Start by marking “Maid for Love (Gansett Island, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maid for Love (Gansett Island, #1)

Maid for Love

(Gansett Island #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  22,288 ratings  ·  1,450 reviews
Maddie Chester is determined to leave her hometown of Gansett Island, a place that has brought her only bad memories and ugly rumors. Then she’s knocked off her bike on the way to her housekeeping job at McCarthy’s Resort Hotel by Gansett’s “favorite son,” Mac McCarthy. He’s back in town to help his father with preparations to sell the family resort and has no intention of ...more
Published April 28th 2011 by HJTB, Inc

·  22,288 ratings  ·  1,450 reviews

Candace
Please check out more of my reviews at www.bookaddicthaven.com

I have seen this book around for quite some time and I picked up the audiobook on sale recently for $1.99. At just under 7 hours, it was a great choice to finish out my weekly commute. It was sweet, straightforward and easy to follow. Sometimes, you just need something "light" and this was just that kind of story.

Mac McCarthy has only just arrived back in his hometown when he knocks Maddie Chester off of her bicycle. He is immediately
Jonetta
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mac McCarthy returns to his hometown of Gansett Island for a month of much-needed rest from his highly stressful career. No sooner than he arrives he literally walks in front of Maddie Chester and causes a collision that leaves her injured. She's the single month of a 9-month old baby and can't afford to lose even one hour of work. What happens next alters the course of so many lives.

If you're looking for a feel-good story, one that allows you to escape into a lovely romantic fantasy, you'll ad
valee
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-romance
WOW I just LOVED this book. I stayed up till 6 am reading because I could NOT put it down. This is the perfect read for when you're in cheesy moods and wanna read one of those reads with the PERFECT HEA. I can understand why some rated it lower though, but as I was just in this kind of mood, feeling all mellow, LOL, I just adore this read.

In this installment we get to read about one of the famous McCarthy brothers. All the boys in this family were always consider golden boys: Rich, sexy-as-hell
Alp
2.25/5

Too predictable and cheesy!
Almost the whole story seemed unreal and impossible. The characters, in my opinion, were not realistic either. The hero was too perfect, too good to be true! The dialogue sounded strange, might be because it was too intentionally sweet.

The heroine, Maddie, I didn't like her from the beginning because she kept pushing Mac away though he tried every way to help her. She was so annoying!

When Maddie found out that Mac made the guys, who caused her to have a bad reput
Tina
This is one of those books that I really think that you have to read with either a) a fair amount of disbelief suspended or b)you just love the romance fantasy of a basic Cinderella story.

Mac McCarthy is from a wealthy family who are well known and liked on a small New England island.

Maddie Chester lives on the same island but is of a decidedly less golden family. She was tormented in high school for developing early. And one lie by one guy resulted in a tarnished reputation that followed her in
Anja
Jun 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: free-ebook, w-az, c, w-sw
Why am I not surprised by the slut-shaming? Maddie’s nickname is Mattress because she banged all the boys in high school and the whole town hates her. But Mac and his insta-love don’t believe the rumors. What do ya know? She says they aren’t true. Good thing because what hero wouldn’t care at all about a heroine’s slutty past? It doesn’t matter that Mac was a ho-bag before his instantaneous and soul-deep connection to Maddie. He says he’s not a playboy. He just used women for sex but that’s okay ...more
Melody Cox
****4.5 Stars****

Incredible Love Story!

Update: 02/27/19 I wanted to expound a bit on my review. When I wrote the first one I had forgotten to review after reading and it had been some time since I read it so I didn't go into detail. Now I have reread it twice more and felt it deserved more detail.

This is the first book in a series that focuses on one large family and their circle of friends, neighbors and acquaintences. Mac (aka Malcolm which he despises) McCarthy is the eldest son of Linda and
StMargarets
I'm in the minority on this one. I found the insta-love/lust a bit unbelievable - probably because the Block Island inspired setting was realistically drawn. The contrast between realism and romance was too great, I suppose.

The playboy hero returns home after years away, runs into the heroine, and causes her injury. He volunteers to stay in her apartment, look after her and her baby and do her chambermaid job at his parent's hotel.

It's all a little weird and OTT.

