Start by marking “Bombay Duck Is A Fish” as Want to Read:
Bombay Duck Is A Fish

Bombay Duck Is A Fish

2.93  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
When Neki Brar moves to Mumbai to make it as a film-maker in Bollywood, little does she suspect that she will find herself standing on the terrace of her building, a bottle of wine and her diary in hand, plotting how best to jump. A small town girl, Neki has one ambition: to live in Mumbai and make it big as a film-maker. As she comes closer to her dream, she is also faced ...more
Published June 30th 2011 by Westland Books

To ask other readers questions about Bombay Duck Is A Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bombay Duck Is A Fish

Meera Senthil
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
The first thing..I didn't know Bombay duck was a fish either! This is one good thing I learnt because I've heard and read many a celeb from Mumbai claiming it to be their favorite food and I'd been thinking all this while that it was really a duck. I didn't realize it until I actually came to the part where Neki realizes it..I just thought it was a funny title that's all!

The book is not bad at all. It could have been great if not for that bad ending or that was how it was for me. Supposedly bein
Tanuj Sharma
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fab book. Pacy writing and very funny. Passed it on to my friends. Will tickle your funny bones and the satire works very well in the plot. Underbelly of bollywood tickled and explored but read it for the roller coaster ride. Not easy to put down. Wondering why the cover is the way it is though, and the end....debatable, surprising. Grab a copy, waiting for her next.
Mukesh
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
it started quite well - but that's about it.
too many problems
- weak story structure
- too many characters, to remember
- flawed connection between chapters
- weak ending

more book reviews at http://mukeshrijhwani.wordpress.com
Gurnoor
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
my sister's first book and can't be more proud.
Pooja T
Aug 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Totally and utterly horrid, badly written and the book is slow and cliched and so terrible I am out of words to fully explain it. A waste of paper and time and money!
Ancie Wilfred
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, I'm not fond of endings that r not happy. I've been vocal enough about unhappy endings being unfair to the reader who plodded through a book just to get to an anticlimax!
Having said that, in this case anything other than what happened would have come across as unrealistic. Kanika has been true to her style n given us a very realistic, very probable ending.
Great job, Kanika. Hope u keep writing.
Smita Beohar
Isn’t the title quite fishy? It was the ugliness of the book cover which pulled me in & the blurb which had me hooked to it.

Bombay duck is a fish is the story of Neki Brar, a small town girl who chucks her cushy job in an MNC even before joining it. She has her eyes set on Bollywood & she moves to Mumbai to chase her dream of becoming a film maker.

The novel kicks off with her contemplating jumping to death from the terrace of her building but before that she decides to go through Nano. N
Saurabh Sharma
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of chick lit, movies, bollywood, drama
Recommended to Saurabh by: TV
Bombay Duck is a Fish, the title which is a misnomer is also symbolic of Bollywood. Behind the glitz, the stardom, the lights and the glamor is a world that is ugly, manipulative, merciless and without any pretensions of morals or principles. This is the premise on which author Kanika Dhillon bases her debut novel.

A young, educated Punjabi girl from Amritsar gives up a lucrative career in management to chase her dream of becoming a filmmaker. She begins at the lowest rung, as an Assistant Direc
Deepak Mondal
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
The book can be quite a deterrent for the average wannabe film-maker, hence, read it cautiously! Otherwise, the language is simple, the pace is good and the story itself is moderately engrossing. If you manage to make yourself care about the central character, till the end, I guess the job of the writer is half done. I'm not sure how many of us would actually, really care. But the tid-bits about the industry are very spicy, and would definitely enthrall the avid gossip-seekers. Read it with an o ...more
Pradeep Mathew
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who like light books and must read for bollywood aspirants
Kanika Dhillon’s debut novel “Bombay Duck is a fish” is partly an autobiographical book on career in film-making. Fast paced novel set in the tinsel town of India – Mumbai – is about dreams and ambition of the film city.

The protagonist of the story “Neki Brar” chucks a cushy corporate job to follow her dream to become a film-maker alike the author of the book.

