Start by marking “Star Wars Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Star Wars Trilogy

Star Wars Trilogy (Star Wars: Novelizations #4-6)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  5,075 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
Luke Skywalker dreamed of adventures out among the stars and alien worlds. But when he intercepted a message from a beautiful captive princess, he got more than he had bargained for—and that was how the adventure of his life began. . . .
Published June 28th 2011 by Del Rey (first published 1976)

Brad
WARNING: This is not a review of the books. I plan to write those separately someday. This is, rather, a review of the original Star Wars Trilogy catalyzed by the final episode of Lost. Please don't bother reading this if you're looking for a book review. Thanks.

About twenty years ago, I found myself in a debate about the merits of the Star Wars Trilogy with a guy named Bill (at least I think that was his name. Let’s call him Bill) and my friend Dave. Bill was trying to convince us that the Tril
mark monday
Dec 16, 2012 marked it as unread-forever  ·  review of another edition
Episode IV: A New Hope

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Carol
Dec 24, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saw-the-movie, sci-fi
Star Wars -The Force Awakens was incredible, but I have questions......and we have to wait until 2017???
Claire
A New Hope: A fun, breezy read reminiscent of the pulp science-fiction of yesteryear, with the famous cast of characters we all know and love. It doesn't add to the film, but it's an enjoyable romp nonetheless.

The Empire Strikes Back: This is almost literally the film's script with a few added adjectives. While the edgy, dark story is still intact, this novelization brings nothing new to the table. And also, Yoda is blue for some reason.

The Return of the Jedi: Easily one of the best Star Wars fi
Chad Warner
The movies of the original Star Wars trilogy (Episodes 4-6) are some of my favorite movies, so I decided to try the novelization. These books are very close to the movies, but some of the dialogue is different, and there are a few additional scenes in the book.

Star Wars
All 3 novels in this book are based on George Lucas' movie scripts, but this is the only one actually authored by him. There are a couple scenes of Luke with Biggs Darklighter and other friends on Tatooine that weren't in the movi
Jeremy
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing style gets progressively worse as you move through these books. Eventually, I swore that Yoda was narrating. Just clumsy and weirdly worded.
Stephen
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is for the Barnes & Noble leather-bound edition.

I initially received this as a Christmas gift from some good friends of mine and I immediately began to crack down and read it. I'm a big Star Wars fan and I've never had a chance to read any novelization set in the original Galactic Civil War.

I was prepared to simply relive the Big Three, but became curious when I discovered that the novelization of A New Hope is actually the ORIGINAL Novelization from 1977 that was based on an earlier
Xeyra
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
As a longtime fan of Star Wars, it was a pleasure to read the novelizations of this beloved trilogy. One could almost hear the Millenium Falcon's engines as they soared into space, or that unique sound of the jedi lightsabers, or even recall various scenes from the movies as we read them in the books, the familiar lines coming to our lips. It gives an interesting sense of nostalgia.

It was particularly nice to read some missing scenes we never got to see in the movies, like a few more moments in
Marina Ribacki
O universo criado é maravilhoso PORÉM a escrita (e tradução? não sei dizer) foi sofrível em várias partes. Livro lindo de qualquer forma.
Jana
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These may not be the most well written books of all time, but they are really fun and enjoyable.
Dominik
What a great read! The Star Wars trilogy novelization is written by three different authors (one for each movie) and all of them captured the space spirit perfectly. If you like Star Wars or movie novelizations in general, you should certainly check this out!
Anamarija
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit that I only saw Star Wars in 2015 (when The Force Awakens came out) and then the rest in 2016. Bad nerd, me. But, my parents already think Doctor Who is strange.

Either way, this was a birthday present from myself. It was a good choice. Spent a good two weeks very entertained and a bit like I was walking round with all three films.

The story is well, the same, obvi. But there is a little extra scene where Luke meets with his friend before the person whose name I’ve forgotten goes off to
Neil
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm the wrong person to write an objective review of anything to do with Star Wars, in my opinion, nothing beats it. Anything to do with the original films will always get five stars from me.

Ok, so the novels aren't great literature and Star Wars is meant to be watched, not read. But every fan will want this little hardcover edition of all three original trilogy novels. The novels follow the films pretty accurately, but at times the dialogue is slightly different. There's also a few added scenes
Martine
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this for my three year old son. He is obsessed with Star Wars and I've never actually gotten through any of the movies. I wanted to be able to answer some of the questions he asks me while we are pretending/ playing Star Wars. I was pretty sure I could get through the books since I haven't been able to get through the movies. You can tell the books were written after the movies because they aren't as descriptive as I thought they'd be. I'm glad I read them. Now I am excited to watch th ...more
Brenda Ayala
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly what you think it is--novelizations of the movie. The introduction from George Lucas confuses me a bit, and I'm not sure if these came first or the movies came first, but it doesn't really matter. There's a little extra detail (obviously, since it's a book) which I really appreciated, but ultimately if you've seen the movies you're not going to find out a lot of new information here.
Stacey
I enjoyed this series as a child and I still enjoy it today. Fun coming of age story about Luke Skywalker as he chooses between good and evil, the rebel alliance and the empire! This trilogy of stories follow the movie trilogy.
Sue
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
You can't call yourself a fan without having read these. Period.
Grant
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Star Wars fans.
I'm a big fan of the Star Wars films but these novelisations of the classic trilogy did nothing for me I'm afraid. I hadn't really expected to be bowled over by the quality of the writing but I had hoped for a reasonably enjoyable read and some additional insight into the Star Wars canon. I got neither.

