Start by marking “Please Don't Make Me Go: How One Boy's Courage Overcame A Brutal Childhood” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Please Don't Make Me G...

John Fenton

Please Don't Make Me Go: How One Boy's Courage Overcame A Brutal Childhood

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  249 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews

The harrowing true story of one boy’s experiences in a brutal ‘approved’ school for young offenders in ‘50s London, run by Catholic monks where violence and abuse were rife.

Beaten from an early age by his abusive, father, John struggled to fit in at school where his poverty marked him out. When, aged 13, his father brought a charge against him in order to remove him from t

Published (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Please Don't Make Me Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Don't Make Me Go

Geno
I was frankly disappointed in this book. At times it came across as a rather violent boy scout camp. The mention of drives out to take part in sporting contests, ballroom dancing lessons, police being called in didn't ring true! Although it might have been for those times. It wasn’t at later dates

These kind of places usually get better as the years go by and as society allows less punishment...this approve school seems to have been the exception. I know this because I was in it 1969 - 71.

Caning
Jessy6066
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMFG! This book is awesome! i loved it, it truely is magnificent. i love the way he helps his mother, and has so much love for her! i cant imagen what he went through, but i fell so sorry for him to have to go through such volatile behavior. His friend Bernie sounds like a nice guy, whom i would hang out with if i got the chance.
Chris
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can you say a great read knowing the heartache John Fenton went thru. 2017 is with us and things haven't really changed, but knowing these atrocities are now being bought to light, I take my hat off to you John for your steadfastness. Would love to know where those photos ended up. Your courage is worth bottling. Thanks for sharing your life with me.
Rachael Brown
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent book. i started reading it at 10pm last night till 7am in the morning oops and ive just finished it now. it is such a say story but a happy ending and im now glad he is retired with his family in cumbria x x
Tito Quiling, Jr.
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My misconception about this book is that it basically exposes clerical abuse, and that's it. As it turns out, Please Don't Make Me Go (2008) is a biography by John Fenton, which retells the author's experiences as a juvenile "delinquent" in an approved school (a reformatory institution cum trade school).

Although my knowledge of London in the 1950s is quite limited, one would be able to set the actions right in that era as vivid details are provided althroughout the book. As a child, John grew up
Fiona
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio
As I was reading this book, I kept muttering "bastard". There were many rotten people in young John Fenton's life.

This is the true story of the author growing up in the suburbs of London in the late 1950's. His father was always beating up his mother and he was bullied at school. Finally, at the age of 13, he took a knife and threatened his father with it during one of his mother's beatings. The father had the courts through him in a juvenile home for a couple of weeks. He liked it; he was not b
Kanwal Ahmer
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Is a really nice book which I would recommend to people , it's really intriguing and the fact that it's a true story written about none other than the author himself makes it much more amazing and interesting. It shows that how determined the boy was to fight back and he did fight back and was victorious. The concept of doers and dreamers is really inspiring. Hats off to John Fenton , the writer who changed my mind about a lot of things in my life :)
Sianne Morrison
What a heart breaking story. This is a story about a boy who wouldn't let the system break him. A horrible home life, horrible childhood, but in the end with the support of a very few, he made something of himself. It is horrifying that anyone could treat little children with this level of violence in the name of rehabilitation and conformation to the system.
Den
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true, 2012
I still can't understand how people can be so cruel especially those there to help children. I so felt for the boy and glad he managed to get things changed for future boys. He did well to come through the ordeal.
Patsy Chilson
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So very sad to know this type of treatment went on in these places. Catholic brothers … cruel and sick..
Very interesting read for me… wish he would have elaborated more on the part from getting out of prison and making a normal life for himself.
Catherine Williams
This book was amazing, I loved hearing what happened and how he survived. It was terrible what happened to him and I'm so happy that he's happy with a family now. Great book!
Rachel
check out mt review on rachelreadsandreviews.blogspot.co.uk
Elaine
Loved this book, I couldn't put it down, such a sad story.
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read. Although i'm glad i read it i can't help feeling i've read lots like it! Sad but true i'm afraid.
Rina
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-non-fiction
Inspirational and a must read
Melanie
This book made me want to cry.. the obstacles John Fenton has had to overcome to lead a "normal" life are heartbreaking!
Jessica Liu
"You can only hurt a person so much and then he doesn't feel the pain anymore. A hard man can take a kicking and not whine about it." - John Fenton
Bev Hill
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the pattern of the story. I really love it. A how-to-be-a-thug book =)) horay for john fenton.
lauren costello
interesting read
Jennifer Komlyk
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story. a must read.
Jahnel
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the most inspirational books ive ever had the plessure to read! im glad i got the chance to read such and amazing book
Rea du Plessis
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Aangrypende outobiografie van "How one boy's courage overcame a brutal childhood". Hartseer
Jessica Dale
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Softie's won't be able to control their feels with this book, let's just put it that way. It was heartbreaking.
Tjlefeberbigpond.com
Could not put down, so awful so many children were traumatized by this type of treatment
Chu Ching Leow
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So empty after finished reading this book.
Shirley
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story. A poor sad boy but happy later in life. A MUST READ
Michelle Sibley
rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2011
Rainy_summerday
Sep 05, 2014
Sophie Yiangou
May 17, 2013
  • I Did Tell, I Did: The True Story Of A Little Girl Betrayed By Those Who Should Have Loved Her
  • Will Mummy Be Coming Back For Me?
  • Goodbye Teddy
  • The Girl in the Wicker Basket
  • What Daddy Did: The Shocking True Story of a Little Girl Betrayed
  • Nowhere to Run
  • Silent Sisters
  • Mother from Hell: Two Brothers, a Sadistic Mother, a Childhood Destroyed
  • Why I Didn't Say Anything
  • Unbeaten
  • Tell Me Why, Mummy: A Little Boy’s Struggle to Survive. A Mother’s Shameful Secret. The Power to Forgive.
  • Cry Myself to Sleep
  • Nobody Came: The Appalling True Story of Brothers Cruelly Abused in a Jersey Care Home
  • Escaping Daddy
  • Our Little Secret
  • Don't You Love Your Daddy?
  • Daddy's Little Girl