Start by marking “The Ring of Solomon (Bartimaeus, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Ring of Solomon (Bartimaeus, #0.5)

The Ring of Solomon

(Bartimaeus 0.5)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  25,328 ratings  ·  1,310 reviews

Fans of the Bartimaeus sequence will devour this book - a cracking adventure brimming with magic, intrigue and a treasure trove of characters that the reader can't help but fall for.

We find everyone's favourite irascible djinni serving at the court of King Solomon in 950 BC Jerusalem, where he is causing his customary chaos and must help a girl assassin sent by the Queen

Published (first published October 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring of Solomon, please sign up.
Justin I think there are insights to be had and tone to absorb whether you read The Ring of Solomon before or after the series. The trilogy does a better job…moreI think there are insights to be had and tone to absorb whether you read The Ring of Solomon before or after the series. The trilogy does a better job of introducing the characters and concepts like 'essence' and 'the Other Place', but this prequel informs the reader more about the history and nature of magic, as well as the feats and trials of Bartimaeus, which are alluded to often in the trilogy without full background.(less)

·  25,328 ratings  ·  1,310 reviews

Jayson
(B) 72% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: Its new setting adds nothing: unoriginal, it relies on stock children's themes and another flat rehash of series formula.
Silvana
I love love love this book!

Please please PLEASEEEEEE Jonathan Stroud, write another prequel/sequel/epic poem/play/novella/memoir/thesis/whatever of Barty! We, his adoring fans, could never get enough of him!

Ok, back to the book. This is your typical Barty-like adventure. High-speed chases, extreme danger, lots of demons (scary, weird, yucky, you name it), strong (but flawed) characters, and of course...the trademark acerbic, sarcastic, narcissistic comments from our dear beloved jinni.

O Barty,
Rachel
Apr 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11th-grade
Revisiting the world of Bartimaius, fans will be rewarded with everything we loved about the original books: a fast-paced, entertaining adventure with a satisfying ending. Most importantly, there's Bartimaius himself, back with his footnotes and customary cheek.

Bartimaius is one of the most unforgettable and entertaining characters come to kid's fantasy in the past few years, and there's no doubt he could carry several more good novels like The Ring of Solomon. Surpassing the original trilogy i
Daria
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beloved-fantasy
It's Jerusalem, 950 B.C.E., but, much to our sheer delight, Bartimaeus could have been Dismissed out of 21st century London only moments ago. It seems that two millenia are nothing for this sharp-talking djinni, for Bart's as charmingly insolent as ever.

And Bartimaeus really is the highlight of the work. It's no wonder that Asmira struggles to be equally as appreciated by readers as Bartimaues is, just as Nathaniel and Kitty do in the original Bartimaeus Trilogy. The reader, so ensnared by the
Totoro
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wonderful
oooh, it sure took me long enough to read this :/ it wasn't because it wasn't fun or wonderful, it was greaaat ^ ^ the reason was more or less because i was reading it kindle version. wish i had the paperback :/

عاااالی بود. فقط ای کاش بازم مینوشت از این مجموعه. بارتیمیوس و جک هاش خیلی خوب بودن. پاورقی ها هم مثل سه جلد قبل خارق العاده بودن :)
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Barty! Barty! Barty!

What a rofl book. Just laugh, laugh and laugh until my stomach hurts. Since first page, The Ring of Solomon was sooooooo funny that me started laughin' so hard.

Oh Barty, we love you. This book is hilarious, funny, and exciting. I think Barty is the most beloved fantasy characters all time. awesome!

I like this book it is a lot fun 'n you should get this book you will love Barty more and more and more and more!

Great job Mr. Stroud. Please, give us more Barty's stories.
Katy
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, ebook
When I finished The Bartimaeus Trilogy, I was hungry for more. Adding on to the trilogy would probably have been a disaster, but creating a sister book with the same humorous cheek of Bartimaeus', and living his adventures before his days with Nathaniel, was genius!!!! I started reading with a smile, and I finished it smiling. In addition, It left me wanting to go back and read the whole trilogy again!
Adam Rex
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it’s the heroic rogue of a main character, or the Arabian setting, or possibly even the Disney logotype on the spine of the jacket, but I got to thinking about the animated feature Aladdin. The first ten minutes of that movie contain a sprawling musical action set piece in which we learn that the titular hero
–Has to steal to eat
–HAS to eat to live
–Works really, really hard at it
–And did we mention he’s an orphan?
and anyway after he finally absconds with his hard-won loaf of bread he ju
Lucijaa
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
Don't know what to say about this book except that is one of the best ones out there!

I'm a big fan of Bartimaeus since I was a child, and imagine how thrilled I was when I found out Jonathan Stroud wrote one more book about Bartimaeus!

I was amazed by this book, and I have to say that with years, Jonathan hasn't lost his touch, and wrote another great book about Bartimaeus.

