Start by marking “First Day of School” as Want to Read:
First Day of School

First Day of School

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Anne and Lizzy Rockwell's delightful picture book series about Mrs. Madoff's class has explored some special occasions at school, including Career Day, St. Patrick’s Day, and Presidents' Day. Now the respected mother-daughter writer-illustrator team is taking on another BIG day in First Day of School.

Kids will understand the excitement and nervousness of the children in M
Published June 21st 2011 by HarperCollins (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about First Day of School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Day of School

Michaela
Summary:
It is time to get ready for school to start! Nicholas and his friends are getting ready for their first day of school.

Characteristics that Support the Genre:
This book is considered contemporary realistic fiction because it the story is believable and takes place in modern times. The plot of the book is absolutely believable in nature, and the characters seem like they could be real people. Even though the story is the product of the author's imagination, it is well within the realm of
Rachel Mong
This is a story of several friends talking about getting ready to start school. They recount all the preparations they have made for the first day of school.
This book is contemporary realistic fiction, as it is a fictional story that could have happened.
I would use this book to teach about the mentor trait of conventions. Throughout this book, there are many examples of traditional conventions. I would use this book for writing instruction to model correct conventions, such as spelling of commo
Megan Cureton
Who wasn't a little nervous on the first day of school? I really enjoyed this book about children's thoughts and memories of their first day at school. It really brought back some of my memories from when I was in elementary school and how I hoped that my friends were going to be in my same class every year. Sometimes it worked out and other times it didn't, so you had to make new friends. I would read this book aloud on the first day of school to my future kindergarten and first graders. It wou ...more
Eva Leger
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
2.5 - We didn't read this because of the subject - we rarely pick books for the subject - we just happened to see it because it was new to our library and therefore front and center.
This is basically a bunch of interconnecting "stories" by kids about what's happening to them in anticipation of starting school. One little boy gets a haircut, another little gets a new backpack and one little girl gets her favorite book from the library. Very basic stuff.
The kids are all in the same class at school
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: I remember my first day of first grade. I was so nervous because I was in a new school. I was scared because I thought people would be mean to me. In first grade I met Ashley, who has been my friend ever since. [We're in high school now.]

This book is good for all ages. It is mostly for parents to read with their kids to help them visualize their first day of school. But I read it several times and shared it with my family, and we shared and relived our first-day-of-school
Kim
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, school
Basically a series of short stories each child tells about their first days of school and what they're excited about. A dull book in a genre of dull books, but I look at it from the perspective of someone who does storytime, not as someone helping their child get excited for school. For that reason, the book probably will have value to a parent, but I still think I've seen it done in a more entertaining way.
Margaret Chind
Reassuring - multicultural, supplies.

I haven't been introduced to the books of the lady Rockwells yet, but after this one I cannot wait to get a stack of others. (It appears this one was published in hardcover in 2011) This is a fabulous and reassuring story with preparations for a new school year. It is culturally diverse and full of friends. The illustrations are wonderful and there is plenty for discussion in these pages.

Thanks to HC.
Rosa Cline
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This follows a little boy (probably 1st grade) and the process he goes through to get ready for school. From having a hair cut, to visiting with his friends and talking about the year before and all the fun they had. To getting a new back pack and supplies etc. Just a fun book to read before the beginning of the school year.
Heather
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A clear, concise book of things that one may do before school starts. The flashbacks confused my 3-year-old a bit, so I tried to explain that the children were thinking back on their first day of school from the last year.
Robin
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
At this time of the year, parents and teachers are looking for books about going back to school. This is definitely a good choice because Anne and Lizzy Rockwell do a great job of presenting a straightforward back-to-school tale without any subtext.
Megan
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
PB 31: This book is good for dealing with the anxieties of the the first day of school, and getting ready for the new school year. I didn't care for how the book started and I think there are better books dealing with this same topic.
jennifer
Basic intro for kids just starting school. Did a good job listing all the different ways kids and parents prepare for school. Would be good for kids who might be especially anxious.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
All the anxiety and excitement of the first day.
JoEllen Mccarthy
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this as a mentor text for writing with k-2. Series of moments in time and great for illustration study too.
Alana
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
"A charmed place," indeed! Nothing even slightly bad--or interesting--happens in this book.
Girl Guides of Canada
We reviewed and recommended this book for our girls in Sparks and Brownies, ages 5 - 8.
Jul 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Too wordy and I didn't like the pictures at all.
PWRL