Start by marking “Mayat dalam Perpustakaan” as Want to Read:
Mayat dalam Perpustakaan

Mayat dalam Perpustakaan (Miss Marple #3)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  47,630 Ratings  ·  2,155 Reviews
Colonel Bantry has found the strangled body of an exotic blonde bombshell lying on his library hearth - and the neighbors are beginning to talk! When Miss Marple takes an interest, though, things begin to move along nicely, and its all far more convoluted - and sordid - than the genteel Bantrys could have imagined.

A curmudgeonly financier, his self-absorbed adult children,
Published October 1985 by PT Gramedia (first published February 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Mayat dalam Perpustakaan, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Virginia
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bill Arnold
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

James
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brina
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year the reading the detectives group read through Agatha Christie's Miss Marple mysteries as a yearly challenge. Having joined the group late, I did not have a chance to read all of the Queen of Crime's cases featuring her famous spinster sleuth. As I participated in the challenge when I could, I came to appreciate Miss Marple as an everyday detective who is a champion for the average person. Using her quality of reading human nature to solve cases, Miss Marple became a favorite crime figh ...more
Mansuriah Hassan
I confess to absolutely loving Dame Agatha Christie's books. I find the coziness of them very soothing. Miss Marple's character becomes more rounded as we see her interact with her friends. Even though there were less action in this book, but I don't think that dooms it to being a bad book, it's just a change of pace, which is often refreshing.

In the author's foreword Christie writes: "I laid down for myself certain conditions. The library in question must be a highly orthodox and conventional l
Barry Pierce
There's a small note to the reader at the very beginning of this novel in which Agatha Christie basically writes, "the trope of the body in the library is very common throughout detective fiction so I wrote this novel to fuck shit up". Good old Agatha. This is a Miss Marple story... well... I think it is, because our beloved Miss Jane Marple is in fact missing from quite a lot of this novel. Thankfully the crime is exciting enough for us to overlook that minor setback. It's a classic Christie, f ...more
Kwoomac
Someone here on Goodreads has a shelf called "cozy mysteries" and I think this is a perfect description of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series.You can't get much cozier than a tea-drinking elderly spinster in a tiny English village. The Body in the Library is a clever little book. Miss Marple is called in to investigate when her friend finds a dead body (in the library). What I enjoy about Christie is she doesn't take her mysteries too seriously. There's lots of room for humorous little bits. I ...more
Susan
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a peroxide blonde is found dead in the library at Gossington Hall, Colonel and Mrs Bantry are perplexed. However, Mrs Bantry is determined that the crime should be solved, aware that suspicion will fall on her husband ("no smoke without fire...") and wisely calls in Miss Marple. When the body is identified as Ruby Keene, a dance hostess at the Hotel Majestic in Danemouth, Dolly Bantry and Miss Marple head off for a short break to do a spot of sleuthing.

This is a classic Christie novel and t
Lata
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a pleasure it was to reread this book. The first time I read a Miss Marple mystery story,l I was in my early teens and did not appreciate just how smart the woman is. She's very observant, and remembers little things about people, and draws parallels between different people to figure out who could have done it (the murder, that is.)
And I don't remember Agatha Christie being quite so funny the first time I read this; I found myself laughing out loud at the dialogue between Mrs. and Mr. Bant
Anna
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Το πρώτο βιβλίο της Αγκάθα Κρίστι που διαβάζω με αφορμή το Όριεντ Εξπρές που είδα στο σινεμά (και επίσης το προτείνω ανεπιφύλακτα!) Το διάλεξα αποκλειστικά για τον τίτλο (γιατί έχω βιβλιοθήκη και ίσως με βρουν κι εμένα κάποτε εκεί να έχω πεθάνει από αφυδάτωση και ασιτία - ΟΧΙ ποτέ, πάντα καφές δίπλα μου όταν διαβάζω και για το φαγητό δεν κάνω μ@λ@κίες!!)

Τελοσπάντων, το πτώμα ανήκε σε μια νεαρή κοπέλα και είναι σαφές ότι οι ένοικοι δεν είχαν ιδέα, με διαλόγους όπως "Η Μάρθα λέει ότι υπάρχει ένα π
Richard Derus
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4 solid stars of five

The novel, surprisingly, holds up well to a 21st century re-read. I was so pleased not to find anything shouting at me, "oh dear gawd please don't say that!" Slut-shaming, a huge component of the novel, isn't something unique to the times it is set in. It was a pleasure not having anything other than that and class snobbery to overlook!

