Start by marking “Dukla” as Want to Read:
Dukla

Dukla

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
At several points in the haunting Dukla, Andrzej Stasiuk claims that what he is trying to do is “write a book about light.” The result is a beautiful, lyrical series of evocations of a very specific locale at different times of the year, in different kinds of weather, and with different human landscapes. Dukla, in fact, is a real place: a small resort town not far from whe ...more
Published October 25th 2011 by Dalkey Archive Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dukla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dukla

Orsodimondo
LA LUCE È MEMORIA

description
Luigi Ghirri: Formigine. 1985.

Niente trama, non aspettatevi una trama, avverte Stasiuk, e mantiene la promessa: ci offre una serie di pagine, quando più riuscite, quando più deboli o ripetitive, che parlano essenzialmente di luce e memoria.

Stasiuk potrebbe chiamare la luce “mia sorella, mia sposa”, la conosce frequenta e possiede meglio di un pittore e di un fotografo [per quanto riguarda la memoria, invece, ci sono probabilmente fratelli e sposi più significativi].
E, insieme
Antonomasia
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Antonomasia by: It was about to expire on Scribd.
[4.5] Beautiful writing about place and nature around one small town in southern Poland. At least, I think most of this book is gorgeous; if you're one to get enthused by 5-star reviews in the feed but don't always check the book page, you should know that quite a few people on here disagree with me. Also described as one of the country's key books of the post-Communist era – first published 1997. Perhaps a reconnection with non-political subjects, and feelings and philosophising over socialist ...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
There is a superb opening description of the day dawning. From the beginning you know that this is not a book you can treat lightly - it demands that you concentrate, that you pay attention. It demands that you enter into a partnership. Superb, delicious descriptions, lusciously painted. Staciuk's description of his driving along the country roads, through villages, is so vivid, so evocative. Staciuk acts like a conduit between his eyes and the visual centres of your brain. He describes with a c ...more
Justin Evans
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this a while ago, and not much has stuck with me, except for the feeling, as I was reading a different Polish novel about one small town, that I had recently read a Polish novel about a small town, which used an interesting form. That's not a great sign for this one, and the other novel (Olga Tokarczuk's 'House of Day, House of Night') was far superior in almost every way: better written, does a bit more with the compendium form, more memorable, less sub-undergraduate philosophising.
Jim Elkins
Oct 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: polish
Couldn't finish this, despite several weeks of intermittent efforts. The author, Andrzej Stasiuk, is attempting to write photographic images of the town Dukla as the narrator experiences and remembers it in 1996. The book, its narrator says, is about light and time. It isn't driven by plot, and the episodes don't accumulate into a coherent memory of the past.

Fair enough, and exactly on some of my own interests. The problem is that, in this translation at least, Stasiuk isn't a good writer. The p
Jacob Wren
Andrzej Stasiuk writes:

It's Sunday and people are still asleep, that's why this story ought to lack a plot, because no one thing can cover up other things, when we're headed toward nothingness, toward the realization that the world is merely a momentary obstacle in the free passage of light.

and:

So I decided to try and find the house that R. and I had discovered when we were here in the summer. At that time dusk had been falling. We walked down Cergowska, turned into Podwale, then into Zielona. I
Eva Derzic
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Eerie and bleak. A collection of reminiscences about incarnations of light in the midst of a bizarre romance with a statue of Maria Amalia. Definitely an interesting read, although a bit frustrating at times.
Radka
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: polish
Místy super, často k neučtení. Ale spíš asi záleží na náladě, v jaké to člověk čte: přece jen, lyrická próza, kde se jen tu a tam mihne člověk a autora ze všeho nejvíc zajímají proměny světla v jinak nehybném polském zapadákově
Javier
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: narrativa
Stasiuk lleva dos décadas reividicándose como voz de una Europa olvidada. Sus novelas hablan del tiempo y la memoria, conjugando en ocasiones lo fantástico y lo cotidiano en una literatura que recuerda a Rulfo y a Llamazares. La lejanía geográfica y cultural, que puede suponer una barrera para todo lector no familiarizado con la historia, la idiosincrasia y las menudencias cotidianas del pueblo polaco, no impide disfrutar de un lenguaje exquisito, delicado, casi poético.

El mundo detrás de Dukla
Juan Jiménez García
Andrzej Stasiuk. Iluminaciones

En algún momento decidimos que nuestros recuerdos eran un puñado de historias que conservar, de historias conservadas. Ni tan siquiera debían ser ciertos, ni tan siquiera sabemos cuántos de ellos ocurrieron realmente. Entonces, la historia de nuestra vida es la historia de esas cosas, reales o no. Pero ¿por qué? ¿Por qué nuestros recuerdos no pueden ser sensaciones, sentimientos, colores o, simplemente, una luz determinada, sin nada alrededor de ellos? Andrzej Stasi
Laurie
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
whereas georges perec attempted to exhaust a place in Paris, andrzej stasiuk seems to feel content in letting a place exhaust him, or at least relish in letting it wash over him so he can soak in all of its particles. it's almost as though he slowly imbibes the town of Dukla, like he's sipping on its details like one of those orangeades he mentions a few times.

the back of the book says he wanted to "write a book about light," and i think he very much accomplished that. it's a collection of vign
Luc Abdullah
http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/sweet-... Review yang paling sesuai untuk menggambarkan Dukla, bak kata Andrzej sendiri, buku ni tak ada plot.

