Start by marking “Rock On” as Want to Read:
Rock On

Rock On

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  599 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
Ori Taylor is the lead singer, guitarist, and songwriter of the Band To Be Named Later, a garage band he started with his friends. After years of being known only as the kid brother of sports star Del, Ori is looking forward to stepping out of his older brother's shadow, learning to perform in public, and rocking the Battle of the Bands contest. Oh, and maybe finally worki ...more
Published March 5th 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Rock On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock On

April
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Books with music as their main theme are hard for me to resist. They take me back to a time when I was a teen in choir, marching band and learning to play guitar (mind you I was not good at any of these things). Also, like most people with a pulse, I like music. Rock On by Denise Vega is all about the music.

Read the rest of my review here
Mark Stevens
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
“Rock On” is lively, energetic and it’s packed with that youthful, energetic spark. That love of music. I’m a full four decades older than the protagonist but “Rock On” took me smack back to high school and right back into the middle of trying to put a band together. “Rock On” captures that indescribable sensation of what it’s like to play live music—and all the woes and complications and emotional struggles that go with it. I liked the interspersed bits from the “Colorado Kicks” web page / fan ...more
Eilonwy
This is a fairly slim volume with a pretty good amount of substance in it.

It's primarily told from Ori's first person POV, with bits of exchanges from the band's website and some text messaging; most of that worked very well and provided some good comedic relief. I did object to the inclusion of a couple of email and text exchanges that Ori was not privy to, but that only happened about twice, so I forgave it, kind of. Ori had a strong, believable voice, and I enjoyed both his passion for music
Susan Gottfried
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rock-fiction
Once again, there I was in the library, promising myself I wouldn’t check anything out, no matter how tempting.

…and there I was, walking out of the library with a copy of Denise Vega’s Rock On. On the cover, a picture of a girl and a guy, each with a guitar. And a cute little tag line: A story of guitars, gigs, girls, and a brother (not necessarily in that order).

The cover’s language is quite right. Rock On is the story of Orion Taylor, who is forming a band that he intends to win the Battle of
Jay Jason
Jun 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: blog, kindle
The more I think about Rock On, the more frustrated I get with it. I was expecting so much more than what I got. The more I read, the more annoying the characters got, and the more predictable the plot became. What I wanted was some kind on victorious retelling of a high school bands rise from preforming in their lead singer's garage to making millions and playing music in front of thousands. What I got was a bad disney-esque situation comedy about a lead singers angst to his brother and crush.

Y
Britta
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
What comes off as a story of a high school band is really much more. It is a story of brothers trying to make their own names for themselves while struggling to stay friends. This book was sweet, definitely, and fun how it tried to be unique, but somethings I wish the author left out.

This book is narrated by the lead guitarist, Ori Taylor, which was nice. But in between some chapters there would be pages that would be as if the reader was looking at the band's blog. That was cool and different a
Tammy Walquist
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, I came into this book off a high from finishing two other fantastic books. I had a bad attitude about it and when it started by featuring a website with posts about a high-school band, I must confess I almost put it down. However, it only took me about a chapter to get completely caught up in the world of Orion Taylor and his band, working hard to prepare for the Battle of the Bands in months, looking for a bass player, oh and a name for their band too. I was instantly caught up in the dra ...more
Dee ✘
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I received a copy of this book from the author. (thank you!)

There's not really much to say. It was a light and fast paced read and I enjoyed it. (even though I haven't had much time for reading lately)