But goodness me, what a lot of it there was. The "film people" were ever so louche, my dear, just Not Our Sort, so...American, you kn
AMEERA
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
💔💔💔'
Fatima
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
قبلا فکر میکردم رمان های پلیسی اونقدرها هم برام جذاب نیستن و نمیخوندمشون ولی با خوندن این کتاب نظرم به کلی عوض شد , از اون کتاب هایی بود که نمیگذاره کتاب روی زمین بمونه و دوست داری تا آخرش رو با دقت بخونی ببینی واقعا قاتل کی بوده و انگیزه اش چی بوده؟!
Simona Bartolotta
3.5

“My nephew Raymond tells me [...] that I have a mind like a sink. He says that most Victorians have. All I can say is that the Victorians knew a good deal about human nature.”
Veronique
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Another excellent story! Having read it previously, I still remembered the key points, but on the other hand it allowed me to look at all the clues in a different way, and weirdly I ended up enjoying it more than the first time. I'
Shaikha
This book will hold your attention from the first chapter, it will impress you with the brilliantly crafted lines and take you straight into the murder scene. It’s a short book, but I assure you it will not affect the quality of it and you’ll enjoy this mystery which leaves you hanging until the end when all is explained.

Colonel and Mrs. Bantry, wealthy and upright citizens of St. Mary Mead, wake up one day to find the dead body of a mysterious young blonde woman in their library. This mysteriou
Ginger
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Agatha Christie books are timeless! I always love reading her books when I want something entertaining, light and well written for a mystery. I’m always amazed at her writing but also her understanding of psychology and how good her books continue to be after all these years!

The Body in the Library did not let me down. Once again, I was surprised by the ending and enjoyed the ride. I enjoyed Miss Marple more in this book then the 1st one of the series, Murder at the Vicarage. She outwits everyon
Ms. Smartarse
You're Dolly, wife of the respectable Colonel Bantry, living in the lovely little village of St. Mary Mead. You live a charmed if a bit boring life. Isn't it rather frustrating when even winning first prize at the flower show is just a dream?

They say, you should be careful what you wish for, but how could you be anything but excited when your very own library becomes the scene of a gruesome murder? If this isn't the news of the decade, you don't know what is. In any case, it's definitely prime
Phrynne
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors when I want to read something light, entertaining and always well written. This book did not let me down. Miss Marple was at her very best, guessing who the murderer was quite early in the piece but of course not letting the reader know who it might be. As usual I had no idea but just kept happily reading, letting her do all the detective work and enjoying how smart she is.
Rachel Hall
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third instalment in the amateur detective encounters of Miss Marple and makes use of the great cliche of crime fiction - the “body in the library”. An author’s foreword explains the conditions that Christie imposed on herself to add to the intrigue; namely that the library is question would need to be a highly orthodox and conventional location and that the body, on the other hand, must be a wildly improbably and highly sensational victim. When Gossington Hall, home of Colonel Arthur ...more
Madeline
This was my first foray into the Miss Marple series of Agatha Christie mysteries, and I have to admit first and foremost that this story has one of the best setups I've ever read in a detective novel: one morning Colonel and Mrs Bantry, the owners of a big English country house, are woken by their staff and informed that a dead body is in their library. It's a young blond woman in a cocktail dress, strangled to death and sprawled on the library rug. No one recognizes her, or has any idea how she ...more
Stephanie Anze
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
"...there sits an old lady with a sweet, placid, spinterish face and a mind that has plumbed the depths of human inquity and taken it all as in the day's work....where crime is concerned, she's the goods."

