Start by marking “Meet Franklin Bean” as Want to Read:
Meet Franklin Bean

Meet Franklin Bean

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
John is worried about adapting to his new life after his mother lost her job. With the influence and inspiration from his new friend, Franklin Bean, John finds a smile on his face once again. This magical little dog, full of surprises, will keep your imagination wondering; leaving you eager to read more Franklin Bean.
Published March 1st 2011 by Emmy Swain

To ask other readers questions about Meet Franklin Bean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Franklin Bean

Juanita
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Meet Franklin Bean covers a host of current issues including bullying, single parenting, job loss and safety. I bought it for my granddaughter and her friend so they could read and share the journey of knowing a book together. (Much like we do here)

My granddaughter loved it as much as I knew she would. This is a book about real hard problems in life and tossed in the mix is Franklin Bean who adds a dimension of what we HOPE would happen and you can't help but feel good when you finish.

Rachel
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is available in paperback and on Kindle. I read and reviewed the Kindle version.

This children's book, by Emmy Swain, is about John, a young boy who has to move to a smaller house in a new, unknown area with his mother, after her loses her job and has to take a lesser paid one. John is scared, and feels isolated and alone. One day, he meets a small dog, who stops him from crossing a busy main road near his house to get to the beach. This dog is very friendly, his name is Franklin Bean..
Mary Findley
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Meet Franklin Bean" is a children's fantasy chapter book by Emmy Swain, illustrated by Levi Whitworth. I reviewed this book for the
author and she provided me with a pdf copy without compensation and asked for an honest review. I am a mother of three, former teacher, and children's book author.

Franklin Bean deals with real, important issues that affect children
and their families, everything from unemployment, moving to a new town, bullies and how a child feels about all these pressures.

John m
Amanda
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fun read, but it's not a fluffy book. The book addresses the economy, bullying, and change. I think this book will appeal to school-age children, mainly because the subject-matter is a little heavier than pre-schoolers are prepared to sit through. I read it to my 3-year-old, and about 75% of the way through, he told me to stop because the talking dog scared him*. (We might have had better luck had we been reading a physical book rather than an ebook. After all, Blue's Clues books and s ...more
Brenda New
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story that deals with real life situations. John's mom lost her job and now they have to move. Their life is changing and it is very hard for both of them to adapt, especially John. Franklin Bean becomes his friend and life begins to change. Anyone who has ever loved a child or a dog needs to read this heart warming story. This would be a great book for parents, teachers, guidance counselors and psychologist.
Justin
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my nephew and I enjoyed it as much as he did. I think its great timing for the release of this book with the changes many are currently experiencing. It will make you laugh, smile and learn about treating people the way you want to be treated. You will be pleasantly suprised.
Hereta
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful and refreshing story. It was just so adorable and I felt like a kid reading this book. It's especially touching to me since Franklin Bean is a Boston Terrier. My favorite breed!
Michael Findley
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review of Franklin Bean by Emmy Swain ã 2011
My wife agreed to review this children's book and asked me to read it for some additional input. It only took about 15 minutes, so it was a nice change of pace. She also asked our daughter, a college senior, to read it. After giving a few comments, I went on to other things. I disagreed with some things our daughter said and my wife suggested that I write my own review. I have no idea if children would find this interesting, but I was interested. Since
Magda
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
John is a 10 years old boy who has just moved to a new neighbourhood after his mom lost her job. John is going through all the fears any child would experience while moving to a new house (I remember how I did when my parents decided to move from a big city to a small town.)
The thing John is the most afraid of is that he won’t be able to find any new friends. While hanging around the park he decides to cross a very busy street but luckily is saved by Franklin Bean. Franklin Bean is a lovely talk
Sharon
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Meet Franklin Bean” by Emmy Swain

This is an amazing children's book. The book is about a young boy named John. His mother moves the family to a new town due to her job. While exploring his new area John starts to go to the beach but as he is crossing the street he hears a voice telling him to be careful. Looking around and only seeing a dog near him, John realizes it was the dog he heard. Franklin Bean, the dog, introduces himself and shortly afterwards John and his mom adopts the dog.

The story
Emmy Swain
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
An excellent review on B&N from an elementary school teacher:
Posted May 11, 2011, 5:18 PM EST:
Franklin Bean is Outstanding (5 stars) Customer Rating
I am not a dog lover, in life or literature, but I fell in love with Franklin Bean. The story has imagination galore and the illustrations are colorful as well as appropriate with the written word on the page. Franklin Bean gives the reader lessons on life and how anyone reading this book, whether young or old, can learn something new. This boo
Kasper
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this story to my 6 year old.
A boy named John moves to a new town and has a little difficulty fitting in and making friends. He is befriended by a dog who has super powers of which John is unaware. I like how a 10 year old offered to get a job to help his mum out.
It's a really cool little story, great for middle grade students to read and for reading to younger children.
This was the 3rd book I read and it's great that each one stands alone. We really liked the pictures,
Katrina Williams
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This children's book focuses on issues that affect children of all ages. Franklin Bean is a cute talking dog that helps a young boy named John deal with being lonely after moving to a new town. Franklin Bean shows John how to handle some of the pressures of his young life. There are some good messages in this book that teach children about topics that affect them today.

