Start by marking “Rock Star” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  4,418 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Music was their business - pleasure was their game.
Rock Star
blows the lid off the hard-driving lifestyles of today's music superstars.

Kris Phoenix - The legendary and wildly sexy guitar hero,

Bobby Mondella - Black soul superstar with a past,

Rafealla - An exotically beautiful girl who comes between them with a vengeance.

Rock Star takes you on a dangerous trip through the j
Published 1988 by Pan Books (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Rock Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock Star

Aղցela W.
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a bitter sweet read for because Ms. Collins lost her battle with cancer a day after I bought a couple of her books. This book was well written like all of the books that I have read by Ms. Collins with no errors in grammar or spelling. This book was good and I may or may not have read it years ago I can't remember. Three rock star the story starts with an impending event in 1987 involving 3 of the world's biggest musicians. It then goes back and tells each of their stories one of the co ...more
Cevat Sucu
Jul 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
forests can be saved by not publishing these shits
Sati Marie Frost
I read this entire book in one afternoon. 450-some pages of glorious tackiness. It was a good way to spend a day off. :)

Rock Star chronicles the rise to fame of three singers: Bobby Mondella, a smooth soul singer who's trying to make a comeback after being blinded in an accident; Rafealla, an overnight sensation with a sultry lounge-singer's voice; and Kris Phoenix, rock idol second only to Springsteen.

The book is set in the afternoon and evening of a big party where the three protagonists are p
Biswaranjan
Nov 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, erotic
This is not the type of book I usually read, but it was my early days into reading and my librarian ma'am at my college suggested me that i should read it. At that point of time i was bit curious having gotten a suggestion from a person who happens to be a librarian. But then after having read it i realized it was quite the opposite of what i was expecting. I found a several parts of the book, including the ending, to be a predictable and lame. Not what the synopsis was suggesting but it does co ...more
Samantha
I read this when it first come out. I found a copy recently and decided to re-read. I hope it is as good as I remember...

All done and I glad I read it again. It is strange the things I remember and don't remember from reading it the first time, but then again that was over 20 years ago. A great potboiler/beach read.
Zhuojun
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A tale of jerks who don't think they are jerks because they become famous jerks. About two hundred pages too long and five thousand characters too many.
Lesley
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Look, the characters are Teddy Pendergrass, Sade and Rod Stewart. They might go by other names but that is who they are based on. The book is an easy read but is one of Collins' weaker works. None of the characters are all that interesting and in the end, you don't care who survives the hostage situation in the music mogul's house. For a better Jackie Collins novel which involves a musician, get Lovers and Gamblers. It is sooooo much more interesting with much more interesting characters-Al King ...more
Leonore
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was given this book and told to give her books a chance. I couldn't stand the way she wrote it. Jumping around with different characters and different years kept confusing me. All I got was a headache. I haven't and won't read anything else by her.
Nazia
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love! Love! Love! It's an amazing story of three superstars from three different backgrounds and their rise to fame - the ups and downs they went through and the troubles that came as a cost to their fame. The accurate depiction of the lifestyle of the Superstars of the 80's was also very thrilling. Jackie Collins has a knack of attracting the readers and trap them between the pages of her book. I just could not let the book down until I could grasp every minute details of Rafealla, Bobby Mondel ...more
Book Addict Shaun
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I was unsure about this one as the blurb on the back didn't really excite me. I needn't have bothered worrying however as after a few chapters I was hooked. Another fantastic read featuring another outrageous cast of characters. I did feel the story was a bit short despite the book being just under 500 pages long. It was written in the style that I like however. Alternating chapters and the obligatory Jackie Epilogue at the end telling us what happened to each of the characters. I felt Rafaella' ...more
Blagica
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This was a bitter sweet read for because Ms. Collins lost her battle with cancer and she is one of the authors who sparked my love for books. One of the first books I read in high-school was American Star and it's still one of my favorite reads. This book was well written like all of the books that I have read by Ms. Collins with no errors in grammar or spelling. This book was good and I may or may not have read it years ago I can't remember. Three rock star the story starts with an impending ev ...more
Ria
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully racy AND raunchy book set amidst the lives of the rich and famous of the rock world.
Kris Phoenix a British musician has taken the rock world by storm and aims to capture America as the ultimate goal but many obstacles stand in his way.
Bobby Mondella like Kris has climbed to the top from nothing, originally known as the plump child star "Sweet little Bobby" he threw off that moniker and rose to become a fantastic black soul superstar.
Rafaella had a privileged upbringing but still wa
Rick Brindle
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I remember reading this back in the day,and I loved it. Now, it's still good, but perhaps not so. It's a story about three musicians, Kris Phoenix, Bobby Mondella, Rafaella, and how their lives intertwine, building towards the confrontation at the end.
Perhaps things get less racy over time, but I didn't find the story very shocking, it was a very humdrum rock and roll tale. Maybe it's all been said before. And I have to say, JC's heroines, Rafaella in this case, are perhaps not too brainy. Stuck
Heather Nichol
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is not the type of book I usually read, but I found it to be very enjoyable. I love the way the author was able to transition between characters. When the book spoke about the goings-on of one character, the writing took on the tone and attitude of that character.

