Start by marking “The Breath of God (Opening of the World, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Breath of God (Opening of the World, #2)

The Breath of God (Opening of the World #2)

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews

Once the great Glacier enclosed the Raumsdalian Empire. Now it’s broken open, and Count Hamnet Thyssen faces a new world. With the wisecracking Ulric Skakki, the neighboring clan leader Trasamund (politely addressed as Your Ferocity), and his lover, the shaman Liv, Hamnet leads an exploration of the new territory in hopes of finding the legendary Golden Shrine.

But dangers

MP3 CD, 0 pages
Published January 8th 2009 by Tantor Media, Inc. (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Breath of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breath of God

Dirk Grobbelaar
I wasn’t aware when I started reading this that it is actually the second book in a series. The author does fill the reader in, but I can’t help but wonder how much this affected my reading experience. For one thing, the character development here is rather lacking, and it is possible that the author fleshed them out sufficiently in book 1 (Beyond the Gap). I guess I’ll never know, since I don’t intend on going back to the first novel at this stage, if ever.
I do, however, own book three (The Go
Clay Kallam
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
There’s plenty of skilled writing in “The Breath of God” (Tor, $24.95, 335 pages), which is true of all of Harry Turtledove’s books. That said, Turtledove is not a “great” author, and you won’t get long descriptions of tea coming to a boil, or paragraph-long sentences that precisely describe the mental state of a somewhat neurotic young woman who’s in anguish about a) a confused love affair with an artist with suicidal tendencies, b) her relationship with her mother who’s dying of some dread dis ...more
Nick
This series isn't quite like his others, in that it is farther from any specific historical model than most, but it is still historically based, sort of. It takes place as an ice age is ending, and the change has reconnected lands that have been separated for many years by glaciers. Unfortunately, one side contained a violent, vicious culture...and then, there are the bad guys, on the other side.

Seriously, one difficulty that some readers will have is that there are only comparative good guys in
Ben Babcock
Joel Flank
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After traveling beyond the glacier, and returning to tell about it, Count Hamnet and his fellow explorers were scorned by the very emperor who sent them to explore. Their warnings of a dangerous and powerful people there, who called themselves the Rulers, and had the might to back up those claims were ignored. Count Hamnet instead returned to the frozen north, to aid his Bizogot allies prepare a defense against the inevitable invasion. Upon their return, they're shocked to find Jarl Trasamund's ...more
Stacey
Feb 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The last 90 pages or so picked up in pace (once they headed back towards Nidaros), but otherwise, this was a terribly slow & boring read that I couldn't wait to put down. The descriptions did make me feel like I was on a freezing cold glacier (I did enjoy the introduction of another "tribe" of people, and usually I'm not overly critical of Turtletaub's repetitive nature; however, this was just TOO much of the same phrases repeated again and again using barely noticeably different sentence st ...more
Annie
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Continuing the story from Beyond the Gap. The description is getting a little old, I know what smetyn is by now and don't need it reiterated every other chapter. I like some of the turns the plot is taking, going up on the glacier itself brings a whole new aspect to the narrative. It's still the basic journey story, but has held my attention and remained interesting, I'll read the next book in the series, whenever it happens to come out.
David R.
I was probably crazy to stick with this series. But I thought things might get more interesting in the second round. Regrettably, the characters became even more irritating to me and the book is a series of *long* hikes back and forth.
Eric Evans
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series its a quick fantasy read. I dont like all the traveling back and forth from the glacier to the empire and back again. However you don't get long descriptions of stuff that you know such as mammoths and tigers. I'd have given 5 stars but the battles and magic are lacking.
alan douglas dalrymple
Breath of God.

Less sexual problems and more direct story lines would have helped. Don't need to know how much sex or not some character is getting. Explain more about the magic and it's machinations then the bemoaning of a characters lack of being a man.
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book wandered quite a bit and everything seemed to end up basically where they started. Will still check out the next on audiobook because I do like the world and the characters, but hope it moves things along more.
David Miles
Interesting concept - An ice-age empire. What I didn't find interesting was the constant bitterness and whining over various women that the hero Hambet engages in (even in the midst of a battle!?).
David
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I continue listening to this series. It's mildly entertaining but really one book delivered in three chunks. Frankly, Turtledove rambles a bit.
Cathy Andrews
I don't think it's as good as his other books, I am getting bogged down in some sections.
Kione
Jan 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh damn. this is the 3 book in that series.
Shit.
So what was the second book?
Dammit! It's not done.
So is there a 4th book...yet?
Kurt Vosper
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good conclusion to this two parter. Some great battles and some mythology come to life. Fun read.
Craig Robinson
Jan 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
giving this story another shot, first one was lacking action, but something seems to be happening so on we go.
Mark Hanson
The book was rather long and didn't develop very rapidly. Graphic physical scenes detracted from the story.
Jake Moody
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audiobook and found it very enjoyable. Will have to look into more turtledove books
Sue
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-and-sf
Part 2 of the trilogy.
Liviu
Jul 02, 2008 marked it as tried-but-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
loved the first book, but this is way too badly written to enjoy
Drmorton
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself looking forward to finishing this book, We gain a few more characters then in the first book. The witty dialog especially from Skakki is great. I enjoyed this one a lot.
The Docta
Had some interesting twists and turns.
Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who liked The Gap.
Another great series that Turtledove has created. I love the characters and the war with the Rulers is well done. I enjoyed this series.
Abel
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book easy reading and very enjoyable. Its another triology that is hard to put down. It has cost me a lot of sleep, due to contious pace and excitment.
Gwen
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it enough to move on to the 3rd volume in the series...
Lee Sebastiani
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Lion in Chains: A Foreworld SideQuest
  • The Shield-Maiden: A Foreworld SideQuest
  • Pirate Freedom
  • Blades of Accession (Dusk Gate Chronicles #7)
  • Slan Hunter (Slan, #2)
  • Mists of Everness (The War of the Dreaming, #2)
  • The Corridors of Time
  • The Lord of Illusion (The Elven Lords, #3)
  • One Day on Mars
  • Kalin (Dumarest of Terra #4)
  • The Luck of Relian Kru
  • Throne Of Lies (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Email to the Universe and Other Alterations of Consciousness
  • Reading the Wind (The Silver Ship, #2)
  • Ties That Bind (The Spire Chronicles #2)
  • Longeye (Duainfey, #2)
  • The Song of the Axe (The Pelbar Cycle, #6)
  • www.1939.com.pl (www, #1)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Opening of the World (3 books)
  • Beyond the Gap (Opening of the World, #1)
  • The Golden Shrine (Opening of the World, #3)