Start by marking “Deadly Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #1)

Deadly Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels #1)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  2,152 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
CASTLE fans rejoice! For the first time anywhere, CASTLE's titular hero Derrick Storm comes to life in the pages of this all-new graphic novel. This "adaptation" of Derrick Storm's first novel adventure takes our hero from the gritty world of the private eye all the way to the globe-hopping intrigue of the CIA. Eisner Award-winning Marvel Architect Brian Bendis and red hot ...more
Published September 28th 2011 by Marvel (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Storm

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Soooooo, I have to admit I knew zilch about this before requesting it. See, I just joined a new library that actually has some graphic novels in circulation so I started asking for anything by anyone I’d heard of before. I also live on Earth so I have heard of the television program Castle (but I’ve never watched it) . . .

Houston commercial photography

No, you’re not even close yet pal. Okay, so it turns out Richard Castle is like an actual human who also writes t
Anthony Chavez
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Whoever thought to market the books of Castle from the series was a genius. I love getting in the mind of fictional character Richard Castle. He is witty, egotistical, jumps to conclusions, clumsy, jealous, real, and paints a beautiful picture with words.

The story was about what I expected from a Richard Castle plot: a little over the top, kind of goofy, and doesn't take itself very seriously, but still well-written and very entertaining; Moreover, The art was flawless. I'd love to see more of D
Anne
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a decent story...but I'm totally confused.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that I'm the only person out there who didn't know there was a tv show called Castle.
I'm right aren't I?
I don't really watch tv, so I've never seen it.
P.S. I'm not a pretentious douche who thinks tv rots your brain. I mean, it does...but that's not why I don't watch it.

So this is a graphic novel based on a fake author's book? Except the fake books are called Nikki Heat series, right?
So who is Derric
SA
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, graphic-novels
This was pretty ridiculous but I liked it anyway! A graphic novel adaptation of a book written by a character on a television show. Ah, media. I love you.

To be honest, I expected more from Bendis--given his experience with Powers, I expected a little more meta, a little more knowingness from the pulpy bestseller Castle is meant to have made his career on. But for all that it was predictable in the Michael Crichton sort of way, it was still pretty amusing, because it's like a reflection of Castl
Maria
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am not really into comic books but I must confess I really enjoyed reading Deadly Storm. As an "adaptation" of a novel written before Castle started working with Beckett and on the Heat series, I believe it sheds some light on Castles past. It seems that by joining Beckett he too became a hero in his own life, much like Derrick Storm on his many adventures.

Choosing to publish this was, in my most humble opinion, a fantastic idea. Richard Castle is already a character one seems to easily bond
Michael
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
While it was interesting to read about Derreck Storm, but this was way too rushed, art work was poor. I just found it too hard to enjoy, maybe if it was a novel they I would of liked it better. Too much of a gimmick.
Bry
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I don't quite know how to rate this book, on one hand I want to give it 5 stars just because it's Castle, and I LOVE THAT SHOW!! But on the other hand it just isn't a 5 star book.

The plot was like an episode of Castle - full of red herrings, an over the top villain, sexual tension, and a bit of goofiness. Only I didn't find it believable like an episode of the show. It was too rushed and too far out there to come off as real. Furthermore, the characters were a bit to cardboard for me. Those that
Cathleen
Oct 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Both the story and the art are what you might expect in a graphic novel marketed to non-format fans -- fine for what it is, but a bigger opportunity was missed. It is neither impressive nor especially fun.

As someone who must repeatedly explain to fans of the TV show that a) Richard Castle is fictional, and b) the Derrick Storm novels do not really exist (at least yet), the lengthy title list on the flap is exasperating. Nowhere is there a disclaimer that these are only mentions from the show (be
Tatiana
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This graphic novel “adaptation” of fictional author Richard Castle’s first book in the Derrick Storm series, Deadly Storm, was rushed. It didn’t allow for a lot of time to get to know Storm, but what did come through was a cross between Castle himself and Jeffrey Donovan’s Michael Weston, just not as kickass or amusing as that combination should be. Even Clara Strike, the inspiration for whom we recently met on the show, wasn’t as compelling as I expected.

What I did like about this volume was t
Kim
Oct 31, 2011 rated it liked it
The first adventure of Derrick Storm and it's straight to graphic novel unlike the other tie-in's. I think I would have preferred it to have been a novel rather than a graphic novel. The story is very rushed and could have done with a few more pages. The artwork wasn't the greatest. Most notable were the faces. Sometimes the characters looked like they had Downs Syndrome where in others then looked like they were trying to hide chestnuts in their cheeks.

All in all in wasn't a great first outing,
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First I habe to say that I never really intended to read the Derrick Storm novels or comic books but when my best friend dragged me into a comic book store when we visited NYC and I saw they had the Castle one's I just had to buy the first 3.

