Jump to ratings and reviews

Love? Maybe

Just because Piper's birthday is on Valentine's Day does not mean she's a romantic. In fact, after watching her father and then her stepfather leave, she's pretty sure she doesn't believe in love at all. Then her friends concoct a plan to find them all Valentine's dates, and somehow Piper finds herself with the most popular guy in school. But true love never follows a plan, and a string of heartfelt gifts from a secret admirer has Piper wondering if she might be with the wrong guy.
In this heartwarming romance, true love is more than a maybe - and it might be closer than you think.

272 pages, Hardcover

First published January 5, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Heather Hepler

9 books261 followers
I was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, which I think is one of the cooler places to be born, because initially people think I’m being funny—like I’m saying I was born on the moon, but then they see I’m actually being serious. It feels like since then I’ve lived nearly everywhere (well, only in the US—which is a bummer because I want to travel so much). In high school, I was in band and honors society and science club and worked on the school newspaper. All this in Texas where football was king and cheerleaders were the school royalty. When people ask me what I remember about middle school and high school, I stand there for several seconds not saying anything. This isn’t because I can’t remember anything, but because I remember too many things and I can’t figure out what to say out loud.

I spent the first part of college in Alaska, which was amazing. The first time I saw Northern Lights, I thought I was imagining it. I just couldn’t get my head around the idea that something so beautiful existed in the real world. That’s when I first started writing. This was my bad poetry phase. I think it was the combination of living there with long very cold winters and being in love with a guy that barely knew I existed that made me do it. People ask me all the time if I write poetry. I wish I could and maybe I will someday, but for now I am firmly a fiction writer.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
329 (6%)
1 star
133 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 445 reviews
Profile Image for Joella.
938 reviews40 followers
March 16, 2012
Piper was born on Valentine's Day. She used to love the holiday and her birthday, but since the second divorces of her mother...not so much. She just doesn't believe that real love actually could exist. All she has to do is take a look at how her mother is still in love with her ex husband even though he has moved on and has another girlfriend. Or how about how one of her best friends who just got dumped by her boyfriend of the past year. If she still thinks love is possible she just needs to look next door to see how awful the boy next door feels about the recent divorce of his parents. Even if there is some small hope for love, she can always look at her boss who is yet another single person who blindly believes in love.

But Piper's friends don't want to give up on love. And they don't want Piper to either. So there is a plan for to get all three of them boyfriends in the next two weeks, before Valentine's Day. Piper does not want to go along with it but will if it makes her friends happy (especially the one who just got dumped). So she is doing all sorts of things she doesn't want to do, all in the name of love. To top it all off she is still trying to juggle swim meets, her job at the candy store (which is super busy just before Valentine's Day), watching her younger brother and sister (who are crazy hyper) while her mother is trying to support them with her floral business (which is even more busy since it is almost Valentine's Day).

Then, to top it all off Piper starts to receive gifts from a secret admirer and starts to potentially date the main heartthrob of her school. Now she starts to wonder if there is such a thing as love and what does it really mean?

Okay, I loved this book. And basically there are a few reasons why. Most of it has to do with the fact that I think this book really understands what my view of love is. And it also understands what my view of how a high school girl should act when in love. That being said, if you think you like my ideas of love and you like happy, Valentine's Day type love stories that are clean and stars a girl who doesn't really love chocolate...just go read it. If you need to hear more about why I like this book, read on. Only beware that I will have a few spoilers below!

***SPOILERS***

Okay. So here is the dirt as to why I like this book. She is in high school. She has been hurt by love before. She had two dads who walked out on her family. Life is hard. She knows that, but it is harder when you feel rejected. Also, when she first starts to date Ben (or any of the other guys mentioned that she dated before the story) she found that she thought they were "nice" but that they weren't "the one". Why weren't they Mr. Right? Because she didn't have enough to talk to them about. Because they didn't have enough in common. Because she thought there should be more to love than just that tingly feeling you look at someone you think is cute. I like that. When she does get together with Charlie the things that she admires about him are that he knows her (he knew that she would like a secret admirer gift that was a banana without any brown spots or a jar of peanut butter with a plastic spoon). And at the end when they end up together, she admits that she is still very scared of their new relationship.