-- 18/9/2012
Ketika menemani seorang sahabat di sebuah kedai kopi yang berhadapan dengan sebuah sekolah menengah yang pernah aku hadiri selama 3 bulan sebelum berpindah ke sekolah berasrama penuh, aku dihadiahkan sebuah buku yang berlambangkan bulatan oren. Katanya, buku itu mengandungi aku di dalamnya. Lantas, aku berusaha mengkhatamkan buku yang mengandung
Carolin
Dieser Erzählband ist schon etwas Besonderes: Der Hauptteil des Buches kreist um eine kleine Stadt in den Vorkarpathen, die nichtstuend aber doch drohend am Fuße eines Berges liegt und geduldig auf den Ich-Erzähler wartet, immer wieder. Und er kommt immer wieder zurück, Dukla der Schauplatz einer ungemeinen Leere und seiner Obsessionen. Dabei gibt es keinen Plot, wir schweben lediglich durch des Erzählers Erinnerungen und bekommen immer nur kleine Bruchstücke seiner Erinnerungen, verpackt in aus ...more
Pep Bonet
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel-la, polonesa
It's surely me and Dukla is the best in Polish literature. I admit it. And I think I know the resons why. If you suffer from the same ailments I do, you know what you can expect:

1. I lack concentration. When I was young I could read in noisy places and remain concentrated. Years later, I tend to lose concentration, not so much due to external factors, but above all to internal factors: mind wandering.

2. I never liked poetry, probably because I can get into the text. It remains to me like a succe
manfred
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wenn ein buch anhebt wie...
andrzej stasiuks "die welt hinter dukla" - nämlich folgendendermaßen:
"Um vier Uhr früh hebt die Nacht langsam ihren schwarzen Hintern, steht vollgefressen vom Tisch auf und geht schlafen" - dann wird einer wie ich ganz aufgeregt: wer ist das, der so verdrehte und zugleich wunderbar passende bilder zu gestalten weiß? was wird er mir erzählen wollen?
andrzej stasiuk hat mit diesem büchlein ein wunderwerk geschaffen (was wohl auch olaf kühl, dem übersetzer, zu danken ist),
Tuck
a funny little "novel" made up of vignettes visiting and re-visiting a semi-mythical rural poland. if stasiuk is one of your favorite authors and this "fiction" is your real-life-fado, then it will be a wonderful five star experience. if you do not care for lyrical thoughts about the nature of light, family, nature, and "people" then perhaps a swedish police procedural would be better for you.
i think in poland people can read one sentence by stasiuk and say, that is stasiuk. he is that unique a
Book Urchin
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Beautiful to begin with, painful to read as it goes along. Would be better maybe as a text piece in an exhibition..? I can see where he was going with this, a reflection on time and being in the confines of a space/ time.. the transience of time and phases in our lives, and the persistence of formative memories...but not one to read if you can't give it 100%. I couldn't and I quit about 150 pages in.
Blackvelvet
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
unglaublich schön geschrieben. man kann die welt hinter dukla förmlich sehen, riechen, schmecken. in all ihrer schönheit und traurigkeit. und in ihrer menschlichkeit. und die fehlende handlung fehlt kein bisschen. ein besonderes buch.
Ula
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: polish
Andrzej Stasiuk has a great talent to write about things that are not in the center of the intrest of our every day life in the way that you begin to be interested in the subject in a glimpse of an eye. One of my favourite writters!
Markus
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mir ein wenig zu impressionistisch.
Doron Yam
A book without a plot, a very good descreption of the town. So why did I gave it two and a half stars for? The place is my grandfather home town so I see it as a kind of a closure.
Alexander
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fragmented narrative, the vignettes at the end are excellent.
Julia
  • Dolly City
  • Siamese
  • Aliss at the Fire
  • With the Animals
  • Writing Los Angeles: A Literary Anthology (Library of America)
  • The Symmetry Teacher
  • The Fault Line: Traveling the Other Europe, From Finland to Ukraine
  • Op Oloop
  • The Golden Age
  • Vain Art of the Fugue
  • Black Dragon River: A Journey Down the Amur River at the Borderlands of Empires
  • Bieguni
  • Waking Raphael
Andrzej Stasiuk is one of the most successful and internationally acclaimed contemporary Polish writers, journalists and literary critics. He is best known for his travel literature and essays that describe the reality of Eastern Europe and its relationship with the West.

After being dismissed from secondary school, Stasiuk dropped out also from a vocational school and drifted aimlessly, became act
More about Andrzej Stasiuk

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Challenger Deep
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Crooked Little Lies
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $1.99
“Próbuję wyobrazić sobie świat przed fotografią i nie potrafię. Prawdopodobnie w ogóle nie istniał, nieustannie przepadał,pochłonięty przez ruchliwe, nienasycone zmysły, nic z niego nie zostawało.” 2 likes
“O czwartej nad ranem noc powoli unosi czarny tyłek, jakby obżarta wstawała od stołu i szła spać. Powietrze jest jak zimny atrament, spływa asfaltowymi drogami, rozlewa się i krzepnie w czarne jeziora.” 1 likes