Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Celebrates Children with Special Needs: Stories of Love and Understanding for Those Who Care for Children with Disabilities” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Chicken Soup for the S...

Jack Canfield

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

'These powerful heart-rending stories are filled with honesty, humor, hope and offer inspiration to parents, teachers, and anyone else who cares for children with special needs. By embracing the magnificence, inner peace, and beauty each child possess, our own attitudes are shifted from despair to promise.'

—Gerold G Jampolsky, M.D., Founder of International Center of Atti

Published (first published September 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Soul

Martha
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the Chicken Soup for the Soul books that I have read so far this one is perhaps the most heartwarming. These are stories of love and understanding for those that care for children with disabilities. I both have a brother with Down syndrome and teach children with disabilities so I could relate to the stories. I laughed and cried through many of the stories as the writers shared their joys and struggles, pain and laughter of caring for someone with a disabilty.
Rhonda
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and will likely reread it as needed to help us with our daily routine(s) for our son with CP. While knowing that others are suffering is not a positive thing in and of itself, knowing that he is not alone and we are not alone is comforting.
Jenny
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how to rate this. It's actually more of a 2.5. It's hard for me to rate this because Who in the world gives a TWO STARS to a Chicken Soup for the Soul book, for heaven's sake!? Chicken Soup for the Soul's are all the same model and format. And they follow that to appeal to a certain audience -- and they have been amazingly successful. I read a few as a teenager myself. So, I guess I knew that coming in, but despite my knowledge of the type of book -- and my predetermined idea that I ...more
Felishia
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book, but i wish that there were more stories in there about physically disabled kids.
Carley Adair
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so inspiring .

I loved this book it showed me anything is possible. I have autism myself and understand how the people in the stories felt .
Erin Brady
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for any parent or teacher!!
Nicole
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-learners
DIVERSE LEARNERS

I've read a couple Chicken Soup for the Soul books and I've really enjoyed the few I have read so far, they are all uplifting and have inspirational messages. All the Chicken Soup for the Soul are written the same way/format but the focus of each book ranges. My older sister is an elementary teacher and encouraged me to read this book, and I found the stories very heartwarming and inspiring. The book really emphasizes that each child is equally important and special, and that we
Kristin
I bought this book hoping to gain some insight into my mom's job, as she teaches students with both behavioral and medical issues, primarily autism. A lot of the stories in here focus on autistic children, which is a sign how prevalent the disorder is in today's world. While I didn't necessarily learn anything that I could pass on to my mom to help her deal with the stresses of her job, I found the stories very heartwarming.
There are definitely good people out there who can see the bright side
Aastha
I regret not owning a physical copy of this book as I'd love to set it aflame.

I should have known what I was getting into though, as the series doesn't contain an edition for the disabled soul. Each story is framed from the carer's point of view,with the disabled people framed as either challenges to be overcome or paragons of virtue "blessed" with extraordinary chirpiness or patience or bravery or innocence.

Break out your ablism bingo card and take a shot every time you get a square : you mig
Princess
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Chicken Soup books. Cheesy, I know. They never fail to make me cry and my husband doesn't understand why I would do this to myself. I do not have a special needs child myself, but I have worked with special needs children in the past, my niece has a heart defect and one of my daughter's closest friends has Down Syndrome. I really did enjoy this book. I learned more about autism and cerebral palsy. The stories were incredibly inspiring.
Missy
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a wonderfully insightful book with stories of hopes, dreams, accomplishments, and most of all, love and perseverance. I highly recommend the book to everyone, especially those that have SN kids, as to know you are not alone in this "normal" world.
Kathy Luersman
It's a Chicken Soup book, and it does its job as a Chicken Soup book - it's uplifting, motivational, heartwarming, etc. Just don't go into it thinking this is the book that will give you perspective on raising a special needs child. It's a tad more complicated than what these guys make it.
Liz
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cried, laughed, and beamed with pride after reading many of these stories. This definitely made me appreciate my students that much more and all of their stories.
Dina
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encouraging and inspiring stories. A good book to read for those who care for children with special needs.
Renee Benoit
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
full of fun stories of special needs children doing some interesting things guaranteed to make you laugh and smile. Things that parents of special needs children can really relate to.
Debbie
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of stories about children with special needs. I really liked this book.
Mary
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming and inspiring.
Mandy Huot
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having a nephew with Autism, I enjoyed reading this book and the many stories included. I enjoyed the ability to e-mail some of the authors and personally thank them for their story.
Annie
Melissa
Mar 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • His Brother's Keeper
  • Like Sound Through Water: A Mother's Journey Through Auditory Processing Disorder
  • After the Fire: A True Story of Friendship and Survival
  • What's Wrong With Timmy?
  • Needles: A Memoir Of Growing Up With Diabetes
  • Eleven Seconds: A Story of Tragedy, Courage & Triumph
  • Ryan White: My Own Story
  • Breath: A Lifetime in the Rhythm of an Iron Lung: A Memoir

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...