Start by marking “Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear? sound book” as Want to Read:
Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear? sound book

Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear? sound book

(Bill Martin's Bears #2)

A new edition of this all-time favorite children's tale to delight children and parents alike. Bill Martin's playful story introduces a parade of rowdy zoo animals, all illustrated in Eric Carle's instantly recognisable, clean, crisp style. A perfect addition to this fun, noisy tale is a ten button sound panel. As each new animal appears on the bright, colorful pages, chil ...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published November 8th 2011 by Priddy Books (first published January 28th 1982)

Be the first to ask a question about Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear? sound book

Sean Gibson
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vastly superior to Brown Bear, Brown Bear (in my humble opinion), and infinitely more entertaining when read to you by a 2-year-old who conflates the two and starts saying things like, "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, what do you see? I see a hippopotamus snorting at me."

It's been suggested that this is evidence of the deep state's inherent distrust of autocratic authority, but I have yet to see any reliable scholarship or intel to confirm that supposition.
D. Pow
Jul 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brendan-s-shelf
The key to reading this one out loud is getting into character as the animals. You've got to roar like a lion, growl like a polar Bear and hiss like a Boa Constricter. You've got to commit, go Old school Stanislavski like a young Brando. Be the frigging snake. Be the Bear. little Ones Dig it. And when you are phoning in the performance they will know that too. THEY WILL MAKE YOU PAY. So don't phone it in.

I think one key to Carle's success is his his wonderfully inventive and eye-pleasing palette
Brad
5 stars for Eric Carle's art.
1 star for Bill Martin Jr.'s words.
= a grudging average of 3 stars.

I tried, D. I fully committed to the animals, man. I was like Robert deNiro shooting heroin for Raging Bull. I gained weight to play the purple walrus (how the hell am I going to lose it?). I painted myself with gentian violet, grew a handlebar mustache, jammed a couple of carrots under my lip and flopped around grunting.

I poured honey all over myself and rolled in flour to play the titular Polar Bear
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2017, kids
Delightful read aloud. New rule: if you read the same book to a small child more than 20 times in one day, it counts toward your GoodReads challenge. ;)
Amy
I grabbed this because I was doing story time and Brown Bear was missing.

Pro-tip do not take this into storytime unless you know what a flamingo and a peacock sound like.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
I was surprised at how much my kids laughed at this book -- I think they decided all the words for animal noises (bray, hiss, snort, etc.) were pretty funny sounding, and I guess I'd have to agree. This is certainly my favorite "Brown Bear" sequel. The illustrations are great, as usual, and of course we can count on Eric Carle to not make *all* of the animals normal colors, considering the magenta walrus at the end. ;-)
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Just as lovely as the first book!
Kimberly
Cute! I'm surprised I haven't read this one before. I used it for a zoo-themed family storytime on 10/9/18. Lots of good vocabulary words for little people: yelp, bellow, flute, etc.
Jazzmarie Vedrine
This book is exciting to read and while reading, you may find that the characters of the animals create a rhythmic sound. You could easily create a melody or make this book into your own sing-a-long that will engage the children into the characters and movement of these zoo animals. The words written on each page are catchy, easy to read and easy to remember for young children. Another thing is the bold colors and the different designs and shapes of these animals.

CREATIVE EXPERIENCE:
One of the
Michaela
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Is a fabulous book for getting children used to rhythmic words. I have read this book lots of time to children and they always enjoy repeating the story with me. It is very good in encouraging drama and role-play skills; I have used it in a cross-curricular way incorporating it in a PE lesson getting the children to pretend that that they are the different animals in the story, and to move around like them. The pages in the story are mostly taken up by s ...more
Kat
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic plot: animals and the sounds they make.

