Start by marking “The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists” as Want to Read:
The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists

The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists

Read them at your own pace - the funniest Top Ten Lists from "Late Night with David Letterman." Plus, if you buy now, this special bonus list:
Top Ten Reasons to Buy This Book:
10. Serves as handy coaster for two jumbo beverages 9. Plentiful misprints sure to make it a valuable collector's item 8. Ideal for really easy book report 7. Everything you need to know
Published October 1990 by Pocket Books

Be the first to ask a question about The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die by Stephen Farthing1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up by Julia Eccleshare1,000 Places to See Before You Die by Patricia Schultz
A List of Lists
364 books — 65 voters
Wrong Planet - Searching for your Tribe by Karl WigginsStiff by Mary RoachI Am America by Stephen ColbertBournemouth Boys and Boscombe Girls by Danny WinterIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Pop My Culture
133 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ha-ha-s
This isn't really a five star book. My 16 year old self would have rated this a five, and since I read it a bunch of times when I was 16 and I found it endlessly funny it gets five stars for that. I'd probably rate it three stars now, but I don't think I could find myself sitting down to read it.
Matthew Holder
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I once was sitting in a college class where a student said something about how he/she didn't find Walt Whitman that important/good/revolutionary. The professor responded that the student needed to understand that an English major might have trouble seeing how important Whitman was, since Whitman had reshaped the world so thoroughly that the student now partly lived in the world Whitman had created.

Letterman's like Whitman, too, having reshaped a part of the world to suit himself, eve
Mike
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a funny little visit with an old friend
Sheehan
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
packed for NYC trip, it was entertaining for a flight, but not much more.

Enjoyed being reminded of topical 80s trivia and David Letterman show, but beyond that sort of meh
Melissa Mclees
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surely had a lot of lists in this book, but I don't see what the purpose of those lists were exactly for, I mean what do they serve a purpose for? It was humourous though. I did like to read it, but what did I learn from it, other than knowing that Mr. Letterman is a very opinionated person? nothing!
Dan Chisholm
Just a book of lists. Some funny, some not. Most outdated and for the older crowd (late twenties and beyond). Younger generations would find this boring and out-dated. Good book for Letterman fans, but thats about it.
Kaethe Douglas
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sure, it's essentially ephemera, but at the time, I was delighted. I may like it more now, knowing how much Merrill Markoe was responsible for it.
Aaron
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just my kind of humor. It makes me chuckle a whole bunch. I especially enjoyed the plans for an end table by Norm Abram in the back. I might make one.
Chris Gager
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Picked up at the town transfer station and now headed for trivia-dom.

All done now... some of the stuff was dated and I skipped those but overall I'd say it was typical Dave. Wise-ass and absurdist and a bit sophomoric. Good stuff!
Tony
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
My grade = 78% - C

I only read this one because someone with OC Disorder added 100 questions on this book to the Goodreads Neverending Book Quiz.

I originally read it when it first came out - sometime in the late 80's (?) and it has truly and obviously become dated.
Bill Shannon
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Brilliant.
Kat
Nov 22, 2011 added it
Didn't think this book was as funny as I thought it was going to be. Glad it's short, didn't want to waste many hours reading it.
Devi
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I honestly read it just so I can say I read it. Most of the lists weren't that funny. Of course, I was a toddler when most of this stuff was relevant.
pati
A bit dated, but still it is Dave Letterman, and he is a funny guy!
Molly
Apr 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very odd, but good.
Lulu Johnson
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Ah, a classic really.
Craig
Dec 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hilarious collection of classic Letterman humor. It's like watching TV in convenient book form!
Tim Gillen
Fun light read. Humorous look back at topics that were current events long ago.
Ryan
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
The original - very funny stuff.
Primadonna
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Would've enjoyed it more if I recognize all of the names he mentioned. :)
Fishface
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, non-book
Ultimate bathroom reading!
Leonard Pierce
Oct 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Hey, remember the late '80s and early '90s? When David Letterman had hair? And I was not so lame that I was going to bed hours before his show came on? Yeah, he was pretty funny then.
Keith Shubert
Aug 13, 2012

• Deeper Thoughts: All New, All Crispy
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • Dave Barry's Guide to Life (Contains: "Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex" / "Babies and Other Hazards of Sex" / "Stay Fit and Healthy Until You're Dead" / "Claw Your Way to the Top")
  • The First 200 Years of Monty Python
  • Dispatches from the Tenth Circle: The Best of the Onion
  • The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family
  • We Can't Breathe: On Black Lives, White Lies, and the Art of Survival
  • The Italian Americans: A History
  • Ranting Again
  • Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness
  • Freedom Summer: The 1964 Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi
David Michael Letterman is an Emmy Award-winning American television host and comedian. His first major success occurred on the long-running NBC television program, Late Night with David Letterman, before moving to CBS in 1993 to his current place on the Late Show.

Letterman's ironic, often absurd comedy is heavily influenced by former Tonight Show hosts Steve Allen, Johnny Carson and Jack Paar.