and Saudi Arabia Changed the Balance of Power in the Middle East
  • Muqtada: Muqtada al-Sadr, the Shia Revival, and the Struggle for Iraq
  • Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan
  • The Last Refuge: Yemen, al-Qaeda, and America's War in Arabia
  • The Wahhabi Mission and Saudi Arabia
  • The Society of the Muslim Brothers
  • Beware of Small States: Lebanon, Battleground of the Middle East
  • Baghdad at Sunrise: A Brigade Commander's War in Iraq
  • The Clash of Fundamentalisms: Crusades, Jihads and Modernity
  • Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States
  • Condi: The Condoleezza Rice Story