Anyway I loved the comic a lot and can't wait to get into volume 2 and 3. I also might buy the books now just to get a little more backround information.
GateGypsy
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I can't say that I feel less confused now that I've read this, but it's good to get a little background. Lemme tell ya: it's a mistake to read these out of order.
David
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick entertaining read for Castle fans. Pretty much what Castle would have fantasized his job as a PI would have been like, complete with sexy female leads and spy gadgets.
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
P Fosten
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ok, this is a tricky one. Overall, I didn't like it....but I did. So, bias on the table; I do love the show Castle and Kelly Sue DeConnick's script manages to make Derrick Storm sound like his fictional creator. The art, in places, seems to try and make him look like Nathan Fillion. That doesn't work so well. The art is the main problem here but I struggle to explain why. There is just something missing. It's not quite there in a way that makes you look at a page and think 'More could be going o ...more
Ashley
I really enjoy the TV show "Castle" which lead me to the mistake of reading "Heat Wave", the first book of the Nikki Heat series penned by Richard Castle (who is played by Nathan Fillion). As much as I love Fillion, I did not like "Heat Wave" so I was iffy about reading a graphic from Marvel that was based on the fictional Derrick Storm books by Castle. But at the price tag of $2, I said why not?
If I take a step back and simply read the graphic, it isn't bad. I chose to wipe the TV show and char
Kevin Fanning
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I love that this exists but it feels a little thrown together. A graphic novelization of the "first" Derrick Storm book (which doesn't actually exist!): SO GREAT. Excellent world building. But the mystery and the characters are lackluster (something about Nicaragua, Contras, and gold) and the storytelling doesn't capture the zingy style of Richard Castle the character on Castle or Richard Castle the writer of the Nikki Heat books. (Although you could counter this as further myth-building: Castle ...more
Andrew
Brian Bendis, Kelly Sue DeConnick, and Lan Medina create an excellent "adaptation" of "Richard Castle's" first novel. While not as twisty and meaty as Castle's more recent Nikki Heat prose novels, it's still an effective thriller, full of action and suspense. The art, by Medina, is equally effective in the quiet, dialogue scenes as in the moments of action. The script perfectly captures Castle's unique voice, and adapts the novel so smoothly it's impossible to tell if any cuts were made. (I say ...more
Cathrine Bonham
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Castle Fans
This graphic novel adaptation of fictional author Rick Castle's fictional Novel, Deadly Storm, was very good for a tie-in to ABC's Castle. The story does not stand on its own very well and like the equally fictional Nikki Heat novels the two leads are a complete rip off of Castle and Beckett.

But if you have already been sucked into the Castle universe then you will probably enjoy this little piece of TV land in the real world and geek out over every minute that you spend in this illustrated heav
Christina Vourcos
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of Castle, this is a recommended read. I love how familiar yet different the story was. I could picture Richard Castle writing this story. The dialogue is in his style, and the graphics are really great. I've read the Nikki Heat books, and I also recommend those. Right now, I just finished this graphic novel and I just bought it. Though it may be short, it a great read. Now I'm going to go continue enjoying reading Heat Rises.
James  Love
A quick, fun read spoofing the style of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer and Tiger Mann. I highly recommend NOT buying it for the Nook, sadly B&N have a problem with eComics for the Nook. I recommend either the Kindle edition or buy it from Comixology. I will say this for Comixology they make great use of the zoom and screen rotation features making it much easier to read.
Kenneth Reece
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's pretty awesome seeing Castle on TV, hearing him talk about his work, then being able to hold that work in my hands especially since the show is fictional. And the part where Marvel owns it is pretty cool too.
Vikas
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
And this is how fictional stuff becomes real. These books first made appearance in the TV series Castle and they trickled down in the real world and although its promotional material its good none the less.
Patrice
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The story and art were awesome, which shouldn't be too surpising since they farmed it out to Marvel. It was fun to see Storm's humble beginnings. I like it when the main character is an underdog facing an uphill battle. I liked it and would recommend it to anyone I to crime/action/mystery.
Brandy Y
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tie-in, comic
A lot of fun, I just wish it was two or three times longer. I hope to see more Castle/Storm graphic novels.
Hannah Givens
A pleasant little spy-crime story, with some very funny lines.
Pam K.
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was a huge Castle fan. Even more so a fan of Nathan Fillion. So when the Richard Castle books came out, I was so excited.

Deadly Storm is our introduction to PI Derrick Storm. He is very much like the Castle character on the TV show. Smart, creative, impulsive, charming, and a bit of an idiot.
He gets himself caught up in a case which brings him in touch with CIA operative Clara Strike. Their partnership in this adventure is comical.
I'm not into comic books, which is why this got 4 stars inste
Dot
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: alcc, comics, read-2018
2.5/5

I got a free copy of this because they were just being given away (extras I think? Accidental order? No one buying it?) and whilst I enjoyed it more than I thought I would I still took it to the Street Library once I was done.

I think it was fine. And reading it in comic form definitely is what made it more enjoyable. Although I don’t think this is taking itself seriously Derrick was just another male power fantasy and annoying instead of like? A witty funny smart-ass. Like the whole chara
Snow
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After following the ABC show Castle for years, I was excited to read this graphic novel! It was witty, fun and took the same tone as the TV show I've enjoyed for so long The 3rd in the series is the best yet!
Charla
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to see Derrick Storm

It took a bit to get into the flow of this story but it was interesting. This was my first story i read about Derrick Storm but I'm certainly interested in checking out some of the others.
Castle Freaks: Derrick Storm Graphic Novels 1 5 May 10, 2013 06:25PM
Castillions: Deadly Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novel, #1) 9 7 Nov 07, 2011 05:14AM
  • Farscape Vol. 1: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning
  • Doomwar
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 3: Wave of Mutilation
  • Civil War #1
  • A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read (Psych, #1)
  • Avengers: Season One
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: New Rules (Season 10, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten
  • Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #3
  • Mighty Avengers, Volume 1: No Single Hero
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 3
  • Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1
  • DC vs. Marvel Comics
  • Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)
  • Birds of Prey #1

Richard Castle is the author of numerous bestsellers, including the critically acclaimed Derrick Storm series. His first novel, In a Hail of Bullets, published while he was still in college, received the Nom DePlume Society's prestigious Tom Straw Award for Mystery Literature. Castle currently lives in Manhattan
More about Richard Castle

Derrick Storm Graphic Novels (4 books)
  • Storm Season (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #2)
  • A Calm Before Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Unholy Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • In a Cottage In a Wood
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Beautiful Lies
    $13.00 $3.99
  • The Perfect Mother
    $13.00 $3.99
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)