The heroine has a huge chip on
Booklover
This was a wonderful heartwarming story,Mac-Maddie two cuties who meet through an accident and from then n there their journey towards their HEA starts

Absolutely adored Mac he has a caring nature,his humbleness towards others,his trust loyalty determination towards Maddie his love and way he aches for Maddie and does everything to bring happiness and smile on Maddie's and Thomas face

Maddie she has suffered cause of other's ego and pride which has made her quiet bitter but when Mac comes into he
Yvonne
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Mac is the easy going, loyal beta hero and Maddie, is the down on her luck heroine (with baby in tow). Things move along very fast in this story, it's a sweet fantasy romance. Mac falls in love at first sight and saves "the day" for our heroine. Nothing wrong with that every once in a while! :)

Jacqueline
My teeth hurt after that 🙄
Kathy
Every once in a while I need a book like Maid for Love because my brain needs a break from the H and h fighting vampire wars, running from a drug lord, or waiting for the rake to realize he is in love. Maid for Love has little in the way of conflict, in fact I kept waiting for something gut wrenching to happen but it never came. This book is simply about two very nice people who fall in love and I found it sweet and heartwarming.

I always enjoy Marie Force's storytelling and writing style. Like
Viviana
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ingie
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: Mo
Written July 19, 2014

3 Stars - Sweet, tender and romantic cute

An seven hours audio romance for just $2. I can see that a lot of readers liked all these books in The McCarthys of Gansett Island series. So did Mo who recommended me this one when the ebook was a freebie a year ago.

Three stars for a an ordinary nice contemporary romance. ~ Maybe wasn't this audio narration the very best (slightly monotonous without much feeling) but I enyojed more or less.

*******************************************
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Spoiler Free Review
4 STARS
Genre: Contemporary Romance/Chick Lit
Series: Book#1 in The McCarthys of Gansett Island

Relax, Mac. I want to kiss you everywhere."- Maddie
"You can't use my own words against me."-Mac
"Oh no? Watch me."-Maddie in
Maid for Love

Brief Summary
Maddie Chester has worked for the McCarthy Resort & Hotel in housekeeping for 8 years. But today she is running a little late and due to her lateness she will directly collide into the love of her life. When Maddie is thrown from her
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
On his first day back home, Mac McCarthy steps off the sidewalk into the path of a bicycle ridden by Maddie Chester, causing her injuries that keep her out of work for a week. Maddie works as a maid at the islands hotel - owned by the McCarthy family. She can't afford to lose her wages or job as she has a 9 month old son to provide for. Mac offers to step in and take care of her & her baby Thomas and that means he is going to work as a "maid" at his own family's hotel until Maddie recovers. ...more
Lucy (why do I bother to read chicklit)
I'm a big fan of the Fatal Affair series from Marie Force (even if after the third book it drops in quality)so I thought there was no harm in reading the first of the McCarthys' series since it was free on Amazon.

So, Maid for Love is about Maddie Chester, a single mum whose live has been seriously impacted for having big boobs and having had a reputation for being easy during high school.

Mac is the eldest of the McCarthys and after a panic attack retires to the quiet island he grew up on and w
Jenny
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Maid for Love is the first book in Marie Force Gansett Island Series, and it is a sweet romantic story that at times will make the readers laugh. Mac McCarthy returns to his parent's resort after Doctor told him to rest and before he arrives he runs into one of his mother's maids Madeline Chester. Maid for love continues to explore the blossoming love of Madeline and Mac, however, like all romances, it does not always go to plan.

I loved the way Marie Force portrays her character especially Mac
Vintage
Melody has the best review on this novella.

My two cents. Two good heroes in a row! Wow. Where the hero in Rules of Engagement is a charming reformed rake, this one is just a simple, besotted nice guy. He has to be as his mother is the MOTHER FROM HELL, mother from hell, mother from.... I hated her and want her to die.

The heroine, well, she and her big breasts deserve a happy ending. She was branded a ho by a rotten to the core creep in high school, and the
Dee
Being that this is a MF book I really expected to love it but I just didn't! Don't get me wrong, I did like it and thought it good and I am even glad that I took the time to read it, but I just didn't fall in love with it....Maybe I just wasn't in the mood :(
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
I need to be careful here as to not totally bash this book. It was a freebie and after seeing all the four and five star reviews I decided to give it a try. I had to wonder (as others have said) if I was reading the same book, or was it just me?

The actual plot had so much potential, but there were significant problems with the writing and timelines that left me scratching my head while saying, "Huh!?" Sorry, folks. I just didn't like this one.

