Start by marking “Hidden (Marchwood Vampires, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden (Marchwood Vampires, #1)

Hidden

(Marchwood Vampires #1)

A paranormal romance that spans the centuries from modern England to 19th century Paris and ancient Cappadocia.

Madison Greene is in foster care until one day she inherits a fortune, she inherits a house, she inherits a cellar full of danger.

Alexandre Chevalier lives in 19th century Paris. On an archaeological expedition, he discovers a lost underground city where his lif
Published May 11th 2011 (first published March 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden

Start your review of Hidden (Marchwood Vampires, #1)
Courtney Wells
Just when I think I'm over vampire books they SUCK ME BACK IN!

Basically what happened was I this: I browsed some indie titles and - after reading the synopsis - just gave the woman my money.

I'm sorry - a girl inherits house with a basement full of "danger" sounded like such a simplistic/brilliant way to just get into the action without so much pomp and pretext! Seriously, sometimes the direct approach just works wonders on my wallet.

So HIDDEN is exactly what it says on the tin and - because of
Suzy Turner
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is, without doubt, one of the best YA novels I have ever read. I just couldn't put it down. I loved the combination of the past and the present intertwined with mystery and romance and downright spookiness!
I can't wait to read the sequel.
If you haven't bought yourself a copy of this book, then do it NOW. It's AWESOME!!
Shalini Boland
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
An epic romantic paranormal adventure that ramps up to an explosive ending.

Merged review:

An epic paranormal romance that ramps up to an explosive ending.
Sarah Dalton
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this, it's just a great, escapist book. When I picked it up I didn't know much about it except that it was about vampires. I didn't realise it was going to be like a mixture of Dracula and Twilight.

This is a new twist on the vampire lore, whilst at the same time maintaining the dark suspense from traditional vampire books. My favourite parts were in Turkey, where there were dark and mysterious moments that are actually quite scary!

Madison is a very cool main character who one
Faye Meredith
There's something deliciously dark in the cellar of a creepy old house that hoodie tearaway Madison Greene inherits. Bricked up behind a centuries-old wall, she discovers room full of vampires. That alone would be enough, but Shalini Boland packs so much intrigue into this book I found it unputdownable. It's got romance, genuine terror and a breathtaking pace which makes you feel you're in a blockbuster rather than a book. Consequently, I spent many a late night immersed in Madison's world when ...more
Ana
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I’m torn. This was a book that had me hooked in parts and feeling less enthusiastic in others. Although I enjoyed much of it, there were elements that felt too familiar, like I’d “been there, read that”.

In the beginning, the author does a great job of telling the story as if it were two separate books, using alternating points of view and experiences. She intertwines the past and the present in a very satisfying way, giving each character their fair share of time and attention. Some might feel t
Nook Books and More Blog
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Vampires with a total different twist then the average books today. Hidden draws you in. There's archaeology, want to be scientist, much more. It's way different then the average vampyr storyline today.
HIDDEN breaks with Transylvanian tradition by placing the vampires deep under the soil of Cappadocia where two archaeologists take their families excavating in 1881, triggering off a series of terrifying adventures. Alex and his family are on an adventure of a lifetime. This adventure changes thi
Rayven
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hidden is the first book in the Marchwood Vampire Series by Shalini Boland. This story is a breath of fresh air in the young adult paranormal genre. Spanning centuries and continents, this lively story takes us on an intriguing journey of discovery and horror that you don't want to end. The story follows Madison Greene and her brother Ben, as their lives take a dramatic turn for the better. Moving out of foster care into their own home and immense wealth. But along with the wealth comes responsi ...more
C.S. Einfeld
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
HIDDEN by Shalini Boland is a YA paranormal romance that delivers, and then some. Madison Greene is the Goth girl we all secretly (or not so secretly), want to be: tough, cool, smart. She's also dealing with some very serious issues: foster-care, borderline-abusive adults, and keeping her little bro, Ben, safe and as carefree as possible in a very dodgy environment. Now, throw in a cadre of ancient, breathtakingly beautiful vampires, and the stage is set for intrigue to ensue.