I liked the blog posts and the texts, I was always looking forward to them.
Del was a jerk, but it was nice seeing him and Ori work things out and get their relationship back.
The band was cute. I liked Ali and Nick, I don't have much to say about Troy, Gwyn was a nice addition, and Ori, well, he wa
Sonya
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
3.5
ISACK
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a book could not put down, I read this book in two week's (But most could finish it faster). If you love music, rivals, romance, and a high school fiction this is the book for you. For me I was able to connect to some of the characters. I gave Rock On a 5/5 because it is one of the best books I have read besides The lord of The Rings sires.
Phoenix Kotsatos
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome book about a teenager named Ori and his troubles. His brother is being a jerk to him after coming back from his first semester at college, and his band isn't doing too well. This book was really exiting to read and in between each chapter there was discussion on their website blog. This book was great and really interesting.
♡Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Me ha encantado, me lo leí en un día, es una historia diferente porque se centra en la relación de hermanos y no tanto como de pareja, por eso mismo me gustó, por ser diferente a lo que acostumbro a leer.
Grendaycita Segovia
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Una lectura ligera, entretenida y algo divertida. Centrándose principalmente en la relación de hermanos y la confianza en uno mismo. Con pocos personajes; siendo ligeros, sin demasiadas complicaciones.
Peace Owen
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just like how romantic love wasn't the fore runner in this book
Noah A.
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a good book, and it was very relatable. If you enjoy music or play an instrument, this is book is for you. It is about a kid and his band who are going to a battle of the bands to win.
711Lena
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the books I read this year that I never wanted to stop reading. It was really good! The character deals with problems with his brother, and trying to win the "battle of the bands". It was really fun and if you like books about kids forming bands/playing music I definitely recommend it.
Wdebo5487
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Realistic YA books are always ones I seek out. I love seeing the development between characters and observing the interactions and relationships that can blossom. That is just one of the reasons I decided to pick up "Rock On." (And the fact that it was a novel about music just made me little heart pound with excitment). This novel was definitely a fun and enjoyable read; however, it seemed like it was lacking some sort of attractive element.

There is something about YA music stories that just se
Hobart
Apr 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I can't remember what it was that made goodreads suggest this book to me, but I put it on my To Read list over a year and a half ago, and really only picked it up because it was front-faced on a library shelf I walked by last week, and my stack was pretty light. Glad I did pick it up though.

I've got a soft-spot for rock band novels -- ever since The Buffalo Nickel Blues Band , which I read about 400 times in junior high. The Commitments (one of my all-time favorites), Eddie and the Cruisers
Andrea
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Few things things please me more than a story about a young band. When you add in the fact it's written from a guy's point-of-view, has an awesome cast of friends, a sweet, but halting love story, and a troubled family dynamic, well that's practically a siren song for a girl like me. I couldn't resist reading ROCK ON.

Ori Taylor is a musical prodigy, playing by ear since the age of seven. His band, a band with no name and no bassist, is comprised of his best friends and managed by another best f
Jessi
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Stepping into the world of high school friendships, romance, and sibling drama that Denise Vega has created is like walking into a world that you're already familiar with. The characters are very realistic and easy to relate to--they could just be another group of kids at your high school--and the story has something for everyone. Whether your in it for the romance or the rivalry, you won't walk away disappointed.

Ori always looked up to his brother going up, but after being put on academic proba
Ambur
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've mentioned that I love music, so I pretty much jump at the chance to read anything music-related that I can get my hands on, and in the case of Rock On, I'm extremely glad that I did! :D

One thing that I absolutely loved about Rock On was that it was from a teen boy's perspective, which I found really interesting...I also absolutely loved Ori (or Orion) and his passion for music! :D Ori was pretty much a prodigy and had been playing guitar for years. I was never a prodigy myself and only play
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Team Disney Girl
I have a problem with books written by women that are told by boys. Especially if it is told in 1st Person POV. I think the reason might be because I have a son who is a freshman in high school. I'm always comparing the literary boy with the real thing. And folks... my son doesn't have a swoony sensitive bone in his body. Sometimes I'll read passages out of these books and he just laughs at me and tells me that he would NEVER think like that.

But is it because my son isn't musical?

Nah... he has f
Chrissy
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Rock On by Denise Vega is a very natural story. It's one of those "moment in time" stories that I love because of the realism and character study. While I love watching how the characters grow, develop, and change (oh, and make mistakes...lots and lots of mistakes), Rock On is also a fun contemporary read even if you don't like contemplating character development.