After reading this book, I kinda miss Nathaniel because I absolutely love having him and Bartimaeus in the same team.

It's pre
Amina
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FAN-TAS-TIC!!!
Can't wait to read the three other books!

Jerusalem, 250 B.C.E, King Solomon is ruling his kingdom with an iron fist (or a very powerful ring to be more specefic), demanding immnense revenues after terrorising other kings and queens of far off lands. Magicians, recognizing the supreme power of the ring, are competing for the king's favors, enslaving djinn, afrits and marids to get the most beautiful and powerful magic curiosities to add to the king's huge collection.

When the kingdo
Jay Daze
Argh! This book took forever to get started. I wish there was some way to skip over about a hundred pages, the loong time it takes for Asmira and Bartimaeus to start working together, and foreground the nicely nasty maneuvering early on in the book instead of saving it up for a reveal later on. Only after the unveiling does Asmira start to become slightly interesting in her zealotry, but that only lasts for a few scenes.

The prequeal to Bartimaeus Trilogy, the story is set in ancient Jersualem wh
Malia
I really loved this book, the fourth (but actually a prequel) in the series! Bartimaeus was as fabulous as I remembered him. Further, I found the setting of ancient Jerusalem served to add to the whole feeling of exoticism, particularly with the famous figure of King Solomon in the midst of the action.
If you were a fan of the previous three books, I am sure you will enjoy this one, too. But even if you are new the stories of the djinni Bartimaeus, this is a good place to start, as it can easily
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
I have never hidden my love for the main Bartimaeus trilogy so I was quite happy to return to this world with one of my favorite characters, Bartimaeus. This prequel leaves me a tad conflicted though.

Bartimaeus was once again brilliant in this book. That wasn’t the problem. Or maybe it was. Whereas with the main trilogy Bartimaeus was amongst a great cast of characters and a dark, steady plot, this book is somewhat lacking in that department. The plot is more predictable, and while the characte
Linda
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both youth and Jonathan Stroud are wasted on the young. Seriously, the Bartimaeus books are far too fabulous to be sequestered in the same section with the Gossip Girls and the Twilight series.

The nice thing about this entry in the series is that it stands alone quite nicely. By the time you're finished with it, if you haven't already read the first three, you'll be running full-tilt to get your hands on them.

The plot? Oh, it's just your standard girl meets djinni meets evil magician meets king
Chrisanne
How I love sequels that are well-thought out. It's like getting back together with an old friend and picking right back up from where you left off. However, to clarify, this isn't a sequel. It's a prequel that feels like a sequel. But Bartimaeus is still his delightfully charming, impertinently saucy, and good(!) self. Great fun.
Alexa
I love Bartimaeus, I love Asmira, and I have a very unexpected third fave. I also loved the different relationships between humans and spirits, and the examination of slavery not only in regards to the djinnies, but also those who might not even realise they are being used.

I'm taking points off for a running joke that was fatphobic and unnecessary, but otherwise this might have been 5 stars.
Alyssa
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite some time has passed since I read the Bartimaeus trilogy. As my ten year old just picked up the first book, I decided to give the prequel a try to familiarize myself again with the series. I have no regrets. Bartimaeus is witty as ever. The plot is enjoyable. I hope there will be more books in this series soon.
Maninee
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Year: 250 B.C.
Location: Jerusalem

The mighty king Solomon rules over Jerusalem and terrorises the neighbouring kingdoms of Edom, Sheba and many such others. He commands a horde of marids(highest level of djinn); bucketfuls of afrits(second level of djinn) and hundreds of djinnns. Commoners fall back in awe of his personality, magicians bow their heads in respect, entire empires bow to his will and tumble under his gaze. And all because of one reason. The Ring. The Ring. The ring that gives it's
Chachic
May 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here.

Bartimaeus is back, with his trademark wit, humor and impudence. In the world created by Jonathan Stroud, demons are slaves to magicians who summon them from the Other Place. They are forced to accomplish tasks that usually involve prestige for their masters. There are many kinds of demons and Bartimaeus isn’t even one of the most powerful. He more than makes up for it in his own cunning way and has even served several powerful masters. In The Ring of Solomon, he serves Kh
Ashish
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solomon's Ring comes across like a summarized version of the other 3 books. Good people turn out to be bad, bad people turn out to be good, there are seemingly insurmountable odds that are heroically overcome, there are plucky young warrior women, jaded heroes exhausted with their burden, uncompromisingly evil villains, hilarious side notes and slapstick magic.
Why do I feel I've seen this somewhere before?
While definitely entertaining enough, you don't get an opportunity to connect with the ch
Joan
I read this after it won SLJ's Battle of the Books since everyone was raving about it. I was pretty dubious about it but no more! This is so much fun I have immediately started rereading this which I don't do often at all! The language and wit of Bartimaeus is just so much fun! The story is suspenseful and well done, and the other characters are all individual as well. I also like who got the worst punishment among the baddies, very interesting choice. I can't wait to start the original trilogy! ...more
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Another entertaining book in this series, however I enjoyed the original trilogy a lot more, other than the Jinn, there where not really any characters that grabbed my attention, but the trilogy had quite a few I really liked.
Clouds
Great to have Bartimaeus back!