So far, we've cover
Chelsea
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews-to-do
Updating this (sorry Shalini for the delay)

This was a really great YA Paranormal Romance. It starts out a bit slow because the author is catching you up to how/why it all started so there is some past mixed with the present but the author does a great job. The paranormal part doesn't start right away (maybe halfway through the book?) but you can tell it creeps up on the paranormal aspect from the storyline and what's going on.... you know there's something there but you don't know what. When it
Rachael Cox
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I was completely hooked, captivated from beginning to end! I love the way that both of the stories develop and draw you into the mystery, both are told in such an engaging and interesting way that they really held me. I loved the characters and their escapades, the depth of relationships and the absolute "edge of the seat" suspense. Brilliant! I could confidently say that once you start reading Hidden you will not want to put it down!
Peter Boland
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books you just have to keep reading. The number of times I was tired next day at work because it'd kept me up until the early hours. It's a wonderful, wonderful adventure that starts off in mundane urban life and then catapaults you so hard you nearly get whiplash. Madison is great, and so is Alexandre. What's amazing is how the author gives us an original twist on the vampire novel. Beautiful, beguiling, haunting, creepy and unputdownable!

Caroline
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A slow starter, but this turned into an excellently written vampire adventure, probably one for older teens due to the content in places but a fantastic read and a refreshing change to some of the recent vampire fiction. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will definitely be reading the rest of the series
Jules
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic
Julie
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a Wow!!! story. A must read. Can't wait for the next book.
Shaz Goodwin
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading a story that encompasses two different timelines. To me, this makes it much more interesting. We know there is a connection and the intrigue is in trying to work out how they connect. Hidden is no exception. I loved reading about Paris in 1881 and the two families journey to Turkey. Alongside that, I also loved reading about Maddie in the present day. Each timeline has its crisis point until the timelines merge.

The characters are brilliantly portrayed. The leads, Maddie an
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

I initially bought this book because the cover and synopsis drew me in. I need a change in genre and this was the way to go. This was my first book by this author and I was captivated from page one.

Madison is a down on her luck foster child. Along with her brother Ben they bounce from place to place. Their current home isn't the absolute best with an alcoholic foster dad and a mother who works herself to the bone. Madison acts out at school which results in dire consequences. She i
Zili
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-ya, vamps-ya
As a big fan of anything vampire and history related this was right up my street. Like so many kids I was obsessed with Room 13 (where an evil vampire lives in a hidden room, in a creepy old hotel).

Hidden tells the duel stories of modern day British teenager Madison, and of Alexandre, a French teenager living in the 1800s. Shalini cleverly weaves both stories together until Maddy and Alex eventually meet. Alex and his family leave France to hunt for a lost Turkish village where they face a trag
B. Lloyd
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Vampires, an inheritance with a secret, archaeology, scary men in white coats : all classic ingredients in this upbeat retelling of the vampyr legend.

In this timespill narrative, the lives of 19th century Alexandre and 21st century Maddy cross over in a tantalizing weave, rushing he
Mandy
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
WHAT I THOUGHT

Phew, I’m glad I didn’t miss out on this one is what I thought.

I have not read many vampire books and admit they don’t hold a lot of appeal for me. However, I am so happy I accepted to review Shalini Boland’s excellent book Hidden and am grateful for this reading experience I may not have otherwise had.

What can I say? It wasn’t what I expected. I loved it. I was completely sucked in and didn’t want to put it down. One might say I was captivated.

Now, I have to be careful here not
Emma Sutherland
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brilliant
Think about the sheer number of times a book has claimed to be the one you won’t be able to put down against how many times that statement has been correct. Many fall at this hurdle of truth but Shalini Boland’s first novel ‘Hidden’ has every right to possess this lofty claim. The twin tales of present day teenager Madison and the 18th century Alexandre weave their way through many twists and turns in their respective time zones and interlock beautifully (the joining of their stories is the book ...more
Evelyn Amaro
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read the full review on Paromantasy.com
This book is riddled with mystery, filled with charming romance, with an extra helping of fun and danger thrown into the mix. It's creepy, it's funny, it's romantic, it's fun, it is a thrill ride - so hang on tight and get ready to be taken for tons of twists, turns and bumps when you read Hidden!

Two stories come together as past meet present, and reality mixes with legend as numerous mysteries unfold with each page turned.

Alexandre who lives in 19th centur
Mia Darien
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is very hard for my to rate, mainly because these places won't let my give half stars. I would give this 3.5, I think. As it is, I'll go with three for "liked it" because I can't quite say that I "really liked it."

The pacing of this book felt very weird to me. It didn't feel consistently paced, and it wasn't until after the first hundred pages that I really got into it.