The colorful illustrations are appealing, not only to me as an adult, but also to young readers who will be drawn into the story
Katie
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read for children. It shows realistic issues that are faced in everyday lives everywhere.

Meet Franklin Bean is a beautifully illustrated book that covers bullying, dangers about crossing the road, building courage to find new friends, moving house & single parent family worries.

My son loved the illustrations & the story about a boy finding a dog that becomes his best friend. Now he is asking if we can get a dog too!

Can't wait to read more about Franklin Bean and Pan
Al Boudreau
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't have children myself, but I'm a huge advocate of encouraging kids to fall in love with books. Therefore, I try to set aside some time each week to spend reading to children. Meet Franklin Bean is a story that completely lights up a child's face when read. It contains valuable lessons that deal with responsibility, bullying, manners, and friendship, among other topics. The artwork contained within is also excellent, and translates quite well to the e-reader platform. I highly recommend th ...more
Judi Coltman
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful early reader for either a boy or girl. The author introduces a new twist on the talking animal theme by giving the main character, Franklin Bean, super hero powers. With Franklin Bean, his boy ,John, is able to overcome the difficulty of moving to a new house, new neighborhood and new school and teach others about good and responsible social behavior.

A nice first chapter book. Recommend for parents, teachers, elementary school librarians and all kids.
Dannie Hill
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Author Emmy Swain has written a book any child would enjoy reading or having it read to them. It's about moving and meeting new friends-- not always easy. Franklin Bean makes it easy for John with a few unexpected surprises. In the words of Franklin Bean- Cool Frijoles!

The beautiful illustrations make this book all the more interesting!
Dana
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a cute story! Modern day super hero with a twist. Great choice for a first chapter book read for beginning readers. Important topics from bulling, being the new kid, the effect of the poor economy in the U.S. on our children and friendship. I definite recommend for ages 6 to 10. Can't wait to see what Franklin Bean is upto next and plan to purchase the book for my niece. :)
Emmy Swain
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrote
C Cutler
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
gave this to a friend for her grandson and he loves the book
Yelania Nightwalker
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, kids
Wow! Una historia adorable, a pesar de lo pequñita que es me ha encantado y la disfruté muchísimo. Vale la pena.
Rev to come
Jason Kent
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I love the superdog and will look out for more to come.
Jeff
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my son all the time and he really enjoys it and wants to know when the next one is coming.
Richelle
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!! I can't wait for the next one! Definitely a book for every age!
Cornelia DeDona
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really cute story! Enjoyed the expression "cool beans" catchy!
Renee
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Here's my daughter's review (she's 9) and my review (the Mom). Check out all our reviews at our website, Mother Daughter Book Reviews.

DAUGHTER SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it:

I liked that the book had chapters, pictures, and not too many pages, but a lot of words. I don’t normally like stories that have talking animals (unless they are cats) because I’m an older kid, but younger kids might really like it. It was kind of odd that the super-hero was a dog because it would normally be a pe
Crystal
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My children and I really enjoyed this book. Beautifully written and the illustrations my children loved.

This book is about a ten year old boy named John. His mom moves them to another town. He hates it because everything's different.

He decides to walk to the beach and he starts to cross the road when a voice tells him not to. He looks and finds the voice belongs to a dog. The dog introduces himself as Franklin Bean.

He takes Franklin Bean home and his mom let's him keep the dog.

The next day they
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a short chapter book with great illustrations. The story is about a young boy, John, who has to relocate with his mother who just lost her job. He is nervous about moving to a smaller house in a different neighbourhood and having to change schools. When he finds a stray dog, Franklin Bean, that can talk, his life begins to look better. And the dog has another amazing secret that - in this book - John hasn't figured out yet.
Meet Franklin Bean has some life lessons in it, and is a good st
Kim
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a cute story. John is ten, his mom has lost her job and they have to move. John is worried he won't find any new friends. He meets Franklin Bean a dog and things start to look up with his help. Sweet story.
Tom Robinson
May 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Emmy Swain believes in the magical power of animals to heal and guide the human spirit.

Emmy's creativity was poured into music as a child and young adult. It then spilled into inventing, and eventually into writing. Life lessons linked with fantasy create a book series that any age will enjoy. Emmy has captured this in a world of her own.

The Franklin Bean series was born out of her conversations