[proper review to follow... at some point!]

After this I read: The Wind Through the Keyhole
Mayank Agarwal
One of the best children books around, got excellent humor and world-making.

The original Bartimaeus trilogy is my favorite children book series (sorry Harry Potter). The Ring of Solomon is a standalone prequel, with this being my second reread of the book after a gap of seven years.

The world of Bartimaeus has a well formulated magic system and an interesting fantasy world making. In this alternative historical world, magic is very much present, there are magicians who command jinni’s (spirits)
Iris Bergevoet
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-read
*4.5
Would I say Bartimaeus is one of my all time favourite characters ever created? Yes.
Am I going to pester Jonathan Stroud until he writes me another book? Absolutely.
Giovanna
3.75

Even when he isn't at his best Stroud is a good storyteller. The Ring Of Solomon isn't as good as the original Bartimaeus trilogy, but it's still good. I would not suggest you start reading Stroud from here, nor would I recommend reading this before The Amulet of Samarkand though, because I'm quite sure you'd like this more if you knew Barty and the magic system already. Still, if you loved the trilogy, read this. It's not perfect, it lacks something, but it's fun and fast.

Plotwise it was a
hpboy13
A worthy companion to the astounding Bartimaeus trilogy, Ring of Solomon was a fascinating book about Bartimaeus’s shenanigans in prehistoric Jerusalem. Just as with the other books, I found myself laughing copiously at Bartimaeus’s snark, and reading spellbound during some fantastic action sequences. Admittedly, I did not care for Asmira’s POV chapters for the most part, but once she met up with Bartimaeus they became tolerable.

Also like the rest of the series, Ring of Solomon was surprisingly
Jesica
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been waiting to read this book since in the other books Bartimaeus seems to always boast about how he'd have talked to Solomon. In one ocassion, I don't remember wich book, Bartimaeus said that it was only a brief chat. well it evidently more than that. Bartimaeus had practically saved Solomon's life! I thought Barti's famous chat with Solomon would be kind of formal. as it turned out, the first time Solomon heard about the djinni was when he got some report about Bartimaeus singing songs i ...more
Jenna
Great glimpse into Bartimaeus's old life. His narration was wonderful as usual and seeing this darker, Ptolemy-less Bartimaeus was an interesting contrast, as all the previous iterations had already been highly influenced by the boy magician. Although Bartimaeus does seem to already lean towards young human forms. But winged!

For the characters, I don't really have to say that Bartimaeus was great. I liked seeing him work together (briefly) with Faquarl. Including Khaba's POV, however, I really
Play Book Tag: Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud 3 12 Jan 14, 2019 08:00AM
Around the Year i...: The Ring of Solomon, by Jonathan Stroud 6 16 Aug 17, 2016 12:23PM
Gifts for my Nephew 2 5 Mar 13, 2016 10:39AM
What should be next? 15 68 Nov 11, 2014 04:35PM
Addicted to YA: The Ring of Solomon 12 175 Apr 07, 2014 04:50PM
The Backlot Gay B...: The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud 1 7 Mar 28, 2014 09:41AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Jilid III
  • Fantasy Fiesta 2011: Antologi Cerita Fantasi Terbaik 2011
  • Dschinnland (Die Sturmkönige, #1)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3)
  • The Simoqin Prophecies (GameWorld Trilogy, #1)
  • Time Quake (The Gideon Trilogy, #3)
  • Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Darke (Septimus Heap, #6)
  • The Crowfield Demon (Crowfield Abbey, #2)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • The Last Battle of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #3)
  • Ghost Knight
  • Lee Raven, Boy Thief
  • Fly Trap (Fly by Night, #2)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
Jonathan Anthony Stroud is an author of fantasy books, mainly for children and youths.

Stroud grew up in St Albans where he enjoyed reading books, drawing pictures, and writing stories. Between the ages seven and nine he was often ill, so he spent most of his days in the hospital or in his bed at home. To escape boredom he would occupy himself with books and stories. After he completed his studies

Bartimaeus (4 books)
  • The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1)
  • The Golem's Eye (Bartimaeus, #2)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
“Can you define "plan" as "a loose sequence of manifestly inadequate observations and conjectures, held together by panic, indecision, and ignorance"? If so, it was a very good plan.” 235 likes
“Besides, if you're going to die horribly, you might as well do it with style.” 136 likes