Start by marking “The Federalist Papers with corresponding "Antifederalist Papers"” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Federalist Papers ...

Alexander Hamilton

The Federalist Papers with corresponding "Antifederalist Papers"

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The Federalist Papers are a series of 85 articles or essays by James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay, advocating the ratification of the United States Constitution.

The Anti-Federalist Papers are a collection of articles, written in opposition to the ratification of the 1787 United States Constitution. Unlike the Federalist Papers written in support of the Constit
Nook, 0 pages
Published April 4th 2011 by Jon Elliott (first published February 1st 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about The Federalist Papers with corresponding "Antifederalist Papers"

John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who doubts the genius of the founding fathers never read these papers.
Bonnie Carruth
My grandmothers gained the right to vote in 1920. One died in 1946, and one in 1947 and the voted in every election they were qualified to do so.
Wendy
Am I a federalist? Am I an anti-federalist? I keep getting confused! :)
Derek
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read it yet but from my opinion it will be a great, interesting book.
John Devlin
First its a tough read when you know who's going to win the argument. Then theres all the inside baseball discussions and the Anti's complaining about everything: the terms of the pols are too short, they're too long, they should be forced out, they should stay in, the judicial branch is too weak, the judicial branch is too strong, the President will be the Senate's puppet, the President will be a tyrannical king, and hey where's the bill of rights.

It's a miracle the Constitution ever passed. Af
Joel Brown
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even a general search for meaning in the US constitution is not complete without reading the arguments for or against its ratification. As I listen to individuals argue various constitutional issues (such as the 2nd ammendment) I always have to ask if they've read these papers. It seems that very few have. It's sad that in a pivotal time of collosal issues that face America that our citizens have such a shaky understanding of the fundamental laws that undergird all our legislative questions. Rea ...more
Brian
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good compilation of the more important Federalist Papers with some writings against adoption of the Constitution. I was struck by some of the common themes against: that it would lead to a government solely by and for elites, that the VP has nothing to do, that the VP would have a big influence in the Senate, and so on.
Lady of the Lake
Boring? No, not boring when thought about as history in the making! I am fascinated by my countries founding fathers and how it all came about to put this country on it's road to greatness! Dry? Perhaps yes dry reading I'll give in to that! However I'm Happy that I read this!
Mitchell Thompson
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I turned to this book during a final collegiate research project on the subject inequality. Wonderful piece of work and amazing insight into the works and minds of those for and against the US Constitution.
Zoran
A must read for anyone who wants context about the making of the nation and the US Constitution.... it is a bit dry, however it is original material...
Jason
Aug 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK for a first read, but the whole book is necessary to really understand the debate
Joey Bredesen
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic text.
MET
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read only if you want to understand American politics
Jim
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sales presentation for our Constitution.
Banana
Jul 08, 2014
Julia
Jul 31, 2009
Ali
rated it did not like it
Mar 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Restoring the Lost Constitution: The Presumption of Liberty
  • The Market for Liberty
  • The Theory of the Four Movements
  • Hamilton's Curse: How Jefferson's Arch Enemy Betrayed the American Revolution--and What It Means for Americans Today
  • Systems of Survival: A Dialogue on the Moral Foundations of Commerce and Politics
  • Supreme Power: Franklin Roosevelt vs. the Supreme Court
  • The Enterprise of Law: Justice Without the State
  • The Political Order of a Free People
  • Neoliberalism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Faith of the Faithless: Experiments in Political Theology
  • The Path of the Law (Little Books of Wisdom)
  • The Edward Said Reader
  • Building Powerful Community Organizations: A Personal Guide to Creating Groups that Can Solve Problems and Change the World

Alexander Hamilton (January 11, 1755 or 1757 – July 12, 1804) was the first United States Secretary of the Treasury, a Founding Father, economist, and political philosopher. He led calls for the Philadelphia Convention, was one of America's first Constitutional lawyers, an