Since this was written in 2011, I'm sure the author h
Splage
This is the first book in the series about a family that lives on an small island off Rhode Island. It is a love at first sight, small town love story where the golden boy returns from a big city job to his hometown for a needed break and he literally runs into the tramp of the the town, known as Mattress Maddie. She is a single mom who has always been looked down upon and wrongly stereotyped because she has built like a pin-up girl. She was labeled in high school because some boys spread false ...more
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
I thought this was such a cute heartwarming love story! Mac and Maddie are adorable. Mac is the perfect gentlemen, he wins you over right away with his charm. I loved Maddie she was a very real and relatable. The story is really sweet and quite charming, definitely a book that will leave you smiling!
Megan Fall
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abuse
What a sweet story. I loved the way Mac took care of her and her little boy. He gave up his whole life to move back home after he met her!
Nanna
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

this was just what i needed and was in the mood in. a total cinderella story!
Gina *loves sunshine*
Written in 2011 and somehow made it through all the book cuts on my TBR. For some reason August just screams East coast Island time - so this made for the perfect book in the moment. Summer, Island ferries, coffee shops, inns and bed and breakfast...perfect setting!

This was very reminiscent of my late 90's/early 2000's romance reads. Cute, contemporary, sweet, fast, easy little love read. This was the insta of all insta loves - this guy Mac fell in love within 40 minutes of meeting Maddie. Withi
Deedee
Such a good read. This book had me dying laughing, so warning if you're sick or have a bad cough not a good idea to read this during such hard times. I've learned from experience. :)

Mac McCarthy has spent most of his life trying to get away from his hometown. After more than 15 years away. Hes returned to help his father repair the inn. Only to run into Maddie Chester; whose experience on the island has left her unable to trust men and had her labled the "town whore".

""After awhile, I got sick
Anna D.
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, free
Simply perfect...

It helped that I was in the right mood for this book. It’s really quite a simple, almost modern day Cinderella-like story in which the handsome prince comes home after almost 20 years and rescues the poor damsel in distress – that he just happened to knock off a bike. Mac is seriously a perfect book-boyfriend/husband material. Everything he says and does is just right.

The addition of Thomas, Maddie’s 9 month old son, was wonderful. Mac was incredible sweet and so good with the
Julie
Apr 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel bad writing this review because after all the book was free. But it got on my last nerve.

This book was completely unrealistic. The couple meets because Mac ran into Maddy with his bike, injuring her. A few hours later, he's moved into her apartment, taking care of her son, taking over her job etc. Within 2 days they're discussing marriage.

Maddy's a complete doormat who does nothing to actually improve her life. I don't mind a Cinderella story, but if it's placed in the present day, some i

• Almost Perfect (Perfect Trilogy, #1)
  • This Time Forever
  • Shut Up and Kiss Me
  • Take A Deep Breath
  • Ryan's Return
  • Love Me (Take Me, #2)
  • Return to You (Laurel Heights, #3)
  • Oceans Between Us (A Cinderella Romance)
  • Cross My Heart (Landry, #2)
  • Some Day Somebody
  • Wild Irish Ride (Weldon, #1)
  • The Boat Builder's Bed (Wicked in Wellington, #1)
  • The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister, #1)
  • The Executive's Decision (Keller Family, #1)
  • More Than Memories
  • Rising Storm (Bluegrass Brothers, #2)
  • A Needful Heart
  • Until You
Marie Force is the New York Times bestselling author of contemporary romance, including the indie-published Gansett Island Series and the Fatal Series from Harlequin Books. In addition, she is the author of the Butler, Vermont Series, the Green Mountain Series and the erotic romance Quantum Series. In 2019, her new historical Gilded series from Kensington Books will debut with Duchess By Deception ...more

Gansett Island (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fool for Love (Gansett Island, #2)
  • Ready for Love (Gansett Island, #3)
  • Falling for Love (Gansett Island, #4)
  • Hoping for Love (Gansett Island, #5)
  • Season for Love (Gansett Island, #6)
  • Longing for Love (Gansett Island, #7)
  • Waiting for Love (Gansett Island, #8)
  • Time for Love (Gansett Island, #9)
  • Meant for Love (Gansett Island, #10)
  • Gansett After Dark (Gansett Island, #11)
“This is love. Finally, he understood. This was what made sane men into fools.” 2 likes
“You hear about people waiting too long to retire, then one of ’em gets sick. . .” 0 likes