Start by marking “To Have and To Kill: Nurse Melanie McGuire, an Illicit Affair, and the Gruesome Murder of Her Husband” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews

Published December 2nd 2008 by St. Martin's True Crime

To ask other readers questions about To Have and To Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Have and To Kill

Stephanie
true crime...the suitcase murder...this is one cold bitch...I am guessing the stepfather was the accomplice...weird ghat I looked her up and can't quite see the amazingly gorgeous woman the author described..sigh eye of the beholder snx all that
Julie
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not think that the entire story hasn't come out yet. There was no way that Melanie was physically able to carried it out by herself.
Lisa Edgett thomas
This was a childhood friend (Bill). Very sad as he was a good person and he nor his family deserved to go through this!
Brandon
What an evil person this Jersey girl is. An enthralling true crime read.
Rita
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True crime story which held special interest for me since I had met two of the characters and who directly/indirectly affected my life. These being Brad Miller and Richard Scott of RMA who took over our division at WBH in Oct. 2006. We all passed it around the office to read with much discussion and disgust.
Kelly
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
This was a very good book. The author does a very thorough job going through the background of this couple without being too boringly detailed. He covers the trial, and does a good job keeping the reader interested.

This is an interesting story. John Glatt is a good author.
Kelly Ann
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I like Glatt's style of writing.
RNOCEAN
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"One by one, three waterlogged suitcases were pulled from the Chesapeake Bay. In each were body parts of a man. In a forensics room, the truth was discovered: William McGuire had been horribly murdered and dismembered.

William and his loving wife, a registered nurse named Melanie, had just closed on their New Jersey dream home. Little did William know about the nightmare that was in store… For Melanie had been involved in a long-term affair with a married doctor at the fertility clinic where she
Judi
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime, own
♥ Marlene♥
Tari
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was well written and all sides of this case were well represented. Such a sad, sad event. It amazes me how human beings can be so cruel to one another. This is one person who deserves to remain bars for life.
Jade Elzien
I can't fathom when people believe they have committed the perfect crime. I was so relieved that the jury found her guilty with only circumstantial evidence. I definitely believe that her step-father was her partner in crime: he was a creep from the beginning.
Joan Lloyd
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wedding Cake mysteries, vol one. Fun, light with a satisfying ending to the murder mystery. Actually I read vol 2 first - didn't spoil a thing.
Amy
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nurse Melanie McGuire was one twisted psychotic bitch. She deserves to be where she ended up: prison.
Jane Morris
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Couldn''t put down. E-book (amazon Kindle) had no pictures. I would have liked to see pictures. Will google and find out more. I think she would have needed accomplice.
Roger
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating true crime. Evil woman no soul.
Jeannie
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Loved this book, riveting and never boring, it held my attention all the way through to the end.
Donna Hunt
Horrible crime done to a man (whether a bad guy or not). With reading the story and looking at the pictures I'm convinced the police were correct in their thinking of the wife killing her husband.
Dianebigos
I started reading this book because Melanie McGuire was a local. It was a interesting book and I found out things about this case that was not made public before and during the trial.
Kristen Doherty
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book..I still have many doubts that Melanie McGuire did this crime alone. I think someone helped her with carrying the body and dismembering it.
Helen
Dr. Miller as accomplice 1 2 Dec 10, 2013 10:14AM
  • Open Secrets - A True Story Of Love, Jealousy And Murder
  • Wasted
  • Death Trap
  • The Dating Game Killer: The True Story of a TV Dating Show, a Violent Sociopath, and a Series of Brutal Murders
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • The 4 O'Clock Murders: The True Story of a Mormon Family's Vengeance
  • Almost Paradise: The East Hampton Murder of Ted Ammon
  • Buried Memories
  • Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder
  • Cruel Deception
  • Lethal Intent
  • Dismembered
  • The Sleep of Reason: James Bulger Case
  • A Love To Die For
  • Bloodsworth: The True Story of the First Death Row Inmate Exonerated by DNA
English-born John Glatt is the author of Lost and Found, Secrets in the Cellar, Playing with Fire, and many other bestselling books of true crime. He has more than 30 years of experience as an investigative journalist in England and America. Glatt left school at 16 and worked a variety of jobs—including tea boy and messenger—before joining a small weekly newspaper. He freelanced at several English ...more
More about John Glatt...

• Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Funny In Farsi: A Memoir Of Growing Up Iranian In America
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Etched in Sand: A True Story of Five Siblings Who Survived an Unspeakable Childhood on Long Island
  • At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe