Start by marking “Solar System: A Visual Exploration of All the Planets, Moons and Other Heavenly Bodies that Orbit Our Sun” as Want to Read:

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Journey through time and space with Solar System, a new and mesmerizing way to experience the magnitude of the universe through fascinating text, original graphics, and stunning photographs captured by space probes, some rarely- or never-before-seen.
Never before have the wonders of our solar system been so immediately accessible to readers of all ages. Award-winning writ
Published October 26th 2011 by Black Dog & Leventhal (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Solar System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solar System

Book
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Solar System: A Visual Exploration of the Planets, Moons, and Other Heavenly Bodies that Orbit Our Sun by Marcus Chown

"Solar System" is the visually stunning book about our solar system. This perfect coffee table book is adorned with hundreds of striking high quality images and graphics and complimented with fascinating facts. Award-winning author and former astronomer Marcus Chown provides the words behind the pictures and educates the public on the awe-inspiring wonders of our Solar System. Th
TRAM School
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very nice book. I love how it explains how the solar system works, and the poster inside. The photos are real, inside and outside the earth's atmosphere and it gives facts about planets, moons, and comets. There is no introduction - it is all real information so I love it. In one other guide, the introduction took up half of the book! Here is one thing: I do not bother reporting on books that have an introduction that takes up more room than the book, so there is no review on the book ...more
Anton Klink
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I truly feel that increased competition from digital media, especially all sorts of tablets, has ushered the paper-based book publishing business into a new era of renaissance. Doing away with traditional layouts, where you had a few small photos inserted among text here and there, and maybe a few separate pages for larger photos, this new layout approach starts with a photo or visual representation of the subject as the main element of almost each page, around which text will then be positioned ...more
Brian Clegg
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We've all seen the book of the movie, and even films based on theme park rides and computer games. But this could well be the first ever book of an iPad app. Not long ago we reviewed the Solar System for iPad app and now we've got the book based on it.

Let's get the downside out of the way first. I can't be as enthusiastic about the book as I was about the app. Not only does it cost three times as much (before discounts) and threaten serious damage to the wrists from its weight, but also the book
Vicente L Ruiz
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very good book, filled to the brim with amazing pictures that I had seldom seen together. It also does include some interesting facts; there are small tidbits of information here and there that I had never read about, but I won't spoil them for you -and they will be different for every one.

It was also fun to find the few instances in which the most recent findings have rendered the book obsolete, such as Pluto's moons, but this is to be expected. Still, the book covers everything in the solar
Shadallark
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shadallark by: Dan
Shelves: non-fiction
Considering its size this book was a quick read. Having not read much about our solar system in more than a decade or two this was a great reintroduction to "local" space.

I would have given the book five stars but it often left me thinking about how much more there was to learn and know about what they were presenting that was simply missing without any suggestions for how to fill in the holes.

Definitely recommend to anyone who has an interest in an introduction to our solar system.
Julesmarie
Spectacular book! 224 pages of gorgeous images and delightful information. I love this, and my students loved looking through it over and over again to show each other their favorite pictures.

Only thing is the binding isn't designed to be passed around a 3rd grade classroom... But that's not big enough of a concern to make this less than 5 stars.
Lauren
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bought this book to read to my 4 year old who loves learning about space and all the planets. Beautiful photos and all around lovely book. Read a little at a time until we were done. Will be fun to revisit in the future and he will get more out of it when he's older. Highly recommended.
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Even if the text was dry and uninformative, which it is most definitely not, the pictures alone would make this a five-star book. An excellent, highly readable introduction to our solar system.
Jessica
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very cool book....Review to follow.....
Dan
Mar 17, 2018
Karen
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stunning images!

Read in conjunction with specific jpl/nasa websites for up-to-date information.
Jay Elliott
Feb 06, 2016
Steve
Nov 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marcus Chown is an award-winning writer and broadcaster. Formerly a radio astronomer at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, he is currently cosmology consultant of the weekly science magazine New Scientist. He is the author of the bestselling Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You, The Never Ending Days of Being Dead and The Magic Furnace. He also wrote The Solar System, the bestselling ap ...more