"I'm still scared...What if you leave?"

"What if I don't?"

And that is pretty much where we leave off. No kiss. No hanky panky. No love equals something rated more than PG. Just a girl being completely honest with the guy she likes about how vulnerable she feels. She is handing him her heart. There are no promises about loving each other forever. (They are still in high school after all.) But instead is the realization that perhaps love can see all of you (the sick you, the happy you, the depressed you, the stressed you, the cute you, the annoying you, the busy you, the grumpy you, the hurt you, the best-friend you, the amazing you). And that if someone can see all of you, and you still want to be with you, and you still think the world of that person even when you see all the dark sides of him, then perhaps that is love. Love is hard, love is good, love is worth it, love is worth hoping for.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Red_Queen_Lover.
164 reviews42 followers
April 23, 2018
Can't believe I finished this so fast!
This book was such a cute read!! I loved it. It was cutely romantic but nothing super physical. The only physical things that happen are a few hugs and slow dancing. I recommend this book to anyone who's wanting to read a short story about confusing emotions and an oblivious love that came from a friendship.
Comment below!! I'd love some feedback!! <3
Profile Image for Adrienne.
295 reviews38 followers
October 30, 2013
It was light and fluffy but not fun and romantic. It's not the kind of story that I'll be rereading when Happy Hearts' Day comes around - it was sorely lacking in the romance department. The main character was as interesting as a piece of cardboard. Her "secret admirer" wasn't much of a secret, rather, he was as transparent as formaldehyde. And the storyline was capital P-R-E-D-I-C-T-A-B-L-E.

A part of me died from the boredom.

description

The author might've been trying to deliver an enlightening message here about true, unconditional love... but eh, it just entered one ear and went out the other. I can see others finding this book and loving it, but as for me I wouldn't classify it under cutesy teen-romance.
Profile Image for Abbie.
1,525 reviews
April 28, 2013
It was a cute story but I think it was made for a younger audience. I mean I like wholesome books but this was too wholesome --- to the point of becoming boring.

Piper Paisley is a typical love and romance cynic as the result of her mother's two failed relationship. It also doesn't help that her birthday is on Valentine's day and that she works at a chocolate shop. Her friends Claire and Jillian want to cure her of her indifference and set up a plan to use a love potion to get them dates.

Predictably, Piper's crush on swimmer hottie Ben Donovan leads to nowhere because they don't have chemistry. But she continues to receive sweet tokens and treats from a secret admirer. It is revealed to be from her long time best friend Charlie. He gives her hope that love is possible in her life.

Sigh. It was well-written and sweet. But I didn't like Piper very much. She was just so drab. Just because she didn't buy into love and Valentine's didn't mean she had to be boring. Her personality was flat and I wished she would've been more interesting.

But anyone who likes cute love stories will definitely enjoy this book.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for ☆☆Hannah☆☆.
2,906 reviews37 followers
March 3, 2018
This was a decent read. I will admit it was nothing special. I can definitely see why the MC had trouble wanting to find love. With that kind of drama I wouldn't either. Thankfully by the end she was able to change her mind.
Profile Image for Lo.
171 reviews57 followers
September 19, 2012
If someone could recommend me a good young adult book without a slow beginning, I would love you.

Before you read the review, let me just say that this was like a worse version of Sarah Dessen's This Lullaby. Go ahead and check that out.

This book had a lot of potential.

I didn't have too much of a problem with the plot, but I had some issues with the way it was written. I couldn't help but notice how choppy the sentences were. Almost all the sentences started with the same pronoun, and they switched to a different pronoun with a new paragraph. I sort of just started spacing out and counting how many times in a row they used "I".

They also used the word "cynical" about eighty times. I'm sure there could've been some synonyms. Sardonic. Contemptuous. Derisive. Ironic. Misanthropic. I am literally just reading this off a list now. (Not to mention about three characters all started with a J. Was anybody else confused all the time?)

The book wasn't too descriptive either, so I could barely picture any of the scenes or characters. The only thing I could picture was a roof with clothes hangers, but that's it. If I hadn't seen the cover page, I wouldn't even have known what candies Piper had made.