The full title of Rock On is Rock On: A Story of Guitars, Gigs, Girls, and a Brother (Not Necessarily in that Order). That pretty much
Sandra (Waiting For Wentworth)
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book and a very realistic story. 16 year old Ori and his friends have a band, and they have a dream of making it big. Their first major goal is to come up with a name for the band as they work towards getting ready to compete in the High School Battle of the Bands. Ori is musically gifted and loves to write songs, and what is going on in his life is reflected in his lyrics.

I really enjoyed all of Ori's friends and band mates. They were all unique characters, and even though none o
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult

This book was a lot of fun. It definitely contained a conflict, but it was one of those books I knew would turn out fine. What's so great about it is that there's some nice character development and it's perfectly suitable for younger teens. So if you're one of those parents who stays very conscious of what your child reads, this one is perfect. There's a few curses and that's it.

Orion is serious about music. It's his passion, but he also hides beh
Sara
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, young-adult
Orion has a dream of being a rock star, but in the meantime, he's playing with his high school band and gearing up for the Battle of the Bands against other local groups. Music is his life and he gets completely lost in it, which is a nice distraction from what's going on at home. His older brother, once the golden boy who could do no wrong, has moved back home after dropping out of college and aggravates Orion at every opportunity, seeming determined to steal everything good out of Orion's life ...more
Book Sp(l)ot
Orion, "Ori," Taylor lead singer, songwriter and guitarist for The Band to Be Named Later (that's not their named, they don't actually have a name yet), has always been Del Taylor's little brother. The big-star's ignored little brother. That was supposed to change now that Del was in college. Sure people would still ignore him, but at least he'd be able to concentrate on his band and their music.

Just as Ori's starting to listen to his friend that maybe he's not the dorky, ugly, rightfully-overlo
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
Thank you to Hachette Book Group Canada for a copy of this for review!

It’s no secret that I love books about music. Some of them I can really identify with and other’s I have a hard time connecting with, but I can still really appreciate the story.

Rock On was an interesting story. I loved the music talk and the songwriting, but something kept me disconnected from the story. It could have been because the main character was Ori, a guy, or it could have been because I was always a solo musician an
WTF Are You Reading?
My Thoughts
This contemporary read was a welcome breath of fresh air after the seeming never-ending influx of wings, fangs, and fur that seem to be the staples of YA at present.
This is the simple story of a boy, his music, his friends, and his brother.

The first half of the book focuses on Orion Taylor, high schooler, lead guitarist for a band that has no name, and younger brother to a golden boy who has lost his shine. The sibling conflict is only eluded to for the first 45% of the book; giving
Kelly Hager
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ori and his band are pretty good. Yes, they're high school students and no, they've never really had a gig before, but still...they're pretty good. (Also, there's the small problem of Ori's stage fright and the fact that they don't have a name...yet.) But even so, he's sure they'll win the Battle of the Bands.

Ori's other problem (no band name and stage fright being the two big ones) is that his older brother Del is home from college. Normally, that'd be great, because Del's his best friend. But
  • DJ Rising
  • Supergirl Mixtapes
  • Lucky Fools
  • Guy Langman, Crime Scene Procrastinator
  • Struts & Frets
  • Tempo Change
  • The Edumacation of Jay Baker
  • Point of Origin (The Survivors, #2)
  • Zero
  • Thou Shalt Not Road Trip
  • Wanted
  • Long Shots: Books 1-3
  • All the Right Stuff
I've been writing since I was a kid but it took awhile to get published-I had to work at improving my craft! Click Here was the sixth novel I'd written, the first to be accepted for publication. It went on to become a bestselling title for the Scholastic Book Fairs/Clubs, won the Colorado Book Award for Young Adult Literature, and was a 2008 Louisiana Reader’s Choice Nominee. I was excited and ner ...more
More about Denise Vega

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
  • This Is Where It Ends
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin