Start by marking “Volunteers: How to Get Them, How to Keep Them” as Want to Read:
Volunteers: How to Get Them, How to Keep Them

Volunteers: How to Get Them, How to Keep Them

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
An essential guide for volunteer leaders and staff of professional, trade and charitable organizations. Outlines 12 basic needs of volunteers in membership associations and clearly explains how to meet those needs. Rich with examples and useful tools, this book is a quick read that you will reference again and again.
Published January 1st 1999 by Panacea Press

To ask other readers questions about Volunteers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Volunteers

Anne
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very useful book with excellent suggestions for recruiting volunteers, keeping them happy and willing to come back. I think it's important for anyone who works with volunteers to read this.

The author states the master copies of the forms used in the book are at the publisher's website (panaceapress.com). Unfortunately, the URL is outdated. The correct URL is panacea-press.com. And yes indeed the master copies of the forms are there. These could be very useful.

MD
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a slim book, and a quick read. The author seems to be a bit of a micromanager - tracking forms, phone calls outside of meetings, etc. may be a great idea in some situations, but would not go over well for us.

Some information I found very helpful was making sure everyone concerned is aware of and respects a set time commitment, asking a specific person to do a specific task (when possible) instead of putting out a blanket call that may infer anyone could do the task equally well, letting
Rachel
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked it. ⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Jill
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: volunteer-mgmt
Excellent book for both the volunteer and volunteer manager. Useful book to share with board members too. I used this book for a graduate level course on volunteer management. The case studies are helpful and I used them as a in-class group exercise. I also like the fact that you can download the worksheets that are talked about in the book.
Jessica Zu
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
A useful little book for volunteer organizers like me. Leadership is not easy when your colleagues are all volunteers including yourself.
Mayra
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource of facts and tips and so well written I will carry it around as a bible.
Kat C
Owen
Sep 09, 2013
Heather Allen
May 21, 2017 added it
Recommends it for: Non-profit managers, coordinators
This is a quick, easy read full of great reminders for non-profit leaders and volunteer coordinators. With a non-profit start-up, having these resources available will really help me create my volunteer program, recruit the right volunteers, and help to keep them around. As I also work to create a volunteer program for employees in my full-time for-profit job, I think these can be great reminders to share with staff so that they do their homework to ensure that they are choosing organizations th ...more
Shane