The story starts with an impending event in 1987 involving 3 of the world's biggest musicians. It then goes back and tells each of their stories, interweaving them. Many authors will try to do this but it doesn't work out. Jackie
Britt Griffith
This book was way more enjoyable than I figured it would be. This Jackie Collins novel follows the life of Bobby, Kris, and Rafaella, 3 talented singers, all with secrets and issues with their past. The story goes back and forth between the present (a party thrown by their record company exec) and the past as the singers' careers develop. Collins does a good job of building suspense for readers as we learn why the singers hate the exec so much.

My complaints about the book are that there are too
Juhi Davda
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it
i love reading about the harsh realities of the life of the rich & the famous(well this is fictional, but still not exactly away from reality, isn't it?), and who better than the queen of sassy and glamorous romance, Jackie Collins?
The book lived up to expectations in every way.
of course the story gets farcical, imbecile and cliched, as expected, but was still super fun and relishing with all the dark scandals and shallow mysteries.
i like her writing style, unique, sensual and witty. she alw
Tracy
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I was given a couple of Jackie collins books this weekend and as its been about Twenty years since I've read anything by this author decided to read them straight away. Rock Star was an enjoyable read that kept my attention although I felt I knew where the story was going from the first chapter. I imagine this book would be a good holiday read, it is a typical trashy romance perfect for reading next to a pool.
Anne Marie
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a good, typical, Jackie Collins book. I liked how the book kept going back and forth from the present to the past, ending up with the three main rock star characters coming together in the end. No surprises...the lives of one English rock star, a soul-jazz singer, and a female singer were intertwined. The stories kept me interested, and at times were exciting.
Stasha
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what I expected once again from Jackie Collins -- scandal, mystery and fun! I won't condone the bad behavoiur of the characters of course...

I like Ms. Collins' writing style. Using flashbacks. I think it gives an understanding of the main characters' pasts and why the turned out the way they did. I was very pleased with the cliffhangers and the eventful turns of events : )
Brandon Van der Windsor
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really fun read. Set in the world of the music biz, Rock Star tells the story of three singers and their connection to a billionaire record exec. It's got some fantastic twists and turns as it jumps from character to character.

It's one of my favorite Jackie Collins books and it's one you'll want to read when you're looking for a great soapy story during TV's summer hiatus.
Mary
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it was just what I was looking for-fast moving and shallow. It tracks a man's life from start to when he performs for a rich person. There is a sub plot about robbery. I thought part of the ending was somewhat disappointing. **spoiler alert** I mean, I was routing for the robbers to get a way with it. Other than that, it was a great summer read.
Glyn Moses
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun Collins romp set in the world of music. British rocker Kris Phoenix is decadent and sexy and Collins manages to weave three storylines about three dynamic musicians....along, in classic Collins style, with a murder and a lot of sex.
Cicci Harström
Det här inte något direkt litterärt mästerverk. Men dock väldigt underhållande om man vill tillbaka till det glada och glamorösa 80-talet i Hollywood. Här är det lyx, champagne och sex som gäller! Plus intriger och åter intriger. Givetvis lite förutsägbar, men vad gör det?
Sue Dawson
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
You know what to expect when you read Jackie Collins, this was true to style, the story built up to a final event which could have been better, but reading about the wild ways of the "rock stars" in the story was revealing in the least!
Misti Rainwater-Lites
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm being honest, fool! I love me some Jackie Collins. This book isn't great literature, obviously. It's junk food for the brain. I couldn't put this book down. I devoured it in a single day (if I remember correctly)...and it's THICK!
Tonia Reva
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Guilty pleasure!

I've read this book multiple times and each time I love it just as much as I did before. My favorite part about reading Jackie Collins is trying to figure out what real life celebrity her characters are based on.

Cissy
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is as good as I remembered it being. I love how she intertwines the lives of these "Stars". It gets a bit racy at times with the language and racy scences but the plot is solid and doesn't dissappoint.
Melisa
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one! Loved the character names, and "the screwin you get is not worth the screwin you'd get" quote is one that amused me because I know someone who uses a version of that all the time....
Alena Alasheeva
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun beach read
Verity
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this a long time ago but I remember i like it.
Jackie Collins Fans: Rock Star 1 4 Nov 15, 2012 12:40AM
  • Spring Collection
  • Star Quality
  • Lace
  • The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4)
  • Between Friends
  • Pandora's Box
  • Bad Girls
  • Kiss Across Chains (Kiss Across Time #3)
  • Inheritance
  • Once Is Not Enough
  • Broken
  • The Lonely Lady
  • Switcheroo
  • Sins
  • Everything and More
There have been many imitators, but only Jackie Collins can tell you what really goes on in the fastest lane of all. From Beverly Hills bedrooms to a raunchy prowl along the streets of Hollywood; from glittering rock parties and concerts to stretch limos and the mansions of power brokers-Jackie Collins chronicles the real truth from the inside looking out.

Jackie Collins has been called a "raunchy
More about Jackie Collins...