Start by marking “How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)” as Want to Read:
How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)

How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green #6)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  4,573 Ratings  ·  355 Reviews
The Scandal Sheets call him Lord Ice.

Ruthless, cold, precise, Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, tolerates only the finest-- in clothes, in horseflesh, in mistresses. And now he's found the perfect bride, the one whose dowry will restore his family's shattered legacy and bring him peace at last: the exquisite heiress Lisbeth Redmond.

She's about to play with fire...

But one un
Mass Market Paperback, 373 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about How the Marquess Was Won, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Marquess Was Won

Jilly
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The craziest thing happened when I read this book: I fell in love with a cat. That's right, me - the dog-lover who thinks all cats are evil spawns of the devil - met the kitteh of my dreams..... well, because he's an evil spawn of the devil. See? I knew I was right!!

His name is Charybdis, who in mythology is a nymph-turned-sea monster who gulped down ships. He was well named. See, he's a very cute cat, with a fluffy belly that begs to be petted. And, that's how he traps you!

He extended a hand a
♡Karlyn P♡
This book was saved by the great banter between two very interesting leads, but the story itself wasn't quite as dazzling. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed this book. Maybe its that I've just had my fill of historicals set among London balls and house parties, complete with vapid and shallow guests in attendance. But what I haven't had my fill of are heroes and heroines like Marquess Dryden and Phoebe Vale. They were pure fun to read.

Phoebe is one of my favorite kind of female heroines in a
Beanbag Love
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
*sighs*

Very nice historical romance. I liked both leads, the tension of the various situations (not just sexual) was apparent and accessible, and the ending was satisfying.

This series is about two families that hate each other: the Everseas and the Redmonds. They both live in Pennyroyal Green but they don't interact at all if they can help it. The books switch off as to which family is featured. For some reason the Redmonds always seem to come off negatively (although I liked Miles Redmond's bo
Lisa
Phoebe Vale, teacher and broadsheet lover, has no clue her life is going to change when she goes into a shop to admire a bonnet and get the latest gossip. When she hears the latest scandals of Lord Ice, Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, she is rather amused but she is quickly startled because who just happens into this shop? None other that Julian in all his black and white glory. With just a cursory glance about the shop, Julian asks to see the fans and purchases the best one as everything is th ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
This was amazing! Watching Jules and Phoebe fall in love was magical. And tense cause you just knew they were going to fight it or ignore it cause society deemed to keep them apart, not to mention Jules's desire to plan all of his life the way he thinks it should go. Thankfully, the end up together :)

I'll reread this book at some point. It was that good :)
Ana
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Scandal Sheets call him Lord Ice.

Ruthless, cold, precise, Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, tolerates only the finest—in clothes, in horseflesh, in mistresses. And now he’s found the perfect bride, the one whose dowry will restore his family’s shattered legacy and bring him peace at last: the exquisite heiress Lisbeth Redmond.

She's not afraid to play with fire...

But one unforgettable encounter with Lisbeth’s paid companion, Phoebe Vale, and the Marquess is undone: this quiet girl with the
Erika
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Julie Anne Long
This book was such a dilemma.

FIRST PART (the first 55% of the book).
This is the moment our hero the Marquess Dryden or Julian Spenser meet our heroine, the schoolmistress Phoebe Vale. This part was great. Totally great. Julie Anne Long knows exactly how to built a very intense romance and put it into words with enough power to evoke reader's emotion.

Take a glimpse at this moment:

She held her body very gingerly when she turned, because if she was dreaming, she didn’t want to accidentally jar he
Shawna
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of aristocratic, paragon heroes paired with plain, commoner heroines
Shelves: cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, historical-romance, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-alpha‎, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, author-julie-anne-long, friends-to-lovers, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, historical-romance-regency, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, heroine-chaperone-governess-teacher, love-triangle-vying-courtships, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, animals-matter, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, hero-darcy-paragon-haughty-staid, wager, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, heroine-companion, heroine-plain-jane-uglyducklingswan, hh-servant-serving-working-class, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, hero-gentleman, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, star-crossed-lovers, i-read-kindle, kindle, 2011-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2011, 5-stars, steam-2-warm, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, hero-brooding, hh-across-the-tracks, series-pennyroyal-green, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hh-smart-intellectual-brainy-geek, heroine-commoner-lower-class, heroine-destitute-poor, rt-book-reviews-4-and-a-half-stars, heroine-debutante-talk-of-the-ton, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, heroine-ridiculed-unpopular-teased, heroine-miss-independent, hero-military-war-veteran, hh-famous-celebrity, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hero-marriage-wife-hunting, hero-starchy-loosen-up-buttons-babe
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

This is an engaging historical romance with a winsome H/H and it provided a very satisfying culmination to my 2011 reading! *Happy sigh*
Tina
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I read this book in one sitting. It is a definite page turner and sucks you in. But after the sublime high that was What I Did For a Duke, this was a bit of a (small) disappointment. This book simply did not capture the sheer loveliness of the romance and the hilarity of the dialogue of that one.