There were elements of the story that I liked. The dual story lines working towards a merging point was good. Madison
Kate’s Book Spot
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win an e-copy of this book from a giveaway on Jera’s Jamboree.

This book is set in 1881 and the modern-day, I was very intrigued as to how the two would intertwine and this made me want to read on to find out.

At this point I enjoyed the modern-day parts the most – Maddy and Ben were fresh and real, they had been through a lot in their short lives so I felt really pleased for them when a surprise revelation changes everything. In 1881 Alexandre and his family are investigatin
Heather Alexander
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book pops back and forth between the story of Maddy and her brother Ben , who are orphans set in current time, and the story of Alexandre in the 1880's. This is absolutely essential to the story and does not detract at all as some do when they have two alternate story lines going at once. Maddy and her brother live with foster parents and are in constant fear of being separated. When a law firm approaches them and tells them of a proposition put forth by a never known, relative from long ag ...more
Samantha Towle
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hidden was everything I hoped it would be, a brand new take on the age old world of vampires. Shalini Boland managed to bring the modern world in to meet with late nineteenth century and make it work perfectly. Vivid descriptions and fluid writing set the scenes, crafting believable and likeable characters. Ben, Madison’s younger brother being one of my favourites, I loved his outlook on the world and life in general! And I also have to say I’m now a little in love with Alexandre!

It’s is one of
Bridgett Brown
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shalini Boland does an incredible job with originality and her writing style is spectacular. I love the 2 different timelines and how they complement each other. Each chapter is a switch between Madison and Alexandre and present time and past time. At the end of each chapter something is left hanging. While reading a chapter I would be thinking about the other character's story and how I couldn't wait to get back to it but then I was still immensely enjoying the current story as well.
Joanna Gawn
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! I don't want to give too much away, but I loved how the dual storylines of 1881 and the present intersected.

Shalini writes with great skill, with each character having a distinct voice.

I look forward to reading more.

If the option existed, I would have raised this rating to 4.5 stars.
Kristen
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This book started strong, I was captivated by Alex's story. About midway I started to lose interest. I felt that the relationship felt rushed and I felt like I was reading a long summary. I think the author had some great ideas just wished I had felt more for the characters and their interactions with one another.
Regina
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Here's my official review and giveaway:

LOVED. This book. Such a great read for any fans of the genre. The story is well written and intriguing with just a hint of Twilight-esque similarities.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
PARANORMAL 1 4 Aug 01, 2014 07:47AM
Goodreads Giveaway Winner 2 10 Aug 26, 2012 11:37AM
Be a Vampire in my new Novel 1 13 Oct 03, 2011 07:08AM
Goodreads Giveaway Winner 1 3 Jul 31, 2011 03:49AM
50% Off for a limited time only 1 4 Jul 05, 2011 04:54AM
48 Hour Ebook Giveaway 1 5 Jun 24, 2011 02:44AM

• My Dragon Lord (Broken Souls #1)
  • The Lost Vampire Prince (Evil Rising #1)
  • One Foot in the Grave (The Mortician's Daughter, #1)
  • The Vampires Spell (Taken By The Night #1)
  • Richer Than God
  • Awakening (The Equinox Pact #1)
  • Dragon's Captive (Dragons of Rur #1)
  • Ravenite (Vengeance and Vampires, #1)
  • Bellamy and The Brute (Bellamy and the Brute, #1)
  • Secret of McKinley Mansion
  • Grave Consequences (Hellgate Guardians, #2)
  • Grave Mistakes (Hellgate Guardians, #1)
  • Kissing the Coronavirus
  • Deadline (Blood Trails, #1)
  • Hunger (Vampires Realm, #8)
  • Thin Air: A Ghost Story
  • Coasting (Gold Hockey, #8)
  • Fate Bound (Fate Bound Saga #1)
Hello :) I write suspense thrillers and dark adventures, and I live in Dorset, England with my husband, two children and our dog. I only write reviews for books I enjoy!

*** Be the first to hear about my NEW THRILLER RELEASES here: http://eepurl.com/b4vb45 ***

*** Join up to get FREE eBOOK DEALS here: http://www.ebooksoda.com ***

Now available:
THE BEST FRIEND - a chilling psychological thriller
THE GI

Marchwood Vampires (3 books)
  • Thicker Than Blood (Marchwood Vampires, #2)
  • Hunted (Marchwood Vampires, #3)