Start by marking “Losing Beauty” as Want to Read:
Losing Beauty

Losing Beauty

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Child abuse, cross-dressing, theft, adultery—people in Persey Campbell’s town have terrible secrets and she is the unfortunate repository for all of them. What she can’t figure out is why everyone is so desperate to tell her their worst secrets.

Daniel Hartnett is a lawyer who has it all. People think he’s lucky. What they don’t understand is Daniel has a crap-o-meter that
Published (first published May 10th 2011)

May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
From Little Shelf, my blog:

4.5 stars!

What a unique story!

What would life be like if you knew everyone's deepest, darkest secret? What if no matter what you did, when you were alone with someone they were drawn to you and compelled to tell you the worst things about themselves?

That is Persey's reality. It was so awful to have to live that through her! It was like never being able to escape all the bad things in the world. In fact, the leader of The Underworld himself is attracted to her! It's no
Alison DeLuca
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've wanted to read this book for over a year now. Losing Beauty was on my Summer Reading List along with some other books, and I finally found time to get to it. And it was certainly worth the wait!

Persey is a girl who inspires confidences. When people look into her eyes they find themselves telling her everything - EVERYTHING - about themselves. This attracts several boys, primarily Aaron, who wants to put aside his high-school jock image and protect her.

Persey and Aaron get married and move t
Cheryal
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Jo Schaffer
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Johanna Garth brings Greek Mythology into a modern setting in a creative and intriguing way. Her characters are well developed and interesting. The plot kept me turning those pages!

Persey has an unfortunate gift--people are compelled to tell her all of their darkest secrets. They have to confess to her. Disturbed and troubled by this she withdraws into herself. Persey grows tired of feeling used, all she wants is to be loved and listened to herself for once. But she can't prevent the way she att
Scarlett
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Welcome to Persey Campbell's world!

Life will never be the same for her and those she loves, once she's fallen under the spell of Hades, himself. I was immediately drawn into the life of young Persephone, overwhelmed and withdrawn with her gift, until the King of the Underworld sets eyes on her. For the first time in her young life, someone not only understands her but provides a distraction from her worries.

Now all grown up, Persey discovers true love. But she soon finds this one won't be all t
Bookworm
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
About:
When Haden Sarantos arrives in the small town of Iowa claiming he is the new librarian, something is very different about him. He knows when people will die and I wondered if he was the grim reaper.
The beautiful Persephone Campbell is well known in her small home town. She was raised by a single mom, her father having died in a car crash before she was born.
After meeting Persey, the one thing Haden notices right away is that as the ruler of death, he cannot 'see' how she will die. Haden k
Connie Jasperson
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Losing Beauty by Johanna Garth is an urban fantasy in the broadest sense, being a modern take on the Hades - Persephone tale. I am a sucker for mythology of any sort, and Greek mythology offers a lot opportunity for new retellings, as Rick Riordan has shown us in his Percy Jackson Series.

I met Johanna in the course of business since we are both published by Fantasy Island Book Publishing. I was intrigued by the cover of her book, and when I bought the Kindle book I found myself completely absorb
Jessica (a GREAT read)
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author for review

Johanna Garth's Losing Beauty was quite the interesting tale. As you may know I love Greek mythology so when offered to review this one I took it! And it was pretty good too.

The story starts at the very beginning, Persey is a child and basically we go through her life, there's big time jumps, but the point was to see Persey as a small child and see her powers in the beginning. Haden is also there, he takes on different forms by possessing bodies of
Pen-rye-n
I am an absolute sucker for Greek Mythology and Losing Beauty was right up my alley. It's a modern retelling of Hades and Persephone and it holds tight to its roots in many ways, while still managing to be modernized and fresh. It's obsessive and dark and gritty and desperate. It's disturbing, but in an enchanting way. Hades, who goes by Haden, is ruthless in his pursuit of Persey, but at the same time, I liked him. I crushed him hard. Maybe I wasn't supposed to, but I did. He's not a romantic, ...more
Alyssa
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, pnr, mythology
4/5
I enjoyed the book, but I must admit the ending left me going: "What?! It's over?!" The ending just did not seem to do the wonderful story justice. However, despite that one concern, I was overall entertained by the story.

Persephone "Persey" Campbell is the main character of this modern retelling of Hades and Persephone. Persephone has a certain gift (or curse, however you would like to view it). People are drawn to her -- not for her beauty, but out of a need to tell her their deepest and da
Silvia
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Losing Beauty” is everything a modernization of this myth should be: dark, alluring, mysterious, horrifying, intriguing, complex, terrible and so incredibly good. There’s Persephone, the inhumanly beautiful mortal who has a very strange irresistible power and there’s also Haden, king of the Underworld, unscrupulous, merciless and overwhelming. I love how these two are portrayed, the darkness inside Persephone answering to the call of Haden’s darkness. This has a good dose of Stockholm’s Syndrom ...more
Big Book Theory
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Persey (Persephone) Campbell has a darkness within her that attracts normal people to her like a moth to a flame. Without being able to help themselves they tell her their most intimate secrets. Persey never liked this and thus avoided people as best she could.
Daniel Hartnett is a lawyer who has it all. Except now he'd like to meet someone and settle down. When Daniel meets Persey he discovers the first girl he's ever met who is immune to his special talent.
Haden is the king of the Underworld wi
Ariel Wilson
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
True rating is more of a 4.5 or 4.7 out of 5.

