Start by marking “Goddess With a Blade (Goddess With A Blade, #1)” as Want to Read:
Goddess With a Blade (Goddess With A Blade, #1)

Goddess With a Blade

(Goddess with a Blade #1)

Rowan Summerwaite is no ordinary woman. Physical vessel to the Celtic Goddess Brigid and raised by the leader of the Vampire Nation, she's a supercharged hunter with the power to slay any vampire who violates the age-old treaty.

A recent string of murders has her at odds with Las Vegas's new Scion, the arrogant and powerful Clive Stewart. The killings have the mark of
Published June 6th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Goddess With a Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goddess With a Blade

Start your review of Goddess With a Blade (Goddess With A Blade, #1)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at: 35% . Because there is only so much crap I can take.

Friendly warning : the introduction to this crappy non review is slightly longer than the crappy non review itself. So if you want to get straight to the crappy non-review part of this crappy non-review, skip the first three paragraphs (and corresponding gifs decorations) of this crappy non review. You are quite welcome and stuff.

Note to self #1: the fact that a book has the word "blade" in its title is no guarantee against
Someone's Potato

Ok here goes my mini review in which I will try not to rant about everything I hated strongly disliked in this book. Key word, try.

The flow of the writing and the main character's reasoning in the first couple of chapters is so terrible I literally don't know what to write here. The main character is introduced as a Vampire- hating "Hunter" who dislikes the "arrogant vampire scion" that she meets in the first chapter. In her second meeting with the dude, she storms into the Vamp central, they
Aisling Zena
My casting for Rowan if it ever gets adapted, the gorgeous Gwendoline Christie:

All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Lauren Dane is well know for her erotic romances, so I should be clear up front that GODDESS WITH A BLADE is not erotica. It is rightly categorized as an urban fantasy even more than paranormal romance. The sexual content is steamy, but not more so then other titles in the genre.

Now that thats out of the way, I really enjoyed GODDESS WITH A BLADE once it got going. The beginning was a little rough and the writing a little clunky, but after a few
Mrs. Badass
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5/5 or B+
posted at : http://badassbookreviews.com/2011/05/...

This was my first Lauren Dane read and I can say that I'll be taking a closer look at her back list fairly soon. Goddess with a Blade was an entertaining read, full of Egotistical, Alpha Vampires and Power infused, snarky females.

The premise was interesting. A Goddess chosen -human female- who was raised by vampires. Rowan is a Hunter. A Hunter's job is to find and slay rogue vampires who break the Treaty. The law clearly states -Do
taveena kade
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
His amusement was spiced by the way he seemed to go wild for her when she was extra prickly.
You are a magnificent woman. Strong. Sexy. Powerful. I like you, even when youre being a wretched bitch.
She gasped a little laugh when he nipped her lip and kissed the corner of her mouth, drinking in the way it curved up so perfectly.
Im not a wretched bitch, Scion. Im a fierce bitch. Theres a huge difference.

Laurie Garrison
May 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Its been a while since I hit a book that I didnt like, I knew it was coming. Goddess with a Blade is pure Urban Fantasy and one I didnt care for. I got this book off of netgalley under romance (they so need a category for UF) and as most of you know romance is what I love, so I figured since I loved Lauren Danes Chase brothers this one would be alright, so not, I should have looked on Lauren website before I requested this one ugh. The majority of the book is written in Rownas POV and the ...more
Princess J. Antoinette
Pretty good so far... I do love it that their's a badass heroine, so it's starting on a good foot in that category at least. But I haven't formed a complete opinion of this series yet. The jury still seems to be out until I've read more books of this series.

Overall rating:
4* ~ Good Read
Jane Stewart
I wasnt enjoying it. I wanted it to be over.

Rogue vampire is killing humans. Rowan, Clive, and the cops are all working independently to find the killer. Theres not much plot development of that. It drags.

Meanwhile, periodically when Rowan and Clive are together, talking or arguing about something, all of a sudden they have sex. Theres no romance or passionate desire. Its more mechanical than emotional - like eating a fast meal.

