Start by marking “Road Work Ahead” as Want to Read:
Road Work Ahead

Road Work Ahead

When a family sets out on a trip to Grandma's, their journey proves to be more like a visit to a construction site. Sidewalks are being poured, streetlights repaired, roads resurfaced. The noise of jackhammers, whistles, and horns fills the air. Boys and girls alike will love seeing the big machines at work. Anastasia Suen's simple text and Jannie Ho's bright, up-beat ...more
Published September 15th 2011 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

Start your review of Road Work Ahead
Jane G Meyer
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Roads, traffic, signs, ice cream trucks, chickens. This book, with its few words, takes you on a silly journey through a busy town. There's enough color and wackiness that both girls and boys will like paging through this story. I have to admit, the chicken, that you can spot about half way into the story is my favorite...

My son is a beginning reader and this was a fun change from his everyday reading books. Very little text to negotiate...
Hockey Mama
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short simple story.
But if you have kids that like trucks and cars, this is a great book.
The illustrations are what drew my boys into the story. They are really well done.
There is a chicken on almost every page, along with some ducks that seem to follow the boy, his dog, and mama to grandma's house.
Different construction vehicles engaged in different "Road Work" along the way.
We really enjoyed it.
Christina
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We picked up this title at a thrift store and it has only been more treasured as the months have passed. Great read aloud. This author has multiple titles that are repeat reads for our family.
Heather
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute books. My boys love for me to read it over and over
Rosa Cline
Even though the illustrations sometimes is overwhelming, they are adorable. This is a very basic, simple story of a little boy going to his Grandma's house for cookies. Along the way the story points out the various things that happen (which by the way if all this happened on my trip to my Mother's I think I would turn around and go back! hehe) Construction workers with jack hammers, ducks crossing the road, pole lights being put up, log trucks, concrete being poured, lanes being closed and ...more
Renee
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Summary: On the drive to Grandma's house, a boy and his mother encounter work crews using machinery and tools to perform roadwork.

Nothing really jumps out to me as being a great picture book. But I would still recommend to Toddlers or Preschoolers who like construction trucks. Text is very short with sometimes two short phrases on each page. There is rhyme but it stretched over two pages. There is so much to look at on my busy streets in the illustrations, that the reader and child can miss the
Terry
Even though our child is beyond books of this type, she commented about how cute the dog, or the birds, or the sleeping bunny on every spread. Looking at the pictures and reading all of the other text (road signs, business marquees) kept them turning the page.

Bright, fun illustrations add a wonderful layer to the simple text of this trip to Grandma's house.

To read our full review, go to the Reading Tub.
Jessica Crockett
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
At first, I didn't like this book very much. My son really likes it, so I tried to like it more. I noticed that there is a chicken on several pages that you can try to find. There's also comical illustrations throughout the book. It's more fun to read now since we hunt for the hidden things in the pictures.
Melanie
A simple story of a boy and his mother traveling to see Grandma who's baking oatmeal cookies for their arrival. Children will enjoy pointing out the different types of road equipment and transportation vehicles. Some will also enjoy finding the "missing chicken" on each page about halfway through the book.
Josh Kittleman
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book we received from Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. The illustrations are very colorful, and I am a big fan of Jannie Ho's artwork. this book helps to familiarize children with different construction scenes occurring throughout a Town. While this isn't my children's favorite book, it has been read several times before bedtime and it's a book that parents can enjoy as well.
Maura
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
My son was very excited when he saw this book in our mailbox this week. There are several large construction sites around our area at the moment and he is always excited to see the big trucks. This was a very cute little story and my son greatly enjoyed it. He was very proud to point out the ducks and the chicken throughout the story.
Ellie Dietzen
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A simple book about road construction, but it includes females driving machinery in the pictures. The majority is men, but it is great to see that they do show women doing the same jobs as men. The story is great and explains about road construction to children.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A family is on its way to Grandma’s house in a car. On the way, the family comes through a construction zone. The family slows down and sees all the many ways people are working in the world.

“People working above
trim bushes and trees.
They put up lights
so you can see.”
Jan
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
For boys who love trucks and noise, a rhyming story of a boy riding to Grandma's house. Instead of going "over the river and through the woods," Mom must negotiate streets clogged with many different kinds of road work. Ages 2-6.
Denise
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would make for a great read aloud for toddlers in storytime. There's plenty of construction and equipment for the eyes to behold, but the simple rhyming tale is more about the journey to grandma's and the work they see along the way.
Kim Patton
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Good toddler book about road construction. Could be a good beginning reader for kids that are interested in trucks and construction.
Mercy
Nov 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Cars, trucks, road work
Edward Sullivan
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
How can there be so much road work and no traffic jams? Colorful story with a good rhythm.
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
My son loves this book. We read it to him every night this week. He loves cars and this book has it all! So many things for him to explore!
Cara
My son loved this book. He loves trucks and cars, so a little book about construction vehicles was right up his alley.
Deb
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Text is brief, but art is complex, so it feels like it's addressing 2 different audiences. I do like each component.
Connor
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, age-2
Very simple story, but illustrations with lots of things to follow along after you've read it a few times. Lets you tell stories about other things happening in the background.
Sandy Brehl
If one ride to Grandma's house allowed a child to observe this many people at work, the economy must be thriving.
Linda
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a fun book as a simple read about construction. But mostly we enjoyed looking at the funny illustrations on each page. The boys laughed as we looked for the chicken throughout the book. :)
Lissa
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
Kivrin liked the clever illustrations like the cupcake van and missing chicken. She is convinced the oatmeal cookies have chocolate chips not raisins!
Mary
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Succinct rhyming text brings road construction to life for the youngest readers and listeners. Clear pictures help readers understand the text. Good for a construction storytime.
Oct 06, 2011 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Good book for toddler boys who love vehicles and construction.
Marina
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
The illustrations were so cute and had a lot of little extras. They rhymes for the stories from one two-page spread to another so the rhythm was sometimes off.
Sylvester
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
3* art
2* story

Just a little confusing for a 2 yr. old maybe. Try again later?
Stefani
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-picture
Kids who love trucks will enjoy this boy's construction-filled trip to grandma's house. The story itself is a bit flat, but the uber-cute pictures will be fun to explore.

• Firehouse!
  • Construction
  • The Mixed-Up Truck
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • Roaring Rockets
  • Demolition
  • Dig Dig Digging
  • Black? White! Day? Night! - A Book of Opposites (Neal Porter Books)
  • Big Rig
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • Tacky the Penguin
  • Will Giraffe Laugh?
  • Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
  • CookieBot!: A Harry and Horsie Adventure
  • Blackout
  • My Dad Used to Be So Cool
  • Hats Off to Mr. Pockles!
  • Sheep Dog and Sheep Sheep
From her studio in Northern California, developmental editor Anastasia Suen reads, writes, and edits books for creators of all ages.