What an awesome book.
I have taken an adoration for Greek mythology, with the tale of Hades and Persephone being one of my favorites. This gives such a wonderful and unique retelling of the old myth.
Perfect balance of dark themes, romance and suspense, it's a book I couldn't stop reading.
I can't adequately put into words how happy I am to have found a story that hit the themes it was trying to get across with such precision. Each character was unique a
Megan Hartman
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Losing Beauty is a modern day retelling of the Persephone and Hades myth (and boy am I a sucker for retellings of myths) with some twists. The first in what is to be the Persephone Campbell trilogy certainly left me ready for more. This is a story that is at its core a struggle of good and evil on all scales. It is also full of mystery, intrigue, and romance. In the end you are still left with questions pulsing through you, and all I wanted was to pick up the next book and fin ...more
Teresa
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Had me hooked from the first page. Johanna Garth knows how to tell a story! The pacing was steady--it never let up. The character development was good, and the story was engaging. I would put this book beside Stephen King's books on my bookshelf, and am inclined to add this: sometimes, when I finish a book that has consumed me (like "Losing Beauty" did) I feel a letdown when I come back to the real world--stop suspending my disbelief. But, like many of King's book made me feel, I felt a sort of ...more
Hart Johnson
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! This story is a modern retelling of the Hades/Persephone story and reads a little like a myth in tone, but with modern situations, characters and problems (opportunities!). Normally I don't like a character that EVERYONE is drawn to, but for poor Persey, the draw of people... the need it gives them to confess their secrets, is such a heavy burden that she is sympathetic. I really liked the twists and turns and stayed engaged all the way through.
Jaybird
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that you can't put down. It grabs you from the first page and holds you in its grip until the last. Love, loss, suspense, and the very best and worst of human nature are all represented in this break-out novel from Garth. I loved every minute of it and can't wait to read the sequel, to find out what happens to Percey next!
Magdalena
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-ebooks
I loved every word of it. I read it almost in one go. Couldn't work, sleep or walk. Thankfully, I survived walking with my eyes stuck to tiny letters on my iPhone not minding the traffic or other possible dangers. Even if I would have suffered from twisted ankle it would have been worth it.
the book draws you to itself and keeps you heart pounding with hunger for more.
Brittany's Readin
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of Greek mythology this book is probably for you. I am in love with the story of Hades and Persephone so I have a tendency to read anything I can find with their names within. Tough this book isn't well known it brings a wonderful twist to the aspect of the love affairs Gods and Goddesses. Loved it!
Nicki Elson
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was drawn into this story from page one. I greatly enjoy this author's writing style - it's smooth and almost mystical, giving the entire novel and its intriguing characters an ethereal feel. The descriptions of light and evil are so, so compelling. I often felt legitimately afraid when Haden would creep his way back onto the pages.
Lori
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindel-book-read
I enjoyed the story so much that I had to order the next one right away. I want to know what is happening next with the charicters. Losing Hope was already available to download. Love that you can want to read on and it will load to the kindel in minutes to continue reading.
Isabelle
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Very original take on the myth!
Jillian
Jul 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
While this book had a strong and interesting start I lost interest quickly. I didn't like the main character's disconnectedness.
Liz
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Better than I expected.
Winter
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
It was okay, neither great nor horrible. Rather odd at times and more than a little confusing. But I was compelled to finish it to find out what happened to Persey.
Jill
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ridiculously long. Fantastic premise but it was filled with so much unnecessary things.
Leanne
Nov 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Morganville Vampires, #1-11
  • Captured
  • Tsunami Blue (Tsunami Blue, #1)
  • Black Numbers, Edition One
  • Lost in Italy
  • Sin
  • The Devil's Kitchen (Crown Phoenix, #2)
  • In Cassie's Corner
  • Dayling
  • The Brigand Bride (Dangerous Masquerade Collection, #1)
  • The Nightman
  • Emeline and the Mutants
  • Brother Betrayed
  • Soul Catcher (Dueling with the Devil #1)
  • Fated Hearts
  • Werewolf Sanctuary (Wolf Maiden Chronicles, #1)
  • The Last Good Knight (Billy's Revenge #1)
  • Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)
Johanna Garth is a novelist and essayist. She is the author of two published novels, and many, many unpublished ones. Most recently, her essays have appeared in Soapbox Literary Review and The Stonecoast Review.
More about Johanna Garth

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99