Start by marking “Snakehead (China Thrillers, #4)” as Want to Read:
Snakehead (China Thrillers, #4)

Snakehead (The China Thrillers #4)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  766 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
In this fourth of Peter May's acclaimed China Thrillers, American pathologist Margaret Campbell is faced with a truck full of dead Chinese immigrants and an unavoidable confrontation with her past. Beijing detective Li Yan, now based at the Chinese embassy in Washington, is dispatched to find out how his fellow countrymen suffocated in a sealed refrigeration unit in southe ...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published February 18th 2009 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Snakehead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snakehead

Gary
Sep 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 4th book in the 'China Thrillers' series by Peter May.
I have now completed four of the six books in this series and although I enjoy the writing of Peter May and the character development, I do think generally that the excitement factor is a little low. The earlier plots in the series were a lot stronger but it is definitively the relationship interest and the Chinese angle that make this series.
In this book a truck full of dead Chinese in southern Texas draw together American pathologist Ma
Suzanne
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hodnocení: 3,5/5.

Hadohlavec sice patří mezi povedené, čtivé a návykové detektivní příběhy, ale bez exotického prostředí Číny, postrádá to, co ho v tomto žánru činilo originálním a výjimečným. I tak se ale nemůžu dočkat dalšího dílu (protože ten konec, to bylo jako co?) a jen doufám, že tentokrát se Li Jen a Margaret zase ocitnou v Číně. U Čínských thrillerů by se totiž slušelo a patřilo, ne?

Celou recenzi si můžete přečíst zde: http://www.suzannesworldofbooks.cz/cl...
Melindaaaa
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tak tohle opravdu stálo za ten risk jít do čtvrtého dílu série, kterou vůbec neznám. Panejo. Stalo se tam toho tolik a i když mi některé věci byly tak trochu jasné od začátku, ta témata mě oslovila a styl, kterým May píše je šíleně návykový. Rozhodně se chystám na předchozí čtyři díly a jsem ráda, že je mám ještě před sebou!
90 %
Zuzana
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Z Číny se děj přesunul do USA, což mě úplně nenadchlo a ztratilo to na exotičnosti, ale pořád si to drží zhruba stejnou kvalitu. Pořád je to jen obyč thriller, spotřební materiál, ale proč ne. Další díl si zase ráda přečtu, i když to na žádné ceny za literaturu není.
Clbplym
I would give this 3.5 to show that it is my favourite of the series so far. Margaret and Li are now both in the US so the insights into China are missing from this book. A lorry is discovered with a large number of illegal Chinese immigrants trapped in the back. In true Peter May style, this is not just about immigration but there is also the threat of a world wide apocalypse! As usual, this is sort of brushed over at the end. I liked the return of Li's sister.
Lorin Cary
Number 4 in the series. Stars the same protagonists who captured my attention in the first 3, Margaret and Li. Their on-off romance persists, now in the US, where she is based in Houston and he in DC. Illegal Chinese immigrants entering via Mexico reunite them in what at times seems like a medical thriller. Whether it's the different terrain or something else, this tale disappointed me. And although in retrospect I see that the author laid out clues as to the solution, I found the ending a bit w ...more
Tracy Collier
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Another fantastic book in the China Thrillers series. Really kept you engrossed in the storyline right until the very last page.
Sheila
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rhonda
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
First one I've read in the series. Liked the story about illegal immigrants who weren't Mexican for a change, but the actual mechanics of the Chinese immigrants and how the Columbians were involved didn't make much sense in the end. Also liked the setting in Houston - not the usual for an action crime thriller. Not convinced by the relationship between our 2 heros and would have preferred less physical detail on this, but interesting to read how a Chinese male-American female relationship can be ...more
Ken
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this book up from my local library on a whim as haven't read any Peter May before.
I wasn't aware this was part of a series until adding it to Goodreads.

Overall felt the plot was simple but effective, but really enjoyed how the two lead characters were written.
As this was the fourth book in the series, can't help but feel that I've jumped in at the wrong place. But liked this enough to want to go back and find the first one.
Anne Greatwood
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katya
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Nope. Just nope. I was happier with this one than the last by this author, and then suddenly we had the woman who says no when she means yes and I just noped the hell out. (I almost forgot: The nope moment followed hard on the heels of physical abuse perpetrated by the protagonist against her former lover, so I was already primed to bail on the book at that point.)
denis_kujan
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opravdu zajímave tema, zase zaujalo. Styl vypraveni svizny. Prolinani osobniho zivota a vysetrovani plynule a nenasilne. Par veci bylo predem predvidatelnych, ale na zazitku to neubira. Uplne finale ale necekane. :)
Bridget Vickers
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting to the end

I have just not found a reason to keep reading this series. The plot continues to surprise. Plausible and informative at the same time.
Monika
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Po dvou knihách ze série Enzo příjemné zjištění, že Peter May pořád umí i něco jiného než Hebridy. Pobavilo, nemohla jsem se odtrhnout.
Mike Taverner
Too many unlikely twists and turns
Terry Watson
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all Peter May's books. Snakehead did not disappoint, love the relationship between Li and Margaret.
Lynda
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good but did prefer the China setting
Kimfu
I warmed up to this book about halfway through. That's when I began to get really excited about what was going to happen next, and that's when I began to care about the characters.