Not to mention this book was somewhat predictable (i.e. whole Charlie situation.) I didn't find myself yearning for Piper to do this, or hoping she's do this, or begging life that this wouldn't happen, because I just knew what was going to happen.

It was also ironic, but not in the amusing way. It was just like, "Oh Piper, you're so cynical," and then all of a sudden she's blushing around Ben Donovan, looking for something right to say. If you're going to make write about a girl who doesn't believe in love, don't have her crushing on someone.
Profile Image for lindsay :).
62 reviews
May 17, 2021
I know why this book was at Goodwill. I probably should’ve done my work instead of read this.

So basically 17 yo Piper doesn’t really believe in love because of all the failed love she’s seen around her. Her friends and her make a love concoction and put it in chocolate to give to their crushes for their “[Valentine] Plan”.

It’s a very light read which I probably would’ve enjoyed when I was like 12 but not a bad book overall.
Profile Image for Mesa .
150 reviews21 followers
January 2, 2012
After reading The Cupcake Queen, I knew I had to get my hands on a copy of Heather Hepler’s new book. Lucky for me I didn’t have to wait long time.

I loved this book.

Piper doesn’t believe in love. Why would she? Two of the men in her life she trusted the most left her behind. First, her father, and then her stepfather. It doesn’t seem to help that her birthday is on Valentine’s Day either.

Piper is a strong main character. She is kind, sweet, caring and sometimes stubborn. I loved Piper. She takes care of her little brother and sister when her mother had to work. It was really refreshing to read about a girl who hates Valentine’s Day because most teenager girls love Valentine’s Day.

Although Piper stood out for me, I loved all characters in this book. They have different personalities, and they are fun to read about. One of the characters I just loved, loved, loved is Charlie. He had a lot of things going on in his life but he wanted Piper to have the best time on her birthday and for her to believe in love again (because she used to believe in love when she was a kid before people in her life disappointed her). I was rooting for Piper and Charlie throughout the whole book, of course. They are cute together but they didn’t see it… well Charlie did, Piper didn’t. Love? Maybe is an easy, quick, fun read that you would read in summer or between dystopian/fantasy books.

I loved how Hepler gave each character in this book different personality. Hepler’s books aren’t only easy, fun reads, but they also offer lessons and that is what I love about her books. I definitely recommend this for everyone because Love? Maybe is appropriate for anyone.
Profile Image for Tiffany.
427 reviews8 followers
July 17, 2013
The best part about this book was that it was clean!! It is hard to find clean teen books. It was thought provoking in a lot of ways. The main character is having to deal with her mother's two divorces and her half brother and sister. I don't like how it implies you have to have a boyfriend but books like this also show a lot about how unhealthy a lot of teen relationships really are.
Profile Image for Jessica.
186 reviews10 followers
February 16, 2016
a fast, cute read. the characters were diverse, Piper's younger siblings were fun, but I could have done with a little less of Piper's friend Jillian.
Profile Image for Desi.
2,611 reviews74 followers
July 9, 2021
**3.25 estrellas

Es un libro bonito, que habla de la amistad, la familia con sus diferentes problemas, como se reflejan tus miedos en las relaciones y como lo afrontas.... y amor? bueno pensé que iba a ser más romántico por el nombre pero solo tuvimos unos pequeños momenticos ya casi al final.. pero para ser YA estuvo bien, fue entretenido y se lee fácil, no se hace pesado ni nada!!

Todos los personajes secundarios me gustaron y fueron importantes en el cambio de Piper.

Esta narrado en primera persona desde el POV de Piper.... y podemos ver un crecimiento en su personaje a nivel emocional, como su cinismo en el amor va cambiando con el transcurso de las páginas., claro la entiendo por ser así y en el libro te hacen saber que hay razones de sobra para ella ser así... igual fue un buen personaje, algo inusual de las que he leído de este genero YA.