Read the complete review here at my blog.
Bookmania
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kanika Dhillon has beautifully written the book in a modern & accessible style and in a delightful & exciting way! As soon as you read the first page, the book is unputdownable!

Bombay Duck is a Fish is a multifaceted book and each reader will enjoy the book in his own way.

I have read the book twice and I felt like I was reading a whole new book the second time. This book has a soul of its own and its unbiased complexity will move you.

A must read!

Nishant Jha
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book...not too much and it isn't bad either! perfect for a one-time read and a breezy one at that...the writing style is easy and the pace of the plot is pretty fast...I like such books! a real nice debut novel I say! yeah there are a lot of sub-characters but it never got confusing...it is a sneak peek into the life of a Bollywood Assistant Director or AD as we know now! hope the book isn't autobiographical in entirety! I would be very disappointed if it is!
VISHAL SHARMA
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
The terrible front cover just intrigued me to order it..
Its a simple story with very easy language, too many characters, begind the scene story of Bollywood & bad ending..
The author herself can be quoted to summarise the book,
“It's not the story that is unique, its the person reading the story that makes it so..”
My take if you want a simple, single read & easy on mind book, go for it..
Sushma Ks
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This book reminded me of my days as intern at advertising world. Though some expressions I could relate to some I could only guess is little hyped up. The author's narrative style is good. It was a light reading the one you want to read during days across your journey, nothing that would motivate you to shut yourselves in a room and cut yourself out from the world to complete reading...
Smriti
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: indian-authors
Rating:3.5

Was my first Indian author after Ruskin Bond and I have to say I'm quite pleasantly surprised. I actually really liked the book. I think it was well made though at times I wanted to slap the main protagonist - but I guess that's what 'showbiz' does to you?

Good job overall.
Rajeshwari
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful books I have read. Especially the ending - so very beautiful.
The book starts with Neki who is supposed to decide whether to jump or not from the parapet and she reads her diary before jumping.. and the book is really superb...
Shraddha Bhatia
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
More like a screenplay than a book, it is nevertheless hard to put down once you start reading. Lacks a little in flow and clarity of thought. The author isn't able to justify the eccentricities of the protagonist's character. Kind of predictable if you've watched Bollywood movies.
Sreehari Aravind
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the book for a reason that it portrayed the hard truths in the bollywood industry in a very beautiful way.It showed the connection Indians have to their family and also tells us why some people deserve their stardom.
October Pixie
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Casual read. Pick it up when you want to lighten your reading mood (between thrillers or heavy duty stuff).
Neha Agrawal
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Good read for a leisure weekend. Story about a girl who dreams to make it big in Bollywood. Some funny situations. The ending could have been better...
Aparna Bhuvanagiri
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
story was okay but too many characters n bad ending!!!
Shikha Arora
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bombay Duck is a fish is a wicked, funny pacy read! must have! i finished it back to back!! thumbs up!! and many laugh out loud moments! the end was quite a surprise.
Sandi
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
very much enjoyed it, except for the end - tho the last paragraph of the acknowledgements is fine!
Aditi
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tour of behind the movie reality.
Kshama
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
A light read. For days when you don't want to think too much :P
Mansee
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Avg read. The only thing that appealed to me about the book was that the progtagonist is an Asst. diretor working in a film in Mumbai. It was nice to read about what happens behind the golden screen!
Meera Srikant
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Time pass.
Pritha Mundra
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
A very quick read. Book starts off on an interesting note but meanders with too many characters and complications, and not enough explanations. A very average chic flick.
Nayana Ramesh
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Relatable
Sandi Mann
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sandi by: SRK
interesting behind the scenes of movie making...crappy ending tho

re-reading in August 2016
  • Show Business
  • For Matrimonial Purposes
  • Mediocre But Arrogant
  • The Zoya Factor
  • Love, life & all that jazz....
  • Blood Red Sari (Kali Rising #1)
  • Confessions of a Serial Dieter