Start by marking “Hector and the Secrets of Love” as Want to Read:
Hector and the Secrets of Love

Hector and the Secrets of Love (Hector #2)

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  1,942 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
The irresistible second installment in the beloved series that has sold millions of copies worldwide.
Since his first captivating adventure in "Hector and the Search for Happiness," Hector the young French psychiatrist has continued to explore the mysteries of the human soul. Having found that love seems virtually inseparable from happiness, he begins taking notes on this
Published May 1st 2011 by Penguin Books (first published March 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hector and the Secrets of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hector and the Secrets of Love

Manny
As usual, the old Chinese monk was sitting at his very modern Western desk, and the moment he saw him Hector felt better.

"Please sit down," said the old monk in his kindly voice. "I see there is something you are worried about."

Hector sighed. The monk looked at him sympathetically.

"It's this new book," said Hector at last. "My book about happiness was a big success. Now they want me to do another one."

"And what will your new book be about?" asked the monk.

"Love," said Hector, and he sighed again
Anne Goldschrift
Mhpf ne, ich habe es abgebrochen nach 120 Seiten - Hector und ich, wir werden wohl einfach keine Freunde... :(
Winna
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
A holiday read.

I like the Search for Happiness better, it has a sort of a children's book allure to it, whilst this one doesn't. It's a lot longer, and a bit more complicated, but not a lot of them makes sense. I don't like most of the characters, even Hector, and there are so many boring bits I'd skipped because of that.

Frankly speaking, I don't find this one really representing its title well. It's about the Secrets of Love, but Hector himself is tangled up in his relationships. Is it really j
Rizal
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teguh Affandi
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saya lebih suka yang ini daripada kisah Hector yang pertama. Kalau di kisah pertam Hector and The Search of Happiness, seolah hanyalah kolase perjalanan-perjalanan kemudian dirumuskan menjadi sebuah pelarajan soal kebahagiaan. Kalau di novel ini, kisah dan alur mengalir seperti kebanyakan. Hector dan Clara saling diuji daya cinta antara keduanya. Ketika orang ketiga muncul, Vayla dan Gunther atasan Clara. Ya, selalu ada ujian dan rasa sakit untuk sebuah cinta.

Adegan paling epik adalah saat HEcto
Renee
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as strong as the previous Hector novels--perhaps because I had already known a little bit about the science they wanted to explain, perhaps because we want so much to love every part of Hector, but in this book, he shows flaws that make him more him--and maybe that's okay.
Michelle
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I admit it! When I first started reading, I thought that I wouldn't finish this book. It took me a few pages to get used to the unusual style (which reminded me of childrens' literature, due to the simple, short sentences and equally short chapters). However, after a few pages I quickly became hooked. In fact, the simple style was actually perfect for bedtime reading, as were the very short chapters.

So, the plot......Hector the psychiatrist heads off on a mission to discover the answer to th
Lindsay
I enjoyed the first Hector book, but this was a little out there even for me!!!

It was to do with a love potion that the big pharmaceutical companies wanted, and also Hector falling in and out of love. It was quite boring!!!
Michelle Kee
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a very simple read on love. It contains some insights into love as well. Makes you ponder on the meaning of love at times.
Jane
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah yes, Hector!

We met last year, I very much enjoyed his search for happiness, and so I was delighted to be invited to join him on another quest.

This time Hector was searching for the secrets of love.

He had noticed, in the course of his work as a psychiatrist, that so many of his patients came to him because they had problems of the heart.

And he was thinking about love on his own account too. Wondering about his relationship with girlfriend Clara. Whether they should be lovers or friends. Why Cl
Bella
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I'm disappointed after reading this novel. For some reason, I felt so disconnected to the story as well as the characters. I remembered being so excited to read it but upon doing so, I just felt that the story was a little nonsensical. I'm not sure why I felt that way. There wasn't any lesson learnt in this book for me.

Despite a couple of suspense and unexpected turns of events, it didn't excite me. Instead it seemed kind of predictable. Even if it didn't I felt as though I
David Hebblethwaite
I’ve not read the first of Lelord’s ‘Hector’ books (Hector and the Search for Happiness), but I’d suggest on the basis of this second one that they’re an acquired taste. Lelord’s professional background is in psychiatry, which is also the career of his protagonist. Hector is pondering the nature of love when he attends a pharmaceutical conference with his girlfriend Clara, where he is sent on a mission to track down an old acquaintance, Professor Cormorant, who had been working on a love drug. O ...more
Alanna
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the beginning of the book because I was looking for a nice fluffy read. I generally read books that are heavier and longer. The problem is that half way through the book I realized why I enjoy books with more depth. Rather than displaying the book's purpose through the plot and character descriptions, Lelord seemed to tell the purpose outright through Hector's components of love/heartache. It didn't help that I became very irritated when the character, Dr. Cormorant, said that Orangutans ...more
Susan
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Hector the main character is sent by a large pharmaceutical company to find Professor Cormorant who has absconded with a promising love potion. While searching high and low around the world Hector contemplates the components of love and the effects these have not only on the general public but on his own relationships.

