Start by marking “National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe” as Want to Read:
National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe

National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe

A lavishly illustrated guide to the universe combines the efforts of an award-winning author and NASA experts, offering a timeline of important space events, an easy-to-use glossary, and a planetarium, observatory, and museums listing. 10,000 first printing.
Published January 1st 1994 by National Geographic Society (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe

Start your review of National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe
Paul
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If the amount of time spent reading and rereading a book counted toward "greatest book of all-time", then "Our Universe" would be THE GREATEST BOOK OF ALL-TIME!!!!!!!!!!! I spent untold hours as a child growing up poring over this book. My old copy has disappeared into the unknown, and I really need to get myself another copy. I miss it. ...more
Christian
This was the book that first sparked my interest in space, science and science fiction. The photographs and illustrations are beautiful, though the science is now a bit out of date. The special section with descriptions and artists’ renditions of possible alien life was mind-blowing to me as a kid, and is something I’ve yet to see anywhere else - showing that life on the other planets of the Solar System, if it exists at all, would absolutely not look like us.

My own copy of this book is at leas
J.M. Brister
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, 2020
This is the best coffee table book ever made. I really don't care if it's way out of day now. The pictures are awesome, and the information is fascinating (though very out of date). I used to borrow this book every week from the public library when I was younger. Then, someone in my family was wonderful enough to find it for me many years later. Love this book! ...more
Shaun
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me to know, understand and dream about our planet, galaxy, and universe. Some of the information may be outdated, but it had an immense effect on forming my opinions about the planet and beyond.
Melissa
Jun 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
It's so awesome, if I had a coffee table it'd be my coffee table book. ...more
Jim
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I spent countless hours reading and staring at this book as a kid. It also still calls Pluto a PLANET.
Sam Jones
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a kid I probably spent more time with this book than I did watching TV, and I watched a lot of TV.
Ethan Hulbert
"Lavishly illustrated" doesn't even cover it. This book is a masterpiece and will encourage anyone of the wonders of space. Truly phenomenal. ...more
Tad
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, this was my astronomy go-to. Besides a treasure trove of pictures and statistics, it has a lot of the history of astrophysics written in an approachable, but still informative, way. What did Newton, Huygens, and Einstein contribute? It's all in here. All these years later, it still holds a high standing on my bookshelf, and my children (especially my inquisitive youngest) will pull it down and look at it from time to time.

Further editions have updated the information since when
James
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: astro
Just look at that cover! That’s all you need to see to be inspired as I was to pick this up. Ok, actually my wife who has a incredible eye for thrift store finds, found this.
This 1986 guide to our universe is a fascinating snapshot of that time before the completion of the Voyagers’ grand tours (and certainly before the images of Hubble). The artwork is superb and fun.
I have a soft spot for historic space futurism and this is a nice addition to my collection.
Joy Gerbode
Jan 15, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Although it is dated, and some of the information is no longer correct, the basics are ... and the pictures are amazing. Lots of diagrams to help the reader "see" what it's like in space. It begins with a history ... before telescopes, when the stars were the gods. Then a chapter on each part of our own solar system, from sun, to planets, to asteroids, comets, etc. And finishes with the work of our own space programs, although they are many years in the past. It's a wonderful book, and one I wil ...more
Scott
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just like a lot of other reviewers, I remember reading this as a kid being thoroughly engrossed. I never tired of reading through it and looking at the illustrations. The artwork, like the book itself, is dated but fascinating. Still a great book to get a young mind interested in space and science. Which is why I ordered a copy for my kids. I find it just as interesting now as I did 40 years ago.
Patrick
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I repeatedly checked this book out in elementary school and read it cover to cover every time. I enjoyed the connections between mythology and celestial objects as well as the gorgeous pictures (hypothetical aliens, anyone?).

The information is outdated, but I recently purchased a copy because it is a large part of what got me into science, astronomy specifically.

Love it to death.
Audrey
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book incredibly interesting. With engaging text, and pictures this book is fantastic for all ages. Each time I read every page over again, I learned something new. I wish I had this book as a child; it is the most simply educational book I've ever read. I've always enjoyed National Geographic. ...more
Brandon
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
pretty good
Lancen Davis Harms
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Wayne
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I read this because it was a gift from my nephew. It is outdated but still some good information in there if space is your thing.
Will Voskamp
Feb 25, 2022 rated it really liked it
Very informative, though a bit outdated, there is great info in this book
Vivian Wiltshire
Jul 31, 2022 rated it liked it
Another pretty good read but a little too technical for my liking. But the photos were amazing and beautiful.I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars!
Mike
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I discovered this book in a dilapidated library in Montgomery, AL working on a report or a science project in the third grade. I don't think it had much to do with what I was working on, but it became my favorite book in the library until I found the Magic School Bus books. This book has a ton of cool pictures of the planets, and for whatever reason, I was drawn to the section at the beginning of the planet bios that included information about the gods they were named after. I had a strange fasc ...more
Stefan
I read this from cover to cover after I received this as a Christmas present from my parents back in 1981.

It was one of the only things I asked for that year. I was very much into space and the planets even at a fairly young age.

I own a first edition copyright 1980 hardcover copy of this book.

I was able to fish it out of a box at my parents' place back a few years ago. I still leaf through it now and then.
Michael
Jul 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-space
I've spoken with at least three of my friends about this book after I picked up a copy for my coffee table. They were captivated as children, just as I was. They remember ALL the wild alien artwork, the gods and goddesses, the vivid details. How many other kids were shaped by this book? Who else drew a massive sense of wonder from it?

You?
Jason
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book makes me nostalgia so hard. I poured over these pages for hours on end in my grade school years. I'm finally picking up a cheap used copy so I can share it with my kids. I expect I'll clear up some out-of-date inaccuracies here and there, but the illustrations are so fantastic it'll be worth it. ...more
Valeri
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This had to be my favorite book when I was a kid. I borrowed it from the library almost every week. Some of the science is a bit dated, but it fueled the flame of my passion for space and the universe.
Ryan
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sciencenmath, theory
My first book of science that obviously turned me on to the subject. After preparing 10 years of science and technology courses, I find it to be a hallmark in creating the perfect visual to "explore" our undiscovered domain. ...more
Facedeer
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was one of my formative childhood books, but sadly I must give it a fairly low rating now because science has passed it by - much has been discovered in the decades since it was first published. If you want to give a kid a book about space pick something more up to date.
Joseph Fernandez
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This book made me into the sci-fi fan I am today. Not Star Trek, not Star Wars, this book. It's nearly 40 years old but it hasn't been surpassed in terms of its brilliance. It combines real astronomy with the speculative in a way I've never seen before or since. ...more
Bookreeper
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collection
Exquisite beautiful book. I would take trips to the library when I was a little bookreeper just to browse through this book for what seemed like hours.
See book here:
William
Nov 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Look at the cover. The rest of the book is equally amazing.
Scott
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was in love with this book as a kid. I think I checked it out of the library every other week. One of my childhood favorites. Just an amazing book for kids.

• Stuart Little
  • National Geographic Answer Book: 10,001 Fast Facts About Our World
  • Marooned Off Vesta
  • The Writer's Guide to Creating a Science Fiction Universe
  • The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
  • Colorado 1870-2000 II
  • Exploring the Unexplained
  • The Discworld Graphic Novels: The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic
  • Ancient Civilizations: Great Empires at Their Heights
  • Pirateology (Ologies, #4)
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • Alienology (Ologies, #10)
  • Oceanology: The True Account of the Voyage of the Nautilus (Ologies, #8)
  • Black Cake