Start by marking “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” as Want to Read:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  278,583 Ratings  ·  2,523 Reviews
"The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason."

Dr. Seuss's small-hearted Grinch ranks right up there with Scrooge when it comes to the crankiest, scowling holiday grumps of all time. For 53 years, the Grinch has lived in a cave on the side of a mountain, looming above the Whos in Whoville. The noisy holiday
Published October 4th 2004 by Harper Collins Children's Books (first published October 12th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
AMY GREGORY
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Renarda Dixon
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
52,616 books — 184,199 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
The BOOK was BETTER than the MOVIE
1,489 books — 18,360 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite Dr. Seuss' story!

HOW THE GRINCH STOLE OUR HEARTS AND SOULS

It could be his head wasn’t screwed on just right.

It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight,

But I think that the most likely reason of all

May have been that his heart was too sizes too small,

Okay, people, this is it!

This is my favorite tale by Dr. Seuss, and I am quite certain that it must be the most popular and known of his works.

We are in Who-ville again and The Grinch is up to no good with
Michael Finocchiaro
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I probably watched this show about a million times and read the book as a kid at least as many and it was immensely pleasurable to share it with my kids. A wonderful story about the real spirit of giving and love. It might be my very favorite xmas story of all. An absolute must.
James
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book Review
4+ stars to How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, a children's picture book, written in 1957 by Dr. Seuss. I adored this favorite as a child, and I still watch the cartoon ever year at Christmas. I've also seen the Jim Carrey movie and will watch that one, too. It's such a wonderful take of love and revenge...

Most folks who celebrate Christmas must have read or seen some version of this story at some point in their lives. If not, it's basically a grinch that wants to stop Christmas bec
Archit Ojha
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Come on Grinch,

Don't be a spoilsport.

I and my wife are surely reading to our little Who's when they are born.

The undercurrent of the story presents to you a question as to not "How" but rather "Why" did the the Grinch stole the Christmas from the merry making Who people.

Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot

But the Grinch who lived just North of Whoville did not!

The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!

Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.

It could be,
Anne
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
So lovely and positively brilliant. Just inspiring!

My first book by Dr. Seuss, everyone!

And now onto the movie!! Gosh I love Christmas. ❤❤
Calista
The perfect book. My nephew wanted to read this tonight. It's his favorite Christmas book. You can't beat it. The art is so creative and distinctive. The movies just use his art right out of the book.

I'm glad this is still as popular as ever. It has a wonderful message also.
Vicki
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, christmas
Of course it is a five star rating. How could it be less. I can pretty much say it by heart when I read it at Christmas time. It is always brought out, just like the Night Before Christmas.
Those reading always takes center stage in our Christmas traditions. Once we read the book, we watch the original cartoon. sometimes we even watch the movie The Grinch to top off the perfectly Grinchy evening.
Sam Quixote
“All the windows were dark
No one knew he was here
All the Who's were all dreaming
Sweet dreams without care…”

I’ve always been aware of The Grinch for as long as I can remember but I’ve never actually read Dr Seuss’s classic, How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Well, what better time to rectify that than in December, eh? I’m glad I now finally have but I found it a bit underwhelming.

You probably know the story already but for those who don’t: a grumpy monster called The Grinch decides to steal all the
Tamara
Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot

But the Grinch who lived just North of Whoville did not!

The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!

Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.

It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.

It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.

But I think that the most likely reason of all

May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.
Come on, you know the story.

In Whoville, live the Whos, an almost mutated sort of
[Shai] The Bibliophage

Seventeen years ago, I've watched the movie adaptation of this classic children's story book. Both the movie and the book version are remarkable and excellent. I love how it shows that even those who have the heart of ice still have that soft side in them.
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2017, childrens, ebook
This was my first time ever reading this and I thought it was very good :)
madamereadsalot
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't only read this to fill up my reading challenge. Nope. Not at all.

But no seriously: The Grinch is one of my favourite Christmas movies. A secret you probably never knew: I'm the inspiration for the Grinch.

Ok, just kidding, BUT: I love the illustrations & though I like the movie a bit more, it was still a cute little read, bringing closer the true meaning of christmas, for me, coming together as a family, being grateful for what we have & giving something back to others, no matter
Yulia
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever someone asks me if I celebrate Christmas and I'm about to be catty and say that I don't because I'm not a Christian, I wish an alert would sound in my ear and warn me not to be like Grinch. "Don't steal Christmas, Yulia. Don't do it!"
midnightfaerie
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
How can anyone not love Dr. Seuss or the Grinch? I grew up on the Christmas animated cartoon that always showed on T.V. and the book was just an added bonus to a wonderful story. I can still sing that song. A wonderful story and a great book to pass down through generations and a great way to start a family tradition of reading a story at Christmas time. Who says it always has to be the Night Before Christmas?
Gio
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Image result for grinch book quote