A few times the back story comes in about why Rowans parents were
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

Rowan is a special human, she is the true Vessel of the Celtic triple goddess Brigid, which gives her some in-human powers and strength. She carries a blessed blade, created to kill Vampires. She is the enforcer of the treaty between the Hunters and the Vampire Nation in Las Vegas. Am I seeing a pattern with Ms. Dane's fascination for Vegas? Love it!

While enforcing this treaty she killed the prior Scion (or head of the Vampire Nation) in Las Vegas, and
Pamela / SpazP
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
4.5 Stars
Rowan Summerwaite is the first true vessel of a Celtic goddess who carries a blade forged and blessed by warrior shamans, created to kill Vampires. With her skills and blade, she is a Hunter, responsible for ensuring the Vampires in Las Vegas uphold the treaty that created the Vampire Nation, preventing them from killing humans. She single-handedly took out the previous worthless and corrupt Scion leader of the Vampire Nation and has spent
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘

Ah man, this book was awesome! Just what i needed at the time. I love the whole thing, and i can't understand why not more people have read this awesome series!?! It's incredible, and i finished it in no time :O I hated that, to be honest... I didn't want it to end, but lucky me, #2 was out, so i could just jump to that one straight away. Though now i have to wait for book #3 :( And i want more now. I seriously don't know why i have waited so freaking long to read this series?! I mean, come on,
harlequin {Stephanie}
This cover drew me in. Good urban fantasy story. Not as fast paced as I would have liked. It is a short book after all. When we are served up some action tis' very nice.

Not this mind blowing, but it has it's moments.

Image credit

Still really enjoyed it. The lead, Rowan, is very mouthy. Kinda' bitchy too. I like that in a female character. Gives personality. If only it had less politics! Hate politics. She is also in service to a goddess. That was a double edged sword for me. It was a good twist,
Latasha
DNF

this sounded like a great book but it's just not for me. if you like romance and steamy stories, go for it. you'll probably love it.
Susi
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Book Lovers Inc

An urban fantasy with vampires and a heroine who's the vessel of an honest to god(-dess) goddess? Sounds pretty intriguing to me. But this novel offers so much more. The world Dane creates is detailed and vibrant. The way her characters lead us through the story shows how much love and work shes put into this one. But let me start at the beginning.

We meet Rowan Summerwaite in Las Vegas where she hunts the vampires who break the rules and shows them why they
Heather Book Savvy Babe
I really enjoyed reading Goddess With A Blade, it is an urban fantasy/ paranormal romance mix filled with suspense, vampires, romance, and even a Goddess. The heroine in this story is Rowen, a human girl who shares her body with Brigid, a goddess. Because Rowen is the vessel for the Goddess, she is very powerful and strong, and she uses these extra powers to kill vampires who kill and break the law. Rowen is a Hunter, it is her job to keep the supernatural community in line, and she is excellent ...more
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I had very high hopes for this book in the beginning as it seemed to be going in an excellent direction. Lauren Dane has a great way of writing likeable character's by showcasing not only their strong points and attractiveness, but also in their weak areas and quirky habits too. Goddess With a Blade started out good introducing Rowan Summerwaite, a Vampire Hunter, who lives in Las Vegas and brings the law into her own hands when the vamps are naughty. She, along with her Hunter Association, has ...more
Bunnycore
Goddess with a Blade. This was a very interesting book. I Love the way Rowan was with Clive, there was some mystery there and what a great concept. A goddess' vessel who also polices the supernatural. I love that.

I love the arrogance Clive has but you can that there is more to him then just that where Rowan is concerned. I love well I loved this book so just pick it up and give it a good read it's worth it.

Happy reading!!!!

Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
~* 3.5 Stars *~
A Lot of Story in One Package

Her calling is simple: kill Vampires who kill people, thereby breaking the treaty with Hunter Corp. Her existence is...less so. As Vessel of Celtic triple goddess Brigid, she's something that has existed only a handful of times throughout history. Not human. Faster. Stronger. Gifted with a few magics. And highly trained to be very, very deadly. She is Rowan Summerwaite.

She's loathes Vampires with a singular intensity, so being called to appear before
Nicole
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/06/17/...

Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: Out Now
How I got this book: NetGalley

I wanted to love this book. Urban Fantasy is my first love, and Im usually a fan of Danes work, but I have to say I was a little disappointed in this one.