George Lucas's Star Wars was the best of the bunch (which surprised me, given the brain-dead and cheesy dialogue he gave his characters to spout in the prequel trilogy). Donald F. Glut's The Empir
Day  Morgenstern
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. I can't even describe how much I enjoyed it. When I first started reading it I had abandoned previous books because they weren't written well. I was severely in need of a well written book. The Trilogy did not disappoint. It took me a while to get through because well, it's three separate stories that you have to work into the climax of individually, and I had school as well to finish for the year. Despite taking a while to read, I enjoyed it each time I read, ...more
Drew Ck
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novelizations of the trilogy that made Han Solo, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Princess Leai, Obi Wan Kenobi, and multiple other household names. Complete with every deleted scene, most of the scenes added more depth to the story.
Foggygirl
Good read, although there isn't much more background information storyline wise than there was in the movies, follows the basic screenplay. Yoda is described as being blue though in "The Empire Strikes Back" and then green in "Return of the Jedi" so that was glaringly inconsistent.
STEEL99
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As great as the movies!
Miguel Angel
Just AMAZING!!!! I had this still in the packaging for a whole year before I decided to read it and I was blown away!!! New fan of this series!!!
Ron
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey, what do you expect.

Actually filled the characters out a bit.
Jenny Larikka
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, sci-fi
I took my time enjoying this trilogy and read other novels between these three as well. I have loved the story since I was a kid and I still do. I though I had not read the novelizations before, but as soon as I started and saw how they spelled R2-D2 as Artoo and C-3PO as See-Threepio, it all came back to me.

These three novels are quite different from each other, since they are written by different authors. A New Hope was okay and quite fun to read, even if the writing was somewhat dry at certa
Nickrijns
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Note: I might go into spoilers about the movies and this book so if you have never seen the movies or read any of the books I woudn't read this review.

I love Star Wars. It's probaly in my top 5 best movies of all time. The novel about the original trilogy is just as buitefull as the movies, but without the cool special effects and such (duh).

When you want to watch the movies you go for awsome lightsaber duels and epic space battles. And with those intensions I went on to reading the book.

But wh
RumBelle
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I read the whole trilogy, back to back, for the first time,on a plane flight when I was about 14. I was really excited about reading a book written by George Lucas, and, for the most part, was not disappointed. My only complaint was that, at times, he tended to get really, really detailed. However, the upside of that was I learned a lot more information about A New Hope that I had never known before. The other two others books were quite good as well, speedy action filled plots, but they also wr ...more
M
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've already posted reviews of each of the three individual books, so I'll just briefly say that it was pretty fun to finally read the novelizations of my favorite movie series. The quality is a bit mixed at times, but it's cool to see some of the earliest Star Wars books and find some neat changes and expansions from the films, as well as some bad or just weird ones like Yoda being blue. I'm looking forward to continuing on from here to read some of the Expanded Universe material, both what I'v ...more
Stiltzkin Vanserine
Star Wars is, in many aspects, a cult classic. George Lucas’ sci-fi take on classic heroism worked wonders. The story itself isn’t too original, but good enough to be memorable; the characters are somewhat stereotypical, yet inciting enough to be iconic. The imagination is stunning, the visuals ground-breaking. Don’t forget that this movie was first seen in 1977. The world had never seen anything like it back then.

Among the three writers, I like James Khan’s writing the best—it’s more informativ
Quin Tutor-New
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The trilogy gets progressively better as far as writing goes.
Lucas's "Star Wars" is good but knowing the movies allows you to know the book. Therefore the movie is much better than the first book. Tho some dialogue not in the movie and character thoughts are really cool.
However, the writing done for "Return of the Jedi" is brilliant. I definitely read it the quickest out of the three because the story flowed so well.
Overall, I'm a huge Star Wars fan so I enjoyed the book
Star Wars Books 1 2 Dec 27, 2016 02:00PM
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones
  • Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Star Wars Encyclopedia
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  • Jedi Under Siege (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #6)
  • Ambush at Corellia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #1)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #1)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
George Walton Lucas, Jr. is an Academy Award-winning American film director, producer, and screenwriter. He is the creator of the epic Star Wars saga and the archaeologist-adventurer character Indiana Jones. Today, Lucas is one of the American film industry's most financially successful independent directors/producers, with an estimated net worth of $3.6 billion.
More about George Lucas...

Star Wars: Novelizations (8 books)
  • Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace
  • Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #1)
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  • A New Hope  (Star Wars: Novelizations #4)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars - Episode V)
  • Return of the Jedi
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars)

“No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.” 950 likes