WoW! I Am Not A Christmas Person

Maybe Not Quite A Grinch

Christmas To Me Is What Newman From Seinfeld Is To Jerry LOL

Image result for newman seinfeld christmas

We Never Figure Out Why He Hates Newman

This Book Has Always Made Me Smile And Will Melt Anyone's Grinch Heart

The Movie!! My One And Only Christmas Tradition

Image result for grinch solve world hunger quotes

Eirini Proikaki
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Εντάξει είπα να διαβάσω κάτι παιδικό χριστουγεννιάτικο να μου περάσει η γκρίνια και η ακεφιά και ερωτεύτηκα! Πόσο όμορφη,γλυκιά ιστορία!Σε βάζει αμέσως στο εορταστικό κλίμα και νιώθεις σαν να βρίσκεσαι μπροστά στο στολισμένο τζάκι ένα κρύο βράδυ και κάποιος σου διαβάζει αυτό το υπέροχο παραμύθι.
Ο Γκριντς είναι στριφνός και μοναχικός και ενοχλείται που οι άλλοι χαίρονται τα Χριστούγεννα αγαπημένοι και χαρούμενοι.Έτσι αποφασίζει να σταματήσει τη γιορτή κλέβοντας τα στολίδια,τα δώρα,τα φωτάκια,το φ
Christina
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
" Then he got an idea. An awful idea. The grinch got a wonderful, awful idea. "

Not my first time reading it by any means, but just read it with my kids for a bedtime story. I forgot how the grinch is kinda my favorite Christmas related character :)
Marquise
I've just now read this classic, a long way out of Christmas season, and discovered it was a lot more amusing than the film and the cartoon adaptations, which were until today my only sources of knowledge about the plot. It's much simpler than both, more focused on children, and devoid of the superfluous romantic elements the Jim Carrey film had. Definitely better! And with a clearer message.
Mayke ☕️
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book! The illustrations are really fun and I enjoyed the rhyme of the story. Overall a fun book. Reading this for the first time as an adult probably made it 4 instead of 5 stars. Still a very nice little Christmas read.
Kelli
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot begin to guess how many times I have seen the 1966 animated television special to date, but when I was little, it was a once a year celebration. Something completely lost to this generation is the glory of anticipation...looking in the TV Guide to see when your holiday favorites would be on and then waiting seemingly FOREVER for the day to come, then asking your mom 10,000 times how much more time until 8 PM. This was gold, and after waiting all that time, you were all in. ALL IN!

The t
Olivia "Don't Blame Me I Voted for Hillary"
It was excellent. And I enjoyed the cartoon that showed on TV that was made from that book.
Rebekah
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s that time of year and I can’t believe I never read this book till now! What?
Mike (the Paladin)
A wonderful children's book. The Grinch not being the kind of person you'd really want to spend time with when the story opens, learns that here is much more to Christmas, than just packages, bows, and ribbons, not to mention feasts and roast beasts.

And the world would have been an infinitely better place had Ron Howard never gotten his hands on this story.

Really.
Ronyell
Grinch

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas” is Dr. Seuss’ memorable classic about how the Grinch tried to steal all the presents from the Whos of Who-ville to spoil their Christmas. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” is definitely the best out of all of Dr. Seuss’ books that many children will enjoy for many generations.

Dr. Seuss’ tale of finding the true meaning of the Christmas spirit has been memorable in many generations’ eyes and the writing is excellent as it is written in a creative way by using a rhy
Fables&Wren
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

So I don't really need to talk about how great this book is. That would be like me telling you how great any other great classic kid's story is.

So what to say? I think this is a great story to realize you're a Grinch.

It doesn't even have to be Christmas. Put in any other holiday.
Valentine's Day: are you a "Single Awareness Day" person?
Thanksgiving: are you a "Brown Thursday" person?
Halloween: are you a "This is the Devil's Holiday" person?

You get what I am getting at. Find yo
Rebecca
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was great until the grinch got brainwashed
Davyne DeSye
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What can I say... I love this book!

I don't feel I need to say much about the iconic Dr Seuss and his famous rhymes, but I love them, every time. (Uh oh... I'm almost rhyming.)

Thing I love most about this book is the message that Christmas doesn't come from a store, that it is something much more basic, important and beautiful. The other thing I love about the book is that there is still room left for enjoying presents and trees and decorations and singing.

I've made this book part of two "Christm
Kristina
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more <3
Fernando González y Lozano
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dramatic, Mavellously Funny, and Full of Humans Lessons.
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • Mud Puddle
  • Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia #1)
  • Santa Calls

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!” 3083 likes
“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”
1434 likes