Rowan is the Vessel for the goddess Brigid and her job as Hunter is to make sure that the vampires of Las Vegas stick to their treaty and not kill humans. But a mad vampire is on the loose, killing
Kelly
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I almost don't know where to start with this review because there were simply so many things I loved about this book. In fact, I'm feeling the love so much I hope I don't embarrass anybody with my effusive gushing.

First things first- Lauren Dane writes amazing characters. Not just in this book, either. Every one of her books has these incredibly strong women who burst out of the pages. You might think it would be a challenge to match these women with men who can meet their strength without being
Heather
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasyromance
Rowan is badass, in the best of ways. She is confident, capable, and successful and wants nothing to do with the new Scion, Clive. She thinks he has a stick up his butt, but when she pushes his buttons oh, my. I needed a fan. And Clive hates that he finds her so attractive. The big battle lies between them having to decide between duty and passion or can they have both?

I LOVED Goddess with a Blade. It was smart, funny, and sexy. The plot was engaging, particularly the use of the Goddess
MostlyDelores
Edited to add: It really doesn't hold up as well on re-read. Dane is surprisingly misogynistic in her treatment of female characters other than the heroine.

***************************

I liked it. Rowan was an awesome MC and Clive (Clive? Clive!) was super annoying but got away with it. My only real quibble was (view spoiler)
Louise
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Initially I nearly threw this book aside with a giant WTF!! at the interactions between our hero, Rowan and our vampire Scion, Clive. Glad i persevered because it soon became apparent our author has a bit of a dark sense of humour because neither parties want or encourage what is happening and it leads to some memorable scenes.
Strong female lead with some good sarcasm, action and bawdy language. Really looking forward to picking up more in this series.
Elena
This was a good paranormal novel, but something was missing. It was an interesting start to a series, but not interesting enough to keep me going ... honestly i don't think there was anything that would cause me to keep reading the following books... The mystery is not amazing, the romance between the couple was not even there (they humped against the wall the first time they saw each other and it wasn't even hot - it was like "Harlequin romance" tame)... OVerall - not much to it ...
Summer
I like Lauren Dane's writing, at least all of it that I've read so far. I didn't necessarily find this bad, just I wasn't all that into the plot or the characters and once I set it down realized I just didn't care enough to pick it back up.
✿~Danielle~✿
Read 7/8/14
Read 19/7/19
Paula
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get very far with this. The h was up herself, or at lease acted it. The reader got Told things not shown them. The story looked good I just didn't like the writing style. DNF at 11%
Angela
Feb 18, 2012 marked it as to-read
29 February 2020: $1.99 on Kindle
23 September 2015: $1.99 on Kindle
22 June 2015: $2.99 on Kindle
Goodreads Librari...: Merge Series? 3 17 Jun 08, 2015 11:31AM

• Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Witch's Cauldron (Legion Of Angels #2)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Badger to the Bone (Honey Badger Chronicles, #3)
  • Vampire's Kiss (Legion of Angels #1)
  • All Hell Breaks Loose (Hellcat, #2)
  • Siren's Song (Legion Of Angels #3)
  • Angel's Flight (Legion of Angels #8)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • A Cold Day in Hell (Hellcat, #3)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
  • Heart of Stone (Alice Worth, #4)
  • Blood Rights (House of Comarré, #1)
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • Peace, Blood, and Understanding (Half-Moon Hollow #7)
  • A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
  • Bad Fae Rising (The Paranormal PI Files #3)
  • Psychic's Spell (Legion of Angels #6)
Lauren Dane has been writing stories since she was able to use a pencil, and before that she used to tell them to people. Of course, she still talks nonstop, and through wonderful fate and good fortune, shes now able to share what she writes with others. Its a wonderful life!

The basics: Lauren is a mom, a partner, a best friend and a daughter. Living in the rainy but beautiful Pacific Northwest,

Goddess with a Blade (6 books)
  • Blade to the Keep (Goddess With A Blade, #2)
  • Blade on the Hunt (Goddess With A Blade, #3)
  • At Blade's Edge (Goddess With A Blade, #4)
  • Wrath of the Goddess (Goddess with a Blade #5)
  • Blood and Blade (Goddess with a Blade #6)