Es un libro ameno, con algunas escenas divertidas y para pasar un buen rato!!
Profile Image for Hudson Yan.
93 reviews
December 24, 2022
I have had this book for years, and i mean it because its from the scholastic book fair. I cannot believe i just read it. Literally so good oh my god had me screaming and throwing up. Some parts were super cheesy or unbelievable but i ate it up. I kept imagining Charlie as Tyler from the show wednesday. And for some reason ben donovan was the guy from the kissing booth even though i dont like him.
6 reviews
October 29, 2018
pipers Birthday is on valentines Day. piper thinks that her birthday is not just on a romantic Day because she sees a lot of relation ships fall apart. she thinks that its like every other day normal and her best friend gets heart broken 2 weeks before valentines day and her other best friend has a plan and piper was nice and decided to go help her friend and not go and celebrate her birthday.
2 reviews
March 12, 2022
this book was honestly a good mix between love and family issues combined together. a little boring at times, but really cute
Profile Image for Kristen G.
4 reviews
November 5, 2019
The book was okay. Not the best i have read this schools year. The beginning was really boring, it only got interesting toward the end of the book.
3 reviews
January 20, 2018
This book is really good it’s about how a girl doesn’t like valentines and how everything that happens on that day is dumb
49 reviews
February 28, 2017
Just because you are born on Valentines Day doesn't mean you fantasize over romance. Piper can relate to that in every way possible. Instead of witnessing beautiful relationships she ends up seeing the most ugliest breakups. Her mother still can't get over her second ex-husband AKA Piper's step-father. Every time her eyes fall on him her heart skips a beat but every time Piper see's him her eyes fill with rage. Piper also has witnessed how heartbroken her friend Claire gets when her boyfriend doesn't text her for weeks at a time. As Valentines Day comes closer Piper's friends come up with a plan to find all three of them (Piper, Claire, and Jillian) dates. Piper's conservation hearts intrigue her to the most popular boy in school. Piper is lowly starting to believe i love until a secret admirer puts a string of heartless gifts in her locker every day. It starts to make Piper wonder if she is with the right guy. I recommend this book to people who love to read young adult, romance, contemporary, realistic fiction, and/or women's fiction.
Profile Image for (✿◠‿◠).
411 reviews
May 1, 2012

Overall, this was a cute read that left me feeling happy at the end (which was why I rounded up instead of down).

Piper, our heroine, is a super responsible 16? 17? (idk, we were never told how old she was or what grade she was in) year old. Her mom's a single mother who owns her own business, so a lot of the daily household and parenting duties (to her two young siblings) falls on her shoulders. After her father and stepfather both bailed on her life, she's cynical and jaded when it comes to love. Enter BFF on the scene with a Valentine's plan to get the three friends dates for the big day. It involves some (fake?) magic and some yummy treats. I didn't really get the unexplainable situations behind the whole "magic" situation. It was never touched on after the initial instances, and at the beginning of this book, I was actually wondering if this was supposed to be a paranormal YA. That was one of many things I just didn't get with this book. The intent was there, but the execution was just sort of...lacking.

This was told in first person narration, and while I didn't mind Piper's voice, I also couldn't connect with her very much. The writing style felt choppy and scattered, and it seemed to focus on inconsequential details rather than the important things. (I don't need to know how she got from her bedroom to the car outside and every step in between). Rather than focusing on that, I wish we would've gotten more meat, and I really wish we would've been given some physical descriptions of the characters. We got none.

There was also a whole lot of, "What was that look for?" and cut off sentences where characters didn't finish their thoughts...way too much secrecy and I didn't understand the purpose of it at all. For me, the story came together in the last 10% of the book. I wish we would've had more substance in the rest of the book, and I really wish we would've gotten more Charlie because what tiny little bit we saw of him was great and he had the potential to be super swoony.

...And I just reread what I wrote and realized I said "wish" about 47 times. That pretty much sums it up. I wished for a whole lot more than I got.

All in all, not a bad read, but not something that will stick with me or something I'd reread again.
Profile Image for Britta.
322 reviews54 followers
April 10, 2012
Underrated. That is the adjective that I decided best fits this novel. It deserves way more attention than it has gotten. I really enjoyed this story! Mostly because I loved the main character. And all the supporting characters. And all the characters that were mentioned for about two seconds. Everything about this book is just really likable. It is one of those books that you feel good reading, that you want to keep reading because the environment is like a hug. Even when things aren't so perfect for the characters, there is a warm, cozy place to retreat to.