I still feel the author could go deeper, much deeper, when describing all of his characters -- as well as when he describes the interplay between Chinese and American culture. And I especially feel he could go deeper when he talks about the difficulties inherent in relationships between two cultures.

But the book ended
Julie
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I read the first several in this series a couple of years ago and then lost track of it. Kind of an interesting set up. Two main characters--a woman who is a highly skilled US pathologist and a man who is a Chinese police investigator. The first few are set in China and are very vivid. I enjoyed them. This one is set in the US. I still like the two main characters, although there's a bit too much of telling what they feel (rather than helping you see it). the plot in this one, though, is sort of ...more
Eadie
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This was another great book in Peter May's Beijing series. Great characters and exciting plot make for an interesting read. I love following Li and Margaret's relationship and the up and down challenges they have with being an American and Chinese couple. The ending of this novel was such that I had to immediately download the audio from my library. Thank goodness it was available or I would have had to drive to different libraries in my county to find it. If you love Peter May's writing then yo ...more
Carol Carlson
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in the series-this is the fourth. Both Elizabeth and Li are believable characters. It's scary to think something like this might actually happen. Unfortunately, I think it could turn out to be true. There were a few plot elements that were predictable--Steve and getting the flu was very obvious, and Li meeting up with his sister. I'm not sure her daughter would be so quick to forgive, but I know the mother-daughter bond can be strong. Mendez was a little too much, but I Fuller wa ...more
Cluessister Williams
While I didn't get into the character of the protagonists as much as I wanted to, but I did think that the relationship between the Houston ME and her Chinese law enforcement lover was a novel one. The biomedical plot twisted in fascinating ways and I was on the edge of my seat to find out what the food trigger was that would release a pandemic virus. I also enjoyed the action and description at Minute Maid park, a great location for a confrontation - just ask the Astros.
Lis
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I am kind of tired of this series. Margaret and Li Yan are always angry at each other, not speaking, yet in love and certain that they can't make a life together. The relationship never moves on past that. The actual mystery/crime differs from book to book and in this one the threat is horrendous (and by the end of the book we don't really see a resolution.)
Rachel
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Margaret Campbell is the medical examiner for Houston. She is called in when a truck full of 90 dead illegal Chinese immigrants is discovered. This soon leads Margaret and her former lover Li Chan who is in the U.S. as a consulate to the Chinese embassy into a case involving Chinese immigrants being vaccinated with a deadly substance.
Nicki
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is my favourite in the series so far. It was the very plausible story that had me hooked from the start. I'm used to the main characters too with their on/off relationship. I definitely need to read the next book soon.
Anne
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fourth in the China series featuring Dr. Margaret Campbell and Li Yan takes place in the United States. Someone is injecting illegal Chinese with a biological time bomb that threatens to wipe out all mankind.
Dale
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably a 3.5. This is the 4th in the 6 book series that I am determined to finish before my trip to China. The premise here is absurd but it is entertaining to read particularly if you like pretty gruesome crime mysteries.
Lois
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've missed one or two in this series. Good writing.

This one deals with people movers, with a dose of bioterrorism thrown in which took it up a notch from other mysteries I've read dealing with this topic.
  • Paper Butterfly (A Mei Wang Mystery, #2)
  • The Mao Case (Inspector Chen Cao #6)
  • Beautiful Ghosts (Inspector Shan, #4)
  • The Last Communist Virgin
  • Lovers in the Age of Indifference
  • Shanghai
  • The Middle Heart
  • The Douglas Notebooks
  • The Coming China Wars: Where They Will Be Fought and How They Can Be Won
  • Please Don't Call Me Human
  • The Two Sisters of Borneo (Ava Lee, #6)
  • Curse of the Pogo Stick (Dr. Siri Paiboun #5)
  • English
  • The Boat to Redemption
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
  • Bad Traffic: An Inspector Jian Novel

The China Thrillers (7 books)
  • The Firemaker (China Thrillers, #1)
  • The Fourth Sacrifice (China Thrillers, #2)
  • The Killing Room (China Thrillers, #3)
  • The Runner (China Thrillers, #5)
  • Chinese Whispers (China Thrillers, #6)
  • The Ghost Marriage (China Thrillers, #7)