When the body of a blonde young woman is found strangled in the library of Colonel Bantry, rumours start spreading rapidly. Colonel and Mrs Bantry are part of the upper class elite and considered with the upmost respect. Concerned for her husband (who assures her that he has never seen the vict
Helen
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can rely on Christie to deliver a convoluted murder with wit and an understated charm.
Agapi
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Η πρώτη μου επαφή με την Agatha Christie καταλήγει σε 3άρι (που δεν είναι κακή βαθμολογία, αλλά είχα μεγάλες προσδοκίες).
Παρακαλώ τους φαν της να μου προτείνουν τα αγαπημένα τους, γιατί με το συγκεκριμένο δεν ενθουσιάστηκα, αλλά θα ήθελα σίγουρα να δώσω και δεύτερη ευκαιρία.
Ahmed
أولى قراءاتي لشخصية مس ماربل وللأسف كانت الرواية مملة جدا
كما أن طبعة دار الحياة أخطاؤها المطبعية كثيرة للغاية حتى اسم الرواية خاطئ
"جثة في المكتبة " وليس المكتب
على رغم من جودة الطباعة
وهو ما قلل من التقييم بشدة
Bonnie
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Agatha Christie novel. It's kind of a random one to start with. It's not Murder on the Orient Express or And Then There Were None or any of her other famous works. I chose it purely because I liked the cover. But you know what? I think it was a perfect choice.

Miss Marple is absolutely delightful. No ego, just a keen insight into the human psyche. She's also far more clever than me; I didn't spot the killer until it was too late.

It's almost a quintessential British village life/
Adrian
An excellent and very enjoyable read. Despite reading the book many moons ago and seeing at least one version on TV I still didn't guess who did it. (SPOILER alert sort of " although I did get the clue about the fingernails eventually")

And so it's onto the next which I think is The Moving Finger which I believe is a quote from the Wine of the Mystic: The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam: A Spiritual Interpretation. I must admit I don't know why, but I'm sure I shall find out.

Anyway 3 down and 11 to go,
Araz Goran
مغامرة جديدة في عوالم شيقة وممتعة ومليئة بالإثارة والمفاجآت .. المغامرة والرواية الثانية لي مع العجوز الثرثارة مس " ماربل " .. رواية عبقرية تضاف الى روائع أجاثا بالإضافة إلى أنني توصلت الى القاتل وهو أنجاز يحسب لي :) .. وهو ماجعلها تستحق الـ 5 نجمات..
Frahorus
Primo libro della Christie in cui è protagonista Miss Marple che leggo.
Questo giallo mi ha lasciato poco e devo dire la verità mi ha annoiato.
Al di là del fatto che la vecchietta protagonista non si vede molto nella storia, poi le varie teorie e congetture che vengono fatte ed elaborate per comprendere chi sia o chi siano stati i colpevoli del duplice omicidio oggi non reggerebbero in piedi (una scarpa è una prova? Ma de che?).
Ma la massima della Marple è interessante: "Non ci si può permette
Barbara
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classici
"Non ci si può permettere di credere in tutto ciò che dice la gente. Quando c'è qualcosa di sospetto, non credo a nessuno! Conosco troppo bene la natura umana!"
Erin
#5 book in the Agatha Christie Challenge

Most defintely a thrilling tale from Agatha Christie and my first Miss Marple mystery. Just when I thought I had it all figured out, the rug was pulled out from under me and there was one person I had overlooked. I absolutely loved the dialogue between Miss Marple and the other characters, but I felt Jane Marple was regulated more to the background than I have witnessed Hercule Poirot experience in his books. Overall, I loved it and am glad that my library
Ashley
I love listening to Agatha Christie books when it's cold outside. It's so cozy and comforting and British. This one didn't disappoint, although it's not my favorite of hers so far.

The dead body found in the library conceit was old even back in 1941 when The Body in the Library was first published. Good old Agatha got ahold of it and decided to make it her own. There is indeed a body found in a library at the start of this book, but in quite different circumstances than you'd expect. The Bantry's
CMLE Librarians E...: * March 2018 Book: The Body in the Library 1 2 Mar 02, 2018 01:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct the cover 1 14 Aug 14, 2017 12:59PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 1 17 Aug 04, 2017 07:22AM
Kindle English My...: Facts behind fiction 2 7 Mar 15, 2017 03:17PM
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • No Wind of Blame (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #1)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • Original Sin (Adam Dalgliesh #9)

More about Agatha Christie

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Color Me Murder (Pen & Ink)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fight Dirty (Renegade Justice, #1)
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Professor (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99
“What I feel is that if one has got to have a murder actually happening in one's house, one might as well enjoy it, if you know what I mean.” 30 likes
“Downstairs in the lounge, by the third pillar from the left, there sits an old lady with a sweet, placid, spinsterish face and a mind that has plumbed the depths of human iniquity and taken it all as in the day's work....where crime is concerned, she's the goods.” 17 likes