Start by marking “The Emotional Calendar: Understanding Seasonal Influences and Milestones to Become Happier, More Fulfilled, and in Control of Your Life” as Want to Read:

2.72  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In The Emotional Calendar, Sharp reveals how environmental, psychological, and cultural forces profoundly affect the way we feel, and how the enduring effects of personal anniversaries can influence our moods and behavior year after year. Sharp also illustrates a wide range of individual responses to cultural phenomena: some people feel anxious at the start of a new school ...more
Published December 20th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Emotional Calendar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emotional Calendar

Magdelanye
According to John R Sharpour emotional calender is overlaid over the one we hang on the wall.After reading his genial, briskly written,thoughtful book, I agree that this idea is not simply a no brainer,but a crucial and oft overlooked aspect of our mental health.

"To understand your emotional calender you probably have to start thinking differently about your life," he begins with a challenge.He is an American psychiatrist after all. What gives his words weight are the findings of the multi-disci
Kim
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book arrived in my house and I thought I was being made fun of a little, but I read it and it was remarkably comforting. As a person who grew up in one very extreme climate (one which always felt right to me) and who now lives in a completely different, also rather extreme climate, I often feel off-kilter in weather-related ways when those around me do not.

I am regularly mocked for this off-kilterness both in person and on social media. There is some expectation, apparently, that if you li
Maria (Ri)
This was disappointing. The author seems interested in repeating himself with dull and pretty basic information rather than adding real value and insight into the world. There also didn't seem to be any resolution for his patients. They are able to identify that a certain time of year is painful, yet he reminds them that it will be painful every year. How about working on resolving it, rather than learning to cope through it? I listened to the audio version as I painted my closet today. I would ...more
Cara
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I don't know exactly what I was looking for in this book, but I know I wanted something a little deeper than "some people get depressed in the winter because it's dark, some people get depressed on their birthday because they're getting older, some people get depressed on Valentine's day because they're lonely". I'm not a Harvard MD like the author, so I don't know if there's a medical term for DUH.
Claudia Aroni
Disclaimer - I was the child who dreamed of becoming a Vulcan; hence, I have spent countless hours trying to understand the whats, hows and whys of my emotions. With that in mind, I found this book good but not great. It touches on the empowerment that comes from knowing what triggers your emotions, especially the weather changes and personal hot spots; however, the ending seemed rush.
Tatiana Gomez
A warm and simple book about how understanding the seasons--of the year and of your life--can aid you in achieving psychological wellness.

I picked up this book to see if Western science has caught up with Ayurveda. It hasn't. But I did find interesting points of convergence in some of the preliminary research Sharp referenced.

Although I was expecting this to be more of an information-heavy book, and it turned out to be more of a self-help-y book, it was written in such a warm, caring, and genui
Chris
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: NPR-On Point
This was such a disappointment. After hearing Dr. Sharp on NPR's "On Point" radio show, I got a deal on a brand new copy. Oy, I should have waited for the reviews. We all have "emotional hotspots" when it comes to a time in the year that is tender for you. For me, luckily, most are happy, my birthday coincides with the first bloom after winter, and Thanksgiving and Christmas are always happy times in my past and present and don't have any ill will toward them. On the other hand, I approach every ...more
Colin Bendell
Sharp's thesis is that our mood and behavior are substantially affected by our own personal emotional calendar. Our emotional calendar is culmination of events, biology, nature (sun, season, time), festivals, and other experiences with friends and family. Understanding our own personal patterns will help us better deal with those influences on our emotional health, mood and behavior.

Sharp builds his argument using numerous case studies and examples. While interesting, the content quickly becomes
Denise
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. He talks about considering the month-to-month calendar, the seasonal calendar (of where-ever you live), and your own emotional calendar, especially paying attention to when your own "hotspots" (like Xmas for me!@#) overlap with other "rough weather/stressful events" to really agitate you.

I would agree with this reviewer's comments though:

"Unfortunately, he only quickly addresses the 'so what can I do about it' subject with a few ambiguous responses ('it depends! it's different for
Karin
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Saw this on a blog and had to get it. It's been loaded into the kindle app and I've read the first few pages.

Eta: I've now finished, and I'm still not sure of my reaction. On the one hand, it's nice to see all of the reasons for having a crappy winter all recognized by a psychiatrist, however, I thought he said the same thing in other words too many times.

This could have been an amazing book. As it is now, it's merely a good book. Annotated and indexed, but without a lot of solid meat. Aah well.
Diane
Feb 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I liked how he used case studies to show our emotional "hotspots." It wasn't until the last few chapter that he actually had suggestions to make it better. Most of his examples were on some kind of medication for depression, bi-polar or SAD. The best point he made for me is to acknowledge your "bad spell" is approaching and try to find something happy to even out your mood/depression.
Nikki
Mar 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book might be more interesting than it was. I hope Mr. Sharp is a better therapist than he is a writer. I got as far as the woman who gets depressed in summer because it's hot and humid. There was also a young woman who got sad at Christmas because it reminded her of a bad breakup. Not only were the case histories dull, but Sharp never made it clear how he was helping these folks. Perhaps this came later in the book, but life is too short for me to wait around to find out.
Sue Hedin
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A discussion of the emotional, seasonal, and cultural milestones that impact our health and moods with guidance on how to break stifling patterns to achieve balance throughout the year. Much of the information is in the mainstream, but there were several insightful observations and useful tips. The book serves as a reminder to be attentive to the connection between moods, seasons, and our personal history.
Katie
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-11
I enjoyed this book. It was an easy read and was not perhaps full of new ideas, but the ideas were presented in a good way. I did find the task of looking through each month and how I feel about each month to be very useful. I did discover why certain months are very stressful for me, while other months I bask in its days. I think it was a fun read and would recommend it if someone has a particular time of year that they dread. This book might provide some insight.
Traci
Oct 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fix-me, library
In the interest of full disclosure, let me say that I quit reading this book about half way through. From what I did manage to read, I learned two things: 1. Examining your own seasonal emotional triggers can help create a smoother transition into the seasons that are difficult for you (duh). 2. Reading this book, however, will not help you at all.
Meredith
Aug 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I have ever not finished a book, but this was one was just too painful and boring to finish. While the idea that our moods can be affected by the seasons seemed like an interesting read it just was not.
Correen

The title explains it well. Most of the information was not new but he did a credible job of presenting his ideas and how he has treated persons with seasonal problems.
Barb
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book would be more interesting than it was...I was disappointed.
Denise
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found this at work. Loved the first 2 chapters then fell asleep reading it on the subway. Left it on my seat and happily watched it whoosh away!
Linda
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
accessible insights into the effects of nature - seasons, sun, darkness, time - and man made cycles - holidays, birthdays - on our mental well being
Deborah
As usual for me, I enjoyed the case studies that were shared. I did not learn much new information.
Bobbi Taniguchi
Yeah, I agree, now tell me more than 4 things I can do to make things better!
Elise
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good idea book, buuut not very helpful to me...
Anne
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful
Donna
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting, but not as helpful as I thought it would be. I thought I might get some tips on how to manage through the winters I despise so. :-)
Emily
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating! An insightful look at how to recognize your own emotional triggers whether they are tripped by weather patterns, a cultural calendar, or by your own experiences.
Becky Combs
Good to read - maybe I can avoid my usual winter blahs this January, February, and March!
Berlyn
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat basic principally but some good scientific tidbits
Recommended for anyone who has undergone any sort of trauma in their life or has PTSD
Amanda Giffi