Julian, the Marquess of Dryden is a trend-setter. Whatever he does is slavishly copied -- from what types of horses he buys, to how he wears his hair (there is quite an amusing/disastrous rippl
Verity
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cat & Pekingese luvers
Nevah thought a trend-setting Marquess could be bested by a crabby, furry, scene-stealing chubby cat. I admit I'm biased. Anyfink featuring cats & dogs will earn an Xtra brownie point in my bleeding heart. When Jules screamed like a woman & escaped Charybdis' paws by a whisker, he catapulted to my lovable heroes shelf. I'm so in lurrve w/ this book & Jules. If I didn't have to work in a few hours, I'd re-read this heelarious book cover to cover again. I heart my local author. This li ...more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Oh, how I love the Pennyroyal Green series. Clever heroines, gorgeous men, the family feud between the Redmonds and Everseas, witty banter... and this one is the most romantic story in the series yet.

Two unlikely lovers, Phoebe Vale the schoolteacher from the wrong side of the tracks, and the Marquess Dryden, Julian Spenser nicknamed "Lord Ice" make you believe in love at first sight despite all the obstacles. Just magic.
Iliada
I love everything about this book, but more than anything I love the hero!
5+++++ stars.

It seems that I am in reading heaven these days, because there is no way I could have read so many incredibly good books in a row. I had a small favourites shelf and it has grown so much right now, but I can't help it. How the Marquess Was Won is another book that makes me feel so strongly! I know what it is with Julie Anne Long that makes me feel so comfortable and yet so excited when I read her books. Apart
Zoe
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really tempted to give the book 2 stars, because I did not like the story.

But to pay respect to the fine writer that Julie Anne Long is, I gave the book 1 more star.

It took me more than 3 months to read the book, that alone says a lot about how I felt about the book. JAL's Pennyroyal Green series has been of uneven caliber in my eyes. While all well-written, some of the stories appeal less to me. How the Marquess was won is one of those less-appealing.

Strictly speaking I don't think thi
Becca
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Phoebe and Jules fell in love not at first sight, but first conversation. How the Marquess Was Won was a book full of innuendo, heartfelt confession, and wit. Jules and Phoebe truly loved to talk to each other. It was refreshing to encounter characters that were friends as much as they were lovers.

This book was not quite as good at What I Did for a Duke, though the concept was similar. This story also takes place at a house party, although to be honest, because this book focused so much on conve
Katie(babs)
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Started out strong with great chemistry between the hero and the heroine. Went downhill fast during the second half where the rich snobs decide to trick the heroine into thinking she's an original and a beloved part of the higher class based on a wager from the hero's nasty jealous nemesis. I felt this wasn't need and shows that this story had no real path or any real drama or angst after the heroine and heroine are honest about their feelings for one another.

Such a shame because this book could
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Yup, it's official ... I'm madly in love with Julie Anne Long! Officially one of my fave authors I just can't leave alone. Previously I've said only Elizabeth Hoyt knows how to build the tension and writes the best love scenes ... but this author definitely is a rival in that regard. I thought the deflowering scene is one of the hottest I've ever read in romance books. I hate it when I get all hot and bothered on the train, but it was so worth it. She really does know how to write a H and h that ...more
Dina
Absolutely brilliant!
Kiri Fiona
4.5 Stars…

Quote…At the moment he could think of no finer accomplishment, nothing else he aspired to. I did that. I made her this happy.

What I loved:
This is my first novel by Ms Long, and I loved a billion things about it. But I'll be brief, because I'm trying to simplify.

Phoebe with all her depth, intelligence, kindness, and her duality. She's a normal person - she appreciates the good, but still has her bitch side intact. She was definitely no angel, and that's what made her such an accessible, wonderful heroine.

Jules.
Barbara
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Julian Spencer (aka the marquess) is a man who has his stuff together. He knows what he wants and what he needs to do to get it AND he never makes mistakes. His every move and action is calculated and he never-ever seems to slip up. Because of this, society views him as almost a God. He's perfect and they can't help but admire him, fear him and be fascinated by him all at once.

In short, the ladies want to bed him and the men want to be him.

And what's wrong with that, I ask? *wink*

That is exactly
Katie Michaels
Julie Anne Long, where have you been all my life? Obviously, you have been writing some excellent Historical Romance... but why is this the first time we've been together?

Obviously, I adored this book and upon finishing this review, I'm going to check out the backlist in the Pennyroyal Green series. This is the sixth installment, but if you've new to these books as well --I promise-- this works great as a standalone.

Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, is at the height of fashion among the ton. His
Natalie
"She was afraid of losing herself, of surrendering to someone, to anyone, of caring enough to open herself up to that kind of pain.

He was afraid, too. She was the only one who had the courage to admit it."

The tension in this book was really well created. I thought Long did an excellent job of holding back so well that at some point I did get a little bit frustrated (LOL) but it all paid off in the final chapters when we got such an emotional outpouring from both Phoebe and Julian.

I loved how co
CaroB
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CaroB by: Susanne
This story was my first by this author and I am absolutely charmed! The dialogue between the H/h simply sizzles and burns. It seduces the reader with witty banter, tongue-in-cheek innuendo and soul-baring emotion, set in a time when language was used as a weapon as well as cloak.

I haven't been in the mood for a historical for a little while now, but this book has rekindled my interest in them by celebrating everything I love about the good ones... the way language is used with such meaning, and
Kelly22
4.00 to 4.50 Stars - Regency/Historical Romance

A very powerful trend-setting marquess, Jules Spencer, decides to get married. Locating the best candidate in the assignment he sets off to stage the finest courtship that is expected from him. It is then when he meets a spunky schoolteacher, Miss Phoebe Vale, also serving as a companion to his intended and instantly becomes captivated by her. He offers her to be his mistress which she sternly refuses. Stung by rejection and ruled by pride he agrees
Susanne
He laughed. He was officially enjoying himself.

And so was I. This book is delightful and fabulous. It is one of JAL's best and it reminded me so much of my favorite book To Love a Thief. The heroine is a schoolmistress and the hero is Lord Dryden (also known as Lord Ice). But there is nothing icy about his interactions with Phoebe.

"And now I suspect my job is to protect her from the likes of you."
He liked that. His eyes brightened. "Ah. Are you a decoy? Like a wooden duck set free on a pond duri
Claudia
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Julie Anne Long but I think it won't be the last one. I absolutely loved the characters and their banter, the chemistry and the development

really a great read
Steamywindows♥♫
Loved the opening, the unusal plot, the characters and a delightful cat! I love this theme: the handsome, unattainable hero, the smart but plain and under estimated heroine. I definitely was on the edge of my seat wondering how this was going to reach a HEA, and was not disappointed.

There is quite a bit of wonderful humor in this book that nicely contrasts the more tragic moments- Phoebe gives some deliciously insightful quips and sets our hero back on his too self assured a** on more than one
Slavena
$7 down the drain, I did not finish this book and unfortunately did not cancel it fast enough to receive my money back. I picked up this book because of the glorious reviews but I am 100% sure now that the reviewers were paid to give a 5 star reviews.

The writing is horrible, I know a few high school kids that can write better, the sentences were 3 words each and it felt so cut up and amateurish that I could not stand it.

The heroine is a school teacher who follows up on the gossip about the ohh s
Christopher
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
If I had to describe my thoughts on HTMWW in one word, it would be "disappointing." I highly anticipated the release of this book. And, in some ways, it delivered: the book kept me glued to it til the end, it was emotional, it was fairly long (about 7000 "pieces" on the kindle), and had quite a bit of witty dialogue.

Reflecting back once I had finished it, however, the conflict just seemed way too forced. I couldn't see why Julian was SO adamant to have Phoebe as a mistress, rather than a wife (t
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not perfect, but perfectly delightful. Particularly the romance and dialogue. You really feel these two characters falling in love, and actually knowing each other - which is surprisingly rare in romance. And of course, the humor. I read JAL with a wide grin - so witty and sweet.

There's WAY too much character name dropping, signature of these endlessly long series. I am in the minority but I really really really don't like long HR series with a passion for this very reason (oh, hello, Bridgerton
Tal
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
description

You take a funny romance story and add a chubby temperamental cat...

description

Both Phoebe and Dryden are incredibly intelligent and funny and their dialog was witty and full of humor (Gilmore Girls style).

Really liked it.
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • The Duke's Tattoo (The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , #1)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • At Your Pleasure
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • Trouble at the Wedding (Abandoned at the Altar, #3)
  • Rules to Catch a Devilish Duke (Scandalous Brides, #3)
  • She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2)
  • Nearly a Lady (Haverston Family #1)
20987
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it ...more
More about Julie Anne Long...

Pennyroyal Green (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Between the Devil and Ian Eversea (Pennyroyal Green, #9)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
  • The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)

“He was still thoughtful. 'Do you think any of us ever really knows anyone?'

'Philosophy, Lord Dryden? And yet it's daylight and everyone is still sober.”
20 likes
“I love you so much i can hardly tell my own heart from yours anymore, and I've never said it to another woman in my life as it's never until now been true.” 15 likes