Piper was born on Valentine's Day, but she'd be the first to tell you that it means absolutely nothing. On a sliding spectrum, she'd be closer to cynic than romantic. But when her best friend's heart gets broken (again - more proof that boys are trouble) she finds that according to the unwritten best friend code, she has to go along with the plan to make everything better. Even if that means finding a date for Valentine's Day...

Anyone who likes YA contemporaries is sure to like this book. It has a great mix of feel good with real life and a pinch of issues to form a most delectable concoction! Oh wait, did I mention like a third of the book takes places in the most awesome sounding candy shop? This book isn't just cuddly- it's sweet! (But maybe that's just because I had to buy a bar of chocolate to continue reading...)

But seriously, this novel is a great read. Perfectly paced and enjoyable, but not fake. The story is light, sure, but there are also darker undertones of divorce, depression and overall heartbreak. I would definitely recommend it.

P.S: Note to Charlie - I do all the voices! (That is in no way sexual.... you'd get it if you read it. Now you want to know, don't you!)
Profile Image for Karen Aguilar.
112 reviews10 followers
September 18, 2016
Me gustaron mucho los personajes, aunque ya veía venir el final, de fácil lectura y entretenido.
Profile Image for Kaitlyn Lew.
14 reviews2 followers
April 3, 2013
Love? Maybe
Penguin Group, 2012
267 Pages
$16.99
Heather Helper
ISBN 978-0-8037-3721-1

Piper's birthday is on Valentine's Day, the day that's just like any other day to Piper. When one of her best friends, Claire, got her heart broken a couple weeks before Valentine's Day, her other best friend, Jillian, came up with a crazy plan to cheer her up and Piper can't do anything except for going along. Piper starts to date one of the most popular guys at school, Ben Donovan. Ben is practically her dream boyfriend. He has everything she is looking for. She's starts to question if the love potion that they created is actually working. But the main question is, who is leaving secret Valentine's gift in Piper's locker? Piper is cynical about relationships and love because she's seen plenty of relationship falling apart. Her biological father and step-father both left her and her mother and that's the reason why she keeps certain people at a distance because she doesn't want to get hurt the way her fathers hurts and abuses her. Jillian tries to prove her wrong with her plan, the love potion. I really enjoy reading this book because while reading, I realized that there was another reason why Charlie, Piper's next door neighbor, was in this book than just being a really close guy friend of Piper. The author made Piper clueless about that so it was kinda interesting to see how Heather plan for Piper to find out.
4 reviews1 follower
October 29, 2015
9/24/15
Love? Maybe.
By Heather Hepler

Piper always told herself that she doesn't want to date, until the most popular guy in school started falling for her, and even before she gives him the love potion. She is always thinking what other girls would do if they were in her situation, getting asked out by Ben Donovan the most popular/hottest guy in school. I have only read half the book at this point but I think that this book is slightly romantic, because she doesn't care for having a boyfriend and her friends are dying to have one, and she's the one getting asked out. It's almost Valentine's Day and Piper and her friends are making a plan to have boyfriends by Valentines Day. Her friends aren't doing so well but Piper is on a role. Piper works at a popular candy shoppe, that's were they got the place to themselves and made the love potion and put it in the truffles to give to guys. Piper doesn't want to believe in magic, but she's been having second thoughts. I think that this is a good book, because it is supposed to be a romantic book , but it's got a slight mystery to it.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts).
696 reviews143 followers
March 11, 2012
"Valentine’s Day is just a capitalist scam, designed to make people currently in a relationship spend unnecessary money in a fruitless attempt to ensure undying love and devotion. For those of us not in a relationship, Valentine’s Day is simply added pressure to identify ourselves within the context of a romantic relationship, whipping us into a frenzy that only the presence of our soul mates can relieve."

This should be perfect for Valentines Day, but sadly Valentines day already passed when I got a copy of this.

Its a funny and cute story. And I must admit that I trully envy Piper's work here. Well, working on a chocolate shop? Making truffles and other sweets? Isn't that a heavenly delight? :) An easy read for those who wants something to read that would make them smile and make their heartstrings tingle. ;)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 445 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.