Start by marking “Friends With Boys” as Want to Read:
Friends With Boys

Friends With Boys

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  15,057 ratings  ·  1,818 reviews
After years of homeschooling, Maggie is starting high school. It's pretty terrifying.

Maggie's big brothers are there to watch her back, but ever since Mom left it just hasn't been the same.

Besides her brothers, Maggie's never had any real friends before. Lucy and Alistair don't have lots of friends either. But they eat lunch with her at school and bring her along on their
Published February 28th 2012 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Friends With Boys, please sign up.
Lenny The author stated there will not be a sequel :( on her website, here - http://friendswithboys.com/2012/02/pa...

·  15,057 ratings  ·  1,818 reviews

Start your review of Friends With Boys
Nat
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
“It’s easy to lose your soul in high school.”

description

A coming-of-age tale with a spooky twist! Maggie McKay is starting her first day of high school after being homeschooled by her mother for years.
It’s time for Maggie to face the outside world, all on her own. And maybe make a new friend or two—one who isn’t one of her brothers.

This story is truly and exceptionally great!
I honestly wasn’t expecting it to affect me so deeply.
I could really really relate to Maggie during that nerve-wracking first day.
daph pink ♡
Nicely drawn , funny , sensitive and coming of age story❤❤
It's a perfect growing story with incredible family relations and friendships.......
And not to forget the characters :-
Maggie the heroine who was homeschooled for her entire junior school, now faces challenges in her new highschool . Through the course of story she discovers herself and make new friends and accept her identity ❤
Maggie's brothers
Daniel, zander and Lloyd(twins) being one the best siblings helps her sister at times of
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Come meet the gang! This here’s the happy family.

This here’s Maggie, our dearest heroine.

Then we have Lloyd and Zander (aka the twins). They have a major love/hate thing going on.

And the overly talented Daniel!

He’s actually a zombie hunter. But don’t tell anyone!

And last but not least, the coolest people around the block! My newest BFF, Lucy.

And her brother (and my newest crush) Alistair.

And let’s not forget the persistent stalker ghost who keeps on popping up in the strangest places!

Sum
Calista
I had fun reading this story showcasing ghosts, pirates and homeschooling to name a few. Ohh, plus the zombie Theatre. Maggie is going from homeschooling into high school and she is a little nervous. Will she meet friends or won't she. I grew up in a smaller type of town in the south and homeschooling was outside the normal back then and they had a reputation, fair or not, of being a bit odd and different. I didn't think so; they were simply more mature and knew how to behave like a person from ...more
Jo
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
“What about you? What’s your brand of crazy?”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Um… huh?! Is this a series? But mostly fantastic.

High Points.
Maggie. Lucy. Alistair. The Brother’s Brill. New school. New friends. Alien. Sigourney Weaver in a bikini. Maritime Ghosts. Maps. “Awesome Rebel Social Group”. Change. “Drinking the Kool-Aid.” Awesome dad. Graveyards. Secret pasts. Volleyball boys. Friends you don’t grow out of.

Low Points.
I’m not sure whether Ms Hicks plans to write a sequel or turn this st
Melki
It sucks to be Maggie! She wants things to be the way they always were, staying at home with her three brothers, being home-schooled by her mother. But, mom has gone AWOL, and Maggie's headin' out that door to school for the first time. There she will encounter friends and enemies as she learns the ins and outs of being a typical high school freshman. Oh, yeah...and she keeps getting visits from the ghostly widow of a dead sea captain...(?)

I loved Maggie's relationship with her brothers. Affecti
Raina
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Wow, this is hardly at all like I expected.

The title is a bit misleading. With a widely-used phrase like "Friends with Boys," I expected a story focusing on that element of life, with some discussion of gender dynamics.

But this is really not that at all. Granted, Maggie only has one friend who's a girl, but the story doesn't spend any time dwelling on the complexities of gendered life.

Between that and the mockup covers in the extra content in the back which mostly feature the title "The Educat
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Graphic novels could be the longest on-again-off-again-still-going love affair in my life. Whichever form the tale takes, funny pages, comic book, web, or novel, the art has been a part of my reading life and love as a far back as I can stretch the ‘ole memory. Even before I could truly read, I was flipping through the funny papers with my father, trying to look all grown up, imitating his ruffle-the-paper-grumpiness on Sunday mornings. :) Sooo…

Nothing plays with my heartstrings and emotions whi
Licha
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's taken me so long to finally write a review on this one, mostly because it will be one of those reviews that I'll feel as though I'll never be able to capture how great this book really is. That's always how it is with the good ones.

The story could probably come off as another coming of age book, with our protagonist Maggie entering high school after years of being home schooled. She has three older brothers who have already established themselves in school, making Maggie feel a bit out of h
Jan Philipzig
Sensitive, sympathetic coming-of-age drama that revolves around high school, peer pressure, angst, friendship, parties, popular culture and... well, a ghost. Not my favorite Hicks comic (that would be The Adventures of Superhero Girl), but enjoyable enough.
Sam Quixote
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In Chuck Klosterman’s delightful book on villains, I Wear The Black Hat, the pop culture critic writes that he sometimes wishes he could just write “I LOVE THIS” or “I HATE THIS” when reviewing certain works of art and leave it at that, not (entirely) out of laziness but because teasing out the reasoning behind it dilutes the purity of his visceral reaction. I’m tempted to just say for this book “I LOVE THIS x 1000!” and it’d be true but probably not that informative!

Maggie is about to start her
♥Rachel♥
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-e-book
This was the first graphic novel I've read. I have no idea why I waited so long!

Maggie has a lot going on in her life. Her mother, who has home-schooled Maggie up until this point, has left the family. She's starting high-school with no prior experience, and really no other friends besides her three older brothers. Add to that, she's being haunted by a very sad ghost for reasons unknown. Maggie is really overwhelmed trying to make her way in school. Just figuring out who she's going to eat lunch
Maggie
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, reviewed
NEW GENRE!

For me, at least. I've always considered myself an open-minded person, but then I look at my shelves (YA, Aussie YA, Aussie YA, Classic, Generation Kill) and I realize how limited my book choices have been. I read my first Urban Fantasy series this year (Mercy Thompson, baby!) and now with Friends with Boys, I've entered Graphic Novel territory.

And I liked it!

This is the story of Maggie McKay, a homeschooled girl about to enter the shark tank of high school for the first time. She's de
Ariel
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well this was fun! :D

I liked the characters: They were all pretty unique, felt original, and nobody felt superfluous.
I liked the story: I mean, it was a little bit random, but it was a fun time and it kept me interested the entire way through.
I liked the themes: It wasn't a heavy read in any means, but the few things that its as trying to say were clear and nice.
I liked the art: It was funky and cool and "hip" (like the kids say now-a-days), and easy to flip through.

I, you know, liked it! I defi
kayla ♡
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
this was a super cute and short graphic novel that I read in like under an hour! three stars because while it was good i was hoping it would be longer!
Noelle
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
You can read the entire comic for a limited time at Faith Erin Hicks' website Friends With Boys. Also, reading her creative process at the bottom of this page was pretty cool.

Friends With Boys is a web comic (soon to be graphic novel) by Faith Erin Hicks featuring previously home-schooled Maggie McKay's experiences adjusting to public high school, making friends outside her family and oh yeah...figuring out why that pesky ghost is following her around.

Maggie is a likeable, sympathetic heroine wh
Dave Schaafsma
The story of a girl who, with her three brothers, was home schooled until high school. Completely likeable characters. Cop father. Small town... Novia Scotia, where Hicks was herself and her three brothers homeschooled. Ghost story, too. The story is basically about Maggie's adjustment to high school and dealing with a.. . parental issue I won't spoil here. Very engaging and seductive in that you like Mags and her three bros and her two punk friends... who sort of oppose the jock volleyball team ...more
Liz Janet
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a story that I enjoyed for the plot, but not very much on the art aspect. It looks more like a manga, which might have been a better format. But, nonetheless, it was very interesting. Now, the title is a bit misleading, she is not a friend with just boys, they are her brothers, but it also forgets to mention that she is sort of haunted by a ghost. Yet, WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE STORY IN A SORT OF CLIFFHANGER? I NEED TO HAVE ACTUAL ANSWERS WOMAN!
Stacey (prettybooks)
I borrowed Friends With Boys from Debbie while I was loaning her Relish – My Life in the Kitchen , one of my favourite graphic novels. Friends With Boys is the first graphic novel I’ve actually read since Relish nearly a year ago. I was particularly looking forward to it because it’s part contemporary – about a teenager called Maggie who used to be homeschooled until her mother left home suddenly, and now she has to find a way to navigate the treacherous world of high school – and part parano ...more
David
Maggie is a fourteen-year-old girl who was homeschooled, like her three brothers, until her mother abandoned the family and took off. Now Maggie (whose father is the police chief) has to go to high school for the first time. Besides dealing with the usual trials of being the new kid at school, she's also haunted.

This graphic novel is mostly a sweet family + high school drama (Maggie needs to find herself, she's got issues with her mother having left, her brothers have friends and nemeses at high
BookCupid
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Gah! Where is the ending of the book? It can't finish like this.

As a home schooled child, Maggie's only close friends have been her brothers. But now that she enters high school, she must learn all about acceptance, putting herself out there, and finding peace with her mother's mysterious departure.

The illustrations were well done, and the characters easy to relate to. I loved the whole punk hair does. It was a breath of fresh air seeing teens that didn't fit into stereotypes. A quick read that
#ReadAllTheBooks
I have to admit that I'm a big fan of indie comics in general. Hopeless-Savages, Koko be Good, and Blue Monday... I love them all. Friends With Boys can now be added to this list. I literally sat and devoured this in one night, flipping back to scenes and images that I particularly loved, especially Maggie's interactions with her family.

One of the best things about this comic was that the main character isn't some picture-perfect character with flawless skin and great hair. (You know the ones I'
Seth T.
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

I have a bit of a history with homeschooling. A personal history. I wasn't homeschooled myself (heavens no!) but my second, third, and fourth girlfriends were all (curiously enough!) homeschooled. None of them knew each other and they didn't even share social circles. Weird, right? My mom was even concerned enough about the social wackiness of homeschool girls that she declined to introduce me to the girl who would become my fourth girlfriend (and eventually wife).*

I don't have anything particul
Tessa
Okay, ready? 3...2...1...RANT.

"Wow, so you were homeschooled before you came to high school? That's so weird!"

Why. Why is this weird. I've never met a homeschooler who thought it was weird. I've never met a homeschooler who said, "Wow, you were public schooled? That's so weird!" Do you not get that this is rude or what.

"You just seem so normal!"

Why wouldn't she be normal? People are always surprised when I say I was homeschooled. It's not like you can tell just by looking. Homeschoolers are peop
Meepelous
Jul 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-second
Surprisingly disappointing for a book from an author and a publisher which I have enjoyed previously. I spent most of the book thinking maybe it just wasn't my taste, but when the end rolled around and I realized nothing had really happened... I'm not sure how this counts as a book?

Not to say that the art was seriously sub par or something, but literally nothing progresses in this book at all. About the only thing that happens is that Maggie's brothers suddenly inexpicably decide to become frien
Lisa
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
[image error]

http://www.friendswithboys.com/ <-Go here if you want to read some of this comic(there seems to be one page posted per day and the entire book is almost posted)

The word that comes to mind when I think of this book is "endearing". Everything about it is endearing. The characters are loveable, the plot moves at a fast pace and the artwork is gorgeous(in my opinion.)

I loved how the author could say so much with so little. There were times when there would be a few pages with no text or
Sesana
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, comics
Maggie McKay has been homeschooled her whole life, and is about to start public high school for the first time. Her mother, who had homeschooled her and her three brothers, has suddenly left the family. So she has to adjust to an entirely new setting, making friends who aren't related to her, a missing mother, and brothers who are suddenly on the outs with each other. Oh, and the ghost of a sea captain's widow has been following her for years.

Forget the ghost for a minute, because she's not the
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
After being homeschooled her entire life, Maggie begins her freshman year of high school...and she just wants to go back home.

I loved The Nameless City, and was also really impressed by this YA graphic novel. The artwork is dark and detailed, at once creepy nineteenth century and...very high school. Plus there are ghosts! Specifically, a ghost from the nineteenth century with a ~tragic~ backstory. I also liked that the ending mimicked real life and didn't really have closure, but you knew that t
Emilia P
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Decide what kind of book you are, FWB. Also, get a better title. This book wasn't about being friends with boys. It was a little bit about having brothers, and a little bit about Friends with Mohawks. And also about ghosts. It wasn't really about Being A Teen, and I think it lost a lot by being forced into being framed that way. A squarer focus on the ghost story would have made it a much better book I think. With so many un-fleshed-out plots, it was sort of forgettable.

That said, Faith Erin Hic
Camden Johnson
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this graphic novel was really cute and quirky. The illustrations were great and I loved seeing the early sketches of the characters in the back of the book. I loved the relationships between Maggie and her brothers as well as her friendship with Alistair and Lucy. This was a cute gem that I'm glad I found at the library. ...more
What was the point of the ghost? 4 72 Dec 03, 2014 12:57AM

• Page by Paige
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Compass South
  • Himawari House
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Sheets (Sheets, #1)
  • Snapdragon
  • No Ivy League
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Are You Listening?
  • American Born Chinese
  • Spinning
See top shelves…
Born in the wilds of British Columbia, the young Faith frolicked among the Sasquatch native to the province before moving to Ontario at age five. There she was homeschooled with her three brothers, and developed an unnatural passion for galloping around on horseback, though never without a proper helmet (because you only get one skull). After twenty years of suffering through Ontario’s obscenely h ...more