He discovers some universal truths about life and love along the way, mostly that love is complicated but essential. The simple tone of the work is refreshing and del
Sidra
The book has potential no doubt...the storyline is indeed interesting.. But then the monotone narrative, one dimensional characters kill the story. I dislike the western man after Asian woman cliche, the Asian woman as massage lady cliche ... it's also weird the author refused to refer to Cambodia by her name .. claiming it to not be an ancient city...I also disliked the ambiguous ending...overall flimsy..
David
Nov 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed, having enjoyed Hector and the Search for Happiness. I just couldn't get into this one
G.R. Reader
Apr 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry François, you shoulda quit while you were ahead.
Christian
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vorgelesen
Wie die Suche nach dem Glück nur vielleicht spannender, da die Geschichte schöner ist.
Julila
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Как все и говорили, на первой книге можно было остановиться.
Fadhlina
ok. but not as kickin' as hector and the search of happiness
Irene
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book is supposed to be more adventurous and exciting than the first, it is supposed to be building up a series of event to the climax, but apparently the building process is damaged. I think it is because the plot is so frequently disrupted by Hector writing down his lessons on his book or computer or in his mind, or his train of analyzing thoughts.

I don’t know why, like in his first book, Francois chose to leave the name of many places unmentioned. He then explained “Well, it’s bec
Janine2610
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romane
Die Kompliziertheit der Liebe

Band zwei der Hector-Reihe ist, ebenso wie Band eins, ein süßes Büchlein, das in einer wenig anspruchsvollen und leicht verständlichen Sprache geschrieben wurde und einfach Freude macht, darin einzutauchen. Anders als beim ersten Band würde ich an dieser Stelle aber dazu sagen, dass es nicht die optimale Geschichte für Kinder ist, da hierin die eine oder andere sexuell angehauchte Szene auftaucht und auch ein paar böse Machenschaften am Werkeln sind. - Nicht unbeding
Kelwalin Dhanasarnsombut
Hector is on the mission to save the science of love, his soul, and may be humanities. In this Da Vinci Code style adventure, we followed the footsteps of our hero into a South-east asian country while learning with him the ideas of love; Behaviour of, if not all, many species. It’s simply intimate to all us, but still the greatest mystery to be unveiled.

Easy English, comprehensive information, thought provoking, funny, heart-felt loving, and witty, this book is not only for those who question l
Tan Clare
I had just reviewed the first book in this series Hector and the Search for Happiness, saying that the sleaziness was still bearable, and not overdone to spoil the charm of the fable. Here it has unfortunately gone overboard. It does not help that the story smacks of a incoherent jungle adventure in style of Indiana Jones, horribly mashed with a soap opera romance. I serious hope the third book of Hector Finds Time in this series which I'm going to start on, will revert to the first.
Karen Anne
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a romantic and not interested in love so I wasn't really sure about this book from just going off the title but as soon as I started reading even the first couple of pages I actually fell in love with it. I had so many moments of reading where I just had to stop and reflect and if there's one type of book that I like reading it's one that allows you to reflect on human relationships especially when great wit and humour come into the bargain. I can't wait to read the rest of his books!
Alexandra
Ach, die Liebe ist so kompliziert...!!!!
Amalia Fajarwati
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memahami cinta dengan lebih terbuka dan bijaksana serta detail2 nya yang memikat secara psikologis baru saya temui di buku ini. Menarik! 😊
Spider
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: attempted
I really enjoyed Hector's Search for Happiness, however his "secrets" of love leaves me feeling like the paper used to wrap fish n chips- kind of gross.
Jessica Lu
This is the second book written by one of my bookclub's ex-members. His first book is "Hector and the search of happiness". It is still about this young psychiatrist traveling to Asian countries. But this time, he is to search a professor who is studying love and has produced a pill to make people fall in love...

First, I find its translation (from French to English) this time is much easier and fluent to read comparing to the previous book.

Second, I find it amusing the ways the professor lead He
Ansi Widya
I prefer the first book though.
  • Die Strudlhofstiege oder Melzer und die Tiefe der Jahre
  • 6 österreicher unter den ersten 5: Roman einer Entpiefkenisierung
  • Das Augenspiel. Lebensgeschichte 1931-37
  • The Kiss of Death
  • Midwife on Call: Tales of Tiny Miracles
  • La Société des jeunes pianistes (Aksel Vinding, #1)
  • Die Ratten. Berliner Tragikomödie
  • Quasikristalle
  • Rabbit Stew and a Penny or Two: A Gypsy Family's Hard Times and Happy Times on the Road in the 1950s
  • Die Tante Jolesch
François Lelord, born 22 June 1953 in Paris is a French psychiatrist and author. He studied medicine and psychology. After getting his doctoral degree in 1985, he was a post-doctorate researcher with Robert Liberman at the University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles. He then worked as an attending physician at Hôpital Necker (which is affiliated with Descartes University) in Paris for two years.
I

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“We fall in love or stay in love with people who are unsuitable or who no longer love us and, conversely, we feel no love towards people who would be very suitable. Love is involuntary, that's the problem. Our personal histories prepare us to be attracted to people who unconsciously evoke emotions from our childhood or adolescence.” 27 likes
“He who spends too long regretting his ruined crop will be neglect to plant next year's harvest.” 13 likes