Ok, Eric Carle's art is interesting, but I don't find it to be phenomenal. There are some good words in the text to describe the sounds animals make, but they are hard to reproduce when reading to a small child if you've never actually heard the sounds in question. Matter of fact, I would have rated this a solid 2 and moved on, BUT... my son picked up on the pattern of the pages and started chiming in to read the story with me after just a few pages.
Melissa
E: "I don't like how it's kind of like a song."
Christina Mallory
Text-To-Text Connection
This book is closely connected to Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? Although in this book the animals are describing what they hear it is still a connection between what the animals see in Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Being able to identify what the animals hear from the way something sounds they are using one of their five senses. In the story, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, the animals are using another one of their five senses which if to see.
Zezinho
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"are you want you want a book a book a book a book I like the book hey Bam!" -actual review
Kim Cesario
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zack, 2018
Cute book..my son loves trying to push the buttons and hear the sounds of the different animals!
Avi’s Dad
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 3 month old son seemed to think this was a very exciting story.
Delia
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the vibrant colors used in the illustrations for this book! The simplicity and rhymes make this book perfect for a toddler classroom. I think that this book would encourage children to engage in acting out the animal sounds of each animal pictured in the book. While reading this story out loud I would emphasize the characteristics of each animal. This book would also be a easy story for a child to memorize, which makes the read a loud even more fun and interactive!
Kelly Lin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was great that inside of the book it have many different animal. It is a good way for kid to learn different kind of animal. Also kid can use their imagination to guess the sound of each animal.
Jaylyn
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal Reaction: A great beginners books! Another one of my favorite books growing up, I believe these types of beginners books are awesome because they have lasted for so many years that it makes me as a teacher really want to have students read them. Students anywhere from 4 to 5 or 6 would enjoy this book.

Reading in groups: This book could be fun to read in a group because it is asking a question. This could get the students involved and have them asking their neighbor what they think the P
Heather
If my 2-yr-old rated this he'd give it a 5. But he can't type so I'm giving it a 3. Love the illustrations. The "hear" part was a bit weird for me - "I hear a boa constrictor hissing at me", or whatever animal making whatever noise. Weird, but I can deal. I can't deal with the end. I hate it. The zookeeper then hears all these kids making the animal noises and they're dressed up like the animals, sort of. It's freaky. And my son looks at those strange kids and wonders what the heck they're doing ...more
Kirran
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a range of zoo animals and their distinctive sounds.The polar bears can hear a roaring lion. The lion can hear a hippopotamus snorting in his ear.The hippopotamus can hear a flamingo fluting in his ear. The flamingo can hear a zebra braying in his ear. The sounds are being imitated by the children for the zoo keeper.

This book is ideal for nursery children.It is repetitive and contains rhyme.The text is very simple so it is easy for the children to memorize it. The book also p
Lori Nii-amassah
I believe “Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?” is a book that all children will love. The colors used are vibrant and eye catching. With each new animal introduced, the same question is repeated. Children can participate by asking the question and making the animal sounds.

You could extend this book by having the children work together to put story pieces in the correct order according to the book.
Courtney
Caleb has been reading this in preschool so we have obtained a copy for ourselves. What can I say it is Bill Martin? I love his work!!! It is simple, easy to read, and both my children love him. I read him when I was growing up and I am sure my grandchildren will be as well. You can take so much from these books just besides reading but art crafts, but cooking and other fun things to do.
Hope
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, listening
This Bill Martin Jr. Is great for working with young children's listening skills! I have always enjoyed reading this story in a soft, quiet voice so that the children can focus on what they're hearing and need to listen for in the story's sequence.
Annette Taylor-james
In this book the children love to make the sound of each animal, it teaches language skills and motor skills we pretend to be all the animals in the book roaring and stomping and all the other actions and sounds that goes with each animals. We did our own adaptations.
J
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to a 4k group. One child immediately made the association with Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? We had a lot of fun with this book. The kids got so excited I had to calm them down in order to keep reading at one point. Great book.
Jennifer Hadley
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-learning
This is a nice book for pre-k classrooms. It teaches about the animals noises. It has great repetition so that the students can join in on the reading. The illustration are nice and colorful, as well. Children will love to memorize this one and read it over and over again!
Shannon
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chidderbooks
It's weird that me of the past rated Brown Bear 5 stars and this one 2 stars. Guess you don't fuck with a classic.
Aaliyah
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aaliyah requested that we read, "Brown Bear, Brown Bear," so I got this book, and, "Baby Bear, Baby Bear," too. She loves them all! :)
Manuela
Mommy: one of my faves!! 5 stars!

Leila: 4 stars I like it a little bit. I liked the end of the story.

Maxwell: 1 Star. I didn’t like it as much. I liked all the children playing.

• From Head to Toe
  • In the Tall, Tall Grass
  • If You Take a Mouse to School
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Hello, Day!
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
  • Trains
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more

Bill Martin's Bears (4 books)
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?